PDA

View Full Version : sustaining (turbo) gliders

Pilot626
February 28th 05, 09:11 PM
When a glider uses sustaining engine instead of selflanching, does it
mean that I would not gain any attitude if I started the engine during
a flight?

5Z
February 28th 05, 10:17 PM
It means the engine does not provide enough thrust to get the glider
from 0 to a couple hunderd feet AGL. It may be possible to launch
given a low enough airport elevation and a long enough runway, but it
may not be safe.

-Tom

Mal.com
March 1st 05, 12:58 AM
1 knot to 2 knots maximum lift ASW 28 18 E

http://www.mals.net see links

"5Z" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> It means the engine does not provide enough thrust to get the glider
> from 0 to a couple hunderd feet AGL. It may be possible to launch
> given a low enough airport elevation and a long enough runway, but it
> may not be safe.
>
> -Tom

Bob Gibbons
March 1st 05, 02:14 AM
The Ventus turbo provides about 250 ft/min climb rate at 1000ft ASL,
decreasing with altitude up to perhaps 10000-12000ft ASL where zero
climb (pure sustaining) is possible.

Bob
Ventus cT

On 28 Feb 2005 13:11:03 -0800, "Pilot626" > wrote:

>When a glider uses sustaining engine instead of selflanching, does it
>mean that I would not gain any attitude if I started the engine during
>a flight?

bumper
March 1st 05, 03:30 AM
My ASH26E, a self-launch glider, has a 50 horse power Wankel engine. This
engine remains stationary in the fuselage and only the prop and radiator
come up into the airstream on the pylon. As a self-launch, it obviously has
enough power to get off the ground in a short distance and climb fairly
quickly, even in high and hot conditions. It also has an electric starter to
facilitate both ground and air starting.

Many "turbo" or sustainer ships don't trouble themselves with such add-ons
as electric start. Rather they raise the engine and use airflow to turn the
prop for starting. As mentioned in another post, engine power will be enough
for a slow climb, but not enough for self-launch under normal conditions.

all the best,

bumper

"Pilot626" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> When a glider uses sustaining engine instead of selflanching, does it
> mean that I would not gain any attitude if I started the engine during
> a flight?

Google