PDA

View Full Version : Removing cherokee wings..

pho
February 16th 05, 04:02 AM
Hi,
Has anyone had experience with removing the wings on a Cherokee 140?
Need to move it to rebuild. How hard is it to re-install them. I heard
something about tapered pins or bolts.. Pete

COLIN LAMB
February 16th 05, 05:35 AM
I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
Putting them back on was much tougher.

---

Frank van der Hulst
February 16th 05, 07:23 AM
COLIN LAMB wrote:
> I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
> Putting them back on was much tougher.

Trees aren't needed... a good 9G pull-up will do it for you.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
February 16th 05, 09:09 AM
COLIN LAMB wrote:

> I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
> Putting them back on was much tougher.
>

> ---

I don't think he said anything about putting them back on. Maybe your
method would be best. Kinda hard on the trees, though.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
February 16th 05, 09:11 AM
Frank van der Hulst wrote:

> COLIN LAMB wrote:
>
>> I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
>> Putting them back on was much tougher.
>

> Trees aren't needed... a good 9G pull-up will do it for you.

The major draw back to that method is the fuselage tends to get a bit
dented on impact.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

satch
February 18th 05, 02:23 PM
Sounds like it's time for "Mr. Chainsaw"

Steve Foley
February 19th 05, 02:36 AM
I tried e-mailing you the appropriate pages from the service manual, but it
bounced.

Pick up a service manual for the Cherokee 140. Pages 4-4 to 4-14.

"pho" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Has anyone had experience with removing the wings on a Cherokee 140?
> Need to move it to rebuild. How hard is it to re-install them. I heard
> something about tapered pins or bolts.. Pete

Steve Foley
February 22nd 05, 08:16 PM
It's all in the service manual. Pick one up.

"pho" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Has anyone had experience with removing the wings on a Cherokee 140?
> Need to move it to rebuild. How hard is it to re-install them. I heard
> something about tapered pins or bolts.. Pete

pho
February 25th 05, 12:20 AM
I HAVE the service manual. My Question was has anyone here actually done
it??

Steve Foley wrote:
> It's all in the service manual. Pick one up.
>

> "pho" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>Has anyone had experience with removing the wings on a Cherokee 140?
>>Need to move it to rebuild. How hard is it to re-install them. I heard
>>something about tapered pins or bolts.. Pete

pho
February 26th 05, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info. So I guess you didn't have any major proplems
re-installing them. How about the gasket around the wing root? I have
heard its a bear to install... PEte

Jack Idler wrote:
> I took my wings of my 1974 140 to do a spar inspection a few years back.
> Not too difficult to do but it does require some extra hands. I built a
> fuselage cradle out of 2x4's, jacked the wings, and slipped the cradle under
> the cabin. I had access to a heavy tail stand. Undid everything (fuel
> lines, wires, etc.), undid the spar bolts and slipped the wings out and laid
> them on the grass. The airplane sat outside for a couple of weeks while I
> did some cleaning up and painting. I recall that I took the tanks out of
> the wings beforehand.
>
> Reinstall was a reverse of the removal--extra hands very important to assist
> in lining up the holes. As I recall, I used new spar bolts and nuts (the
> bolts are specials with close sizing). My AME (A&P) supervised everything,
> installed the bolts, and set the torques.
>
> "pho" > wrote in message
>
>>I HAVE the service manual. My Question was has anyone here actually done
>>it??
>>
>>Steve Foley wrote:
>>
>>>It's all in the service manual. Pick one up.

Google