PDA

View Full Version : Accidents will happen

March 6th 05, 04:13 AM
Around summer 1989, a three-foot-long practice bomb was accidentally
dislodged from a Navy fighter je that was on a training mission. The
wayward ordnance, which was inert, came to rest in the backyard of
William Larsen's Middleburg, FL, home. The bomb gouged a foot-deep
crater in the earth, but, fortunately for the Navy, no one was injured
in the mishap.

Anyone have more info?
Mike

Jeroen Wenting
March 6th 05, 08:27 AM
a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
more than maybe 50 pounds.
Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
penetration mission.

"No Spam" > wrote in message
> a foot-deep CRATER??? An entire 12 inches??
>
> On 5 Mar 2005 20:13:17 -0800, "
> > wrote:
>
> >Around summer 1989, a three-foot-long practice bomb was accidentally
> >dislodged from a Navy fighter je that was on a training mission. The
> >wayward ordnance, which was inert, came to rest in the backyard of
> >William Larsen's Middleburg, FL, home. The bomb gouged a foot-deep
> >crater in the earth, but, fortunately for the Navy, no one was injured
> >in the mishap.
> >
> >Anyone have more info?
> >Mike

Dave in San Diego
March 6th 05, 08:45 AM
"Jeroen Wenting" > wrote in
:

> a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
> more than maybe 50 pounds.
> Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
> penetration mission.

A 50 pound mass travelling 100+ mph should make a hole deeper than just a
foot. A 14 pound bowling ball from the 6th story of a beachfront hotel went
deeper than that many moons ago.

Dave in San Diego

Dave Kearton
March 6th 05, 08:58 AM
"Dave in San Diego" > wrote in message

| "Jeroen Wenting" > wrote in
| :
|
|| a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would
|| weigh no more than maybe 50 pounds.
|| Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a
|| lowlevel penetration mission.
|
| A 50 pound mass travelling 100+ mph should make a hole deeper than
| just a foot. A 14 pound bowling ball from the 6th story of a
| beachfront hotel went deeper than that many moons ago.
|
| Dave in San Diego

A bowling ball dropped from a 6th storey building has a fairly vertical
component to its trajectory. Whereas, a practice bomb dropped at
low level would have a much higher horizontal vector.

I'm only guessing, if the plane was over a backyard, it was possibly on
finals or in the pattern at the very least. At a forward speed of 200
kt, the forward momentum would (possibly) make the bomb bounce out of the
hole at a 30 degree angle. The 'foot deep' crater could then also
be described as a 'foot deep' skidmark. It would help if we knew
how long the crater was ;-)

That's only an opinion, your mileage may vary.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Keith W
March 6th 05, 10:40 AM
"Jeroen Wenting" > wrote in message
>a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
> more than maybe 50 pounds.

Incorrect, a concrete block 3ft long and 6" square will weigh
over 100 lbs. If its 1ft square it'll weigh 400 pounds

> Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
> penetration mission.

But does from medium/high level !

The RAF used concrete filled laser guided bombs to take out
precision targets in Basra , it destroys the room but no the
rest of the building.

Keith

Noah Little
March 6th 05, 11:30 AM
Dave in San Diego wrote:
> A 50 pound mass travelling 100+ mph should make a hole deeper than just a
> foot. A 14 pound bowling ball from the 6th story of a beachfront hotel went
> deeper than that many moons ago.

But keep in mind the difference between sand and Florida clay.
Middleburg, by the way, is/was the home of Slim Whitman, and is just
north of where Bo Diddley hails from.
--
Noah

Orval Fairbairn
March 6th 05, 09:00 PM
In article >,
"Keith W" > wrote:

> "Jeroen Wenting" > wrote in message
> >a concrete block three feet long used as a bomb substitute would weigh no
> > more than maybe 50 pounds.
>
> Incorrect, a concrete block 3ft long and 6" square will weigh
> over 100 lbs. If its 1ft square it'll weigh 400 pounds
>
> > Doesn't make a deep crater when falling from an aircraft at a lowlevel
> > penetration mission.
> >

> But does from medium/high level !
>
> The RAF used concrete filled laser guided bombs to take out
> precision targets in Basra , it destroys the room but no the
> rest of the building.
>
> Keith

They are really great for tank plinking, too. When the bad guys put a
tank next to a hospital or school, the concrete bomb taked out the tank
without touching the building next to it.

RMN
March 7th 05, 02:21 AM
I think we're missing the point here guys. He asked for more info about the
incident and so
far nobody has provided any.

Rob van Riel
March 7th 05, 02:01 PM
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:40:19 +0000, Keith W wrote:

> The RAF used concrete filled laser guided bombs to take out
> precision targets in Basra , it destroys the room but no the
> rest of the building.

I'm sure it works brilliantly, but for some reason, I find the idea of
throwing laser guided stones at the enemy vastly amusing. Beautifull bit
of out-of-the-box thinking.

Rob

Google