PDA

View Full Version : Airsickness

Jim Kelly
January 10th 05, 02:20 AM
Greetings!

I have been plagued by airsickness. Struggled with it during
training but the flights were short and it did go away to some
extent, especially when I made a point of eating fresh ginger
daily.

Now that I am attempting longer flights it is bugging me again.
It seriously spoils the fun and is no doubt dangerous especially
at it's onset due to it's effect on concentration level. It
clearly has something to do with the ear as it seems to be
associated with odd feelings there and the vario volume level
waning (and lots of yawning which seems to clear this).

Google research brings up ideas under these general areas:

* Hydration (already do this well)

* Oxygen

* Ginger is a natural anti-emetic
Candied Ginger and Gingersnaps
Ginger powder (from the grocery store) loaded into gelatin
capsules and taken before flight.

* Woodside Biomedical ReliefBand (electrically stimulates the
median nerve)
http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=aeromedix&_sessid=815c2aa034ed6a4884e631140549c1ab&action=sku&sku=rbel

* An over-the-counter "drug" which has no systemic effect
and is therefore okay in the FAA's eyes. It's called Emetrol
(phosphorated carbohydrates) and comes as a sweet syrup.
It is a formula based on the traditional use of Coke syrup as a
nausea treatment (back in the days when soda fountains actually
used the stuff). Dosage is one teaspoon per hour, and some people
find it helpful.

* Acupuncture needles are applied to the inside of the wrist to
stimulate the median nerve. This stimulation seems to block the
nausea reflex for reasons which are still not entirely clear.

* So-called "acupressure bands" have started appearing in pilot
shops and catalogs. These are elastic bands with protrusions that
apply pressure to the wrist, supposedly to stimulate the median
nerve in the fashion of acupuncture.
<<<

Anyone able to share any ways that they have conquered this
curse??

Many thanks,

Jim Kelly

Mal.com
January 10th 05, 02:53 AM
ginger beer, ginger ale, ginger chews,
http://gingerpeople.com/order_chews.html

drink lots of water hydration urine colour color clear ?
what about your diet ?
and Beer or wine ?

Try colloidal silver works very well I have had 8 tumours plus one lipoma
out each year for last 3 years.

http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .

Get your Thyroid levels checked that was the cause of my motion sickness and
tumours I did not throw up but felt ill.

Ginger and motion sickness...
Why is ginger ale served on airplanes? Many studies have shown that ginger
eases motion sickness and aids digestion. Commission E (a panel of experts
appointed by the German equivalent of the FDA and considered to be the world's
most reliable source on herbal remedies) recommends consuming ginger to
prevent motion sickness. In one study reported in The Lancet, ginger
capsules were more effective than Dramamine in reducing motion sickness
induced by a revolving chair. It's no coincidence that ginger ale, as a
soothing beverage, has been served on the airlines nearly since the
beginning of commercial aviation. Today, more chefs in the travel industry
(airlines and cruise ships) are appreciating ginger's curative powers and
incorporating it into many dishes, from sauces to desserts. As a flavour,
ginger adds a clean freshness of its own while lifting the other flavours in
a recipe. If you are a member of a commercial test kitchen or are a
manufacturer who supplies the travel industry, please call or email us for
working samples.

http://gingerpeople.com/health.html

good luck Jim.

Mal

"Jim Kelly" > wrote in message
u...
> Greetings!
>
> I have been plagued by airsickness. Struggled with it during
> training but the flights were short and it did go away to some
> extent, especially when I made a point of eating fresh ginger
> daily.
>
> Now that I am attempting longer flights it is bugging me again.
> It seriously spoils the fun and is no doubt dangerous especially
> at it's onset due to it's effect on concentration level. It
> clearly has something to do with the ear as it seems to be
> associated with odd feelings there and the vario volume level
> waning (and lots of yawning which seems to clear this).
>
> Google research brings up ideas under these general areas:
>

