PDA

View Full Version : New Word 'SOARING'

Ray Lovinggood
February 2nd 05, 02:43 AM
I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.

It can be found on page 22, in the caption next to
the photo of the 2-33. The caption reads,

'The author's buyfriend at moment of touchdown.'

How right that word can be, for either a 'boyfriend'
or a husband.

I also noticed the M&H ad seems a bit dated. But then
again, Ground Hog day is tomorrow, so maybe it is appropriate.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Buyfriend for my wife

Mhudson126
February 2nd 05, 04:07 AM
Of course, there is also Brian Resor's SEE you article with ALL the captions
for the pictures left out so they make no sense. For those of you who would
like to see the entire, un screwed up article, please E-Mail me.

Shawn
February 2nd 05, 02:14 PM
Mhudson126 wrote:
> Of course, there is also Brian Resor's SEE you article with ALL the captions
> for the pictures left out so they make no sense. For those of you who would
> like to see the entire, un screwed up article, please E-Mail me.

Any chance you can post it on a web site for a while?
If not you can remove all the another dot here crap from my e-mail for
correct address.

Thanks,
Shawn

Vorsanger1
February 2nd 05, 03:16 PM
The same article quoted by Ray Lovingood credits the "Authour". Even our
English friends do not spell it that way. Someone (something?) is slipping in
the editing department at Soaring Magazine.

Cheers (or is it chears, chiers ?)

Charles

Mark Zivley
February 2nd 05, 06:48 PM
Not to beat them up too much, but the picture on the cover was in a
Soaring calendar a few years back. How about some new stuff?

Ray Lovinggood wrote:
> I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
> and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.
>
> It can be found on page 22, in the caption next to
> the photo of the 2-33. The caption reads,
>
> 'The author's buyfriend at moment of touchdown.'
>
> How right that word can be, for either a 'boyfriend'
> or a husband.
>
> I also noticed the M&H ad seems a bit dated. But then
> again, Ground Hog day is tomorrow, so maybe it is appropriate.
>
> Ray Lovinggood
> Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
> Buyfriend for my wife

Mark James Boyd
February 2nd 05, 06:48 PM
Hmmm...maybe they have so much spectacular content and
so many great photos to edit and put out, that the pedantic details
of slightly misspelled but perfectly understood words isn't
their highest priority.

But I'm guessing with the high quality printing, they'll be
able to take that feedback and print a retraction in the
back in 2 point font ;P

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd

Jim Skydell
February 2nd 05, 09:18 PM
Gentlemen:

You are all making reference in your comments regarding SOARING
magazine, in one way or the other, to "The SSA."

I'd respectfully point out to you all that "The SSA" does not produce a
magazine. People, in this case Denise Layton, (managing editor), Steve
Hines (art director) and a volunteer staff of your peers (contributing
editors) produce the magazine. And being people, they have the same
feelings you all (presumably) do. They surely take Ray's "buyfriend"
comment in jest. Others they surely do not.

It's very easy to be critical of "The SSA," or "SOARING magazine"
because they have no voices, and cannot respond. Nor can they afford
you some insight into exactly what it's like putting out five issues of
the magazine, and at least one issue of Technical Soaring at the same
time as planning and executing a national convention, to say nothing of
running a 12,600 member organization (all for your benefit).

"The SSA" and "SOARING magazine" have no voices, but I do. And again,
respectfully, I know what I am talking about. I have spent at least 60
hour weeks for over a year as a volunteer for the SSA, serving on the
Board, ExComm, and creating a convention that I hope each of you will
attend and enjoy.

In so doing, I have worked closely with all of the Hobbs staff. In
particular, I helped Denise Layton create the convention program, which
is nearly as large as an issue of SOARING magazine. Denise did this at
the same time she put out 5 issues of SOARING, and at least one issue of
Technical Soaring. And Steve Hines has been very helpful with graphic
design for the convention. He was busy creating those five SOARING
issues, while Denise did the program herself.

