PDA

View Full Version : Nanotechnology and soaring

Nimbus GB
March 29th 05, 12:19 PM
A visit yesterday to Londons science and technology museum yesterday
with the family involved an interesting session in the nanotechnology
display. Of course my mind was occupied with thoughts on how NT could
be applied to soaring/sailplanes and the section on coatings was
particularly rewarding.

Automotive topcoats including Nano Titanuim Oxide offer almost
fantastic resilience to UV and the effects of atmospheric polution.
Self cleaning canopies that are always pristine? Imagine a 20 year old
sailplane with no gelcoat cracks and as white as the day it was
delivered!

The promise of composites based on materials including nanotubes may
mean wing section thicknesses previously thought impossible. How about
an Eta 2 with 50m span?

An interesting experience on a crummy soaring day! Thanks to the new
policy of no entry charge the day only cost about the same as 4 or 5
aerotows.

Ian

Tim Mara
March 29th 05, 03:50 PM
the newest version of Wx/Block (new and improved) uses nanotechnology
see some brief comments on http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page44.htm
tim

"Nimbus GB" > wrote in message
>A visit yesterday to Londons science and technology museum yesterday
> with the family involved an interesting session in the nanotechnology
> display. Of course my mind was occupied with thoughts on how NT could
> be applied to soaring/sailplanes and the section on coatings was
> particularly rewarding.
>
> Automotive topcoats including Nano Titanuim Oxide offer almost
> fantastic resilience to UV and the effects of atmospheric polution.
> Self cleaning canopies that are always pristine? Imagine a 20 year old
> sailplane with no gelcoat cracks and as white as the day it was
> delivered!
>
> The promise of composites based on materials including nanotubes may
> mean wing section thicknesses previously thought impossible. How about
> an Eta 2 with 50m span?
>
> An interesting experience on a crummy soaring day! Thanks to the new
> policy of no entry charge the day only cost about the same as 4 or 5
> aerotows.
>
> Ian

Google