> * Hydration (already do this well)
>
> * Oxygen
>
> * Ginger is a natural anti-emetic
> Candied Ginger and Gingersnaps
> Ginger powder (from the grocery store) loaded into gelatin
> capsules and taken before flight.
>
> * Woodside Biomedical ReliefBand (electrically stimulates the
> median nerve)
> http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=aeromedix&_sessid=815c2aa034ed6a4884e631140549c1ab&action=sku&sku=rbel
>
> * An over-the-counter "drug" which has no systemic effect
> and is therefore okay in the FAA's eyes. It's called Emetrol
> (phosphorated carbohydrates) and comes as a sweet syrup.
> It is a formula based on the traditional use of Coke syrup as a
> nausea treatment (back in the days when soda fountains actually
> used the stuff). Dosage is one teaspoon per hour, and some people
> find it helpful.
>
> * Acupuncture needles are applied to the inside of the wrist to
> stimulate the median nerve. This stimulation seems to block the
> nausea reflex for reasons which are still not entirely clear.
>
> * So-called "acupressure bands" have started appearing in pilot
> shops and catalogs. These are elastic bands with protrusions that
> apply pressure to the wrist, supposedly to stimulate the median
> nerve in the fashion of acupuncture.
> <<<
>
> Anyone able to share any ways that they have conquered this
> curse??
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jim Kelly

Bruno
January 10th 05, 04:39 PM
I am in the boat business and ran across a product at a boat show.
After doing research on it, I found that many of the boating magazines
rave about it. I do not sell this. I took it on a cruise for the
initial test and saw first hand that it helped 6-7 people, a few who
were already puking and the rest very close to losing their lunch.
They said they felt 90-100% better. I can't wait to try it more on the
people I give glider rides to. Take a look at www.motionease.com -
again, I have nothing to do with this product and only became a
believer after I saw it work.

On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication, motion
sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes a proprietary blend of
herbal oils including; Birch, Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh,
Peppermint and Ylang-Ylang.

Bruno
http://phoebus.vassel.com

January 10th 05, 05:49 PM
Jim: I know of a remedy that REALLY works, (years of experience in
ocean voyaging), and is based on NASA space research, but I am
reluctant to discuss it in a public forum for reasons that I will make
known to you if you email me at: >
Regards,

Matt

January 10th 05, 06:17 PM
Sorry --- didn't realize the new format disguises email addresses:
matt(at)takestockphotos dot com

tango4
January 10th 05, 06:37 PM
If he lets the secret out it'll kill a whole industry selling snake oil to
cure motion sickness!!!

Ian

John Galloway
January 10th 05, 08:02 PM
Consider:

http://www.reliefband.com/main.html

Cinnarizine is the most effective treatment I have
used but, like all anti-emetics, it is a little too
sedative to recommend for use in flight. Of the non-medicinal
remedies Relief Bands are the only things that really
have any benefit for me. I have never been sick while
using them although I have occasionally had longs spells
of queasiness as P2 in a 2 seater. This is more positive
than it sounds as previously, throughout 50+ years
of motion sickness, if I ever started to feel nauseated
I would inevitably vomit. As P1 I have never been
in the slightest nauseated while using the Relief Bands.

John Galloway

Edward Lockhart
January 10th 05, 09:16 PM
At 19:30 10 January 2005, Tango4 wrote:
>If he lets the secret out it'll kill a whole industry
>selling snake oil to
>cure motion sickness!!!
>
>Ian

A reasonable assumption but I'm betting pharmaceutical
(for NASA researchers) dope; not available on prescription
but still easily purchased in your local neighbourhood.

It's been many, many years but as I remember it you
want to fill your stomach, not empty it.

Come on Matt, you can't post teasers like this on newsgroups
without us uninformed rabble speculating wildly.

Ed.

ps. I have a lot of respect for NASA and their achievements
and sacrifices over the years but, all of a sudden,
I can't help wondering whether a bong would work in
zero G.

Roy Bourgeois
January 10th 05, 10:37 PM
It's strange to not see in this thread the most basic information about
this problem. Airsickness is usually caused by the discordance between
what the body senses visually compared to what the inner ear is sensing in
terms of motion. If the inner ear signals movement but the eyes register
no movement then the result is sensory discord leading to nausea etc. The
problem becomes even more complex if the movement is not being created or
anticipated by the person experiencing it. This is why the rear seat
passenger of an automobile becomes carsick - but a driver almost never
does. The driver is looking outside and anticipating the movement. The
rear seat passenger has a very reduced outside view (or is usually looking
inside) and not creating the movement. Hence the p1 vs.p2 experience where
we become airsick as passengers but not as PICs.

The same occurs on a boat. On deck seasickness it is rarely a problem -
but below deck (where there is no visual movement) watch out!