Just how hard does this woman work for "The SSA?" She will be angry
with me for sharing this, but I think it's high time "The SSA" had a
voice, and you started to listen to it:

"At this point I barely remember my own name, and I now have bigger and
better problems then that. Problems with the March magazine. I have not
had a single day off (including weekends) since Christmas, have only
gone to lunch maybe three times in the last three weeks, and killed
myself working on the convention and the magazine. I have come in early
every morning, left late every night. I can't take the nastiness on RAS
any more."

Is SOARING magazine perfect? Far from it. Is it significantly better in
recent times? I, for one, think so. And everyone involved is working
hard to make it better, all the time. While there is some significant
confusion about exactly who might be responsible for those missing
captions in Mr. Rezor's article, in the future, please do your best to
"go easy" on people when mistakes are made. These people can only do 4
or 5 things at once, and ultimately, everything they do (imperfect as
they may be) is for you.

I hope all of you will attend the convention.

Jim Skydell Region 12

dianne
February 2nd 05, 09:41 PM
Jim Skydell wrote:
> [...]

early
> every morning, left late every night. I can't take the nastiness on
RAS
> any more."
>
> Is SOARING magazine perfect? Far from it. Is it significantly better
in
> recent times? I, for one, think so. And everyone involved is
working
> hard to make it better, all the time. While there is some significant

> confusion about exactly who might be responsible for those missing
> captions in Mr. Rezor's article, in the future, please do your best
> "go easy" on people when mistakes are made. These people can only do
4
> or 5 things at once, and ultimately, everything they do (imperfect as

> they may be) is for you.
>
> I hope all of you will attend the convention.

dianne
February 2nd 05, 09:45 PM
Jim:
You forgot to tell them that they obviously have not volunteered to
help out. Its a very small group doing everything that needs doing and
volunteerism is the buzz word this year. If you don't like the
pictures, send some new ones; if you don't like the editing, become a
contributing editor. Stop whining and pitch in and help.

February 2nd 05, 09:50 PM
Mark Zivley wrote:
> Not to beat them up too much, but the picture on the cover was in a
> Soaring calendar a few years back. How about some new stuff?
>
> Ray Lovinggood wrote:
> > I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
> > and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.
> >
> > It can be found on page 22, in the caption next to
> > the photo of the 2-33. The caption reads,
> >
> > 'The author's buyfriend at moment of touchdown.'
> >
> > How right that word can be, for either a 'boyfriend'
> > or a husband.
> >
> > I also noticed the M&H ad seems a bit dated. But then
> > again, Ground Hog day is tomorrow, so maybe it is appropriate.
> >
> > Ray Lovinggood
> > Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
> > Buyfriend for my wife
> >

> >Comment:
As a group, you guys are a bunch of snots!
I pretty can't take the "Let's take our shots this week" mentality.
It is true that there are some errors in Soaring magazine- occasionally
even a couple real clangers, by by and large, I think it is greatly
improved and enjoy it.
I suspect you have no idea how hurtful some of these comments are. If
you do, more the shame.
An important employee of SSA resigned this week, in part because of
this kind of nastiness and the abuse received over the phone from some
members.
I'd be interested in how many of you do jobs that are reviewed by 12000
critics.
UH

Jim Kellett
February 2nd 05, 10:25 PM
"Ray Lovinggood" > wrote in message

> I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
> and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.

The only quote worth repeating form the inimitable Marion Barry, former and
now again elected official of the District of Columbia, was a remark once
made to a reporter querying him about being caught in a drug bust . . .he
said:

"Get Over It".

<big grin>

Why Worry About Grammar??? (Read the Following Quickly .)

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh,and I awlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt.

-Jim Kellett,Resident Curmudgeon

Shawn
February 2nd 05, 10:48 PM
Jim Kellett wrote:
> "Ray Lovinggood" > wrote in message
>

>>I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
>>and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.
>

> The only quote worth repeating form the inimitable Marion Barry, former and
> now again elected official of the District of Columbia, was a remark once
> made to a reporter querying him about being caught in a drug bust . . .he
> said:
>
> "Get Over It".
>
> <big grin>
>
> Why Worry About Grammar??? (Read the Following Quickly .)
>
> I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
> phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde
> Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the
> olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
> pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
> porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
> istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh,and I awlyas thought
> slpeling was ipmorantt.

