PDA

View Full Version : Oudie gear warning?

March 31st 20, 06:51 PM
Hey all - I just acquired an original Oudie and I have noticed a gear warning in the profile setup. Not mentioned in the manual and the previous 2 owners do not know about it. I have not noticed it trying to get my attention in the pattern either. I will ask Naviter next unless youze can fill me in.

MNLou
March 31st 20, 06:57 PM
You are welcome!:)

I am one of many who exhorted Naviter to add an altitude based gear warning. It was included in an update, I believe, at the beginning of last year.

It is based on your AGL - about 200m / 660 ft. It knows where you are and it knows the ground level where you took off. If A = B, you get the warning.

It also has a gear warning at altitude to make sure you are "gear up". I can't remember what the logic is behind that. Circling I think.

Anyway, a very useful reminder in the pattern.

Lou

March 31st 20, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I will see if I notice anything.

Scott Williams[_2_]
March 31st 20, 08:26 PM
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 12:57:38 PM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
> You are welcome!:)
>
> I am one of many who exhorted Naviter to add an altitude based gear warning. It was included in an update, I believe, at the beginning of last year.
>
> It is based on your AGL - about 200m / 660 ft. It knows where you are and it knows the ground level where you took off. If A = B, you get the warning.
>
> It also has a gear warning at altitude to make sure you are "gear up". I can't remember what the logic is behind that. Circling I think.
>
> Anyway, a very useful reminder in the pattern.
>
> Lou

Is this function added to an IGC with an update?
Scott

Scott Williams[_2_]
March 31st 20, 08:57 PM
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 2:27:02 PM UTC-5, Scott Williams wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 12:57:38 PM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
> > You are welcome!:)
> >
> > I am one of many who exhorted Naviter to add an altitude based gear warning. It was included in an update, I believe, at the beginning of last year.
> >
> > It is based on your AGL - about 200m / 660 ft. It knows where you are and it knows the ground level where you took off. If A = B, you get the warning.
> >
> > It also has a gear warning at altitude to make sure you are "gear up". I can't remember what the logic is behind that. Circling I think.
> >
> > Anyway, a very useful reminder in the pattern.
> >
> > Lou
>

> Is this function added to an IGC with an update?
> Scott

Got it, If only I would read the posts in order,
Thanks for the heads up!!
Scott

Dennis Cavagnaro
April 1st 20, 05:32 PM
Where in the settings screens is the gear warning? I don’t have a page that says Profile.

DC

Scott Williams[_2_]
April 1st 20, 05:41 PM
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 11:32:36 AM UTC-5, Dennis Cavagnaro wrote:
> Where in the settings screens is the gear warning? I don’t have a page that says Profile.
>
> DC

turn on, see you mobile, menu button, settings, next, next, next, misc,
Middle of screen, "before landing... check landing gear

Oudie IGC version 9.17.00 on mine,
Good luck
Scott

Dennis Cavagnaro
April 1st 20, 06:05 PM
Does this work with a Oudie 2?

DC

Marc V
April 1st 20, 07:03 PM
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 1:06:04 PM UTC-4, Dennis Cavagnaro wrote:
> Does this work with a Oudie 2?
>
> DC

Yes, the post above by Scott is exactly what you do to turn that feature on for the Oudie 2... I have it set on mine and it works great, but regarding the post above from Lou, mine does not give a "gear up" notification and I don't see anywhere to enable that feature, if someone has more info on that, please post ... Thanks, Marc

Scott Williams[_2_]
April 1st 20, 07:26 PM
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 12:06:04 PM UTC-5, Dennis Cavagnaro wrote:
> Does this work with a Oudie 2?
>
> DC

I have a newer oudie IGC, and the second original oudie made. Serial #2 and the landing gear check is on both after an update.
Scott

Dennis Cavagnaro
April 1st 20, 08:20 PM
Got it Thx
Mine is checked for landing gear

Now what exactly will happen if I forget my gear during a landing? Will I see a message or hear a sound?

DC

Scott Williams[_2_]
April 1st 20, 09:34 PM
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 2:20:17 PM UTC-5, Dennis Cavagnaro wrote:
> Got it Thx
> Mine is checked for landing gear
>
> Now what exactly will happen if I forget my gear during a landing? Will I see a message or hear a sound?
>
> DC

while I have not flown since this update, the previous posts by others seem to indicate that if I get to an altitude of 660feet in close proximity to my launch gps location, the oudie will announce or have a popup window something like "check landing gear"
I suppose this may or may not be the case, maybe it compares altitude and ground elevation? be interesting to see how it works!
Scott

Scott Williams[_2_]
April 1st 20, 09:35 PM
On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 3:34:47 PM UTC-5, Scott Williams wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 2:20:17 PM UTC-5, Dennis Cavagnaro wrote:
> > Got it Thx
> > Mine is checked for landing gear
> >
> > Now what exactly will happen if I forget my gear during a landing? Will I see a message or hear a sound?
> >
> > DC
>
> while I have not flown since this update, the previous posts by others seem to indicate that if I get to an altitude of 660feet in close proximity to my launch gps location, the oudie will announce or have a popup window something like "check landing gear"
> I suppose this may or may not be the case, maybe it compares altitude and ground elevation? be interesting to see how it works!
> Scott
I'll try it out with condor.

