PDA

View Full Version : New 7 part personal soaring movie in Utah

Bruno
February 23rd 05, 05:38 PM
I am amazed that more people don't film their flights and share them
with others. Yes, it leaves you open to criticism - I know my yaw
string isn't straight a lot of the time. If people had any idea what
we experience up there, we'd have quite a few more friends soaring with
us.

The links to the videos are on my homepage (I hope you have a fast
internet connection).
http://phoebus.vassel.com

Hope you all enjoy!
Bruno

February 23rd 05, 08:36 PM
You shouldn't be amazed ... there's enough to think and worry about
already when soaring; adding and operating a video camera to the mix is
probably too much to make it worthwhile for your average pilot.

Then there is the logistical problem of where to put the camera. Looks
like you had yours side-mounted on a skiing helmet like the skydiving
videographers do.

Videotaping a flight is something I'd love to be able to do, but
because of tape length/storage and power limitations, I would need to
turn the camera on and off periodically, to get 1 or 2 hours of footage
from a 3 to 6 hour flight. And I would want the camera mounted
somewhere besides my head for that duration (especially when it's time
to start using the O2)...

Bruno wrote:
> I am amazed that more people don't film their flights and share them
> with others. Yes, it leaves you open to criticism - I know my yaw
> string isn't straight a lot of the time. If people had any idea what
> we experience up there, we'd have quite a few more friends soaring
with
> us.
>
> The links to the videos are on my homepage (I hope you have a fast
> internet connection).
> http://phoebus.vassel.com
>
> Hope you all enjoy!
> Bruno

Bruno
February 23rd 05, 09:16 PM
> Then there is the logistical problem of where to put the camera.
Looks
> like you had yours side-mounted on a skiing helmet like the skydiving
> videographers do.

Thanks for the response. Actually I just held the camera with my left
hand and rested it on my right shoulder. It is more comfortable than
it sounds and helps to stabalize the video camera a little bit. When I
am not using the camera I just put it on my lap. Works ok.

I've already gotten a few flying tips from some people. Thanks! I can
use all I can get.

Bruno

Mark James Boyd
February 24th 05, 07:39 AM
There is an SSA Director who runs a commercial glider operation who
videotapes landings and coaches even experienced pilots using this
tape. This person says it works pretty good for the coaching,
especially since some of the pilots with 25+ years in the same
glider get enough lift they only launch maybe a dozen or so times a year
for the exceptional days, so they don't do a lot of landing practice.

I've taped landings, and have a treasured tape of a very elegant
ground loop, wings level the whole time, where the 180 set the
guy up for tow out in the opposite direction. I'd heard of this done
in Hawaii on purpose before, but even after watching the tape, I don't
think I could make it happen myself :)

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd

Mark James Boyd
February 24th 05, 07:41 AM
I've videotaped both from tripod on the ground and while riding in a
second seat, but never solo from inside the cockpit. Hmmm...
I don't think I'd try that.

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd

February 24th 05, 05:10 PM
With the Sierra Soaring Club's 1-35 we have a metal camera mount that
we have attached to the canopy rail with a couple of sheet metal
screws. That way the camera is hands free while we fly. The problem
is that it is mounted on the left side and I usually don't have as good
of view out of the camera as I saw on these videos. I really enjoyed
these videos. I was born in Provo and I graduated from BYU prior to
moving to California so it was neat to see video from a flight in this
area.

Alex

Waduino
February 24th 05, 07:25 PM
Thanks very much for sharing these. As a low hours pilot it is a treat to
watch a flight like this, especially since there are no mountains or ridges
where I fly.
Wad.
---

"Bruno" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am amazed that more people don't film their flights and share them
> with others. Yes, it leaves you open to criticism - I know my yaw
> string isn't straight a lot of the time. If people had any idea what
> we experience up there, we'd have quite a few more friends soaring with
> us.
>
> The links to the videos are on my homepage (I hope you have a fast
> internet connection).
> http://phoebus.vassel.com
>
> Hope you all enjoy!
> Bruno

Brian Glick
February 25th 05, 08:43 PM
One of the more amazing pieces of film recently made on gliding is called "A
fine week in soaring" If you have not seen it, you should!!!!

