PDA

View Full Version : New high-res photos available in GPS Visualizer

Adam Schneider
January 31st 05, 06:31 AM
A minor update regarding http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ ...

The TerraServer folks have been quietly rolling out high-resolution
(and mostly color) 2002 satellite photos for additional cities, and
whenever they do, GPS Visualizer is able to take advantage of the new
imagery (with no intervention on my behalf). So I'm pleased to note
that the following areas are now covered by the snazzy new photos:

- Denver
- Huntsville
- Los Angeles/Orange County
- Louisville
- New Orleans
- Salt Lake City
- San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose
- Topeka
- Worcester, MA

This is in addition to the following areas which have been out there
for some time now: Albuquerque, Amarillo, Anchorage, Atlanta, Baton
Rouge, Charlotte, Chicago, Colorado Springs, Dallas/Fort Worth,
Detroit, El Paso, Fort Wayne, Fresno, Houston, Jackson, Knoxville,
Lexington, Lincoln, Lubbock, Mobile, Modesto, Montgomery, Oklahoma
City, Orlando, Portland (OR), Providence, Raleigh-Durham, Sacramento,
Saint Louis, Seattle, Shreveport, Springfield (MA), Stockton, Tampa/St.
Petersburg, Tucson, Washington (DC). Of course, the rest of the
country is covered by not-quite-as-high-resolution black-and-white
photos and topo maps.

And I wanted to remind people that in addition to being able to make
SVG maps from all kinds of GPS data files, GPS Visualizer can also
convert street addresses to coordinates, provided they're entered (and
spelled!) properly: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=address
Non-U.S. addresses sometimes work, sometimes not.

As always, have fun, and let me know if you have any problems.

Adam Schneider
adamschneider.net

..

Ron Parker
January 31st 05, 02:03 PM
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:31:18 -0800, Adam Schneider wrote:
> The TerraServer folks have been quietly rolling out high-resolution
> (and mostly color) 2002 satellite photos for additional cities, and

For the 8,322,163rd time, the photos on MSN Terraserver are NOT satellite
photos.

--
#local R=<7084844682857967,0787982,826975826580>;#macro L(P)concat(#while(P)chr(
mod(P,100)),#local P=P/100;#end"")#end background{rgb 1}text{ttf L(R.x)L(R.y)0,0

Adam Schneider
January 31st 05, 05:43 PM
Ron Parker > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:31:18 -0800, Adam Schneider wrote:
> > The TerraServer folks have been quietly rolling out high-resolution
> > (and mostly color) 2002 satellite photos for additional cities, and
>
> For the 8,322,163rd time, the photos on MSN Terraserver are NOT satellite
> photos.

I know. Mea culpa. This is what happens when I compose a posting very
late at night.

Let me rephrase: "The TerraServer folks have been quietly rolling out
high-resolution (and mostly color) 2002 aerial photos for additional
cities...."

So GPS Visualizer now has very nice color AERIAL photos of Los Angeles,
Denver, the Bay Area, etc. available as backgrounds.

Adam Schneider
adamschneider.net

..

Jack Yeazel
February 4th 05, 03:55 PM
Adam Schneider wrote:

> Let me rephrase: "The TerraServer folks have been quietly rolling out
> high-resolution (and mostly color) 2002 aerial photos for additional
> cities...."
>
> So GPS Visualizer now has very nice color AERIAL photos of Los Angeles,
> Denver, the Bay Area, etc. available as backgrounds.

-And Washington DC, Houston, Atlanta, and Chicago...
TNX, I'll add your cities to:
http://www.gpsinformation.net/waas/maps/usaphoto.html
--
Jack

Get general GPS information at: http://www.gpsinformation.net/

Adam Schneider
February 4th 05, 06:43 PM
Jack Yeazel wrote:

> Adam Schneider wrote:
> >
> > So GPS Visualizer now has very nice color AERIAL photos of Los Angeles,
> > Denver, the Bay Area, etc. available as backgrounds.
>
> -And Washington DC, Houston, Atlanta, and Chicago...

Whew, for a moment I thought you'd turned up even more cities -- but of
course, those have already been out there for a while now. The Bay
Area and L.A. were nice additions in the latest batch. Still waiting
on Boston and Minneapolis...

By the way, Jack, I see your page notes somes errors in the Atlanta and
Houston maps. Check out Dallas; there are big white gaps between the
"tiles" of urban area imagery, and everything's a little off.

Adam Schneider
gpsvisualizer.com

For Example John Smith
February 4th 05, 08:49 PM
"Adam Schneider" > wrote in message
ox.com...
> Houston maps. Check out Dallas; there are big white gaps between the
> "tiles" of urban area imagery, and everything's a little off.

Houstonians have been aware of that for years.

February 4th 05, 09:34 PM
The acme mapper has been modified to use these images as well.

I don't have the link handy, but you can look at SFO airport and read
United on one of the buildings. It's pretty impressive stuff.

This will get you in the neighborhood
<http://mapper.acme.com/?lat=37.621152&long=-122.38541&scale=11&theme=ColorImage&width=3&height=2&dot=Yes>

Google