PDA

View Full Version : Navman PiN Pocket PC for glider usage

February 7th 05, 09:27 PM
This is my initial evaluation of the Navman PiN for use in
a glider as an integrated flight computer system. The reason
for this evaluation is my desire to find a self contained flight
computer for the SparrowHawk I have on order. By self contained
I mean with an internal battery suitable for several hours use
and complete with GPS. There are no other bits and pieces to
complete the system. Both Glide Navigator 11 and SeeYou Moble
function correctly and I think I have a working system.
The Navman PiN looks like and functions similar to a regular IPAQ
3950 which I am currently using in the DG800B. There is a full
function computer (MSN operating system) and a color display
very slightly smaller than the IPAQ 3950. A small flip up antenna
is used for the GPS. The GPS is on Comm 2, and 4700bps. The
object of the Navman PiN is to supply a mobile color navigation
system for automobile use with a full personal PC function. This
it does well. The street price (Ebay etc.) for the Navman is less
than $400 including shipping and no tax and it comes with a
32 Mbytes flash card suitable for GN 11 and nearby US street maps
but insufficient for the full US maps etc.
I have both GN 11 and mSeeYou operating correctly and todate
have used these programs in a vehicle in hilly Nevada to test out
the system. Both work correctly and I am able to generate IGC
files to load down into my desktop PC using activesync. The
road navigation program that comes with the Navman also works
well.
Bottom line is that the Navman offers a compact alternative to
the IPAQs and I intend to install this system in the SparrowHawk.
A couple of caveats for the pocket PC novice. I think the operating
system used on pocket PCs was designed primarily to frustrate
humans and secondly to provide a useable tool. There are
similarities and large differences between pocket PCs and desktop
PCs that are not INTUITIVE! As usual documentation is abysmal
and the novice user will suffer. Many programs such as the
navigation program cannot be turned off. They are always in the
background. So if the GPS function is ON for the navigation
program no other program can use the GPS. Fortunately with
4 clicks you can switch off the GPS function to the nav program
and the GPS is available for either GN 11 or mSeeYou. To do
the opposite requires only 3 additional clicks.
If any of you want to try this system and have startup problems
don't hesitate to email me. After many hours of frustration I think
I can now suggest fixes to most startup problems.
Dave

February 8th 05, 12:17 AM
....is there no equivalent to the iPaq "itask" button (#4 button) which
shows all running tasks and with a press and a tap ends them all at
once?

and no 'Exit' option anywhere from the Nav. program? That would seem to
be a poor design if true. Sometimes the devlish software engineers hide
the Exit udner Tools or FIle or ????

Bob

Google