NG[_2_]
April 1st 20, 11:12 PM
> Hey all - I just acquired an original Oudie and I have noticed a gear warning in the profile setup. Not mentioned in the manual and the previous 2 owners do not know about it. I have not noticed it trying to get my attention in the pattern either. I will ask Naviter next unless youze can fill me in.

April 6th 20, 03:06 PM
I finally heard back from Naviter, they confirm it is visual only. Not worth the code! I don't think I will be making the Oudie part of my scan below pattern altitude.

MNLou
April 6th 20, 04:53 PM
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 9:06:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> I finally heard back from Naviter, they confirm it is visual only.

Hmmm - that brings up an interesting situation. I am definitely getting an audio warning in addition to the banner warning on the Oudie.

I've got a Flarm - S8 - Oudie set up. Perhaps the audio warning is coming from the S8? I was pretty sure it was coming from the Oudie but if Naviter says not so??????

Lou

Tony[_5_]
April 6th 20, 04:58 PM
Weird because on mine, there is a chime i'm pretty sure and I think the lady says "Check Gear" along with the message on the screen...

SoaringXCellence
April 6th 20, 05:43 PM
Depending on how you have configured the S8, it can give all kinds of verbal warnings. Even without a gear sensing switch it will remind you to check gear 5 minutes after you're airborne.

April 6th 20, 07:03 PM
Well the guy at Naviter did not seem on top if the issue...is anyone getting an aural without other gadgets involved?

April 7th 20, 02:26 AM
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 1:03:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Well the guy at Naviter did not seem on top if the issue...is anyone getting an aural without other gadgets involved?

It's been far too long since I've flown but I was surprised to start getting an aural "check gear" on downwind, even when landing out at a nearby field, and know that there's also an indication on the Oudie although I didn't really look at it.

Chuck Werninger
Soaring Club of Houston
LS-4 "VL"

Nelson Howe
April 7th 20, 01:27 PM
> Hey all - I just acquired an original Oudie and I have noticed a gear warning in the profile setup. Not mentioned in the manual and the previous 2 owners do not know about it. I have not noticed it trying to get my attention in the pattern either. I will ask Naviter next unless youze can fill me in.

April 7th 20, 03:05 PM
Be very careful with gear warnings that are integrated into a navigation suite. I have an S80. My behavior during approach to landings is to turn down the volume on my nav systems when entering the pattern to concentrate on my scans and listening to the radio. Turns out the volume for the gear warning gets shut down also.
Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.

April 7th 20, 04:07 PM
> Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.

I am a member of the "Gear Up Landing Club." (As well as the "Might Do It Again Club."

Since there are already assorted honks, beeps, squeals and garbled radio noises in the cockpit, I decided that one more (especially one that you probably don't hear very often) might be ignored. So, instead of another annoying warning horn, I installed a pair of flashing red/blue LED lights in the panel (along with a test switch). These are the only lights in the panel, so they definitely attract attention, and cannot be mistaken for anything else.

Also, I have seen some landing gear switches that are placed incorrectly. The are on the gear lever/actuating mechanism in such a position that they indicate "Gear Down" when the lever is merely out of the "Up and Locked" position. You want them to ONLY indicate "Down and Locked" when the gear is ACTUALLY IN the down and locked position.

Don't join the club. Initiation fees are expensive.

April 7th 20, 04:15 PM
Instead of a buzzer, ringing tone or lights, Voice chips are cheap now. My next upgrade will be, in a sexy voice, "check your gear"!

CH

Nick Kennedy[_3_]
April 7th 20, 04:33 PM
Last fall after updating my Oudie, I started getting the Aural Gear warning.
I like it, anything the Oudie says to me is important so I tend to listen to it.
It would be great if they could put in a Raise Your Gear warning, as one who has landed gear up and flew around all day with the gear down.
If there is a way to screw it up it seems I've done it.
Nick

MNLou
April 7th 20, 04:47 PM
> It would be great if they could put in a Raise Your Gear warning, as one who has landed gear up and flew around all day with the gear down.

It's there Nick. I'm not sure what triggers it but I get the same "Check Gear" aural and banner warning after release and sometimes late in the tow.

Of course, I've never needed it to remind me to pull up my gear - yeah - right.

Lou

April 7th 20, 05:08 PM
I have installed the Tassman audio gear warning system.
You record your own voice.
So..if I extend the spoilers without the gear lowered my voice says, "put the gear down stupid, push the lever forward."

My second glider has this message, "put the gear down stupid, pull the lever back."

No problems with landings since.

Dan Marotta
April 7th 20, 05:46 PM
My Stemme has LEDs to indicate gear position.Â* Two green lights indicate
BOTH main gear are down.Â* No lights indicate that BOTH main gear are
up.Â* During retraction, the unlocked gear shows a FLASHING red light,
while the locked down gear continues to show green.Â* When the second
gear unlocks to retract, its light flashes RED.

