PDA

View Full Version : Finger Pulse Oximeter on Sale

Ray Lovinggood
December 14th 04, 02:31 AM
In today's Avweb.com e-mail, one of their sponsors
is advertising a 5% reduction in price for their finger
pulse oximeter.

See the webpage at:

http://www.avweb.com/shopping/sponsors/aeromedix.html

Their advertised price, with 5% reduction coupon is
$US 348.98.

The advertised model is the Nonin 'Flight Stat.' They
say this is for non-prescription sale whereas the Nonin
'9500 Onxy' is FDA approved for medical use only and
sold only by prescription.

I don't know if this is a good buy or not, just though
I would pass it along.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Vaughn
December 14th 04, 11:30 AM
"Ray Lovinggood" > wrote in message
> In today's Avweb.com e-mail, one of their sponsors
> The advertised model is the Nonin 'Flight Stat.' They
> say this is for non-prescription sale whereas the Nonin
> '9500 Onxy' is FDA approved for medical use only and
> sold only by prescription.

Be aware that the FliteStat (unless changed in the last year or so) uses
red LED readouts that can't be read in direct sunlight. Otherwise, it is a
great instrument.

Vaughn

Steve Hill
December 14th 04, 04:58 PM
The red LED readout seems to work fine, regardless of the lighting
conditions...I've used mine for two years now and have never had difficulty
reading the numbers...I mounted mine on the left side of the cockpit rail so
that you don't have to mess around figuring out which way your finger goes
in to get a good reading...Batteries last the entire season and all in all
for the money it's a great little unit...I do know that it is not accurate
once temperatures fall below freezing...so then you have to revert to having
it in your glove...or otherwise kept near body temp to get accurate numbers.

Steve.

keithw
December 15th 04, 05:24 AM
You may also try this product , I will be ordering one for myself.

http://www.scantechmedical.com/spo_medical.htm

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Eric Greenwell
December 15th 04, 05:47 AM
keithw wrote:
> You may also try this product , I will be ordering one for myself.
>

> http://www.scantechmedical.com/spo_medical.htm

Please let us know how it works out. The readability and battery life
with the LCD display, and cost are very attractive!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Leo
December 20th 04, 03:44 AM
The pulse oximeter in question is a great device. I own one, and as an
anesthesiologist, I have tested it at a research lab while comparing to
the best pulse oximeters used in medicine.

The Nonin is just as good!

Although it is difficult to read in sunlight sometimes, I have not
found this to be a major problem.

Leo

Eric Greenwell
December 20th 04, 06:34 AM
Leo wrote:
> The pulse oximeter in question is a great device. I own one, and as an
> anesthesiologist, I have tested it at a research lab while comparing to
> the best pulse oximeters used in medicine.

Which oximeter are you referring to? You didn't quote anything, and my
newsreader didn't put your post in a thread, so I can't tell which one
you replied to.

Have you used it while wave flying, and does it have any problems with
low temperatures?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Gary Boggs
December 20th 04, 05:02 PM
I have a Nonin Onyx and have used it at high altitudes in wave and it works
well. I sure wish it had an alarm that you could set on it, I worry that if
you did actually start getting hypoxic, you might forget to look at it
regularly or maybe get confused and read it wrong. I actually have an extra
one if anyone is interested.

Gary Boggs

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> Leo wrote:
> > The pulse oximeter in question is a great device. I own one, and as an
> > anesthesiologist, I have tested it at a research lab while comparing to
> > the best pulse oximeters used in medicine.
>
> Which oximeter are you referring to? You didn't quote anything, and my
> newsreader didn't put your post in a thread, so I can't tell which one
> you replied to.
>
> Have you used it while wave flying, and does it have any problems with
> low temperatures?
>
> --
> Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
>
> Eric Greenwell
> Washington State
> USA

TomnKeyLargo
December 21st 04, 03:11 AM
I will start the bidding at $ 5 USD. # 711.

Google