PDA

View Full Version : 14 y/o Female Solo Yesterday

Brian Iten
February 28th 05, 07:26 PM
Thought I would put a not on the site to say congratulations
to Christa Keizer for making her first solo flight
yesterday in an AS-K21 out at Caracole Soaring in California
City. There were several friends along with her proud
father, Alan, attending. She made a 30 minute flight
and a perfect two point landing.
We are all very proud of her in this accomplishment.
Hopefully she will continue her flying and get her
private ticket.
Brian Iten

Pranus
February 28th 05, 07:58 PM

I'm all in favor of congratulating new pilots. Especially those who
solo at a young age.

But publishing the name of a minor and where they hang out on the
internet is not a good idea. Would you want the name of your child on
the internet? A few years ago someone posted the name, address,
telephone number, wifes name and childs name, of the person hosting an
awards banquet here on usenet. This is an open forum that can be read
by anyone not just sailplane pilots.

I would encourage you to edit your posting, deleting the last name as a
minimum, and repost it (Google used to have this feature). They'll
still know who you're talking about.

Congrats to the new pilot!

B* I* wrote:
> Thought I would put a not on the site to say congratulations
> to C**** K***** for making her first solo flight
> yesterday in an AS-K21 out at Caracole Soaring in California
> City. There were several friends along with her proud
> father, A***, attending. She made a 30 minute flight
> and a perfect two point landing.
> We are all very proud of her in this accomplishment.
> Hopefully she will continue her flying and get her
> private ticket.
> B* I*

bumper
March 1st 05, 12:37 AM
"Pranus" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I'm all in favor of congratulating new pilots. Especially those who
> solo at a young age.

I would have not problem posting the name and soaring location of my
granddaughter upon her solo. I'd be so proud I'd want the world to know.
Unfortunately all I have is a bunch of grandsons (g).

I think we may be getting a bit too cautious here. Her home address and
phone number were not posted. If some sickie wants to go after a young girl,
I think it likely he won't start on ras.

bumper (ex cop)

Andreas Maurer
March 1st 05, 02:15 AM
On 28 Feb 2005 11:58:15 -0800, "Pranus" > wrote:

>But publishing the name of a minor and where they hang out on the
>internet is not a good idea.

Simple question: What are you afraid of?

Bye
Andreas

Ian Johnston
March 1st 05, 07:25 AM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:58:15 UTC, "Pranus" >
wrote:

: But publishing the name of a minor and where they hang out on the
: internet is not a good idea. Would you want the name of your child on
: the internet?

Why not? Suppose I make up a name: "Miranda Wilson", say, or
"Frederick Kuiper". Are all the parents of real Miranda Wilsons and
real Frederick Kuipers suddenly going to feel unsafe? Are there evil
people at this very moment naming wax dolls Miranda Wilson or
Frederick Kuiper prior to sticking pins in 'em?

Ian
--

Vaughn
March 1st 05, 11:15 AM
"bumper" > wrote in message ...

> I think we may be getting a bit too cautious here. Her home address and phone
> number were not posted.

For that matter, our theoretical sicko could pick up most any SOARING
magazine in the library and get not only names, but actual pictures of real
kids! It is still normal to show pictures and name names of minor children in
the mass meda. I would not worry about an obscure, knerdy, newsgroup like ras.

> If some sickie wants to go after a young girl, I think it likely he won't
> start on ras.

I agree. This is a place where (for the most part) real people use their
real names. With no problems that I have ever heard of.

Vaughn

> bumper (ex cop)

Vaughn
March 1st 05, 11:25 AM
Congratulations to that young pilot. Does she realize what a select group
she is in? I can only guess at the statistics, but it is probably somewhere
between 1 in 100,000 and 1 in a million 14 year-olds who have actually soloed an
aircraft.

Someday I might be riding in the back of a big Boeing and she might be
occupying the left seat way up in the nose. If so, I would rest a little easier
knowing that she learned early and learned well.

Vaughn

F.L. Whiteley
March 1st 05, 06:25 PM
"Vaughn" > wrote in message
> Congratulations to that young pilot. Does she realize what a select
group
> she is in? I can only guess at the statistics, but it is probably
somewhere
> between 1 in 100,000 and 1 in a million 14 year-olds who have actually
soloed an
> aircraft.
>
> Someday I might be riding in the back of a big Boeing and she might be
> occupying the left seat way up in the nose. If so, I would rest a little
easier
> knowing that she learned early and learned well.
>
> Vaughn

This will be our homepage for the next few days.

http://www.soarcsa.org

Another 14 year old pilot.

Pranus
March 1st 05, 08:46 PM

Bumper,
There are really two issues here.

First, I think it is impolite to publish anyone's information in a
public forum without their permission. The original poster may have
had that permission but I doubt it.

Second, You're wrong when you say that person's home address wasn't
listed. Without out right telling you how you could get it let me say
that in this forum a first and last name coupled with metropolitan area
is as good as an address.

Obviously most of the group here feels differently and that's fine.
Reasonable people can and do disagree.

Fly safe

bumper wrote:
> "Pranus" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > I'm all in favor of congratulating new pilots. Especially those
who
> > solo at a young age.
>

> I would have not problem posting the name and soaring location of my
> granddaughter upon her solo. I'd be so proud I'd want the world to
know.
> Unfortunately all I have is a bunch of grandsons (g).
>
> I think we may be getting a bit too cautious here. Her home address
and
> phone number were not posted. If some sickie wants to go after a
young girl,
> I think it likely he won't start on ras.
>
> bumper (ex cop)

Google