Tell my fifth grade English teacher it isn't important. Scariest woman
I ever knew.

Shawn

Mitch
February 3rd 05, 12:11 AM
Shawn wrote:
> Jim Kellett wrote:
> > "Ray Lovinggood" > wrote in
message

> >>I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
> >>and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.
> >

> > The only quote worth repeating form the inimitable Marion Barry,
former and
> > now again elected official of the District of Columbia, was a
remark once
> > made to a reporter querying him about being caught in a drug bust .
.. .he
> > said:
> >
> > "Get Over It".
> >
> > <big grin>
> >
> > Why Worry About Grammar??? (Read the Following Quickly .)
> >
> > I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
rdanieg. The
> > phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde
> > Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod
are, the
> > olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the
rghit
> > pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it
wouthit a
> > porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter
by
> > istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh,and I awlyas
thought
> > slpeling was ipmorantt.
>
> Tell my fifth grade English teacher it isn't important. Scariest
woman
> I ever knew.
>
> Shawn

The full article will be available on the website www.abqsoaring.org
within the next couple of days. For those of you who have read the
article, the tutorial on how to submit to the OLC also resides on the
same page. (Reference to it in the mag, but no link)
-Mitch
P.S. Not criticizing, just trying to get the full information out
there for what I feel is an important article that people would be
extremely interested to read!

Jim Skydell
February 3rd 05, 12:34 AM
dianne wrote:

> Jim:
> You forgot to tell them that they obviously have not volunteered to
> help out. Its a very small group doing everything that needs doing and
> volunteerism is the buzz word this year. If you don't like the
> pictures, send some new ones; if you don't like the editing, become a
> contributing editor. Stop whining and pitch in and help.

Dianne, Mr. Vorsanger is already helping us, and I am grateful for it.
He worked very hard at the AOPA convention this year, staffing the SSA
booth. He is also one of our 80 or so convention volunteers. I took his
comment in jest, as I did Ray's.

As far as some of the other folks posting here, I doubt Denise would
want their help. That's why I didn't ask.

Jim

Jim Vincent
February 3rd 05, 03:17 AM
I saw the typo on boyfriend (buyfriend) and was amused. Soaring is essentially
a home grown magazine that does a great job considering the resources it has.
I suppose we could add another editor, but that would increase our dues. I'd
rather keep the occasional typo. Good thing it was not bi-friend.

What I don't get is the Too Late To Classify section. How come there are
always repeat ads in there? Also, how can anyone write an article about
actually enjoying a flight in a 2-33? I thought the mantra was glass, glass,
glass.

Jim Vincent
N483SZ

Tony Verhulst
February 3rd 05, 04:01 AM
>> Why Worry About Grammar??? (Read the Following Quickly .)
>>
>> I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.

> Tell my fifth grade English teacher it isn't important. Scariest woman
> I ever knew.

Mrs Hall went to visit an author friend in the hospital. He was
complaining about a miss-spelled word in a magazine article he wrote.
Mrs Hall said "what's the big deal?. The author replied "mrs Hell, it
makes a hall of a difference". Miss-spelled words in a magazine may not
be important, but it is sloppy, IMHO.

Tony V.

F.L. Whiteley
February 3rd 05, 04:21 AM
"Tony Verhulst" > wrote in message

> >> Why Worry About Grammar??? (Read the Following Quickly .)
> >>
> >> I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
>
> > Tell my fifth grade English teacher it isn't important. Scariest woman
> > I ever knew.
>
> Mrs Hall went to visit an author friend in the hospital. He was
> complaining about a miss-spelled word in a magazine article he wrote.
> Mrs Hall said "what's the big deal?. The author replied "mrs Hell, it
> makes a hall of a difference". Miss-spelled words in a magazine may not
> be important, but it is sloppy, IMHO.
>
> Tony V.
Of course, application spell checkers lead to all sorts of grammatical and
spelling errors these days. My home town paper has more than it's share.
AP has more than a few also.

