PDA

View Full Version : iPhone soaring app

Pat Cernuto
May 10th 19, 07:52 AM
Any one know of a app similar to XcSoar for iOS?

Darryl Ramm
May 10th 19, 08:50 AM
On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 11:52:53 PM UTC-7, Pat Cernuto wrote:
> Any one know of a app similar to XcSoar for iOS?

iGlide. Widely discussed on r.a.s. in the past. Search the newsgroup.

waremark
May 11th 19, 01:03 AM
Or WinPilot

John Foster
May 18th 19, 06:51 AM
On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 6:03:34 PM UTC-6, waremark wrote:
> Or WinPilot

WinPilot looks more like a mobile XC-Skies than a flight computer. It mentions it will show final glide when connected to a flight computer, but it does not appear to have that functionality on its own. Or am I wrong?

waremark
May 18th 19, 11:46 AM
I believe you are wrong. Winpilot started as a flight computer. The weather stuff came long after. Connection to a flight computer improves capability by adding a source for airspeed vario and Flarm data.

Or am I wrong? (Used original Winpilot on iPaq for many years before changing to SeeYou Mobile)

WinPilot
May 18th 19, 09:34 PM
The weather layer in WinPilot is optional, and comes from fcst24.com. We choose this source in large part because a certain Polish pilot (initials SK) likes it. It is a separate subscription. Calling WP a mobile XC-Skies is a compliment in a way, and yes, it is possible to download the latest forecast (like thermal strength, wind direction at different altitudes, overdevelopment forecast and several other layers for different times of day) before the flight, and then have it overlaid on top of a map during a flight. But WP will compute final glide without this layer just as well. In fact, it will also do regular tasks, AAT tasks, or help with OLC flights. Anyway, thanks for asking and happy flying.

Google