For the pilot prone to airsickness this means at all times he should work
to keep his/her head still (to reduce inner ear movement) and keep eyes out
of the glider. Watching the instruments, looking at at the floor or a map
will bring on the nausea quickly.

If you disagree, try the following experiment that I use with my students
to teach the symptoms of vertigo: In a 2 place ship with a safety pilot
keeping a lookout, put the glider in a moderate bank and stare at the
outboard wing tip in the turn. Keep staring. Keep turning. The combination
of G force from the turn with no visual input is very physically upsetting.
Oh - and bring a barf bag.

Roy

January 11th 05, 06:50 AM
Oh no, an other ex-military that bought the whole load of B.S. about
motion sickness being psychologically induced. I am a glider pilot
that is more at home in the air than on the ground and after 15 years
of flying and thousands of miles of cross country I can still get air
sick. Am I nervous, anxious, worried? NO! It is the getting knocked
around by rough unpredictable conditions that causes it.

Jim,

Don't let any of the ex-military bimbos try to convince you it is all
in your head, they have been fed a line of B.S. for years and don't
know or won't accept the truth. I have had several others try to
tell me or others that it is psychological when we discuss the problem
of motion sickness. Many of the pilots I know that deal with the
problem are not afraid or nervous about flying at all.

Bottom line is for many of us it is physiological not psychological. I
find early in the season each year I must get used to flying the plane
again. More frequent flights and longer duration tend to train my body
back into flying mode. Still a very rough day, especially when your
body can not anticipate what the plane will do (rotor or rough
thermals) can still set it off.

Meclizine hydrochloride (Bonine) in low dosages is still the best I
have found for passengers. =BC to =BD tablet an hour before flight and I
have never had sleepy or sick passengers. This was recommended by my
brother who is a PharmD. Without it about 8/10 will get sick in about
an hour or less.

If you have question e-mail me off forum.

Tim

Andy Blackburn
January 11th 05, 06:51 AM
At 22:00 10 January 2005, Edward Lockhart wrote:
>A reasonable assumption but I'm betting pharmaceutical
>>dope

Too easy!

I'm trying hard to imagine what it would be like to
fly after taking the cure - and with a quart of Rum
Raisin in your lap.

9B

January 11th 05, 11:49 AM
Sadly the two are related. Your physiology affects you psychology and
the converse. The usefulness of drugs probably indicates that the
airsickness starts as a phisiological problem, but my own experience is
that it is exacerbated by tension, ie, the fear of getting airsick. For
those who prefer not to be drugged while PIC, there are, in fact, a
number of methods to reduce the additive physiological effects of
psychological tension. I am aware of the Alexander Technique. I'm sure
there are others.

If you have difficulty imagining this relationship, consider stage
fright. The symptoms are almost identical to motion-initiated nausea.

A question for those who get airsick... after vomitting, do the
symptoms ease? Or does the nausea remain?

January 11th 05, 06:29 PM
Ed: The NASA research involves several heavy-duty drugs, one of which
is on the restricted list. That is why I am reluctant to post the
information on a public forum. I don't even know whether their use
would be legal under FAA requlations.

One of the drugs, Scopolomine, is readily available in the form of
anti-motion sickness ear tabs, and I am sure there would be no problem
using that alone. The other drug is not readily available, and I am
reluctant to name it.

For anyone who is still curious, I have written an account of my wife's
experiences (severe sea sickness completely cured), and I will be happy
to pass that along in private email: matt(at)takestockphotos.dot.com
Regards,

Matt

For Example John Smith
January 11th 05, 06:46 PM
Oh that'd bring the youngsters out to the glider field!
"That's right, we've got a medical waiver. Here, take a couple hits off
this bong before your demo ride to prevent nausea"
"Thanks, dude."
"Ready to go?"
"Whoa dude, got any pizza?"
Couldn't you just see this in Pez?
Speaking of.........?

"Edward Lockhart" > wrote in message
> At 19:30 10 January 2005, Tango4 wrote:
> >If he lets the secret out it'll kill a whole industry
> >selling snake oil to
> >cure motion sickness!!!
> >
> >Ian
> >

> A reasonable assumption but I'm betting pharmaceutical
> (for NASA researchers) dope; not available on prescription
> but still easily purchased in your local neighbourhood.
>
> It's been many, many years but as I remember it you
> want to fill your stomach, not empty it.
>
> Come on Matt, you can't post teasers like this on newsgroups
> without us uninformed rabble speculating wildly.
>
> Ed.
>
> ps. I have a lot of respect for NASA and their achievements
> and sacrifices over the years but, all of a sudden,
> I can't help wondering whether a bong would work in
> zero G.