"Bruno" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am amazed that more people don't film their flights and share them
> with others. Yes, it leaves you open to criticism - I know my yaw
> string isn't straight a lot of the time. If people had any idea what
> we experience up there, we'd have quite a few more friends soaring with
> us.
>
> The links to the videos are on my homepage (I hope you have a fast
> internet connection).
> http://phoebus.vassel.com
>
> Hope you all enjoy!
> Bruno

Gary Boggs
February 25th 05, 10:42 PM
We are working on one for the Willamette Valley here in Oregon, USA.

We're going to call it "We're fine with weak soaring."

:^)

> One of the more amazing pieces of film recently made on gliding is called
> "A
> fine week of soaring" If you have not seen it, you should!!!!

Bruno
March 24th 05, 03:35 PM
Mark James Boyd wrote:
> I've videotaped both from tripod on the ground and while riding in a
> second seat, but never solo from inside the cockpit. Hmmm...
> I don't think I'd try that.

After thinking about the safety aspects of trying to ridge soar and
video at the same time, I think you are right about filming solo. I
built a camera mount just to the side and behind me so I don't have to
worry about it. Thanks for the thoughts.

Bruno

March 24th 05, 06:07 PM
I wish I had filmed it... hard to believe otherwise. I witnessed, with
several others, the final moments of a commercial ride at an east coast
gliderport. The commercial pilot turned very short base to final and
failed to level out completely before the right wingtip touch the
ground. The glider rotated 180 degrees in the air, the landed (pretty
smoothly) backwards. It tracked straight for several wingspans, then
touched a wingtip and ground looped 180, once again facing its
direction of travel. The passenger got out and exclaimed it was the
coolest flight he'd ever taken.

March 24th 05, 06:11 PM
Bruno,

There's some nice footage in there. Next step, some editing. Maybe a
collage of different types of soaring... thermal, wave, ridge...
terrain... mountain, valley, plateau, cliff face... and weather....
fair weather cu, front, thunderstorm. You could start with the best of
what you have, and add over time. Add some music and narration, and
you've got a nice advert for the sport.

Gunnar
March 25th 05, 05:01 PM
Hi Bruno,

Very Nice! I like your website, keep up the good work!
What camera are you using?

Good and Safe Soaring,

Gunnar

Bruno
March 25th 05, 10:28 PM
I am using a Cannon ZR90 with a Cokin 0.5x Wide-Angle Lens. I am
pretty happy with this setup but would love to have the quality that "A
fine week of soaring" has. What a great film! If I had spent 5x + the
amount on my gear I'd probably get close. One more week and tows start
again out here in Salt Lake City....finally!

Bruno
March 25th 05, 10:31 PM
Great idea. I have about 7 hours of footage from last year's flights.
There is about all those types of flying in there, I just wish that
video editing didn't take soooooo long!

Bruno

Justin Craig
March 26th 05, 02:25 PM
If you want to see a great gliding video, order via
the website the 2004 smoking video. It was made in
the Uk. Great to watch for glider pilots and also a
great video to promote the sport.

Justin

Standard Cirrus WL
566

March 30th 05, 02:29 PM
I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially those which do
“not” add music.
Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download from Internet
(not many because my modem isn’t that fast), only 2 have really
natural sound.
If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new movies, I would say
“Please, don’t add music. Let us enjoy the same real sound of air and
wind that you loved when you were up there”.
In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the glider is one of
the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
I didn’t try to download your videos yet. I shall try this nights.
Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
Happy thermals!

