PDA

View Full Version : THEMI and WinPilot thermal centering reviews?

Stewart Kissel
January 26th 05, 05:25 PM
I googled this topic and found a few threads...but
nothing to recent. Anyone out in cyberspace want to
provide input from *actual* use? I am not intersted
in started a flame war over the 'purity' of using these
devices. Just curious as to how they have worked out.
I drop waypoints into my GPS on occasion when I work
a blue thermal that is on my return course...but other
then that I use the conditions outside the cockpit
to hunt thermals. I noticed where WinPilot now has
a means of evaluating multiple flights to determine
ahead of time where thermals may be...sort of a refinement
of CH's project.

Steve Hill
January 26th 05, 06:28 PM
I have used the WinPilot thermal centering feature since I first plugged the
unit into my 302...I would have to say that it works...I find that it's just
one more little beep in the cockpit,that I really don't pay much attention
to, but on the weird western washington days, when thermals rapidly cycle
and the day is drying out very quickly, I have many times found myself
confirming my decisions by the reassuring little beep the thermal centering
feature makes. I have never allowed it to drive me, and in most cases feel
that it lags just enough that you tend to analyze the thermal yourself and
make your own decision and then the instrument backs you up...there of
course are the odd times, when you get distracted by it, as it gets a little
confused when you are working thermals that have multiple "cores" or perhaps
two or three thermals all culminating under one large cloud...but in those
cases you just fly and do what you think is right. I have never found it to
be a detriment in the cockpit and I think in some ways it might make you pay
more attention subliminally to analyzing your thermals better...If you are
doing things well...it never squawks...

As with most technology...it suits some and doesn't suit other is my best
guess.

Steve.

Paul Remde
January 26th 05, 08:54 PM
Hi Stewart,

My friends Fred Hewitt owns a DG-1000 which has a Themi installed. He says
he really like it a lot. That is the only direct feedback I've received on
the Themi.

I sell the Themi.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Stewart Kissel" > wrote in
message ...
>I googled this topic and found a few threads...but
> nothing to recent. Anyone out in cyberspace want to
> provide input from *actual* use? I am not intersted
> in started a flame war over the 'purity' of using these
> devices. Just curious as to how they have worked out.
> I drop waypoints into my GPS on occasion when I work
> a blue thermal that is on my return course...but other
> then that I use the conditions outside the cockpit
> to hunt thermals. I noticed where WinPilot now has
> a means of evaluating multiple flights to determine
> ahead of time where thermals may be...sort of a refinement
> of CH's project.

January 27th 05, 05:19 AM
Not flown with Themi but have used climb maximizer for a few years now.

It works pretty well especially if conditions are light and you are
tired at the end of a flight. It helps take the guess work out of
centering.

I get more value however in zooming in so I can see in the circle the
lift dot sizes relative to turn. Just steer for the bigger lift dots.
Al

Thomas Knauff
January 27th 05, 01:52 PM
First of all, I am a dealer for Themi in the USA.

Bernd Scheffel, the designer of Themi, came to our gliderport several years
ago with his Themi device and installed it in our Duo Discus. We flew
together for an hour or so, and I considered the device as "interesting."

With my vast hours of thermalling experience, I had developed certain
Pavlovian responses to bumps in the air and beeps of the audio. I considered
my thermalling methods to be at least above average, fully understanding the
typical turmoil of the thermal air-flow. I doubted if Themi would be a
useful tool - at least for me or any experienced pilot.

One day, I decided to find out just what Themi was capable of. I doggedly
followed the blinking lights and discovered to my amazement that it was
unerringly correct. Often, my resposnes to bumps and beeps would have been
different than Themi indicated.

One must understand Themi does not look out the window. Using simple
variometer and GPS signals, it only tells the pilot where the center of the
lift was as experienced during the last turn.

For this reason, I find Themi most valuable when there are no clouds, or
iwhen low and disassociated from the clouds. At these times, Themi is
invaluable.

Themi uses two bright LED lights to signal when to steepen, shallow turns or
fly straight to the better lift. When the pilot is centering correctly,
there are no light signals. No distracting audio, nothing to distract the
pilot. There is no reason to look anywhere except outside the glider,
observing conditions outside for visual clues and collision avoidance.

The trend towards devices inside the cockpit which can be distracting, and
often provide lots of "interesting" information rather than the few things a
pilot really needs to know is an important issue when considering adding any
device to your cockpit.