PDA

View Full Version : TE-Probe for 1-26D

Heinz Gehlhaar
January 15th 05, 10:26 PM
I am thinking about installing a TE-Probe in our Club
1-26D, S/N 442
Is there any advice you can give me about where to
locate the probe? Think about: mounting-spot for accuracy,
versus for ease of installation and for minimum additional
weight.

Also, what type of probe and sources of the probe and
the interfacing fittings/materials would be helpful.

Thanks
Heinz

DP
January 15th 05, 11:01 PM
Heinz, the best spot would be the top of the vertical under the cap. Go
to Jim Phoenix.com to see pictures. Call Paul Remde at Cumulus Soaring
Inc. He has Ilec probes and probe mounts, which I just installed in my
E-Model

Dave

Heinz Gehlhaar wrote:
> I am thinking about installing a TE-Probe in our Club
> 1-26D, S/N 442
> Is there any advice you can give me about where to
> locate the probe? Think about: mounting-spot for accuracy,
> versus for ease of installation and for minimum additional
> weight.
>
> Also, what type of probe and sources of the probe and
> the interfacing fittings/materials would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Heinz

Jim Phoenix
January 15th 05, 11:11 PM
For an aluminum vertical stab, see the photos at the bootom of this page:
http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/686/6empennage/6empennage.html

For a cloth covered vertical, see the photos here for an internal
installation (seventh and 8th photos from the top of the page):
http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/038/empennage/038empennage.html

As Dave said, the Ilec probe is very nice, the short length will do for a
1-26. I have a plenty of that aluminum tube installed in the fabric vertical
if you need a piece Heinz. I also have the rivnuts and stuff for the
aluminum vertical, if I recall - that's the vertical 442 has.

Jim

"Heinz Gehlhaar" > wrote in message
>I am thinking about installing a TE-Probe in our Club
> 1-26D, S/N 442
> Is there any advice you can give me about where to
> locate the probe? Think about: mounting-spot for accuracy,
> versus for ease of installation and for minimum additional
> weight.
>
> Also, what type of probe and sources of the probe and
> the interfacing fittings/materials would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Heinz

Mark Zivley
January 16th 05, 01:45 AM
That is a very nice 1-26.

Jim Phoenix wrote:
> For an aluminum vertical stab, see the photos at the bootom of this page:
> http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/686/6empennage/6empennage.html
>
> For a cloth covered vertical, see the photos here for an internal
> installation (seventh and 8th photos from the top of the page):
> http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/038/empennage/038empennage.html
>
> As Dave said, the Ilec probe is very nice, the short length will do for a
> 1-26. I have a plenty of that aluminum tube installed in the fabric vertical
> if you need a piece Heinz. I also have the rivnuts and stuff for the
> aluminum vertical, if I recall - that's the vertical 442 has.
>
> Jim
>

> "Heinz Gehlhaar" > wrote in message
>
>>I am thinking about installing a TE-Probe in our Club
>>1-26D, S/N 442
>>Is there any advice you can give me about where to
>>locate the probe? Think about: mounting-spot for accuracy,
>>versus for ease of installation and for minimum additional
>>weight.
>>
>>Also, what type of probe and sources of the probe and
>>the interfacing fittings/materials would be helpful.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Heinz

Jim Phoenix
January 16th 05, 03:21 AM
Thanks!

"Mark Zivley" > wrote in message
om...
> That is a very nice 1-26.
>
> Jim Phoenix wrote:
>> For an aluminum vertical stab, see the photos at the bootom of this page:
>> http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/686/6empennage/6empennage.html
>>
>> For a cloth covered vertical, see the photos here for an internal
>> installation (seventh and 8th photos from the top of the page):
>> http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix2/pages/038/empennage/038empennage.html
>>
>> As Dave said, the Ilec probe is very nice, the short length will do for a
>> 1-26. I have a plenty of that aluminum tube installed in the fabric
>> vertical if you need a piece Heinz. I also have the rivnuts and stuff for
>> the aluminum vertical, if I recall - that's the vertical 442 has.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> "Heinz Gehlhaar" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I am thinking about installing a TE-Probe in our Club
>>>1-26D, S/N 442
>>>Is there any advice you can give me about where to
>>>locate the probe? Think about: mounting-spot for accuracy,
>>>versus for ease of installation and for minimum additional
>>>weight.
>>>
>>>Also, what type of probe and sources of the probe and
>>>the interfacing fittings/materials would be helpful.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Heinz

Paul Remde
January 16th 05, 03:37 AM
Hi Heinz,

You can see photos of the ILEC probes and mounts that I sell here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/ilec.htm

I'm not an expert on locations for TE probes, but I've heard that the
fuselage mounted units don't usually work nearly as well as units mounted
near the top of the vertical fin. The goal is to get the probe into clean
air.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Heinz Gehlhaar" > wrote in message
>I am thinking about installing a TE-Probe in our Club
> 1-26D, S/N 442
> Is there any advice you can give me about where to
> locate the probe? Think about: mounting-spot for accuracy,
> versus for ease of installation and for minimum additional
> weight.
>
> Also, what type of probe and sources of the probe and
> the interfacing fittings/materials would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Heinz

January 17th 05, 10:52 PM
Eastern Sailplane stocks suitable probe. Carbon fiber and cool on 1-26.
Mount on top of top fin rib under plastic tip.
UH

Google