Mark James Boyd
January 11th 05, 09:21 PM
Well, after thousands of airplane flights and hundreds of
glider flights, I had never been airsick. Even during
aerobatics, never a problem (of course, I wasn't
doing them for 2 hours, except when doing glider stuff!)

A couple of months ago, I was in a DG1000 on a mildly
rough thermal day. It was my first flight in the wonderful
glider, but I was queasy starting all the way from takeoff.

Well, it was also hot, and I drank perhaps a pint of cool
water. About 2 hours into the flight, I vomitted
(very professionally) into a tidy bag designed just for
that purpose.

Fortunately the front-seater was a perfectly capable
pilot, and really he was flying anyway.

After landing about an hour later, I tried to figure out why.
I was completely puzzled by this.
I'd been in similar conditions, heat, thermals,
tight banks, etc. If anything, the DG1000 had a much
BETTER ventilation system than most gliders.

I finally figured it out later that night. I had
a big bump on my head. It turns out that right before
takeoff, I had left the canopy open and leaned
left to buckle my harness and WHAM! The canopy
gave me a very hard whack on the back right
quarter of my noggin. Stupid rookie move.
It hurt, and I swore, but we
were ready to go, and so off we went.

So I'm certain I had a bit of a concussion right
before the flight, and this is what made me airsick.

Boy, I'd never considered this or experienced it before.
I tell ya, if I'm hit in the mellon again right before
a flight, I think I'm gonna call it off...

In article . com>,

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd

Jim Kelly
January 11th 05, 10:24 PM
For those punters wondering, Matt has some very helpful
information that is not suited to pilots in command.

Cheers,

Jim

> wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim: I know of a remedy that REALLY works, (years of experience
in
ocean voyaging), and is based on NASA space research, but I am
reluctant to discuss it in a public forum for reasons that I will
make
known to you if you email me at: >
Regards,

Matt

Mike Lindsay
January 11th 05, 10:37 PM
In article >, jl seagull
> writes
>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:20:55 +1100, "Jim Kelly"
> wrote:
>
>>Anyone able to share any ways that they have conquered this
>>curse??
>
>Jim
>
>Find & see an experienced *ex-mil* avmed Dr. If he can't assist you
>no-one can!
>
>IM observed experience, for most sufferers airsickness is
>psychologically induced through repressed anxiety, fear or other
>subliminal concerns or motivation rather than a true physical response
>to the motion.

True in my case. One of the Meteor pilots (Mike) was particularly
pleased with a job I'd done and asked me if I'd like a ride in the
Station Flights Meteor 7 (tandem 2 seat trainer).

Do bears etc?! So about 2 weeks later off we went. On the way to the
aircraft, after a good lunch, one of the erks asked me if I'd taken my
airsick tablets? Ooh! never thought of that!

As Mike lined up I had in view a small cu at about 3000ft and perhaps
two miles upwind.
When he opened the throttles;- Whoosh! the cloud disappeared behind and
below us and the big hand of the altimeter was whizzing round like a
propeller.

As we climbed to about 12000 we passed Portsmouth, Bognor, Worthing,
Brighton and Eastbourne (in less time than it takes to type this.

'Do you mind, said Mike 'if I throw it around a bit?'
'Be my guest'

Suddenly the horizon swung round 180 degrees, so that the sea was on top
and the sky underneath. All the muck came off the floor. Marvellous for
someone who was used to 35 knots in a T21! I really enjoyed that. The
first ten minutes! Then I began to feel a bit hot, and suddenly my lunch
reappeared.

I'd have been OK if it hadn't have been for the remark about the airsick
tabs.

--
Mike Lindsay

ttaylor at cc.usu.edu
January 12th 05, 12:57 AM
fiveniner asked:

A question for those who get airsick... after vomiting, do the
symptoms ease? Or does the nausea remain?

I feel fine for 20 to 60 minutes, then as long as I'm still in the
same environment the nausea starts coming back. You have to decide if
it is time to land after you fill the first bag or will you be high
enough and in a location that you can handle the plane when you need
the second one ;-). Tucked up tight against a ridge trying to scrape
you a** off the mountain top or trying to deal with an off-field
landing is not a great time to have to use the bag.

