PDA

View Full Version : Collision avoidance device

Jim Hendrix
October 6th 04, 07:13 AM
SureCheck Aviation now offers a low cost proximity detection device that's
suitable for glider use. It receives transponder transmissions and
indicates nearness of the source. This unit is the size of a credit card
and operates on batteries. Velcro it above your panel and you're done.
This should be a major help in commercial and military traffic areas. See
it at my web site, www.oxaero.com.
Jim Hendrix

bumper
October 19th 04, 09:24 AM
I looked at ShureChecks new cheaper option with interest. However, I think
it important to consider this models limitations. It only provides
approximate range . . . period. Some of the more expensive TPAS devices,
just as suitable for glider use, provide much more.

I have been using a Prevalent R5 for almost a year in all my aircraft (I
move the unit from one to another). I mounts nicely on my ASH26E glareshield
without blocking forward vision. The R5 gives much more info that this
particular model of ShureCheck, and in fact, gives more data that any other
TPAS I'm aware of.

The R5 displays up to 3 threat aircraft at a time; their squawk code (this
info lets you know if they are talking to ATC and so you'll have a
reasonable assurance that you have been pointed out to them, assuming you
have a transponder); their altitude or the difference in their altitude from
yours; trend - climbing, level, descending; and distance.

None of these relatively inexpensive TPAS units gives bearing info. The R5
costs around $1K.

Consider that if you get an alert with the cheaper ShureCheck model
mentioned, you'll have no idea where the aircraft is, not even its altitude!
With the R5, if a threat aircraft is at or near my altitude, the only
question is bearing. If it's a thousand feet below me, I'll still try to
find it, but the situation is less urgent. With the ShureCheck, most all
alerts with decreasing range would be urgent. In a busy area I'd find that a
real pain.

I consider TPAS a great tool in helping spot nearby aircraft. I also use it
while on flight following in my Mooney. Amazing how many aircraft ATC
doesn't call as they are not really a conflict . . . still fun to try and
find 'em when the R5 alerts.

The R5 has alerted me to several aircraft while in the glider. One of which
came from my rear quarter, same altitude, while I was running between
thermals. Without the alert, I would never have S-turned to find him. It was
not so close he would have hit me, but it was close. He never saw me as he
cut across my nose less that 400 yards distant.

bumper

"Jim Hendrix" > wrote in message
> SureCheck Aviation now offers a low cost proximity detection device that's
> suitable for glider use. It receives transponder transmissions and
> indicates nearness of the source. This unit is the size of a credit card
> and operates on batteries. Velcro it above your panel and you're done.
> This should be a major help in commercial and military traffic areas. See
> it at my web site, www.oxaero.com.
> Jim Hendrix

Google