Roberto Ciuffoletti

On 23 Feb 2005 09:38:57 -0800, "Bruno" > wrote:

>I am amazed that more people don't film their flights and share them
>with others. Yes, it leaves you open to criticism - I know my yaw
>string isn't straight a lot of the time. If people had any idea what
>we experience up there, we'd have quite a few more friends soaring with
>us.
>
>The links to the videos are on my homepage (I hope you have a fast
>internet connection).
>http://phoebus.vassel.com
>
>Hope you all enjoy!
>Bruno

Nyal Williams
March 30th 05, 06:13 PM
At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:

>I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially
>those which do
>“not” add music.
>Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download
>from Internet
>(not many because my modem isn’t that fast), only 2
>have really
>natural sound.
>If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new
>movies, I would say
>“Please, don’t add music. Let us enjoy the same real
>sound of air and
>wind that you loved when you were up there”.
>In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the
>glider is one of
>the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
>I didn’t try to download your videos yet. I shall try
>this nights.
>Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
>Happy thermals!
>
>Roberto Ciuffoletti

I agree so strongly that I will hardly look at one
anymore. I have 50years in the classical music field;
I cannot endure the current popular music, that travels
under the useless term 'Rock Music.' My own tastes
dictate that the Debussy String Quartet would best
fit soaring movies and that 'Rock' would best fit NASCAR
races, but I know from experience that not many outside
my field would agree with me.

Leave it out unless you can compose music to fit precisely
the actual movement, just like a film music composer.

[These comments directed at no one in particular}

Bruce
March 30th 05, 08:01 PM
Nyal Williams wrote:
> At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:
>
>>I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially
>>those which do
>>“not” add music.
>>Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download
>
>>from Internet
>
>>(not many because my modem isn’t that fast), only 2
>>have really
>>natural sound.
>>If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new
>>movies, I would say
>>“Please, don’t add music. Let us enjoy the same real
>>sound of air and
>>wind that you loved when you were up there”.
>>In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the
>>glider is one of
>>the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
>>I didn’t try to download your videos yet. I shall try
>>this nights.
>>Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
>>Happy thermals!
>>
>>Roberto Ciuffoletti
>

> I agree so strongly that I will hardly look at one
> anymore. I have 50years in the classical music field;
> I cannot endure the current popular music, that travels
> under the useless term 'Rock Music.' My own tastes
> dictate that the Debussy String Quartet would best
> fit soaring movies and that 'Rock' would best fit NASCAR
> races, but I know from experience that not many outside
> my field would agree with me.
>
> Leave it out unless you can compose music to fit precisely
> the actual movement, just like a film music composer.
>
> [These comments directed at no one in particular}

Hey Nyal

Personal vote would go the way of Handel or Purcel or Telleman but there's space
for all of us.

My tastes are eclectic, but I have to say there appears to be relatively little
musical merit in much of the currently popular auditory drivel.

One bright spot - Enio Morricone and John Williams (probably others too-but
these two stand out) are introducing a new generation to some music that is not
composed by someone who died before your parents were born - that has musical
merit.

Malcolm Austin
March 30th 05, 10:18 PM
Hi Nyal,
I would personally add Enya to the list of music makes who
fit in well with
soaring flight. Others I note mention John Williams & Morricone and I
cannot disagreee
with this.

My only preference is that if back ground music is used, enough of the main
audio remains
to understand what the pilot is going through.

Am I the only one who gets a thrill when I hear the audio vario chirping
away in the "up" mode,
I wonder?

Malcolm...

"Nyal Williams" > wrote in message
> At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:
>>
>>I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially
>>those which do
>>"not" add music.
>>Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download
>>from Internet
>>(not many because my modem isn't that fast), only 2
>>have really
>>natural sound.
>>If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new
>>movies, I would say
>>"Please, don't add music. Let us enjoy the same real
>>sound of air and
>>wind that you loved when you were up there".
>>In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the
>>glider is one of
>>the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
>>I didn't try to download your videos yet. I shall try
>>this nights.
>>Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
>>Happy thermals!
>>
>>Roberto Ciuffoletti
>