Tim

jimk
January 12th 05, 11:16 PM
"Roy Bourgeois" > wrote in message

> The same occurs on a boat. On deck seasickness it is rarely a problem -
> but below deck (where there is no visual movement) watch out!

What works for me in that case (when I have to spend time below - like to
sleep / repair sails...) is to try and visualize the motion in my mind and
match it with what my inner ear is telling me. Not sure how to apply the
same method in a glider though.

> For the pilot prone to airsickness this means at all times he should work
> to keep his/her head still (to reduce inner ear movement) and keep eyes
out
> of the glider. Watching the instruments, looking at at the floor or a map
> will bring on the nausea quickly.

You got it...

Jim

Jim Kelly
January 13th 05, 11:31 PM
Same for me. It is definitely a relief to vomit, but only for 20
to 60min when reoccurence is likely.

jk

"ttaylor at cc.usu.edu" > wrote in message
oups.com...
fiveniner asked:

A question for those who get airsick... after vomiting, do the
symptoms ease? Or does the nausea remain?

I feel fine for 20 to 60 minutes, then as long as I'm still in
the
same environment the nausea starts coming back. You have to
decide if
it is time to land after you fill the first bag or will you be
high
enough and in a location that you can handle the plane when you
need
the second one ;-). Tucked up tight against a ridge trying to
scrape
you a** off the mountain top or trying to deal with an off-field
landing is not a great time to have to use the bag.

Tim

Jim Kelly
January 13th 05, 11:51 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your kind advice, including to those
who replied off-line . . much appreciated indeed.

Thanks Roy for summarising the reasons for airsickness:
"Airsickness is usually caused by the discordance between
what the body senses visually compared to what the inner ear is
sensing in terms of motion. If the inner ear signals movement
but the eyes register no movement then the result is sensory
discord leading to nausea etc. The problem becomes even more
complex if the movement is not being created or anticipated by
the person experiencing it."

Hence, the adages of:
* "keep looking at the horizon" and
* "it's worse when someone else is in control".

Others noted:
"minimise head movements"
"avoid swapping thermalling direction"
"try and visualize the motion in my mind (when unable to look)"

Updates and links to my earlier summary are noted below:

* Hydration . . gauge this by watching urine colour

* Oxygen may help

* Ginger is a natural anti-emetic
Raw ginger boiled into drinking water
Candied Ginger and Gingersnaps
Ginger powder (from the grocery store) loaded into gelatin
capsules and taken before flight.
http://gingerpeople.com/order_chews.html

* Woodside Biomedical ReliefBand
(electrically stimulates the median nerve)
http://www.aeromedix.com/?_siteid=aeromedix&_sessid=815c2aa034ed6a4884e631140549c1ab&action=sku&sku=rbel

* An over-the-counter "drug" which has no systemic effect
and is therefore okay in the FAA's eyes. It's called Emetrol
(phosphorated carbohydrates) and comes as a sweet syrup.
It is a formula based on the traditional use of Coke syrup as a
nausea treatment (back in the days when soda fountains actually
used the stuff). Dosage is one teaspoon per hour, and some people
find it helpful.

* Scopolomine

* Acupuncture needles are applied to the inside of the wrist to
stimulate the median nerve. This stimulation seems to block the
nausea reflex for reasons which are still not entirely clear.

* So-called "acupressure bands" have started appearing in pilot
shops and catalogs. These are elastic bands with protrusions that
apply pressure to the wrist, supposedly to stimulate the median
nerve in the fashion of acupuncture.

* Try colloidal silver - it works very well I have had 8 tumours
plus one lipoma out each year for last 3 years.
http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .

* Get your Thyroid levels checked - that was the cause of my
motion sickness and tumours. I did not throw up but felt ill.

* Take a look at www.motionease.com -
On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication,
motion sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes
a proprietary blend of herbal oils including; Birch,
Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, Peppermint and
Ylang-Ylang.

These comments are simply a summary of other people's ideas, they
may not be suitable or wise advice, however I am sure that there
is good advice amongst it. Use with due care! And thanks again to
those who contributed.

Regards,

Jim Kelly

Jim Kelly
January 14th 05, 12:03 AM
Oops, I overlooked these:

"Sometimes I will take two Pepto-Bismol tablets before take off.
The only problem with them is they tend to stuff me up."

"I use Sea-Band wrist bands which apply accu-pressure to the
wrists . . . they work for me".