Frank Whiteley

Bruce
February 3rd 05, 05:24 AM
Well put Jim

If something bothers you - do something constructive about it.

Constructive things include anything that makes gathering, editing and producing
the content easier. By far the biggest job in terms of time and frustration
appears to be getting people to contribute material. Stories, photos and ideas.
You don't have to be able to produce a professional quality document - that's
the editor's job. Conversely, the likelihood of the editor having your
experience in soaring is small.

My wife is a freelance industrial editor - producing what she refers to as
"mortal prose" . In house magazines pretty similar to Soaring. So I have some
appreciation for how hard it is to produce something like this.

If you make the job easier, the value / quality of what you get will improve.
Don't like seeing old pictures? - Contribute some new ones.

Just my 2c worth. (unlike Jim, not so respectful - there are too many whiners
out there...)

Jim Skydell wrote:
> [...]
> gone to lunch maybe three times in the last three weeks, and killed
> myself working on the convention and the magazine. I have come in early
> every morning, left late every night. I can't take the nastiness on RAS
> any more."
>
> Is SOARING magazine perfect? Far from it. Is it significantly better in
> recent times? I, for one, think so. And everyone involved is working
> hard to make it better, all the time. While there is some significant
> confusion about exactly who might be responsible for those missing
> captions in Mr. Rezor's article, in the future, please do your best to
> "go easy" on people when mistakes are made. These people can only do 4
> or 5 things at once, and ultimately, everything they do (imperfect as
> they may be) is for you.
>
> I hope all of you will attend the convention.

Pat Russell
February 3rd 05, 01:47 PM
> My home town paper has more than it's share.

Its a shame.

Personally, I rely on the spell-checker to keep me safe from
special disorientation.

-Pat

February 3rd 05, 02:02 PM
Jim Vincent wrote:
> I saw the typo on boyfriend (buyfriend) and was amused. Soaring is
essentially
> a home grown magazine that does a great job considering the resources
it has.
> I suppose we could add another editor, but that would increase our
dues. I'd
> rather keep the occasional typo. Good thing it was not bi-friend.
>
> What I don't get is the Too Late To Classify section. How come there
are
> always repeat ads in there? Also, how can anyone write an article
about
> actually enjoying a flight in a 2-33? I thought the mantra was
glass, glass,
> glass.
>
> Jim Vincent
> N483SZ

Hey Jim- You are sounding like an elitist snob. You fly in an older,
well established, and relatively wealthy club. Many others, likely the
majority, don't. Lots of people do enjoy flying 2-33's or 1-26's or
whatever.
The mantra should be to enjoy whatever you fly and encourage the other
person to do the same. It does not matter what you fly, but rather that
you fly.
UH

February 3rd 05, 02:06 PM
Jim Vincent wrote:
> I saw the typo on boyfriend (buyfriend) and was amused. Soaring is
essentially
> a home grown magazine that does a great job considering the resources
it has.
> I suppose we could add another editor, but that would increase our
dues. I'd
> rather keep the occasional typo. Good thing it was not bi-friend.
>
> What I don't get is the Too Late To Classify section. How come there
are
> always repeat ads in there? Also, how can anyone write an article
about
> actually enjoying a flight in a 2-33? I thought the mantra was
glass, glass,
> glass.
>
> Jim Vincent
> N483SZ

Jim Vincent
February 3rd 05, 02:22 PM
Sorry, but I thought my sarcasm was showing by mentioning the mantra of glass,
glass, glass. Personally, I always questioned the value of transitioning to a
G-103 fleet instead of the good old 2-33s. It has substantially raised our
membership cost and consequently driven some members out.

I am not an elitist slob, but most of the management and their cronies refer to
anything not glass as POS. It is almost humorous to hear a student with less
than ten flights refer to a 1-26 as a POS.

