PDA

View Full Version : Oldest/Largest Active Squadron

JJ McIntyre
March 18th 05, 10:53 PM
Anyone know which squadron is the oldest continuously commissioned squadron in the Navy and which is currently the largest?

JJ McIntyre
March 20th 05, 09:11 PM
Looks like VX-1 (if it's still around) commissioned 4/1/43 is the oldest squadron commissioned as currently designated, although there are VF/VFA/VA outfits that pre-date it back to WWI under various different designations. VF-41 commissioned as VF-41 9/1/50 may be the oldest tailhook unit if it's still in commission. HS-1 came on line 10/3/51 and the first two VQs in 1955....this from other NG sources. Anyone know which is currently the largest?

March 21st 05, 12:04 PM
One of the oldest must be VFA-14 Tophatters, who turned 80 several
years ago.

You could seek for the largest among Fleet Replacement Squadrons, for
example those operating F/A-18 (AFAIK up to 40 a/c each). I do not know
what are the PAA (Primary Aircraft Assigned) numbers for VT/HT training
squadrons.

Best regards,

Jacek

JJ McIntyre
March 23rd 05, 01:45 AM
ANA's Wings of Gold to the rescue...latest edition features VP-30 as "Navy's largest Squadron." Now we know.

Google