PDA

View Full Version : What is regulatory?

Bob Gardner
March 18th 05, 02:05 AM
Save the April edition of AOPA Flight Training for the next thread on
whether or not the AIM plays a part in pilot certificate actions.

Bob Gardner

March 18th 05, 02:53 PM
I quite agree. The problem is there are so many people in the FAA who
don't have a clue what is going on in the real world and have to have
something for their own guidance. Once in a while you will run into one
who has worked for a living and knows the problems and has had to deal
with them using common sense. Too bad they're getting harder to find.
Most are living by the book and many will use whatever tiny edge they
can to trip you up and make a violation stick. It has been my
experience when I have to deal with the FAA via a letter I'll run it
past my favorite aviation attorney before I respond. He happens to be
Glenn McGovern in New Orleans.
I'll never forget the Fed who looked in my turbine helicopter and asked
where the carb heat control was.......no joke!!!
Ol S&B

Larry Dighera
March 18th 05, 03:28 PM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:49:22 -0500, T o d d P a t t i s t
> wrote in
>::

> It's a written document setting out what the FAA considers to be "best
>practices" for aviation.

Is see the Aviation Information Manual as an attempt to summarize and
integrate the Federal Aviation Regulations and FAA Order 7110.65 and
others into a more readable document for pilots. It's clear that
Advisory Circulars are not regulatory instruments either, but they are
cited in FAA enforcement actions.

kage
March 18th 05, 04:00 PM
> I'll never forget the Fed who looked in my turbine helicopter and asked
> where the carb heat control was.......no joke!!!
> Ol S&B

Similarly,

I got a new FAA maintenance inspector for the King Air. He was going through
the logbooks and wanted to know why there was no annual inspection!....no
joke!.....he was right out of FAA school and it seemed that I had to train
him.

Karl

Larry Dighera
March 18th 05, 05:05 PM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:38:50 -0500, T o d d P a t t i s t
> wrote in
>::

>Larry Dighera > wrote:
>
>>I see the Aviation Information Manual as an attempt to summarize and
>>integrate the Federal Aviation Regulations and FAA Order 7110.65 and
>>others into a more readable document for pilots.
>
>I don't see the AIM that way at all. It strikes me as the
>place to look for the best way to do things that aren't
>specified in the regs, not as a place to look for things
>that are specified.

Can you cite a few "things" that are in the AIM that are not in the
FARs, ACs nor FAA Orders?

Rob
March 18th 05, 05:30 PM
>Larry Dighera > wrote:

>Can you cite a few "things" that are in the AIM that are not in the
>FARs, ACs nor FAA Orders?

"Proper" methods of entry into an airport traffic pattern, for example?

-R

Larry Dighera
March 18th 05, 09:48 PM
On 18 Mar 2005 09:30:59 -0800, "Rob" > wrote in
. com>::

>>Larry Dighera > wrote:
>
>>Can you cite a few "things" that are in the AIM that are not in the
>>FARs, ACs nor FAA Orders?
>

>"Proper" methods of entry into an airport traffic pattern, for example?

I believe you'll find that covered in AC 90-66A and AC 90-42F:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/74c9017c9457e4ab862569d800780551/$FILE/AC90-66A.pdf
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/1ab39b4ed563b08985256a35006d56af/c54e50252a7fa56d862569d8007804ba/$FILE/ac90-42F.pdf

More here:
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/

Blueskies
March 18th 05, 10:53 PM
"kage" > wrote in message ...

>> I'll never forget the Fed who looked in my turbine helicopter and asked
>> where the carb heat control was.......no joke!!!
>> Ol S&B
>>

> Similarly,
>
> I got a new FAA maintenance inspector for the King Air. He was going through the logbooks and wanted to know why there
> was no annual inspection!....no joke!.....he was right out of FAA school and it seemed that I had to train him.
>
> Karl

I hope you trained him right!

Dave Stadt
March 18th 05, 11:35 PM
"Blueskies" > wrote in message

> "kage" > wrote in message
> >
> >> I'll never forget the Fed who looked in my turbine helicopter and asked
> >> where the carb heat control was.......no joke!!!
> >> Ol S&B
> >>

> > Similarly,
> >
> > I got a new FAA maintenance inspector for the King Air. He was going
through the logbooks and wanted to know why there
> > was no annual inspection!....no joke!.....he was right out of FAA school
and it seemed that I had to train him.

> > Karl
> >

> I hope you trained him right!

Train an FAA employee....some things are just impossible.

Blueskies
March 19th 05, 01:00 PM
"Dave Stadt" > wrote in message . com...

>> > Similarly,
>> >
>> > I got a new FAA maintenance inspector for the King Air. He was going
> through the logbooks and wanted to know why there
>> > was no annual inspection!....no joke!.....he was right out of FAA school
> and it seemed that I had to train him.
>> >
>> > Karl
>> >

>> I hope you trained him right!
>

> Train an FAA employee....some things are just impossible.

But if he/she is really green, you just might have a chance...

Larry Dighera
March 19th 05, 03:43 PM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:09:12 -0500, T o d d P a t t i s t
> wrote in
>::

>"Rob" > wrote:
>
>>>Can you cite a few "things" that are in the AIM that are not in the
>>>FARs, ACs nor FAA Orders?
>
>>"Proper" methods of entry into an airport traffic pattern, for example?
>
>Or proper radio terminology.

It's true many ACs refer the pilot to the AIM for radio phraseology,
however many radio terminology examples occur throughout FAA Order
7110.65: http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/INDEX.HTM

Victor J. Osborne, Jr.
March 21st 05, 11:04 PM
I thinks its called a progressive inspection.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

VOsborne2 at charter dot net
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> I'm not in the turbine crowd, so educate me. Why no annual inspection?
> Is
> there a 100 hour requirement for the turbine stuff, like for commercial
> pistons?
> --
> Jim in NC

Google