PDA

View Full Version : AOL dumps newsgroups

MikeYankee
January 25th 05, 01:33 PM
Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
below).

When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them to
reduce their service.

If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword "Tell Us"
and let those *******s hear from you.

----------------- actual text of AOL message ------------------------

Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to
access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla
Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
http://groups.google.com/.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Andrew Warbrick
January 25th 05, 02:55 PM
Welcome to http://ras.gliderpilot.net :) Look on the
bright side, at least you get email, BT Broadband don't
even oficially provide an SMTP relay unless you pay
£30/month for BT/Yahoo broadband. Fortunately they
are too thick to exclude vanilla broadband subscribers
from their SMTP relay :)

At 14:30 25 January 2005, Mikeyankee wrote:
>Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking
>on newsgroups to the
>effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as
>of 'early 2005' (see
>below).
>
>When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy
>'was based on user
>feedback' -- yeah, like we've all been banging down
>AOL's door asking them to
>reduce their service.
>
>If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks,
>use keyword 'Tell Us'
>and let those *******s hear from you.
>
>----------------- actual text of AOL message ---------------------
>>---
>
>Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued
>in early 2005.
>

>For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you
>will no longer be able to
>access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed
>connection, you can
>contact your broadband provider to see if they offer
>Newsgroups. Newsgroup
>services can often be accessed through a third party
>reader, such as Mozilla
>Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).
>
>Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google
>at
>http://groups.google.com/.
>
>We apologize for this inconvenience.
>

>Mike Yankee
>
>(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
>To reply, delete everything after 'com'.)

5Z
January 25th 05, 04:02 PM
I just switched back to groups.google.com - the beta version and it's
working very well. Used to be google didn't show posts with the "don't
archive" flag, but now they show them for 6 days.

-Tom

F.L. Whiteley
January 25th 05, 06:14 PM
You're not paying more, you're just getting less

groups.google.com works okay, but some posts seem slow to appear there. I'm
not very fussy about their 'new look', but the current price is right

"MikeYankee" > wrote in message
> Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
> effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
> below).
>
> When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
> feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them
> reduce their service.
>
> If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword "Tell
Us"
> and let those *******s hear from you.
>
> ----------------- actual text of AOL message ------------------------
>
> Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.
>

> For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be
able to
> access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
> contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
> services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as
Mozilla
> Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).
>
> Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
> http://groups.google.com/.
>
> We apologize for this inconvenience.
>

> Mike Yankee
>
> (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
> To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Mitch Deutsch
January 26th 05, 02:21 AM
What I don't understand is that people continue to maintain their loyal
allegiance to AOL despite their prior poor history in not providing what
they had promised and their high priced monthly fees.............

Competition for your dollars is out there. There are several high quality
ISP's out there who provide more and ask for less.

My two cents....

"MikeYankee" > wrote in message
> Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
> effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
> below).
>
> When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
> feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them
> reduce their service.
>
> If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword "Tell
> Us"
> and let those *******s hear from you.
>
> ----------------- actual text of AOL message ------------------------
>
> Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.
>

> For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be
> able to
> access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
> contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
> services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as
> Mozilla
> Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).
>
> Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
> http://groups.google.com/.
>
> We apologize for this inconvenience.
>

> Mike Yankee
>
> (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
> To reply, delete everything after "com".)

F.L. Whiteley
January 26th 05, 05:14 AM
There was an NPR story a few years back about how some thought AOL WAS the
Internet. I've encountered this a few times, where people have never
explored outside of the content side of AOL and could not be coaxed away.
As recently as last week I had someone call and was assisting their family
to finally get on the Internet and was under the distinct impression that
MSN and AOL were the only options.

"Mitch Deutsch" > wrote in message
link.net...
> What I don't understand is that people continue to maintain their loyal
> allegiance to AOL despite their prior poor history in not providing what
> they had promised and their high priced monthly fees.............
>
> Competition for your dollars is out there. There are several high quality
> ISP's out there who provide more and ask for less.
>
> My two cents....
>

> "MikeYankee" > wrote in message
> > Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to
the
> > effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005"
(see
> > below).
> >
> > When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
> > feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking
them
> > reduce their service.
> >
> > If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword
"Tell
> > Us"
> > and let those *******s hear from you.
> >
> > ----------------- actual text of AOL message ------------------------
> >
> > Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early
2005.

> > For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be
> > able to
> > access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you
can
> > contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups.
Newsgroup
> > services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as
> > Mozilla
> > Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).
> >
> > Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
> > http://groups.google.com/.
> >
> > We apologize for this inconvenience.
> >

> > Mike Yankee
> >
> > (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
> > To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Bob
January 26th 05, 07:46 PM
That used to be the case; that it took hours to get posted but this
Beta version seems a lot quicker...

Bob

------------------------

> > Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in
early 2005.

> > For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer
be
> able to
> > access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection,
you can
> > contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups.
Newsgroup
> > services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such
as
> Mozilla
> > Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).
> >
> > Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
> > http://groups.google.com/.
> >
> > We apologize for this inconvenience.
> >

> > Mike Yankee
> >
> > (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
> > To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Mal.com
January 28th 05, 11:05 AM
Always off line !

Bela
January 30th 05, 12:33 AM
After 40 yrs. in the computer design business and 25 yrs. owning at
least one PC at a time, AOL is one of very the first item I wean PC
newbies.
The power of brain washing is increadible.
Bela

January 31st 05, 08:02 PM
(MikeYankee) writes:

> Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups
> to the effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of
> "early 2005" (see below).

Yeah, it is finally October!!

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,