PDA

View Full Version : TE Probe O-ring came off

Wade G
June 29th 19, 05:31 AM
Looking for tips.
I pulled my ESA multiprobe out after flying today to discover the smaller O-ring did not come with it.
Any suggestions to fetching it. I can’t see it in there.
I have a replacement so would leaving the vanished ring in there cause any problem? A mild restrictor at the most?
Lastly, is there a better lube for the rings than oil from the side of my nose?
Wade

Darryl Ramm
June 29th 19, 07:51 PM
I am trying to recall a multi probe with o-ring on the probe. Mine all have the o-rings internal.

If it is not supposed to be there I assume you should get it out. Dental tool/o-ring pick and a bright light. Pulled all the o-rings out of these mounts that way before. ESA have o-ring kits for the mounts, one I used came with silicone lubricant. Or use suitable silicone o-ring lube. (Eg At annual I would clean any dust/grit in mounts out with lint free wipes, inspect carefully, and apply a tiny amount of lube to the o-rings/probe and work around. Keep covered (but not air tight) when not in use and do not use extra lube daily). I am not sure if the nose wiping ritual helps or hurts. All that salt getting inside the mount.

Darryl

Wade G
June 29th 19, 08:20 PM
I tried a hooked piece of safety wire to no avail.
Very slim chance the thing went flying when I pulled it out but being on black gritty pavement, no way to find it.
Wonder if sending some air through from the other end (with EVERYTHING disconnected from instruments) would be worth it.
And, unfortunately this discussion is starting to sound Freudian.
Wade

James Thomson[_2_]
June 29th 19, 08:54 PM
At 19:20 29 June 2019, Wade G wrote:
>I tried a hooked piece of safety wire to no avail.
>Very slim chance the thing went flying when I pulled it out but being on
>black gritty pavement, no way to find it.
>Wonder if sending some air through from the other end (with
EVERYTHING
>disconnected from instruments) would be worth it.
>And, unfortunately this discussion is starting to sound Freudian.
>Wade

There is some guidance on changing the adaptor o-rings (but not probe o-
rings) on the ESA website

https://www.esa-systems.com/en/support/instructions-answers/

plus the option of a contact form for advice

Charles Longley
July 3rd 19, 03:32 AM
Use DC4 to lube O-rings.
https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Electrical-Insulating-Compound/dp/B0195UWAHG/ref=asc_df_B0195UWAHG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198095726143&hvpos=1o9&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12535604700564555928&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1027744&hvtargid=pla-318872280169&psc=1

Google