PDA

View Full Version : First Flight of Schweizer 1-20

Guy Byars
December 4th 04, 10:04 AM
The restoration of the only factory built Schewizer 1-20 concluded yesterday
with the issuance of a C/A and its first flight at Waynesville OH.

Photos at:

http://www.gfbyars.com/SGU1-20/index.html

Three flights were successfully completed and the aircraft few extremely
well.

Guy Byars

Paul Remde
December 4th 04, 08:51 PM
Hi Guy,

Congratulations on the first flight. It looks great!

I may have mentioned this to you before, but a local glider pilot owns a
Schweizer 1-20. I'm not certain that it is 100% 1-20 parts but it looks
very much like your glider. It is painted orange and called "the pumpkin".
It is an open cockpit glider (sport canopy?). It was fun watching him go
ground launches behind a pick-up truck at Albert Lea because as he flew over
the hangar he (Roger Gomoll) would whoop and holler down to us and we could
hear him. This was on a calm evening flight.

I was blessed with an in-flight visit by the pumpkin on my Silver Distance
flight. I flew from Albert Lea up to Stanton. Upon arriving near Stanton I
saw the pumpkin join me in a thermal. He was waving and yelling. I
couldn't hear him in the Pilatus I was flying but I could tell he was
welcoming me. After taking turnpoint photos of Stanton I made it back to
Albert Lea. It was a great day and it was fun to share it with Roger in the
pumpkin. There is a write-up of the flight here:
http://www.soarmn.com/soaring_files/flightstories/greatday.pdf

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

"Guy Byars" > wrote in message
> The restoration of the only factory built Schewizer 1-20 concluded
yesterday
> with the issuance of a C/A and its first flight at Waynesville OH.
>
> Photos at:
>
> http://www.gfbyars.com/SGU1-20/index.html
>
> Three flights were successfully completed and the aircraft few extremely
> well.
>
> Guy Byars

Jibpilot
December 4th 04, 09:00 PM
Very Nice! I have enjoyed watching your progress. Excellent job.

Good and Safe Flying,

Gunnar Blanke

Guy Byars
December 4th 04, 10:11 PM
> I may have mentioned this to you before, but a local glider pilot owns a

> Schweizer 1-20. I'm not certain that it is 100% 1-20 parts but it looks

> very much like your glider.

I have a web page for Roger's glider on my 1-20 site:

http://www.gfbyars.com/SGU1-20/n37hh.html

His glider was originally a 1-19, but was converted to a 1-20 some time
later. NX-91840 was the only "factory" 1-20.

Guy

Google