PDA

View Full Version : Re: Thoughts on handheld Aviation radios (ICOM vs Vertex-Standard)

Barnyard BOb -
September 8th 04, 01:18 AM
>WallMart has Eveready NiMH 2300 cells, about 11 bucks for 4. I don't think
>that is expensive, for how many charges you can get out of them. And you
>are right, they kick alkaline's As* ! :-)

I bought an 8 pack from Wally World for appx $17 about 2 weeks ago.
FYI.... The previous versions offered last year were 2100 mAh.

>Some say they are not good batteries, but I have had great luck with them.
>One will go bad at random, once in a while, but the rest go on and on. As
>far as the self discharge goes, I have never scientifically charted them,
>but I have the feeling that they are not as bad as the 1% per day that some
>people claim.

I've never lost a single NiMH battery in 5 years of use.
Call it luck or just old fashion TLC. <g>

As to self discharge...
Ambient temp is a most important variable.
20 to 45% loss in 30 days is typical for NiMH cells according to
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/images/pdf/Panasonic_NiMH_Overview.pdf

Ta-ta....

Barnyard BOb -

Morgans
September 8th 04, 03:50 AM
"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote

> I bought an 8 pack from Wally World for appx $17 about 2 weeks ago.
> FYI.... The previous versions offered last year were 2100 mAh.

Brand, out of curiosity?

> I've never lost a single NiMH battery in 5 years of use.
> Call it luck or just old fashion TLC. <g>

I too rarely lost one, until I started using the 30 minute charger,
occasionally. But I know that isn't particularly good for them!<g>

> As to self discharge...
> Ambient temp is a most important variable.
> 20 to 45% loss in 30 days is typical for NiMH cells according to

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/images/pdf/Panasonic_NiMH_Overview.pdf

> Ta-ta....
>
> Barnyard BOb -

One of these days, I'm going to be really bored and do a discharge test at
room temp., and see what I can see. 'twill be in-ter-es-ting.
--
Jim in NC

---

Barnyard BOb -
September 8th 04, 12:18 PM
"Morgans" wrote:

>"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote
>
>> I bought an 8 pack from Wally World for appx $17 about 2 weeks ago.
>> FYI.... The previous versions offered last year were 2100 mAh.
>
>Brand, out of curiosity?

Same brand of Energizer.
They use to be 2100 mAh before morphing to 2300.

>> I've never lost a single NiMH battery in 5 years of use.
>> Call it luck or just old fashion TLC. <g>
>
>I too rarely lost one, until I started using the 30 minute charger,
>occasionally. But I know that isn't particularly good for them!<g>

30 MINUTES!!!!!! <g> ..... g = gawd

I've always exclusively used the popular [rapid?] charger...

Maha MH-C204F

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c204f.htm
http://www.burnabyradio.com/dhtml/maha/mhc204F.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamacc/0485.html

Barnyard BOb -

Barnyard BOb -
September 8th 04, 12:24 PM
>This brings up an important point:
>
>If the radio is to be your only one, then you want rechargable
>batteries. That was a major reason I bought the Yaseu (now Vertex).
>
>If for backup, then probably alkalines, though from my readings here I
>realize that my information may be terribly 20th century. That was one
>reason I sold the Sporty's: it ate batteries.
>
>all the best -- Dan Ford
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If anything eats batteries quicker than a Garmin 295
or a dead short, please show and tell. <g>

Barnyard BOb - from the Show Me State

Dan Youngquist
September 8th 04, 06:53 PM
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Barnyard BOb - wrote:

>> WallMart has Eveready NiMH 2300 cells, about 11 bucks for 4.
>
> I bought an 8 pack from Wally World for appx $17 about 2 weeks ago.

Last year I bought some Nexcell 2.2Ah AA's off Ebay for $.99 each (about
$1.15 with shipping). I expect higher capacity cells could be had for the
same price now.

> I've never lost a single NiMH battery in 5 years of use.

I haven't lost a cell for a few years, since I started using a good
microprocessor controlled charger. Cheap chargers will either undercharge
them or make them die young, and cheap fast chargers are even worse.

-Dan

Dan Youngquist
September 8th 04, 07:27 PM
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Barnyard BOb - wrote:

> > WallMart has Eveready NiMH 2300 cells, about 11 bucks for 4.
>
> I bought an 8 pack from Wally World for appx $17 about 2 weeks ago.

Last year I bought some Nexcell 2.2Ah AA's off Ebay for $.99 each (about
$1.15 with shipping). I expect higher capacity cells could be had for the
same price now.

> I've never lost a single NiMH battery in 5 years of use.

I haven't lost a cell for a few years, since I started using a good
microprocessor controlled charger. Cheap chargers will either undercharge
them or make them die young, and cheap fast chargers are even worse.

-Dan

Google