Jim

[...]

Nyal Williams
January 14th 05, 05:11 AM
Several years ago a yachting magazine had an article
about this subject. The ideas expressed there said
that bitters settle the stomach and help with seasickness.
The writer reviewed about a dozen kinds and and concluded
that Fernet Branca was the very best. I searched and
searched for this for my wife but never found it myself.
A friend located it in a liquor store in NY and brought
me a big bottle. It is astringent and it does settle
the stomach in other situations; I never get airsick,
but I have been seasick. I did not get to test it
under these conditions, but a tablespoonful is helpful
with an ordinary gastric upset just as coca-cola and
ginger are. The reviewer did not mention Angostura
bitters, but I find that also helpful with gastric
upset.

Bitters contain alcohol and a tablespoonful might not
be acceptable to the FAA nor wise to ingest before
flying as PIC.

At 01:00 14 January 2005, Jim Kelly wrote:
> [...]
>plus one lipoma out each year for last 3 years.
> http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .
>
>* Get your Thyroid levels checked - that was the cause
>of my
>motion sickness and tumours. I did not throw up but
>felt ill.
>
>* Take a look at www.motionease.com -
>On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication,
>motion sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes
>a proprietary blend of herbal oils including; Birch,
>Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, Peppermint
>and
>Ylang-Ylang.
>
>These comments are simply a summary of other people's
>ideas, they
>may not be suitable or wise advice, however I am sure
>that there
>is good advice amongst it. Use with due care! And thanks

Jim Kelly
January 14th 05, 07:17 AM
Thanks Nyal. Seems there are many drugs, etc, that suit 'ill'
people who can rest. Our role as PIC is more difficult.

It is likely that the answer will come from the folks dealing
with the trauma following various cancer treatments, some of
whose patients will have had enough drugs and be looking for a
natural solution.

Curiously, nothing has been mentioned here about the ear as a
focal point. Blocked tubes, etc?

For me - perhaps the problem was trying to stop a strong urge to
always turn one way (forcing myself to turn the opposite way). As
well as it being unsettling, I am sure my flying is more untidy
this way too, probably contributing even more . . .

It is astonishing how many glider pilots have told me that they
are affected with airsickness from time to time. Seems I'm not
alone in this regard!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly.

"Nyal Williams" > wrote
in message ...
Several years ago a yachting magazine had an article
about this subject. The ideas expressed there said
that bitters settle the stomach and help with seasickness.
The writer reviewed about a dozen kinds and concluded
> [...]

>plus one lipoma out each year for last 3 years.
> http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .
>
>* Get your Thyroid levels checked - that was the cause
>of my
>motion sickness and tumours. I did not throw up but
>felt ill.
>
>* Take a look at www.motionease.com -
>On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication,
>motion sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes
>a proprietary blend of herbal oils including; Birch,
>Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, Peppermint
>and
>Ylang-Ylang.
>
>These comments are simply a summary of other people's
>ideas, they
>may not be suitable or wise advice, however I am sure
>that there
>is good advice amongst it. Use with due care! And thanks

Nyal Williams
January 14th 05, 10:31 PM
Jim, the most famous of these was Philip Wills. He
detailed it in his first book, 'On Being a Bird.'

Which way do you prefer turning? Some people prefer
turning to the right and I believe it is because they
are taken to a thermal, turn right pro forma, and begin
thermalling.

This preference is exacerbated because it is a bit
easier to push opposite aileron slightly (as usually
required in a thermal to prevent over banking) than
it is to exert a constant slight pull to prevent overbanking
in a left turn.

After breaking myself from this tendency I found myself
back in it. I thought that the right wing was being
lifted by thermals and therefore turned right. Come
to find out, my left wing is slightly heavier or else
the rigging is slightly askew and the glider tends
to want to turn left as a result. (It is very subtle
and I didn't notice it at first.)

Head movements while turning can cause disorientation.
Several papers have been written on this. I do believe
that if this was caused, as you say, by trying to turn
a different way, you will adapt and become accustomed
to turning in the other direction. The sensations
are different; they are much more pronounced in side-by-side
seating.

