PDA

View Full Version : Soaring in the Syndey, AUS area

Atacdad
January 2nd 05, 06:47 AM
I'll probably be in the Sydney area sometime during February...are there any
operations in the area, if I want to get a fix for my soaring addiction?

TIA

AT

Peter Creswick
January 2nd 05, 07:18 AM
Atacdad wrote:
> I'll probably be in the Sydney area sometime during February...are there any
> operations in the area, if I want to get a fix for my soaring addiction?
>
> TIA
>
> AT

Depends how much tie you have, how far you want to travel, and what kind
of soaring you want to do.

Simply put, within about a 70 statute mile radius of the city, there are
only three sites, Mangrove Mountain to the north, Camden to the south
west and Carrick, further south west. All three have height limits due
to Sydney International airspace, and the terrain outside the city is
largely mountainous and unlandable, so cross country flying is not a
realistic option except for top pilots in super ships with good met.

The good soaring sites are further away, to the west, on the other side
of the Blue Mountains. The closest is Pipers Field at Bathurst (about
100 miles) and then Narromine about another 100 miles out (200 miles).
There are others, all further away from Sydney, to the north (coast),
north west, and south west.

For starters, I suggest you have a look at the GFA (Glideing Federation
of Australia) web site at:-
http://www.gfa.org.au/clubs/clubsnsw.php

If you have further questions just ask.
Regards,
PC

Peter Creswick
January 2nd 05, 07:30 AM
Atacdad wrote:

> I'll probably be in the Sydney area sometime during February...are there any
> operations in the area, if I want to get a fix for my soaring addiction?
>
> TIA
>
> AT

A further thought. I may be worth joining the Aus-soaring mail list.
Lots of people there with up-to-date information.

smjmitchell
January 2nd 05, 10:38 AM
There is the RAAF club at Richmond AFB as well but not sure if they welcome
visitors. Richmond is approx approx 1 hr 15 minutes drive west of the city
centre (70 km at a guess).

"Peter Creswick" > wrote in message
> Atacdad wrote:
>
> > I'll probably be in the Sydney area sometime during February...are there
any
> > operations in the area, if I want to get a fix for my soaring addiction?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > AT
> >

> A further thought. I may be worth joining the Aus-soaring mail list.
> Lots of people there with up-to-date information.

Mal.com
January 3rd 05, 01:55 AM
http://www.gfa.org.au/clubs/clubsnsw.php

The state championships are on in Feb at Temora worth a visit.

"smjmitchell" > wrote in message
> There is the RAAF club at Richmond AFB as well but not sure if they
> welcome
> visitors. Richmond is approx approx 1 hr 15 minutes drive west of the
> city
> centre (70 km at a guess).
>

> "Peter Creswick" > wrote in message
>> Atacdad wrote:
>>
>> > I'll probably be in the Sydney area sometime during February...are
>> > there
> any
>> > operations in the area, if I want to get a fix for my soaring
>> > addiction?
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> > AT
>> >

>> A further thought. I may be worth joining the Aus-soaring mail list.
>> Lots of people there with up-to-date information.

Atacdad
January 3rd 05, 05:43 AM
Thank you all, good info.

AT

"Mal.com" > wrote in message
> http://www.gfa.org.au/clubs/clubsnsw.php
>
> The state championships are on in Feb at Temora worth a visit.
>
> "smjmitchell" > wrote in message
>> There is the RAAF club at Richmond AFB as well but not sure if they
>> welcome
>> visitors. Richmond is approx approx 1 hr 15 minutes drive west of the
>> city
>> centre (70 km at a guess).

>> any

>>> A further thought. I may be worth joining the Aus-soaring mail list.
>>> Lots of people there with up-to-date information.

Google