PDA

View Full Version : A Sure Thing

December 30th 04, 04:47 PM
First day of the Avenal contest this uear, the call was 25 mile turn
area task around just one turn (Buena Vista). I struggled for over an
hour and finally made it to about 25 miles north of the turn. Found
myself on a low ridge covered with oil wells. Flew down the ridge and
didn't find a thing. Looking grim when, right in front of me, a
gigantic gas burner suddenly ignited. It looked like the burner on your
kitchen stove, except this one must have been 20 foot across. I
emmediately dove for it and hung a hard left when I got the surge.
Giggling and cranking, I rode that sucker to 8000 AGL. Feeling good
about my secret thermal, I decided to go deep into the turn-area, so I
flew 20 south, made the turn and centered up for another pass on my
secret thermal. I could see it clearly, glowing in the distance. Like a
sailer returning after a long cruise, I headed for my beacon on the
hill. Things were working so well, I put the nose down and came smokin'
in. About a mile out, my secret thermal, my beacon, my gas
burner,-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------****
OFF

I landed at Belridge, so much for sure things.

Best wishes for 2005, see you at Avenal, Parowan and Montague.
:>) JJ

December 30th 04, 05:02 PM
Oops, Froidan slip, Make that ------------------SHUT
OFF----------------

JJ

Gary Boggs
December 30th 04, 05:02 PM
Just fill the ballast tanks with gas, dump it when you get low and light it,
for a sure thing next time.

Gary Boggs

oups.com...

--------------------------------------------------------****
> OFF
>
> I landed at Belridge, so much for sure things.
>
> Best wishes for 2005, see you at Avenal, Parowan and Montague.
> :>) JJ

Andy Blackburn
December 30th 04, 05:18 PM
JJ has retrofitted the burner with the remote from
his gas-log fireplace -- so watch out in 2005!

Happy New Year

9B

------------------------------****
>OFF
>
>I landed at Belridge, so much for sure things.
>
>Best wishes for 2005, see you at Avenal, Parowan and
>Montague.
>:>) JJ

Nyal Williams
December 30th 04, 06:55 PM
At 18:00 30 December 2004, Andy Blackburn wrote:
>JJ has retrofitted the burner with the remote from
>his gas-log fireplace -- so watch out in 2005!

I think that is called Sangfroid.

Nyal Williams

>Happy New Year
>
>9B
>
>At 17:30 30 December 2004, wrote:
>>First day of the Avenal contest this uear, the call
>>was 25 mile turn
>>area task around just one turn (Buena Vista). I struggled
>>for over an
>>hour and finally made it to about 25 miles north of
>>the turn. Found
>>myself on a low ridge covered with oil wells. Flew
>>down the ridge and
>>didn't find a thing. Looking grim when, right in front
>>of me, a
>>gigantic gas burner suddenly ignited. It looked like
>>the burner on your
>>kitchen stove, except this one must have been 20 foot
>>across. I
>>emmediately dove for it and hung a hard left when I
>>got the surge.
>>Giggling and cranking, I rode that sucker to 8000 AGL.
>>Feeling good
>>about my secret thermal, I decided to go deep into
>>the turn-area, so I
>>flew 20 south, made the turn and centered up for another
>>pass on my
>>secret thermal. I could see it clearly, glowing in
>>the distance. Like a
>>sailer returning after a long cruise, I headed for
>>my beacon on the
>>hill. Things were working so well, I put the nose down
>>and came smokin'
>>in. About a mile out, my secret thermal, my beacon,
>>my gas
>>burner,-----------------------------------------------------------[i]
>>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------

>------------------------------****
>>OFF
>>
>>I landed at Belridge, so much for sure things.
>>
>>Best wishes for 2005, see you at Avenal, Parowan and
>>Montague.
>>:>) JJ

Mark James Boyd
January 8th 05, 12:16 AM
> wrote:
>First day of the Avenal contest this uear, the call was 25 mile turn
>didn't find a thing. Looking grim when, right in front of me, a
>gigantic gas burner suddenly ignited. It looked like the burner on your
>kitchen stove, except this one must have been 20 foot across. I
>
>I landed at Belridge, so much for sure things.

Belridge gets MIGHTY popular when the stupid sea air
sucks through the pass. Mario has some kind of deal with
God where God shows him exactly where the convergence is and
Mario swears off fish for a day, or something like that :-O
--

Mark J. Boyd

Google