PDA

View Full Version : Bug Roach Accident Question

D. Scott Seders
March 19th 05, 06:23 AM
I have searched the net but have found very little. What are the details
surrounding his death?

Thanks,
Scott Seders

José Herculano
March 19th 05, 09:01 PM
>I have searched the net but have found very little. What are the details
>surrounding his death?

IIRC, the old Escapac seat on his A-4 did not work...
_____________
José Herculano

Phormer Phighter Phlyer
March 20th 05, 03:07 PM
D. Scott Seders wrote:
> I have searched the net but have found very little. What are the details
> surrounding his death?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Seders

Well as the on scene commander, and as the CO of VF-126 at the time..

Flying a routine over water flight in the A-4E. Had the engine start to
make noise, come apart. Wingy joined up and saw that the engine was
disintergrating. Bug said it was time to get out. Pulled the handle
level, at about 15,000 feet, lowish A/S. Rocket motor didn't burn
completely, he hit the tail, probably killed instantly.

Chute deployed, helicopters from the 'Enterprise(?), don't remember, CV
was west, going east, CO was Willie Williamson, picked him up. Charging
toward the scene. He was dead in the water.

Tests conducted on A-4E seat motors at a weapoms depot were conducted. 7
out of 10 didn't burn completely, I grounded all the 'E' models, much to
the chargrine of FitFud(Curt Schantz).

Peter Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret)

Phormer Phighter Phlyer
March 20th 05, 09:50 PM
D. Scott Seders wrote:
> I have searched the net but have found very little. What are the details
> surrounding his death?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Seders

I'll try again. I was on scene commander, when CO of VF-126. Engine
came unglued in a A-4E, P-8 engine. When he jumped out, straight and
level at 15k or so, about 200 kts, the explosive that is designed to get
him all the way out on initial ejection didn't burn all the way and he
hit the tail. Probably killed instantly.
One of Willie Williamson's helos, of the CV, which I can't remember,
picked him up. After testing of 10 of the seat charges stored for this
seat, 7 failed, I grounded all the 'E' models(different seat in all
other A-4 models). FitFud didn't like it but I did it anyway.

Phormer Phighter Phlyer
March 20th 05, 10:07 PM
D. Scott Seders wrote:
> I have searched the net but have found very little. What are the details
> surrounding his death?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Seders

test

John Miller
March 20th 05, 10:20 PM
Phormer Phighter Phlyer wrote:

> test

P.C. --

Your earlier two posts made it just fine. Can you see this?

--
John Miller
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)

D. Scott Seders
March 21st 05, 12:56 AM
Phormer Phighter Phlyer wrote in message

> Well as the on scene commander, and as the CO of VF-126 at the time..
>
> Flying a routine over water flight in the A-4E. Had the engine start to
> make noise, come apart. Wingy joined up and saw that the engine was
> disintergrating. Bug said it was time to get out. Pulled the handle level,
> at about 15,000 feet, lowish A/S. Rocket motor didn't burn completely, he
> hit the tail, probably killed instantly.
>
> Chute deployed, helicopters from the 'Enterprise(?), don't remember, CV
> was west, going east, CO was Willie Williamson, picked him up. Charging
> toward the scene. He was dead in the water.
>
> Tests conducted on A-4E seat motors at a weapoms depot were conducted. 7
> out of 10 didn't burn completely, I grounded all the 'E' models, much to
> the chargrine of FitFud(Curt Schantz).
>
> Peter Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret)

Thanks Pete, I appreciate your response.

Scott Seders

Phormer Phighter Phlyer
March 22nd 05, 02:10 PM
John Miller wrote:
> Phormer Phighter Phlyer wrote:
>
>>test
>

> P.C. --
>
> Your earlier two posts made it just fine. Can you see this?

They weren't there for me for about 4 days, other times they go up
instantly...sorry for the repost, post, post.

Cockpit Colin
March 22nd 05, 09:46 PM
> Tests conducted on A-4E seat motors at a weapoms depot were conducted. 7
> out of 10 didn't burn completely, I grounded all the 'E' models, much to
> the chargrine of FitFud(Curt Schantz).

Is there ever any "come back" on the manufacturer in situations like this? I
can appreciate that no ejections would "come with a guarantee" due to the
large number of variables involved - but you don't normally think of the
seat failing to fire properly as one of those variables.

PS: Good post - it's always great to be able to enjoy the benefit of
experiance instead of just opinion in matters like this.

CC

Google