When I started flying, I compared the cost of renting a 2-33 to the cost of
renting a G103. The decision was a no brainer. Learn to fly in a 2-33 and
then do 3-4 flights to transition to the Grob. No big deal. At my club, the
thinking is one has to unlearn the bad habits developed in a 2-33.

The Great news is....I quit PGC! Time to have fun!

>actually enjoying a flight in a 2-33? I thought the mantra was
>glass, glass,
>> glass.
>>

>Hey Jim- You are sounding like an elitist snob. You fly in an older,
>well established, and relatively wealthy club. Many others, likely the
>majority, don't. Lots of people do enjoy flying 2-33's or 1-26's or
>whatever.
>The mantra should be to enjoy whatever you fly and encourage the other
>person to do the same. It does not matter what you fly, but rather that
>you fly.
>UH

Jim Vincent
N483SZ

February 3rd 05, 02:37 PM
Jim Vincent wrote:
> I saw the typo on boyfriend (buyfriend) and was amused. Soaring is
essentially
> a home grown magazine that does a great job considering the resources
it has.
> I suppose we could add another editor, but that would increase our
dues. I'd
> rather keep the occasional typo. Good thing it was not bi-friend.
>
> What I don't get is the Too Late To Classify section. How come there
are
> always repeat ads in there? Also, how can anyone write an article
about
> actually enjoying a flight in a 2-33? I thought the mantra was
glass, glass,
> glass.
>
> Jim Vincent
> N483SZ

CV
February 3rd 05, 02:51 PM
Ray Lovinggood wrote:
> 'The author's buyfriend at moment of touchdown.'
>
> How right that word can be, for either a 'boyfriend'
> or a husband.

Especially one who is buysexual ...
CV

Nyal Williams
February 3rd 05, 04:39 PM
At 05:00 03 February 2005, Tony Verhulst wrote:

>>> Why Worry About Grammar??? (Read the Following Quickly
>>>.)
>>>
>>> I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd
>>>waht I was rdanieg.
>
>> Tell my fifth grade English teacher it isn't important.
>> Scariest woman
>> I ever knew.
>
>Mrs Hall went to visit an author friend in the hospital.
>He was
>complaining about a miss-spelled word in a magazine
>article he wrote.
>Mrs Hall said 'what's the big deal?. The author replied
>'mrs Hell, it
>makes a hall of a difference'. Miss-spelled words in
>a magazine may not
>be important, but it is sloppy, IMHO.
>
>Tony V.

Right!

I appreciate the work that the staff at SSA does -
very much.

We have a creeping disease in our society that puts
the bottom line ahead of every consideration of quality,
and it affects every profession and every thing we
do. The hurry up to reduce overhead forces neglect,
carelessness, sloppy work. I have spent 30 years in
my house finding and correcting shortcuts the builder
took to save a few moments. His saving $2.50 has cost
me $30.00 in many cases.

Language is as important as arithmetic. If you wouldn't
tolerate incorrect math, why dismiss sloppy language
as unimportant. It reveals that the person either
does not care for precision, or else is so rushed that
he/she has no time to go back and clean up their work.
We all make typos; how many go back and read through
their posts before sending them out.

I'm a curmudgeon; I judge people who use poor grammar
and syntax as persons who can't or don't think critically;
maybe they can, but are just slovenly. Shirtsleeve
English doesn't work in print; it causes confusion.

I worked in a university. I observed that foreign
students coming to this country spoke with very precise,
articulate English and put our local students to shame
with their precision of thought and expression. They
even ask for help in correcting their English, and
they have thanked me when I pointed out errors, and
begged for more comments. It is as easy to learn it
correctly as it is to learn it incorrectly. We stopped
teaching grammar back in the 60s in favor of getting
students to 'express themselves.' We are paying for
that now.

I served as a consultant to a legal firm in evaluating
a collection of intellectual property in a divorce
settlement. The correspondence from the young lawyer
got all the 'boiler plate' down pat, but it was painful
trying to sort out his meaning in the text surrounding
it. We required two or three letters to sort out what
he really wanted precisely from me. Spell checkers
create as much confusion as they solve.