> I agree so strongly that I will hardly look at one
> anymore. I have 50years in the classical music field;
> I cannot endure the current popular music, that travels
> under the useless term 'Rock Music.' My own tastes
> dictate that the Debussy String Quartet would best
> fit soaring movies and that 'Rock' would best fit NASCAR
> races, but I know from experience that not many outside
> my field would agree with me.
>
> Leave it out unless you can compose music to fit precisely
> the actual movement, just like a film music composer.
>
> [These comments directed at no one in particular}

Shawn
March 30th 05, 11:34 PM
Malcolm Austin wrote:
> "Nyal Williams" > wrote in message
>
>>At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:
>>
>>>I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially
>>>those which do
>>>"not" add music.
>>>Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download
>>
>>>from Internet
>>
>>>(not many because my modem isn't that fast), only 2
>>>have really
>>>natural sound.
>>>If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new
>>>movies, I would say
>>>"Please, don't add music. Let us enjoy the same real
>>>sound of air and
>>>wind that you loved when you were up there".
>>>In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the
>>>glider is one of
>>>the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
>>>I didn't try to download your videos yet. I shall try
>>>this nights.
>>>Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
>>>Happy thermals!
>>>
>>>Roberto Ciuffoletti
>>

>>I agree so strongly that I will hardly look at one
>>anymore. I have 50years in the classical music field;
>>I cannot endure the current popular music, that travels
>>under the useless term 'Rock Music.' My own tastes
>>dictate that the Debussy String Quartet would best
>>fit soaring movies and that 'Rock' would best fit NASCAR
>>races, but I know from experience that not many outside
>>my field would agree with me.
>>
>>Leave it out unless you can compose music to fit precisely
>>the actual movement, just like a film music composer.
>>
>>[These comments directed at no one in particular}

> Hi Nyal,
> I would personally add Enya to the list of music
makes who
> fit in well with
> soaring flight. Others I note mention John Williams & Morricone and I
> cannot disagreee
> with this.
>
> My only preference is that if back ground music is used, enough of
the main
> audio remains
> to understand what the pilot is going through.
>
> Am I the only one who gets a thrill when I hear the audio vario chirping
> away in the "up" mode,
> I wonder?

Maybe no music would be better after all...
:-)

Shawn

March 31st 05, 12:25 AM
I've thought for some time that it would be great if someone who is
good at video editing (not me) would offer to put together a soaring
DVD from footage donated by various pilots. (I have some I'd offer.)
The DVD could then be circulated and copied freely to help

a) encourage new people to enter the sport -- having a brief tutorial
on soaring would help here, like "how do you get home when the winds
stops?" "how dangerous is it?" etc.

b) keep glider pilots sane during their off season.

Any takers??

The reason for putting it on DVD and making it freely copyable, rather
than posting on the web, is the time delay for the downloader and the
cost for the provider. Last I looked web hosting services allowed about
1 GB per dollar per month of downloads before a surcharge set in. So a
5 GB DVD would cost the provider $5 per download! Not a great way to
get takers. But blank DVDs go for about a buck these days and the cost
would be borne by a large number of us, rather than just one person. I
can't figure out why (OK, let me change that to "I'm a bit unhappy
that") the SSA hasn't done something like this, as opposed to charging
fairly high prices for their soaring DVDs.

Martin

March 31st 05, 01:24 AM
Hi Bruno, Nyal and everbody
Wonderful!
I have just downloaded the movie n° 3 and I found exactly what I
hoped: full air noise, with vario and actual pilot voice.
A wonderful movie! I almost couldn’t breath, for this deep feeling of
beeing really there meeting dynamic slope air and manouvering to gain
height.
I shall download all. One of my very best findings.
Thankyou and happy thermals!

Roberto Ciuffoletti

M B
March 31st 05, 08:06 AM
Freebird. Definitely freebird.

