PDA

View Full Version : SSA shoots itself in the foot again

January 19th 05, 12:00 AM
http://www.ssa.org/members/benefits/HowToJoin.asp
says it all...

This new website is very poorly tested.

Al

chipsoars
January 19th 05, 01:05 AM
What problem are you referring to? Clairvoyance is not one of the
staff or volunteer attributes. A lot of work is ongoing so please
contact a director or the office and let them know.

Chip F.

GK
January 19th 05, 01:05 AM
wrote:
> http://www.ssa.org/members/benefits/HowToJoin.asp
> says it all...
>
> This new website is very poorly tested.
>
> Al

The old version was far more better looking and obviously more
functional, hope at least they didn't pay anything for these virtual
scrambles, or they should claim their money back.

Eric Greenwell
January 19th 05, 01:16 AM
GK wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.ssa.org/members/benefits/HowToJoin.asp
>>says it all...
>>
>>This new website is very poorly tested.
>>
>>Al
>

> The old version was far more better looking and obviously more
> functional, hope at least they didn't pay anything for these virtual
> scrambles, or they should claim their money back.

I'm not finding the problem. Here is the "how to join page" I get when I
enter from www.ssa.org:

http://ssa.org/society/howtojoin.asp

It seems to be fine.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

BTIZ
January 19th 05, 02:48 AM
There have been many old and broken links in the new web..
And when I find them I do not publish it on the RAS..
I simply copy the link, send an email to Micki the webmaster..
And tell them what page you were on when you found the bad link..

I'll be the first to agree that I did not think there was anything wrong
with the old web format..
but rather than complain in public.. why not help with debugging.. and just
let them know what you found.

BT

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.ssa.org/members/benefits/HowToJoin.asp
> says it all...
>
> This new website is very poorly tested.
>
> Al

Tony Verhulst
January 19th 05, 03:13 AM
> I simply copy the link, send an email to Micki the webmaster..
> And tell them what page you were on when you found the bad link..

Agreed, but Mickey's email address needs to be prominently displayed,
possibly at the bottom of each page. I found a problem on the site
yesterday and spent 5 minutes looking for the webmaster email address...
no joy. Maybe I overlooked something but unless the email address is
prominent, they'll get few reports. Insiders will know that
will work, but that ain't good enough, IMHO.

If i missed the address, would some one kindly point it out?

Tony V

BTIZ
January 19th 05, 03:30 AM
you are correct.. the address is not displayed anywhere that it can be
found.. I forwarded it to Dennis or Judy.. and they sent it on to Micki...
now I keep her address in my address book..

BT

"Tony Verhulst" > wrote in message

>> I simply copy the link, send an email to Micki the webmaster..
>> And tell them what page you were on when you found the bad link..
>
> Agreed, but Mickey's email address needs to be prominently displayed,
> possibly at the bottom of each page. I found a problem on the site
> yesterday and spent 5 minutes looking for the webmaster email address...
> no joy. Maybe I overlooked something but unless the email address is
> prominent, they'll get few reports. Insiders will know that
> will work, but that ain't good enough, IMHO.
>
> If i missed the address, would some one kindly point it out?
>
> Tony V

January 19th 05, 03:46 AM
You are all missing the point.

I recall you used to be able to join online.....

Now you have to print out a PDF from a page thats buried in the site
Stuff all that in the mail with a check etc etc...

Its all a barrier to joining.. there should be a "join now" button that
you then fill out a form, punch in your CC number and your done.

Don't get me started on the site, its a wrapper for a stripped down
reuse of old pages from the old SSA site.

Bring back the old site until this new one is fixed.
But then who am I to bitch about the SSA.

Al

Tony Verhulst
January 19th 05, 04:33 AM
wrote:
> You are all missing the point.

If your point is that the web site has taken a few steps backward, I
agree. I really can't imagine why the photo section is not up and
running, for instance. But, what could have, should have, happened is
water under the bridge - I think. I don't see us going back to the old
web site. What we should do now is to send comments / suggestions /
complaints to the webmaster to make the current version better than the
old. That's my plan, anyway.

