PDA

View Full Version : USA Team Online Archive Completed

John Seaborn
January 22nd 05, 10:13 PM
USA Soaring Team Online Archive Completed

The U.S. soaring community has been represented internationally for
over 50 years by the pilots, crews and managers of our Soaring Teams.
This proud tradition has been cataloged in the pages of Soaring
magazine since Paul MacCready first competed in 1950 at the 3rd World
Gliding Championships held in Sweden. The Team Archive, now online,
includes the actual championship articles digitally scanned from the
original Soaring magazines. Team members, champions, logos and patches
are represented.

Many of today's best pilots found motivation in these accounts written
by the likes of Ralph Barnaby, Joe Lincoln, Doug Lamont, Paul Schweizer
and Chuck O'Mahony. For the first time you can read about the team
pilots, fly the tasks, suffer the set backs and savor the victories for
the over fifty year history of U.S. Teams. Some files are large and may
be slow to load without a fast connection to the Internet. See the
online team archive here...
http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_archive.htm

Ken Kochanski (KK)
January 23rd 05, 12:47 PM
John,

I just finished reading the 1960 - 8th World Gliding Championships, W.
Germany ... good reading .... and great work on the archives which
provides easy online access to US world competition history. You guys
have also done a wonderful job on the whole SSA Soaring Teams section
of the site ... thanks.

Ken Kochanski (KK)

John Seaborn wrote:
> USA Soaring Team Online Archive Completed
>
> The U.S. soaring community has been represented internationally for
> over 50 years by the pilots, crews and managers of our Soaring Teams.
> This proud tradition has been cataloged in the pages of Soaring
> magazine since Paul MacCready first competed in 1950 at the 3rd World
> Gliding Championships held in Sweden. The Team Archive, now online,
> includes the actual championship articles digitally scanned from the
> original Soaring magazines. Team members, champions, logos and
patches
> are represented.
>
> Many of today's best pilots found motivation in these accounts
written
> by the likes of Ralph Barnaby, Joe Lincoln, Doug Lamont, Paul
Schweizer
> and Chuck O'Mahony. For the first time you can read about the team
> pilots, fly the tasks, suffer the set backs and savor the victories
for
> the over fifty year history of U.S. Teams. Some files are large and
may
> be slow to load without a fast connection to the Internet. See the
> online team archive here...
> http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_archive.htm

John Seaborn
January 24th 05, 12:49 AM
Ken,

Thank you for your comments. The 1960 US Team article is a classic. One
of the things I like about the article, written by Paul Schweizer, are
all the great images of the ground breaking gliders like the Zefir 2,
Phoenix and Dick Schreder's HP-8. The team photo is priceless.

John Seaborn (A8)

Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:
> John,
>
> I just finished reading the 1960 - 8th World Gliding Championships,
W.
> Germany ... good reading .... and great work on the archives which
> provides easy online access to US world competition history. You
guys
> have also done a wonderful job on the whole SSA Soaring Teams section
> of the site ... thanks.
>
> Ken Kochanski (KK)
>

> John Seaborn wrote:
> > USA Soaring Team Online Archive Completed
> >
> > The U.S. soaring community has been represented internationally for
> > over 50 years by the pilots, crews and managers of our Soaring
Teams.
> > This proud tradition has been cataloged in the pages of Soaring
> > magazine since Paul MacCready first competed in 1950 at the 3rd
World
> > Gliding Championships held in Sweden. The Team Archive, now online,
> > includes the actual championship articles digitally scanned from
the
> > original Soaring magazines. Team members, champions, logos and
> patches
> > are represented.
> >
> > Many of today's best pilots found motivation in these accounts
> written
> > by the likes of Ralph Barnaby, Joe Lincoln, Doug Lamont, Paul
> Schweizer
> > and Chuck O'Mahony. For the first time you can read about the team
> > pilots, fly the tasks, suffer the set backs and savor the victories
> for
> > the over fifty year history of U.S. Teams. Some files are large and
> may
> > be slow to load without a fast connection to the Internet. See the
> > online team archive here...
> > http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_archive.htm

January 24th 05, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the archive. The writing makes for great reading.

Larry Johnson- CCSC- Avenal

John Seaborn wrote:
> Ken,
>
> Thank you for your comments. The 1960 US Team article is a classic.
One
> of the things I like about the article, written by Paul Schweizer,
are
> all the great images of the ground breaking gliders like the Zefir 2,
> Phoenix and Dick Schreder's HP-8. The team photo is priceless.
>
> John Seaborn (A8)
>

> Ken Kochanski (KK) wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > I just finished reading the 1960 - 8th World Gliding Championships,
> W.
> > Germany ... good reading .... and great work on the archives which
> > provides easy online access to US world competition history. You
> guys
> > have also done a wonderful job on the whole SSA Soaring Teams
section
> > of the site ... thanks.
> >
> > Ken Kochanski (KK)
> >

> > John Seaborn wrote:
> > > USA Soaring Team Online Archive Completed
> > >
> > > The U.S. soaring community has been represented internationally
for
> > > over 50 years by the pilots, crews and managers of our Soaring
> Teams.
> > > This proud tradition has been cataloged in the pages of Soaring
> > > magazine since Paul MacCready first competed in 1950 at the 3rd
> World
> > > Gliding Championships held in Sweden. The Team Archive, now
online,
> > > includes the actual championship articles digitally scanned from
> the
> > > original Soaring magazines. Team members, champions, logos and
> > patches
> > > are represented.
> > >
> > > Many of today's best pilots found motivation in these accounts
> > written
> > > by the likes of Ralph Barnaby, Joe Lincoln, Doug Lamont, Paul
> > Schweizer
> > > and Chuck O'Mahony. For the first time you can read about the
team
> > > pilots, fly the tasks, suffer the set backs and savor the
victories
> > for
> > > the over fifty year history of U.S. Teams. Some files are large
and
> > may
> > > be slow to load without a fast connection to the Internet. See
the
> > > online team archive here...
> > > http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_archive.htm

Mike the Strike
January 24th 05, 04:29 PM
Absolutely fascinating!

As a ten-year old, I witnessed gliders from the 1954 World's flying
over my nearby home in Derbyshire and this piqued my interest in
soaring. It's a real eye-opener to read the first-hand accounts.

Also interesting to read the accounts of team flying, I wonder how long
ago the USA stopped doing this and I wonder if we lost something as a
result?

Mike

ASW 20 WA

Dave Martin
January 24th 05, 05:24 PM
The club in Derbyshire is still going strong, I also
saw the gliders flying over the club all those years
ago and became hooked - I am now the Chairman of the
club and it is still fascinating.

Dave Martin
Derbyshire and Lancashire Gliding Club UK
(71 years old, not me the club)

At 17:32 24 January 2005, Mike The Strike wrote:
>Absolutely fascinating!
>
>As a ten-year old, I witnessed gliders from the 1954
>World's flying
>over my nearby home in Derbyshire and this piqued my
>interest in
>soaring. It's a real eye-opener to read the first-hand
>accounts.
>
>Also interesting to read the accounts of team flying,
>I wonder how long
>ago the USA stopped doing this and I wonder if we lost
>something as a
>result?
>
>Mike
>
>ASW 20 WA

January 27th 05, 05:23 AM
Great work John.
Some great reading here and some excellent old images

Al

Google