PDA

View Full Version : Sikorsky S-38 pics [04/10] - interior of this last flying S-38 is like a Disney fairytale....jpg (1/1)

Miloch
December 17th 18, 03:38 PM
*

R2D2
December 18th 18, 07:05 PM
On 17 Dec 2018 07:38:52 -0800, Miloch >
wrote:

>*

I wonder if the seatbelts are original...

Miloch
December 18th 18, 07:19 PM
In article >, R2D2 says...

>On 17 Dec 2018 07:38:52 -0800, Miloch >
>wrote:

>>*
>
>I wonder if the seatbelts are original...

Interesting question...a search for first aviation seatbelts refers you to
Benjamin Foulois:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Foulois

" Over the next fifteen months, Foulois modified S.C. No. 1's elevators at the
instructions in correspondence from Orville Wright, and demonstrated the use of
the Wright B aircraft for aerial mapping, photography, reconnaissance and the
use of the radio while airborne. To end the requirement of using a 60-foot
launch rail to take off, he drew up plans for and installed wheels in place of
skids, and equipped the S.C. No. 1 with the first seat belt, using a four-foot
leather cinch obtained from the cavalry saddlery. As the result of repeated
crashes and repairs, many caused by Foulois being "ground shy" (the result of
his having no formal training in landing an airplane), S.C. No. 1 became
unflyable, and in February 1911 the Army leased a Wright Model B from Robert
Collier. Because Foulois was unfamiliar with the type, the Wright Company sent
Philip O. Parmalee to instruct.

....also, check this link:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/39537/when-did-airlines-start-using-seat-belts-for-passengers
for pics