PDA

View Full Version : Re: RESTRICTED CATEGORY TOWPLANES

Bob Korves
February 16th 05, 12:18 AM
Judy,
Help me to understand the FAA legalese here. We have Pawnees that are in
Restricted Category and say 'Glider towing' on the Airworthiness
Certificate. Does this change mean that we no longer need to consider going
to Normal Category to placate the FAA?
-Bob Korves

"Judy Ruprecht" > wrote in message
> Com Ops & Clubs, please note! This just in on the topic
> of tow planes certificated in Restricted Category -
> published in the Federal Register 14 February 2005:
>
> SUMMARY: This notice announces glider towing as a restricted
> category special purpose operation under Title 14 of
> the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) Sec. 21.25(B)(7),
> for aircraft type certificated under 14 CFR 21.25(a)(1).
>
> DATES: This policy is effective upon publication of
> this notice.
>
> FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
> Mr. Graham Long, AIR-110, Room 815,
> Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Certification
> Service,
> Aircraft Engineering Division, 800 Independence Avenue,
> SW.,
> Washington, DC 20591, telephone (202) 267-3715, FAX:
> (202) 237-5340, or
> e-mail: .
>
> SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The Federal Aviation Administration
> (FAA) published proposed policy to include the flight
> operation of glider towing as a restricted category
> special purpose under Title 14 of the Code of Federal
> Regulations (14 CFR) Sec. 21.25(b)(7). The comment
> period closed October 22, 2004. All comments received
> by the FAA were in favor of the policy. Accordingly,
> the Director of the Aircraft Certification Service
> specified, on behalf of the Administrator, that
> glider towing is a restricted category special purpose
> flight
> operation, limited to civil-derived restricted category
> aircraft
> certificated under 14 CFR 21.25(a)(1). This action
> is believed to
> increase the number of glider tow aircraft available
> to glider clubs throughout the country, by making available
> to them aircraft that are currently certificated for
> other uses, such as agricultural spraying.
>
> Dated: Issued in Washington, DC, on February 8,
> 2005.
> Susan J. M. Cabler, Acting Manager, Aircraft Engineering
> Division, Aircraft Certification Service.

BTIZ
February 16th 05, 05:54 AM
Bob.. not to speak for Judy.... but I believe you are correct

And if your Pawnee already said, "restricted and glider tow" why would you
have to change to "normal" (I think you mean "standard") ?.. I guess I
missed that part...

I always thought the issue was the people that were doing glider tow with
Restricted "agricultural" aircraft... or were trying to get "glider tow"
added to the Restricted certificate..

I think the other half of the issue would be, to get the Pawnee certified in
the "standard" area would be tough. As I do not believe, the Pawnee was ever
previously certified other than "Restricted" and the type data certificate
is no longer owned by an American company.

BT

"Bob Korves" <bkorves@winfirstDECIMALcom> wrote in message
> Judy,
> Help me to understand the FAA legalese here. We have Pawnees that are in
> Restricted Category and say 'Glider towing' on the Airworthiness
> Certificate. Does this change mean that we no longer need to consider
> going
> to Normal Category to placate the FAA?
> -Bob Korves
>
> "Judy Ruprecht" > wrote in message
>> Com Ops & Clubs, please note! This just in on the topic
>> of tow planes certificated in Restricted Category -
>> published in the Federal Register 14 February 2005:
>>
>> SUMMARY: This notice announces glider towing as a restricted
>> category special purpose operation under Title 14 of
>> the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) Sec. 21.25(B)(7),
>> for aircraft type certificated under 14 CFR 21.25(a)(1).
>>
>> DATES: This policy is effective upon publication of
>> this notice.
>>
>> FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
>> Mr. Graham Long, AIR-110, Room 815,
>> Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Certification
>> Service,
>> Aircraft Engineering Division, 800 Independence Avenue,
>> SW.,
>> Washington, DC 20591, telephone (202) 267-3715, FAX:
>> (202) 237-5340, or
>> e-mail: .
>>
>> SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The Federal Aviation Administration
>> (FAA) published proposed policy to include the flight
>> operation of glider towing as a restricted category
>> special purpose under Title 14 of the Code of Federal
>> Regulations (14 CFR) Sec. 21.25(b)(7). The comment
>> period closed October 22, 2004. All comments received
>> by the FAA were in favor of the policy. Accordingly,
>> the Director of the Aircraft Certification Service
>> specified, on behalf of the Administrator, that
>> glider towing is a restricted category special purpose
>> flight
>> operation, limited to civil-derived restricted category
>> aircraft
>> certificated under 14 CFR 21.25(a)(1). This action
>> is believed to
>> increase the number of glider tow aircraft available
>> to glider clubs throughout the country, by making available
>> to them aircraft that are currently certificated for
>> other uses, such as agricultural spraying.
>>
>> Dated: Issued in Washington, DC, on February 8,
>> 2005.
>> Susan J. M. Cabler, Acting Manager, Aircraft Engineering
>> Division, Aircraft Certification Service.

February 16th 05, 01:46 PM
Some Pawnees can be place in either "Standard" or "Restricted". One of
ours is that way.
Mike Nichols
Central Indiana Soaring

Bob Korves
February 16th 05, 01:57 PM
BTIZ, you are of course correct. It is "standard" category.

We have had an ongoing minor issue with the Reno FSDO who said that it did
not matter that the airworthiness certificate said "glider towing" -- that
was a mistake and should not have occurred. I never have clearly understood
why. We learned about this when we tried to do some banner towing for
advertising. Banner towing was also listed on the airworthiness
certificate. The FSDO said "no way" to the banner towing but said that they
would not take action against the glider towing, even though it was also not
correct. One of the Reno area operators changed their Pawnee to standard
category, at considerable cost and effort, because of the FSDO's stance.

Anyway, it is good that it is now explicitly allowed to tow gliders with
restricted category (if I correctly understand the change).
-Bob

Google