At 21:30 30 March 2005, Malcolm Austin wrote:
>Hi Nyal,
> I would personally add Enya to the
>list of music makes who
>fit in well with
>soaring flight. Others I note mention John Williams
>& Morricone and I
>cannot disagreee
>with this.
>
>My only preference is that if back ground music is
>used, enough of the main
>audio remains
>to understand what the pilot is going through.
>
>Am I the only one who gets a thrill when I hear the
>audio vario chirping
>away in the 'up' mode,
>I wonder?
>

>Malcolm...
>

>'Nyal Williams' wrote in message
>> At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:
>>>
>>>I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially
>>>those which do
>>>'not' add music.
>>>Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download
>>>from Internet
>>>(not many because my modem isn't that fast), only 2
>>>have really
>>>natural sound.
>>>If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new
>>>movies, I would say
>>>'Please, don't add music. Let us enjoy the same real
>>>sound of air and
>>>wind that you loved when you were up there'.
>>>In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the
>>>glider is one of
>>>the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
>>>I didn't try to download your videos yet. I shall try
>>>this nights.
>>>Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
>>>Happy thermals!
>>>
>>>Roberto Ciuffoletti
>>

>> I agree so strongly that I will hardly look at one
>> anymore. I have 50years in the classical music field;
>> I cannot endure the current popular music, that travels
>> under the useless term 'Rock Music.' My own tastes
>> dictate that the Debussy String Quartet would best
>> fit soaring movies and that 'Rock' would best fit
>>NASCAR
>> races, but I know from experience that not many outside
>> my field would agree with me.
>>
>> Leave it out unless you can compose music to fit precisely
>> the actual movement, just like a film music composer.
>>
>> [These comments directed at no one in particular}

Mark J. Boyd

Nyal Williams
March 31st 05, 07:55 PM
At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:
>Nyal Williams wrote:
>> At 14:00 30 March 2005, wrote:
>>
>>>I like very much watching at soaring videos. Expecially
>>>those which do
>>>“not” add music.
>>>Unfortunately, between the 47 movies I could download
>>
>>>from Internet
>>
>>>(not many because my modem isn’t that fast), only 2
>>>have really
>>>natural sound.
>>>If I could suggest to a friend how to edit his new
>>>movies, I would say
>>>“Please, don’t add music. Let us enjoy the same real
>>>sound of air and
>>>wind that you loved when you were up there”.
>>>In my opinion, the natural sound of air around the
>>>glider is one of
>>>the most fascinating sounds in the universe.
>>>I didn’t try to download your videos yet. I shall try
>>>this nights.
>>>Thankyou for sharing your wonderful gliding experiences.
>>>Happy thermals!
>>>
>>>Roberto Ciuffoletti
>>

>> I agree so strongly that I will hardly look at one
>> anymore. I have 50years in the classical music field;
>> I cannot endure the current popular music, that travels
>> under the useless term 'Rock Music.' My own tastes
>> dictate that the Debussy String Quartet would best
>> fit soaring movies and that 'Rock' would best fit
>>NASCAR
>> races, but I know from experience that not many outside
>> my field would agree with me.
>>
>> Leave it out unless you can compose music to fit precisely
>> the actual movement, just like a film music composer.
>>
>> [These comments directed at no one in particular}
>>

>Hey Nyal
>
>Personal vote would go the way of Handel or Purcel
>or Telleman but there's space
>for all of us.
>
>My tastes are eclectic, but I have to say there appears
>to be relatively little
>musical merit in much of the currently popular auditory
>drivel.
>
>One bright spot - Enio Morricone and John Williams
>(probably others too-but
>these two stand out) are introducing a new generation
>to some music that is not
>composed by someone who died before your parents were
>born - that has musical
>merit.

I don't know Morricone, but John Williams doesn't stand
out as a giant in my book. I want a balance of intellectual
and emotional involvement. Something about half-way
between Schoenberg and Little Richard.

But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
the way of the other.

Bruce
March 31st 05, 09:42 PM
Nyal Williams wrote:
> At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:
>
>>Nyal Williams wrote:

SNIP>
> But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
> is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
> It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
> laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
> bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
> like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
> 38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
> It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
> the way of the other.