Tony V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING

January 19th 05, 04:39 AM
Site layout aside... where is the "join here" functionality???

We are trying to grow the sport yet this is a totally backwards step in
increasing membership.

Al

ttaylor at cc.usu.edu
January 19th 05, 03:42 PM
The membership forms would be nice, also an updated Calendar. I have
to go to several sites to try and figure out what is happening this
summer. half the US Nationals are not on the calendar yet.

Tim

January 19th 05, 06:51 PM
wrote:
> Site layout aside... where is the "join here" functionality???
>
> We are trying to grow the sport yet this is a totally backwards step
in
> increasing membership.
>
> Al

Al
The time you've spent complaining about this you could've called the
SSA office and subed over the phone and complained to the web master
killed 2 birds with one stone. Or just mailed in your check & sub
order like most people have done.
Russ

January 20th 05, 12:44 AM
I dont do paper...thats so 80's

Even www.mindensoaringclub.org can take a memership application
online!!
Why cant SSA

Al

SkySoar
January 23rd 05, 08:50 AM
wrote:
> Site layout aside... where is the "join here" functionality???
>
> We are trying to grow the sport yet this is a totally backwards step
in
> increasing membership.
>
> Al

The one and only thing that stands in the way of the SSA having a great
website is money. Whether or not the money is available to be directed
towards the website, I have no idea. I happen to be the member services
director for a large association located in D.C. The moaning and
groaning I often hear from SSA members about the SSA's new website is
similar to what I have found to be the case for many associations in
general. Associations seem to be behind the curve a bit in website
technology usage. My observations seem to point to lack of
appropriation of funds for whatever reason, and there may be many
reasons. In the SSA's case, we all know they aren't exactly rolling in
dough; jeez, they have to solicit for donations just to put an adequate
roof over their head - literally.

What they don't realize perhaps is how important the website has become
to the member/organization relationship. What used to be a "mailbox"
relationship has evolved to a more dynamic, real-time, virtual
relationship. My point to all this is that I too believe we should
excercise patience, and restrain ourselves from unproductive negetivity
concerning "our" association. If we want the SSA to have a first-class
website - if not world-class - it's going to take a substantial
investment, not only in their website technology, but probably in
upgrading their association management/membership database as well. I
wonder if the membership would be willing to support a fund for such a
thing?

In the meantime, as SSA members, let's continue promote soaring and SSA
membership as best we can whenever we can. Idea: If you're a club
member with access to a two-seat training craft, be sure to offer your
neighbors' young teen-age kids a discovery ride this year.
Happy soaring.

Bob Gould

SkySoar
January 23rd 05, 09:39 AM
wrote:
> Site layout aside... where is the "join here" functionality???
>
> We are trying to grow the sport yet this is a totally backwards step
in
> increasing membership.
>
> Al

The one and only thing that stands in the way of the SSA having a great
website is money. Whether or not the money is available to be directed
towards the website, I have no idea. I happen to be the member services
director for a large association located in D.C. The moaning and
groaning I often hear from SSA members about the SSA's new website is
similar to what I have found to be the case for many associations in
general. Associations seem to be behind the curve a bit in website
technology usage. My observations seem to point to lack of
appropriation of funds for whatever reason, and there may be many
reasons. In the SSA's case, we all know they aren't exactly rolling in
dough; jeez, they have to solicit for donations just to put an adequate
roof over their head - literally.

What they don't realize perhaps is how important the website has become
to the member/organization relationship. What used to be a "mailbox"
relationship has evolved to a more dynamic, real-time, virtual
relationship. My point to all this is that I too believe we should
excercise patience, and restrain ourselves from unproductive negetivity
concerning "our" association. If we want the SSA to have a first-class
website - if not world-class - it's going to take a substantial
investment, not only in their website technology, but probably in
upgrading their association management/membership database as well. I
wonder if the membership would be willing to support a fund for such a
thing?

In the meantime, as SSA members, let's continue promote soaring and SSA
membership as best we can whenever we can. Idea: If you're a club
member with access to a two-seat training craft, be sure to offer your
neighbors' young teen-age kids a discovery ride this year.
Happy soaring.

Bob Gould

Google