PDA

View Full Version : Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 pics 3 - Focke-Achgelis_Fa223.jpg ...

Miloch
September 8th 18, 02:52 PM
*

Miloch
September 8th 18, 07:30 PM
In article >, Stormin' Norman says...

>On 8 Sep 2018 06:52:06 -0700, Miloch >
>wrote:
>
>Your post prompted me to wonder about how they controlled this
>impressive machine. I found another site with quite a bit of detailed
>information. Below is an excerpt and a link to the site.
>
>"...Control of the Fa 223 was in the following manner. The control
>column was used to give longitudinal control by equal cyclic-pitch
>change of the rotor blades, and lateral control by differential
>collective-pitch change of the rotor blades. The rudder pedals were
>used to give yaw control by differential cyclic-pitch change of the
>rotor blades, the control effect being increased by use of the rudder
>during forward flight. A trimmer wheel was provided for tailplane
>adjustment, and all control links were by cables. Two machines
>(numbered 13 and 16) were experimentally fitted with a separate
>collective-pitch lever next to the throttle, and a throttle governor
>to maintain a constant engine speed, but this arrangement was under
>development only. On all other machines, the pilot had a lever with
>only two positions for collective pitch, one for powered setting and
>one for autorotation. In addition, an automatic device adjusted the
>tailplane and altered the blade pitch from the powered setting to the
>autorotation setting for a glide landing in the event of a power
>failure, but the pitch could not be reset in the air. Thus, apart from
>pitch adjustments for attitude control, the rotors must be regarded as
>having had a fixed pitch, the lift being controlled by the engine
>throttle. This fact reduced the safety, handling, and performance
>characteristics and, in order to maintain a constant rotor speed
>during a climb, progressive engine throttling was necessary and this
>cancelled out the benefits of an engine supercharger. Considerable
>skill and experience was also necessary during hovering and low-speed
>flight because of the very sluggish lift control; more than one Fa 223
>was lost when making downwind turns at low level. ...."
>
>http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/focke_drache.php

Interesting info...two rotors...left and right...are just 90° off from a
Chinooks front and back rotors...on paper, it looks simple but the handling
characteristics via collective and cyclic would be hugely different...I think.

Looks like you got all the pics...all I got were three pics plus the vid and not
the pic you referenced.

*

Google