Indeed - The music has to sort of fit the action. Personally I prefer to listen
to my music when not flying gliders, and visa vrsa.

Mr Morricone composed the music for numerous films (mainly westerns like "The
Good the bad ad the ugly")but also the score for "The Mission" featuring a
rather beautiful piece called "Gabreil's Oboe"

Would go well with some parts of soaring. But better on the big screen...

You probably would recognise it - if not the composer.

Malcolm Austin
March 31st 05, 10:54 PM
Hi Bruce,
we are lucky here in the UK with one radio station (Classic
FM) who during the 1200 to 1400 stint have listeners requests. They not
only give the names (people ask for the Mission theme, not knowing the real
name) but later on you can pick it up on their web page.

My knowledge of classic music has come on greatly since they arrived on the
scene. The are also happy to play less "high brow" music so even more of the
film stuff makes it through. (can' beat Michael Kamen's theme to the Band
of Brothers for a sad bit)

They have a web presence and often get lunch time requests from our old
"colony" !!!

Cheers, Malcolm...

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> Nyal Williams wrote:
>> At 19:30 30 March 2005, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>>Nyal Williams wrote:
>>>
> SNIP>
>> But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
>> is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
>> It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
>> laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
>> bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
>> like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
>> 38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
>> It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
>> the way of the other.
>>

> Indeed - The music has to sort of fit the action. Personally I prefer to
> listen to my music when not flying gliders, and visa vrsa.
>
> Mr Morricone composed the music for numerous films (mainly westerns like
> "The Good the bad ad the ugly")but also the score for "The Mission"
> featuring a rather beautiful piece called "Gabreil's Oboe"
>
> Would go well with some parts of soaring. But better on the big screen...
>
> You probably would recognise it - if not the composer.

March 31st 05, 11:19 PM
Having skied the Wasatch range may times, I can appreciate the
scenery. I always wondered what it would look like from a glider. Now I
know, sort of. Awesome video. Were these exceptional conditions or more
routine? Between the snow and that kind of soaring its enough to make
one seriously think about re-locating.

Mike F

Ronald
April 1st 05, 02:53 PM
More video's may be found at:

http://www.alpenstreckenflug.de/texte/english/glidingvideos.htm

http://www.wavecamp.no

http://irene.vanderzwan.org is currently looking for a host for the video's
-wavecamp 2003
-heroes
-elevator
-longmynd bungee camp
-dutch nationals and
-dune-running

Ronald

Bruce
April 1st 05, 04:20 PM
Malcolm Austin wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
> we are lucky here in the UK with one radio station (Classic
> FM) who during the 1200 to 1400 stint have listeners requests. They not
> only give the names (people ask for the Mission theme, not knowing the real
> name) but later on you can pick it up on their web page.
>
> My knowledge of classic music has come on greatly since they arrived on the
> scene. The are also happy to play less "high brow" music so even more of the
> film stuff makes it through. (can' beat Michael Kamen's theme to the Band
> of Brothers for a sad bit)
>
> They have a web presence and often get lunch time requests from our old
> "colony" !!!
>
> Cheers, Malcolm...
>
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>
>>Nyal Williams wrote:

>>SNIP>
>>
>>>But the main thing about these videos with music underlay
>>>is that the music doesn't fit - regardless of style.
>>> It ought to be like a ballet or movie music. Just
>>>laying down a piece of music under a video is a little
>>>bit like putting pickles in icecream just because you
>>>like both, or like putting a 42 long jacket on a short
>>>38size man. Doesn't fit and doesn't support the video.
>>> It is multi-tasking at best; at worst, one gets in
>>>the way of the other.
>>>

>>Indeed - The music has to sort of fit the action. Personally I prefer to
>>listen to my music when not flying gliders, and visa vrsa.
>>
>>Mr Morricone composed the music for numerous films (mainly westerns like
>>"The Good the bad ad the ugly")but also the score for "The Mission"
>>featuring a rather beautiful piece called "Gabreil's Oboe"
>>
>>Would go well with some parts of soaring. But better on the big screen...
>>
>> You probably would recognise it - if not the composer.

