PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a parachute, wing stand and a one-man rigger

Charles Dutch
February 4th 20, 08:25 PM
Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market. I'm looking for a;
1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
2) Wing stand
3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.

John Foster
February 4th 20, 09:58 PM
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
> Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market. I'm looking for a;
> 1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
> 2) Wing stand
> 3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.

For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra padding as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
February 4th 20, 10:06 PM
Knowing your location and ship helps......
1-shipping can be expensive at least due to size of box.
2-what works for a 1-26 may be ill suited for a big winger....

No, I have neither for sale.....

Charles Dutch
February 4th 20, 10:57 PM
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 4:06:45 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> Knowing your location and ship helps......
> 1-shipping can be expensive at least due to size of box.
> 2-what works for a 1-26 may be ill suited for a big winger....
>
> No, I have neither for sale.....

Location - North Alabama. I've got experience with the MM Fabrication Wing-rigger, and he has different saddles for the wing thicknesses. What works for a Grob 102 is likely too big for a LS-X, Ventus-X, etc.

Steve Bralla
February 5th 20, 01:14 AM
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 12:25:53 PM UTC-8, Charles Dutch wrote:
> Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market. I'm looking for a;
> 1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
> 2) Wing stand
> 3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.

You can glue felt (McMaster-Carr) into a thick wing cradle to fit the thin wing.

Frank Whiteley
February 5th 20, 06:03 AM
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 2:58:15 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
> > Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market.. I'm looking for a;
> > 1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
> > 2) Wing stand
> > 3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.
>
> For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra padding as well.
>
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

I've used these, even with LAK-12 wings. However, I perhaps over-tightened one of the elevation locking handles (LAK-12 wing is heavy after all) and the handle broke. Other than that, they are pretty stout, fold flat and are stable on flat ground. However, I prefer more positive locking systems in general for regular use and these when doing other things.

YMMV

Frank Whiteley

Martin Gregorie[_6_]
February 5th 20, 11:37 AM
On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 22:03:36 -0800, Frank Whiteley wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 2:58:15 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
>> > Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used
>> > market. I'm looking for a;
>> > 1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country
>> > are two that are at the top of the list)
>> > 2) Wing stand 3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.
>>
>> For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from
>> Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra
>> padding as well.
>>
>> https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-
AC9934/100618242

> I've used these, even with LAK-12 wings. However, I perhaps
> over-tightened one of the elevation locking handles (LAK-12 wing is
> heavy after all) and the handle broke. Other than that, they are pretty
> stout, fold flat and are stable on flat ground. However, I prefer more
> positive locking systems in general for regular use and these when doing
> other things.

It should be easy enough to drill a hole for a locking pin once you know
the best height setting. Is this a good idea, or would it weaken the
upright too much?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Cookie
February 5th 20, 03:20 PM
Yes, Home Depot....in the aviation department....glider wing stands...

I understand that some wood workers actually use these glider wing stands as an out-feed for a table saw...go figure...

Get a piece of Styrofoam insulation...2" think...attach to wing stand with double tape...carve to fit the curve of your wing....top off with Gym mat....rubber mat....

Cookie

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 4:58:15 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
> > Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market. I'm looking for a;
> > 1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
> > 2) Wing stand
> > 3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.
>
> For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra padding as well.
>
> https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Flip-Top-Portable-Work-Support-AC9934/100618242

Dan Marotta
February 5th 20, 04:44 PM
My LAK-17a required two height settings, low for pushing the wings home
and high for setting the pins.Â* I simply marked those settings with a
Sharpie.Â* I don't think drilling holes for safety pins would weaken the
uprights very much, but I would drill the holes for the set screws to
fit into.Â* Maybe even thread them.

I've helped rig a LAK-12 several times and, though heavy, the wing tips
aren't that bad.Â* The roots, on the other hand...

--
Dan, 5J

Frank Whiteley
February 6th 20, 06:28 AM
On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 9:44:53 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
> My LAK-17a required two height settings, low for pushing the wings home
> and high for setting the pins.Â* I simply marked those settings with a
> Sharpie.Â* I don't think drilling holes for safety pins would weaken the
> uprights very much, but I would drill the holes for the set screws to
> fit into.Â* Maybe even thread them.
>
> I've helped rig a LAK-12 several times and, though heavy, the wing tips
> aren't that bad.Â* The roots, on the other hand...
>
> On 2/5/2020 4:37 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> > AC9934/100618242
> >> I've used these, even with LAK-12 wings. However, I perhaps
> >> over-tightened one of the elevation locking handles (LAK-12 wing is
> >> heavy after all) and the handle broke. Other than that, they are pretty
> >> stout, fold flat and are stable on flat ground. However, I prefer more
> >> positive locking systems in general for regular use and these when doing
> >> other things.
> >>
> > It should be easy enough to drill a hole for a locking pin once you know
> > the best height setting. Is this a good idea, or would it weaken the
> > upright too much?
> >

> --
> Dan, 5J

230lbs/panel. Locking pin should be doable.

Frank

Martin Gregorie[_6_]
February 6th 20, 11:57 AM
On Wed, 05 Feb 2020 22:28:35 -0800, Frank Whiteley wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 9:44:53 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
>> I don't think drilling holes for safety pins would weaken the
>> uprights very much, but I would drill the holes for the set screws to
>> fit into.Â* Maybe even thread them.
>>

> 230lbs/panel. Locking pin should be doable.

I like Dan's idea - much less chance of losing the pin and the clamp
still works at other heights.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

February 6th 20, 04:01 PM
I have a rigger that will be suitable. Please email me for details.

Google