I'm off my soapbox, and I promise not to get back up
on it again; I do appreciate the editors and writers
at SSA and I do not attack them. They need more help.

snoop
February 3rd 05, 05:58 PM
"creeping disease, precision, university, consultant, articulate,
boiler plate",= ___________ Fill in the blank with your favorite
adjective.

All y'all need to go flying. Geeeesh!!!

Nyal Williams wrote:

> I appreciate the work that the staff at SSA does -
> very much.
>
> We have a creeping disease in our society that puts
> the bottom line ahead of every consideration of quality,
> and it affects every profession and every thing we
> do. The hurry up to reduce overhead forces neglect,
> carelessness, sloppy work. I have spent 30 years in
> my house finding and correcting shortcuts the builder
> took to save a few moments. His saving $2.50 has cost
> me $30.00 in many cases.
>
> Language is as important as arithmetic. If you wouldn't
> tolerate incorrect math, why dismiss sloppy language
> as unimportant. It reveals that the person either
> does not care for precision, or else is so rushed that
> he/she has no time to go back and clean up their work.
> We all make typos; how many go back and read through
> their posts before sending them out.
>
> I'm a curmudgeon; I judge people who use poor grammar
> and syntax as persons who can't or don't think critically;
> maybe they can, but are just slovenly. Shirtsleeve
> English doesn't work in print; it causes confusion.
>
> I worked in a university. I observed that foreign
> students coming to this country spoke with very precise,
> articulate English and put our local students to shame
> with their precision of thought and expression. They
> even ask for help in correcting their English, and
> they have thanked me when I pointed out errors, and
> begged for more comments. It is as easy to learn it
> correctly as it is to learn it incorrectly. We stopped
> teaching grammar back in the 60s in favor of getting
> students to 'express themselves.' We are paying for
> that now.
>
> I served as a consultant to a legal firm in evaluating
> a collection of intellectual property in a divorce
> settlement. The correspondence from the young lawyer
> got all the 'boiler plate' down pat, but it was painful
> trying to sort out his meaning in the text surrounding
> it. We required two or three letters to sort out what
> he really wanted precisely from me. Spell checkers
> create as much confusion as they solve.
>
> I'm off my soapbox, and I promise not to get back up
> on it again; I do appreciate the editors and writers
> at SSA and I do not attack them. They need more help.

Nyal Williams
February 3rd 05, 06:56 PM
At 19:00 03 February 2005, Snoop wrote:
>'creeping disease, precision, university, consultant,
>articulate,
>boiler plate',= ___________ Fill in the blank with
>your favorite
>adjective.
>
>All y'all need to go flying. Geeeesh!!!

I believe the correct workd is you'uns. ;-)

I'd sure love to go flying; maybe in another month.

Bruce
February 3rd 05, 07:54 PM
Nyal Williams wrote:
> At 19:00 03 February 2005, Snoop wrote:
>
>>'creeping disease, precision, university, consultant,
>>articulate,
>>boiler plate',= ___________ Fill in the blank with
>>your favorite
>>adjective.
>>
>>All y'all need to go flying. Geeeesh!!!
>>

> I believe the correct workd is you'uns. ;-)
>
> I'd sure love to go flying; maybe in another month.

Surely is "all'YAll"

BGMIFF
February 3rd 05, 08:05 PM
Whatever happened to praising all the good things that the magazine has to
offer. I have been in many jobs, that no one wants where the people are
doing a lot of good. No one ever bothers to say "nice job" but let something
not please them once, you will be the first one they call. No wonder we
can't find good people for these jobs anymore. We all need to think of how
we would feel if this kind of behavior is aimed at us!!!!!!