Hi Malcolm

Classic FM gets requests from the "old colony" because they are based in
Johannesburg - Braamfontein on the corner of Jan Smuts and Jorissen streets.

Great improvement in the selection of stations to listen to since they came
along. One of our members used to do an investment talk show which has now moved
to other stations because of ownership changes at Classic FM. On one notable
occasion we had to remind him that he was supposed to be on air 100km away and
5,000" lower in half an hour.... The interview was conduced over a mobile phone
in the end.

Cheers
Bruce

Nyal Williams
April 1st 05, 05:25 PM
I am quite surprised at the number of comments this
sort of 'off topic' subject has generated.

So,

I challenge all who are the least bit interested in
the subject to buy, borrow, or however else, get a
recording of the Claude Debussy string quartet (he
wrote just one) and listen to all four movements.
(You don't have to hear all 4 in one sitting.)

If you believe that not one of the movements captures
the mood of soaring tell me so, either in this forum
or at my personal email address.

At 15:30 01 April 2005, Bruce wrote:
>Malcolm Austin wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,
>> we are lucky here in the UK with one
>>radio station (Classic
>> FM) who during the 1200 to 1400 stint have listeners
>>requests. They not
>> only give the names (people ask for the Mission theme,
>>not knowing the real
>> name) but later on you can pick it up on their web
>>page.
>>
>> My knowledge of classic music has come on greatly
>>since they arrived on the
>> scene. The are also happy to play less 'high brow'
>>music so even more of the
>> film stuff makes it through. (can' beat Michael Kamen's
>>theme to the Band
>> of Brothers for a sad bit)
>>
>> They have a web presence and often get lunch time
>>requests from our old
>> 'colony' !!!
>>
>> Cheers, Malcolm...
>>
>> 'Bruce' wrote in message

>>>SNIP>

>>>Indeed - The music has to sort of fit the action. Personally
>>>I prefer to
>>>listen to my music when not flying gliders, and visa
>>>vrsa.
>>>
>>>Mr Morricone composed the music for numerous films
>>>(mainly westerns like
>>>'The Good the bad ad the ugly')but also the score for
>>>'The Mission'
>>>featuring a rather beautiful piece called 'Gabreil's
>>>Oboe'
>>>
>>>Would go well with some parts of soaring. But better
>>>on the big screen...
>>>
>>> You probably would recognise it - if not the composer.
>>>

>Hi Malcolm
>
>Classic FM gets requests from the 'old colony' because
>they are based in
>Johannesburg - Braamfontein on the corner of Jan Smuts
>and Jorissen streets.
>
>Great improvement in the selection of stations to listen
>to since they came
>along. One of our members used to do an investment
>talk show which has now moved
>to other stations because of ownership changes at Classic
>FM. On one notable
>occasion we had to remind him that he was supposed
>to be on air 100km away and
>5,000' lower in half an hour.... The interview was
>conduced over a mobile phone
>in the end.
>
>Cheers
>Bruce

Bruno
April 4th 05, 04:01 PM
Hi Mike,
Actually this was a pretty blah day for soaring in Utah. The winds
aloft were 20+ knots from the west and blew all but the strongest
thermals apart. It did make for good ridge soaring as you can see in
part 3 of the movie. You can hear on the video other pilots talking
about trying to get away from the airport and they kept getting shot
down. I was lucky because I took the risk of there being ridge lift
over Mount Timpanogus and went for it. Had the ridge lift not been
working, I would have had to land at another airport. This was really
just a local flight from Cedar Valley airport (home). I never got
further than 40 miles away from home. Even a fairly bad soaring day in
Utah is still pretty spectacular! Please consider coming out here in
the Summer to try some soaring yourself. You will not be disappointed.

Bruno

Google