PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone Emergency Use only

Robert M. Gary
March 30th 05, 11:13 PM
I just got my new GSM phone (previously I had a TDMA phone). I noticed
that in flight it said "Emergency Use Only" on the display. I was about
4,000 feet over SMF airport.

-Robert

Ray
March 30th 05, 11:44 PM
> I just got my new GSM phone (previously I had a TDMA phone). I noticed
> that in flight it said "Emergency Use Only" on the display. I was about
> 4,000 feet over SMF airport.

This is not a feature that's specific to flying. What's happening is the
phone is finding a signal on the 800 MHz band, but it doesn't have roaming
permissions - so it can only be used to call 911 (or the equivalent). Since
800MHz generally has a much longer range than 1900MHz, that's why you saw
the message when you were in the air.

With my sprint phone that has dual band capability, I generally get a usable
analog 800MHz signal in the air, but no digital or PCS signal.

- Ray

Cub Driver
March 31st 05, 12:14 AM
On 30 Mar 2005 14:13:01 -0800, "Robert M. Gary" >
wrote:

>I just got my new GSM phone (previously I had a TDMA phone). I noticed
>that in flight it said "Emergency Use Only" on the display. I was about
>4,000 feet over SMF airport.

Sounds good to me. I think it would be fair for you to test it. I've
tested 911 on my cell phone without feeling the need to apologize to
anyone. Then we would know how it works at 4,000 ft.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net

Grumman-581
March 31st 05, 06:59 AM
"Ray" wrote in message ...
> With my sprint phone that has dual band capability, I generally get a
usable
> analog 800MHz signal in the air, but no digital or PCS signal.

That would probably explain why I only get a signal when I'm 400 ft AGL or
lower... I have my phone set up to only use the digital network since I
don't want to pay the analog roaming charges...

Google