PDA

View Full Version : How to Become a CFIG - from the Safety Foundation

January 21st 05, 03:45 PM
New Glider Flight Instructors to be Mentored at the SSA Convention.

"How to Become a CFIG" will be the theme of the Soaring Safety
Foundation (SSF) booth at the SSA Convention. The booth will be
managed by Matt Michael, an SSF Advisor and Master SSA Instructor.
Trustees of the SSF including chairman Richard Carlson will answer
questions and encourage potential glider flight instructors to become a
CFIG. Support materials in the booth will include the applicable FAA
Regulations, the Practical Test Standards for CFIG, Bob Wander's "CFIG
Checkride Made Easy" and "Learning to Fly Gliders" training syllabus /
lesson plans. A handout of CFIG "sample endorsements", and a new DVD
of the SSF safety videos will be shown in the booth, demonstrating the
free training tools available from the SSF to all instructors.

The staff of Costello Insurance Associates, broker for the SSA Group
Insurance plans, will be adjacent to the SSF booth to answer questions
regarding CFIG liability and non-owner's insurance.

The Soaring Safety Foundation Trustees and Advisors are available
year-round to assist existing Commercial Glider pilots or airplane
CFI's explore the idea of becoming Glider Flight Instructors. Earning
your flight instructor certificate is challenging, yet the path is made
clear by the Flight Instructor Handbook, the FAA PTS, Bob Wander's
"CFIG Made Easy" book, the nationwide SSF Flight Instructor Clinics,
along with information in "Soaring" magazine and on the SSF website
www.soaringsafety.org

Mark James Boyd
January 21st 05, 07:42 PM
I hope he gets a few questions about Sport Pilot transition to
gliders, and how to become a Sport Pilot glider CFI by easily
transitioning from ASEL CFI.

I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more Ultralight and ASEL
pilots there than previous conventions. Mike Melvill
should draw a pretty good crowd.

In article . com>,

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd

BTIZ
January 22nd 05, 12:38 AM
"Mark James Boyd" > wrote in message
>I hope he gets a few questions about Sport Pilot transition to
> gliders, and how to become a Sport Pilot glider CFI by easily
> transitioning from ASEL CFI.
>
> I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more Ultralight and ASEL
> pilots there than previous conventions. Mike Melvill
> should draw a pretty good crowd.

I would think it would be easier for the ASEL CFI to become a full CFIG, and
forget the sport pilot glider.... why limit himself. There are not too many
2 seat gliders that fall into the Sport Aircraft category. Let us not talk
about what is on the drawing boards (white erase boards?) lets talk about
what is flying now.

BT

Terry
January 22nd 05, 12:49 AM
wrote:
> New Glider Flight Instructors to be Mentored at the SSA Convention.
>
> "How to Become a CFIG" will be the theme of the Soaring Safety
> Foundation (SSF) booth at the SSA Convention.
[edit]
Earning
> your flight instructor certificate is challenging, yet the path is
made
> clear by the Flight Instructor Handbook, the FAA PTS, Bob Wander's
> "CFIG Made Easy" book, the nationwide SSF Flight Instructor Clinics,
> along with information in "Soaring" magazine and on the SSF website
> www.soaringsafety.org

This is a very good thing. I would add that completing your CFI
training at a site that has a good track record of completed
certifications would also be a useful measure.

Also someone must be available to administer the check ride. In some
parts of the USA, that may be difficult.

Terry Claussen
Estrella

Mark James Boyd
January 22nd 05, 07:42 AM
What would make you think it is easier for an ASEL CFI to become a full
CFIG than to become a Sport Pilot - glider - CFI?

To become a CFIG takes two FAA practical tests with a
DPE. To become an SP-CFI-G takes two proficiency checks
with a glider CFI.

Glider CFIs outnumber DPEs by at least 80 to 1.

If a DPE is readily available, then sure, both are equally
easy. But if you live somewhere without DPEs available,
the SP-CFI-G may not only be easier, it may be the
ONLY option.

It certainly has nothing to do with availability of gliders.
There is nothing in the Sport Pilot rules that prevents
all of the training and proficiency checks being done in
a glider that is NOT a Light Sport Aircraft.

Your other point, about the utility of the license,
is valid, however. Without a 2-seat LSA glider to train
students in, an SP-CFI-G doesn't have much business.

So if there isn't a 2-33 or SZD 50-3 nearby, this
privilege isn't terribly useful. That part is
completely true, and significant.

I could talk about the drawing boards, and about increasing
the speed limit to 120 knot for tow or launch instead of Vne,
and how this would then allow G103 and L-13 as LSA,
but I won't because you asked me not to ;)

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd

BTIZ
January 22nd 05, 04:29 PM
all valid arguments Mark.. but the proficiency level is about the same.. (at
least I think it should be, I have not torn apart the new FAR as much as you
have), I agree that it is a matter of two CFIs agreeing this new SP CFIG can
teach..

I guess we do not experience the lack of DPE access, we have one in the
valley, it is a simple thing of working around his airline schedule, which
has never really been a problem.

BT

> What would make you think it is easier for an ASEL CFI to become a full
> CFIG than to become a Sport Pilot - glider - CFI?
>
> To become a CFIG takes two FAA practical tests with a
> DPE. To become an SP-CFI-G takes two proficiency checks
> with a glider CFI.
>
> Glider CFIs outnumber DPEs by at least 80 to 1.
>
> If a DPE is readily available, then sure, both are equally
> easy. But if you live somewhere without DPEs available,
> the SP-CFI-G may not only be easier, it may be the
> ONLY option.
>
> It certainly has nothing to do with availability of gliders.
> There is nothing in the Sport Pilot rules that prevents
> all of the training and proficiency checks being done in
> a glider that is NOT a Light Sport Aircraft.
>
> Your other point, about the utility of the license,
> is valid, however. Without a 2-seat LSA glider to train
> students in, an SP-CFI-G doesn't have much business.
>
> So if there isn't a 2-33 or SZD 50-3 nearby, this
> privilege isn't terribly useful. That part is
> completely true, and significant.
>
> I could talk about the drawing boards, and about increasing
> the speed limit to 120 knot for tow or launch instead of Vne,
> and how this would then allow G103 and L-13 as LSA,
> but I won't because you asked me not to ;)
>
> In article <ighId.4916$ry.1044@fed1read05>,
> BTIZ > wrote:
>>"Mark James Boyd" > wrote in message
>>>I hope he gets a few questions about Sport Pilot transition to
>>> gliders, and how to become a Sport Pilot glider CFI by easily
>>> transitioning from ASEL CFI.
>>>
>>> I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more Ultralight and ASEL
>>> pilots there than previous conventions. Mike Melvill
>>> should draw a pretty good crowd.
>>
>>I would think it would be easier for the ASEL CFI to become a full CFIG,
>>and
>>forget the sport pilot glider.... why limit himself. There are not too
>>many
>>2 seat gliders that fall into the Sport Aircraft category. Let us not talk
>>about what is on the drawing boards (white erase boards?) lets talk about
>>what is flying now.
>>
>>BT
>>

> --
>
> ------------+
> Mark J. Boyd

Mark James Boyd
January 23rd 05, 04:31 AM
Yes, it does seem that the proficiency level required is perhaps identical.
The real issue is really just the availability of DPEs.

We'll see over time how many pilots choose the SP transition option
instead of or before the CFIG.

In any case, it IS another option, so I hope those pilots
in more remote areas or who are waiting for weeks after beeing fully
trained to get a DPE test will consider using SP to reduce wait
times to exercise privileges.

Cheers!

--

Mark J. Boyd