PDA

View Full Version : RHJ-8 Info?

Scott
March 20th 05, 02:13 PM
I'm very new to sailplanes and am interested in the RHJ-8. If I am to
even think of owning a glider, it must have 2 seats. It looks like the
RHJ-8 would be a pretty good fit. I assume that these are homebuilt
(experimental) and if so, can plans be found somewhere? Any websites
devoted to these ships?

Scott

Wayne Paul
March 20th 05, 03:30 PM
Scott,

They are indeed homebuilts. Information can be found on the "Schreder
Sailplane Designs" site (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder). Or go directly
to http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/RHJ_Links.html

Very few RHJs were built and I am sad to report that Don Matheson had a
fatal accident in C-FAJT (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/C-FAJT.html)
while flying in the mountains of British Columbia.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I'm very new to sailplanes and am interested in the RHJ-8. If I am to
> even think of owning a glider, it must have 2 seats. It looks like the
> RHJ-8 would be a pretty good fit. I assume that these are homebuilt
> (experimental) and if so, can plans be found somewhere? Any websites
> devoted to these ships?
>
> Scott

Scott
March 20th 05, 03:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Was it a problem with the design or
another form of accident? As a newly interested glider enthusiast, I'd
want to have a safe 2 seat design since I would be getting my rating in
it and my daughter would probably learn to fly in it also...Thanks for
any further information.

Scott (Bloomer, Wisconsin)
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Building RV-4
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Wayne Paul wrote:

> Scott,
>
> They are indeed homebuilts. Information can be found on the "Schreder
> Sailplane Designs" site (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder). Or go directly
> to http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/RHJ_Links.html
>
> Very few RHJs were built and I am sad to report that Don Matheson had a
> fatal accident in C-FAJT (http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/RHJ/C-FAJT.html)
> while flying in the mountains of British Columbia.
>
> Wayne
> http://www.soaridaho.com/
>

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>
>>I'm very new to sailplanes and am interested in the RHJ-8. If I am to
>>even think of owning a glider, it must have 2 seats. It looks like the
>>RHJ-8 would be a pretty good fit. I assume that these are homebuilt
>>(experimental) and if so, can plans be found somewhere? Any websites
>>devoted to these ships?
>>
>>Scott

March 20th 05, 05:57 PM
I'm the proud owner of one of the two RHJ-8s that remain.
I'll try answer your questions...

There were never any plans for the RHJ-8 (just some tables
of critical stations and dimensions). The 3 planes were
scratch-built by a group working together and partitioning
the work. Nobody's ever going to build another !

These gliders are not suitable for low-time glider-guiders.
While they are lots of fun to fly and have good performance
(approximately standard cirrus), the flaps and handling
require a bit of experience to manage with acceptable
safety margins.

John Firth's RHJ-8 was for sale a few months ago and
may still be available; search the newsgroup for details.

I last flew mine in the 1997 Sports Nationals in Minden and
the 1998 Sports Nationals in Mifflin. One of these days
I'll have time to finish the latest mods and get it back
in the air...

Hope that answers your questions !
Best Regards, Dave "YO"

Scott wrote:
> I'm very new to sailplanes and am interested in the RHJ-8. If I am
> even think of owning a glider, it must have 2 seats. It looks like
the
> RHJ-8 would be a pretty good fit. I assume that these are homebuilt
> (experimental) and if so, can plans be found somewhere? Any websites

> devoted to these ships?
>
> Scott

Wayne Paul
March 20th 05, 06:14 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm the proud owner of one of the two RHJ-8s that remain.
> I'll try answer your questions...

--- snip --

> John Firth's RHJ-8 was for sale a few months ago and
> may still be available; search the newsgroup for details.

To the best of my knowledge, John's is still for sale.
See: http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Trading_Post/The_Trading_Post.html

Respectfully,
Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Charles Yeates
March 20th 05, 08:40 PM
John Firth, Ottawa, ON, has his RHJ-8, C-FAJS for sale

--
Charles Yeates

Swidnik PW-6U & PW-5
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/yeatesc/world.html

Tony Burton
March 24th 05, 09:21 PM
No, the accident had nothing to do with the ship. He crashed on a
mountain at Invermere, BC. He survived the accident but S&R couldn't get
him off due to subsequent poor weather until the next day and exposure
finished him off. A sad tale.

In article >, Scott >
wrote:

> Sorry to hear about the accident. Was it a problem with the design or
> another form of accident? As a newly interested glider enthusiast, I'd
> want to have a safe 2 seat design since I would be getting my rating in
> it and my daughter would probably learn to fly in it also...Thanks for
> any further information.

Google