At 08:00 14 January 2005, Jim Kelly wrote:
>Thanks Nyal. Seems there are many drugs, etc, that
>suit 'ill'
>people who can rest. Our role as PIC is more difficult.
>
>It is likely that the answer will come from the folks
>dealing
>with the trauma following various cancer treatments,
>some of
>whose patients will have had enough drugs and be looking
>for a
>natural solution.
>
>Curiously, nothing has been mentioned here about the
>ear as a
>focal point. Blocked tubes, etc?
>
>For me - perhaps the problem was trying to stop a strong
>urge to
>always turn one way (forcing myself to turn the opposite
>way). As
>well as it being unsettling, I am sure my flying is
>more untidy
>this way too, probably contributing even more . . .
>
>It is astonishing how many glider pilots have told
>me that they
>are affected with airsickness from time to time. Seems
>I'm not
>alone in this regard!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jim Kelly.

Jim,

> [...]
>>plus one lipoma out each year for last 3 years.
>> http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .
>>
>>* Get your Thyroid levels checked - that was the cause
>>of my
>>motion sickness and tumours. I did not throw up but
>>felt ill.
>>
>>* Take a look at www.motionease.com -
>>On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication,
>>motion sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes
>>a proprietary blend of herbal oils including; Birch,
>>Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, Peppermint
>>and
>>Ylang-Ylang.
>>
>>These comments are simply a summary of other people's
>>ideas, they
>>may not be suitable or wise advice, however I am sure
>>that there
>>is good advice amongst it. Use with due care! And thanks

Jim Kelly
January 17th 05, 02:52 AM
Hi Nyal

I'd be interested to read Philip's accounts! I understand that he
was a marvellous early glider pilot (etc).

For the record, I am right handed and am much more comfortable
turning to the right . . .

Perhaps I should limit my retraining to shorter flights with less
stress than crosscountry until I balance my preferences!

Thanks for your trouble, once again. Much appreciated.

Jim Kelly

"Nyal Williams" > wrote
in message ...
Jim, the most famous of these was Philip Wills. He
detailed it in his first book, 'On Being a Bird.'

Which way do you prefer turning? Some people prefer
turning to the right and I believe it is because they
are taken to a thermal, turn right pro forma, and begin
thermalling.

This preference is exacerbated because it is a bit
easier to push opposite aileron slightly (as usually
required in a thermal to prevent over banking) than
it is to exert a constant slight pull to prevent overbanking
in a left turn.

After breaking myself from this tendency I found myself
back in it. I thought that the right wing was being
lifted by thermals and therefore turned right. Come
to find out, my left wing is slightly heavier or else
the rigging is slightly askew and the glider tends
to want to turn left as a result. (It is very subtle
and I didn't notice it at first.)

Head movements while turning can cause disorientation.
Several papers have been written on this. I do believe
that if this was caused, as you say, by trying to turn
a different way, you will adapt and become accustomed
to turning in the other direction. The sensations
are different; they are much more pronounced in side-by-side
seating.

At 08:00 14 January 2005, Jim Kelly wrote:
>Thanks Nyal. Seems there are many drugs, etc, that
>suit 'ill'
>people who can rest. Our role as PIC is more difficult.
>
>It is likely that the answer will come from the folks
>dealing
>with the trauma following various cancer treatments,
>some of
>whose patients will have had enough drugs and be looking
>for a
>natural solution.
>
>Curiously, nothing has been mentioned here about the
>ear as a
>focal point. Blocked tubes, etc?
>
>For me - perhaps the problem was trying to stop a strong
>urge to
>always turn one way (forcing myself to turn the opposite
>way). As
>well as it being unsettling, I am sure my flying is
>more untidy
>this way too, probably contributing even more . . .
>
>It is astonishing how many glider pilots have told
>me that they
>are affected with airsickness from time to time. Seems
>I'm not
>alone in this regard!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Jim Kelly.

Jim,

> [...]
>>plus one lipoma out each year for last 3 years.
>> http://www.colloidalsilver.net.au/feedback.htm .
>>
>>* Get your Thyroid levels checked - that was the cause
>>of my
>>motion sickness and tumours. I did not throw up but
>>felt ill.
>>
>>* Take a look at www.motionease.com -
>>On their website they say: Motion Eaze vertigo medication,
>>motion sickness remedy and sea sickness remedy includes
>>a proprietary blend of herbal oils including; Birch,
>>Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, Peppermint
>>and
>>Ylang-Ylang.
>>
>>These comments are simply a summary of other people's
>>ideas, they
>>may not be suitable or wise advice, however I am sure
>>that there
>>is good advice amongst it. Use with due care! And thanks

Google