PDA

View Full Version : RECORD-SETTING GLIDER

March 18th 05, 03:18 PM
Some years ago, the Museum of Flight at Santa Monica (CA) airport
exhibited the glider in which 2 Navy pilots had set a world record (at
the time) for non-stop endurance flight in Hawaii. The museum has
since been closed. Does any one know where the glider is now ?
Inquiring minds need to know, I met the son of one of those Navy
pilots. Thanks.

Cheers,

Charles

March 23rd 05, 05:14 AM
This brings back a vague recollection from many years ago that a record
setting vintage glider was in a hanger at Mojave Airport. Could be the
same glider. Also heard that the glider was actually owned by the LA
Museum of Natural History and was on loan to the Museum of Flight. But,
don't know if any of this is fact or current whereabouts of the
glider...

Good luck,
Steve

wrote:
> Some years ago, the Museum of Flight at Santa Monica (CA) airport
> exhibited the glider in which 2 Navy pilots had set a world record
(at
> the time) for non-stop endurance flight in Hawaii. The museum has
> since been closed. Does any one know where the glider is now ?
> Inquiring minds need to know, I met the son of one of those Navy
> pilots. Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles

March 23rd 05, 05:03 PM
I believe the glider you refer to is the "Nighthawk." It is currently
at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum. As a result of the efforts
of Vintage Sailplane Association Archivist Raul Blacksten, the LANHM
has offered the National Soaring Museum an opportunity to borrow the
Nighthawk. We hope to do so, and to display it in our main gallery.

Peter Smith, NSM Director

Google