BG

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mark Zivley wrote:
> > Not to beat them up too much, but the picture on the cover was in a
> > Soaring calendar a few years back. How about some new stuff?
> >
> > Ray Lovinggood wrote:
> > > I just received my Feb 2005 issue of 'SOARING' today
> > > and noticed a new word I'll have to add to my vocabulary.
> > >
> > > It can be found on page 22, in the caption next to
> > > the photo of the 2-33. The caption reads,
> > >
> > > 'The author's buyfriend at moment of touchdown.'
> > >
> > > How right that word can be, for either a 'boyfriend'
> > > or a husband.
> > >
> > > I also noticed the M&H ad seems a bit dated. But then
> > > again, Ground Hog day is tomorrow, so maybe it is appropriate.
> > >
> > > Ray Lovinggood
> > > Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
> > > Buyfriend for my wife
> > >

> > >Comment:
> As a group, you guys are a bunch of snots!
> I pretty can't take the "Let's take our shots this week" mentality.
> It is true that there are some errors in Soaring magazine- occasionally
> even a couple real clangers, by by and large, I think it is greatly
> improved and enjoy it.
> I suspect you have no idea how hurtful some of these comments are. If
> you do, more the shame.
> An important employee of SSA resigned this week, in part because of
> this kind of nastiness and the abuse received over the phone from some
> members.
> I'd be interested in how many of you do jobs that are reviewed by 12000
> critics.
> UH

Klein
February 5th 05, 12:45 AM
On 3 Feb 2005 16:39:19 GMT, Nyal Williams
> wrote:

>>> Tell my fifth grade English teacher it isn't important.
>>> Scariest woman
>>> I ever knew.
>>
>>Mrs Hall went to visit an author friend in the hospital.
>>He was
>>complaining about a miss-spelled word in a magazine
>>article he wrote.
>>Mrs Hall said 'what's the big deal?. The author replied
>>'mrs Hell, it
>>makes a hall of a difference'. Miss-spelled words in
>>a magazine may not
>>be important, but it is sloppy, IMHO.
>>
>>Tony V.
>>

>Right!
>
>I appreciate the work that the staff at SSA does -
>very much.
>
>We have a creeping disease in our society that puts
>the bottom line ahead of every consideration of quality,
>and it affects every profession and every thing we
>do. The hurry up to reduce overhead forces neglect,
>carelessness, sloppy work. I have spent 30 years in
>my house finding and correcting shortcuts the builder
>took to save a few moments. His saving $2.50 has cost
>me $30.00 in many cases.
>
>Language is as important as arithmetic. If you wouldn't
>tolerate incorrect math, why dismiss sloppy language
>as unimportant. It reveals that the person either
>does not care for precision, or else is so rushed that
>he/she has no time to go back and clean up their work.
> We all make typos; how many go back and read through
>their posts before sending them out.
>
>I'm a curmudgeon; I judge people who use poor grammar
>and syntax as persons who can't or don't think critically;
>maybe they can, but are just slovenly. Shirtsleeve
>English doesn't work in print; it causes confusion.
>
>I worked in a university. I observed that foreign
>students coming to this country spoke with very precise,
>articulate English and put our local students to shame
>with their precision of thought and expression. They
>even ask for help in correcting their English, and
>they have thanked me when I pointed out errors, and
>begged for more comments. It is as easy to learn it
>correctly as it is to learn it incorrectly. We stopped
>teaching grammar back in the 60s in favor of getting
>students to 'express themselves.' We are paying for
>that now.
>
>I served as a consultant to a legal firm in evaluating
>a collection of intellectual property in a divorce
>settlement. The correspondence from the young lawyer
>got all the 'boiler plate' down pat, but it was painful
>trying to sort out his meaning in the text surrounding
>it. We required two or three letters to sort out what
>he really wanted precisely from me. Spell checkers
>create as much confusion as they solve.
>
>I'm off my soapbox, and I promise not to get back up
>on it again; I do appreciate the editors and writers
>at SSA and I do not attack them. They need more help.

Here is a tip: when posting about someone's bad grammar or spelling,
keep it short. That way there is a smaller chance that you will make
mistakes yourself. <G> Unfortunately, your post is too long and
contains a few errors (at least 3). So - have your corrected post on
my desk first thing in the morning.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged." Matthew 7:1

Klein's 3rd law: "Any posting correcting the spelling or grammer of another
will inevitably contain errors of it's own."

Google