PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tire rims

Gary Carter
January 20th 05, 03:36 PM
I have an older Cobra trailer (1980ish - aluminum) and need to find another
tire rim (I had an axle mishap and lost one of my tire/rims). The rim is a
4 x 100 metric (four lug holes and 100 mm between each lug) and supports a
13 inch tire. Does anyone have a rim for sale or can suggest a source in
the US hopefully close to Atlanta, Georgia to get one?

Thanks for your help.
Gary Carter

WDM
January 20th 05, 03:53 PM
Try this site, they have cross references for bolt patterns used on cars:
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm
I went to the local junk yard once and pulled rims and good tires(the
spare)from a wrecked Plymouth Horizon (bolt pattern 4X100 13"). They
only charged me $10 per tire.

Gary Carter wrote:
> I have an older Cobra trailer (1980ish - aluminum) and need to find another
> tire rim (I had an axle mishap and lost one of my tire/rims). The rim is a
> 4 x 100 metric (four lug holes and 100 mm between each lug) and supports a
> 13 inch tire. Does anyone have a rim for sale or can suggest a source in
> the US hopefully close to Atlanta, Georgia to get one?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Gary Carter

Tim Mara
January 20th 05, 06:25 PM
try the local salvage yard.....
I'm sure this is the same as many small car wheels..you do need hoever to
use wheels designed for drum brakes, disk brake wheels are
different.......years ago I had an older Komet trailer, I found Plymouth
Horizon wheels fit perfectly....and most of these cars came with space saver
spare tires.....the type that was fully inflated, not the ones with the air
can to fill as needed....the neat thing was that these wheels are the same
on the spare tires as those on the ground, just the tire was
different........everyone hated these space saver spares so junk yards had
dozens of them, usually brand new they couldn't sell to anyone....and the
wheels were fairly attractive, slotted type wheels...I got brand new, no
rust silver painted wheels complete with the tire for about $10.00
each....had I just wanted to by a used, probably bent wheel they would have
charged $25 each.....and the Horizon was a typical 70-80's cheapo car with
rear drum brakes....
try it.....worked perfectly for me
tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Gary Carter" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I have an older Cobra trailer (1980ish - aluminum) and need to find
another
> tire rim (I had an axle mishap and lost one of my tire/rims). The rim is
> 4 x 100 metric (four lug holes and 100 mm between each lug) and supports a
> 13 inch tire. Does anyone have a rim for sale or can suggest a source in
> the US hopefully close to Atlanta, Georgia to get one?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Gary Carter

Tim.Ward
January 20th 05, 09:13 PM
How does the rim know whether it's being stopped by a disk or drum
brake?
Or is this just your way of pointing out that the offsets may be
different?

Tim Ward

Tim Mara
January 20th 05, 09:38 PM
offset
tim
"Tim.Ward" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How does the rim know whether it's being stopped by a disk or drum
> brake?
> Or is this just your way of pointing out that the offsets may be
> different?
>
> Tim Ward

GeorgeB
January 20th 05, 10:06 PM
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:38:36 -0500, "Tim Mara"
> wrote:

>offset
>tim

There is a little more to it than that ... the offset can be the same,
but there not be clearance for some parts. Example; I have a Venture
"minivan" and our daughter drives a Lumina ... the offset and bolt
pattern are the same, but even with both having disc brakes, I cannot
put my Venture wheels on her Lumina ... parts interfere with one
another. She had a flat, and I was going to do that to drive it to te
tire store ...

>"Tim.Ward" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> How does the rim know whether it's being stopped by a disk or drum
>> brake?
>> Or is this just your way of pointing out that the offsets may be
>> different?

Brian Iten
January 20th 05, 11:49 PM
There is a reason the rim off of your Venture would
not fit on the Lumina..... They are two totally different
wheels, rims, brake assemblies and hubs.
As for the idea of the horizon rims and being disc
or drum brakes, the horizon came with front disc and
rear drums. You can rotate the tires front to back
without a problem. Look for an old Horizon or Plymouth
Omni and they should work on the trailer.

At 23:36 20 January 2005, Georgeb wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:38:36 -0500, 'Tim Mara'
> wrote:
>
>>offset
>>tim
>
>There is a little more to it than that ... the offset
>can be the same,
>but there not be clearance for some parts. Example;
>I have a Venture
>'minivan' and our daughter drives a Lumina ... the
>offset and bolt
>pattern are the same, but even with both having disc
>brakes, I cannot
>put my Venture wheels on her Lumina ... parts interfere
>with one
>another. She had a flat, and I was going to do that
>to drive it to te
>tire store ...
>
>>'Tim.Ward' wrote in message
oups.com...
>>> How does the rim know whether it's being stopped by
>>>a disk or drum
>>> brake?
>>> Or is this just your way of pointing out that the
>>>offsets may be
>>> different?

Gary Carter
January 21st 05, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the great advice and your responses. I am on my way to the local
junk yard. I have also found some original Comet trailer ties, but they
could be more costly in the long run..

"Brian Iten" > wrote in message
> There is a reason the rim off of your Venture would
> not fit on the Lumina..... They are two totally different
> wheels, rims, brake assemblies and hubs.
> As for the idea of the horizon rims and being disc
> or drum brakes, the horizon came with front disc and
> rear drums. You can rotate the tires front to back
> without a problem. Look for an old Horizon or Plymouth
> Omni and they should work on the trailer.
>
> At 23:36 20 January 2005, Georgeb wrote:
>>On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:38:36 -0500, 'Tim Mara'
>> wrote:
>>
>>>offset
>>>tim
>>
>>There is a little more to it than that ... the offset
>>can be the same,
>>but there not be clearance for some parts. Example;
>>I have a Venture
>>'minivan' and our daughter drives a Lumina ... the
>>offset and bolt
>>pattern are the same, but even with both having disc
>>brakes, I cannot
>>put my Venture wheels on her Lumina ... parts interfere
>>with one
>>another. She had a flat, and I was going to do that
>>to drive it to te
>>tire store ...
>>
>>>'Tim.Ward' wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]