Any time the dive brakes are extended and BOTH gear are NOT down and
locked, both gear lights flash alternately red and a very obnoxious horn
sounds.Â* It cannot be silenced until the dive brakes are closed and
locked or the gear are BOTH down and locked.

It's hard to miss the signals.Â* I take pride in never hearing the gear
horn because I lower the gear on downwind and set the flaps for the
current winds BEFORE opening the dive brakes.

I suppose that if I was very low and out of energy and stretching my
glide to reach the runway, I could theoretically miss lowering the gear
and, without opening the dive brakes not get a warning.Â* But my Air
Force training is pretty strong and I (almost) always reach the IP with
excess altitude.Â* Another reason why I don't fly contests.

--
Dan, 5J

Dan Marotta
April 7th 20, 05:50 PM
That should be simple to accomplish if you can get the software
maintainers on board.

On 4/7/2020 9:33 AM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
> Last fall after updating my Oudie, I started getting the Aural Gear warning.
> I like it, anything the Oudie says to me is important so I tend to listen to it.
> It would be great if they could put in a Raise Your Gear warning, as one who has landed gear up and flew around all day with the gear down.
> If there is a way to screw it up it seems I've done it.
> Nick

Dan, 5J

Nick Kennedy[_3_]
April 7th 20, 06:59 PM
Lou
I'll watch for that " Raise your Gear" the next time I fly.
I updated my Oudie last week so hopefully its in there.
Do I need to check any box in the settings to activate this feature that you know of?
Nick

MNLou
April 7th 20, 09:55 PM
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 12:59:32 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
> Lou
> I'll watch for that " Raise your Gear" the next time I fly.
> I updated my Oudie last week so hopefully its in there.
> Do I need to check any box in the settings to activate this feature that you know of?
> Nick

The warning for both retract and extend simply says "Check Gear".

There is a checkbox under Settings / Miscellaneous (per a previous poster) for the extend gear. I assume that also give you the retract gear.

Lou

April 8th 20, 02:15 AM
Dan, You crack me up, " my airforce training is pretty strong". Our only 2 gear up landings in our club, ASA out of turf were by F16 instructors out of Luke, seems they always had an airman spotter at the end of the runway " checking their gear on short final :)

April 8th 20, 02:35 AM
In contests you lose as much as half your score if you don't overhead the field at pattern altitude, it's changed from years ago.

Dennis Cavagnaro
April 8th 20, 03:06 PM
Exactly ... why not have a pleasant voice chime in programmed with your name saying ..Hey Dennis ..don’t forget your gear. In fact I would want her help in normal flight saying ...You know Dennis there is a nice thermal a few miles down to the right -:)

DC

Dan Marotta
April 8th 20, 04:17 PM
You're right, Cliff!

I'd completely forgotten about the RSU (Runway Supervisory Unit) who
would send you around (wave off for you Navy pukes) if you didn't have
your gear down.Â* Reminds me the of the story of the pilot at the
accident review board who said that he didn't lower his gear because he
was distracted by the loud buzzing in his head set and the flares
shooting off at the end of the runway.

But on a more serious note, I check my gear position, handle/switch,
indicator(s), and sounds/buffeting, three times before each landing:Â* on
downwind, on base, and on final.Â* I always cringe on short final
thinking how long it takes for the gear to extend electrically and that,
since the engine is secured, there will be no go around if I don't have
two green lights.

On 4/7/2020 7:15 PM, wrote:
> Dan, You crack me up, " my airforce training is pretty strong". Our only 2 gear up landings in our club, ASA out of turf were by F16 instructors out of Luke, seems they always had an airman spotter at the end of the runway " checking their gear on short final :)

--
Dan, 5J

Soartech
April 11th 20, 03:55 PM
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:07:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.
>
> I am a member of the "Gear Up Landing Club." (As well as the "Might Do It Again Club."

Easy solution with no electronics required.
1. Decide it is time to land and get in pattern.
2. Make radio call and then shut it off.
3. Out Loud say USTALL or other landing checklist.
4. Land with gear down at proper speed as you look far down the runway.

April 11th 20, 04:23 PM
On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 9:55:03 AM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:07:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > > Now I have an independant gear warning system. If anything, the gear warning volume needs to be THE LOUDEST SOUND IN THE COCKPIT.
> >
> > I am a member of the "Gear Up Landing Club." (As well as the "Might Do It Again Club."
>
> Easy solution with no electronics required.
> 1. Decide it is time to land and get in pattern.
> 2. Make radio call and then shut it off.
> 3. Out Loud say USTALL or other landing checklist.
> 4. Land with gear down at proper speed as you look far down the runway.

Solution to make the solution work.

Humility to know that with enough unexpected stuff in the pattern it can happen to me too.

MNLou
April 11th 20, 04:43 PM
Why would one want to shut the radio off in the pattern after making their initial radio call?

I want to know what all traffic is doing at all times.

Saved my butt a number of times with conflicts in the pattern that arose after the initial call - mostly with power traffic.

Perhaps this is less of an issue at glider only locations.

Lou

April 11th 20, 06:01 PM
On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 10:43:38 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
> Why would one want to shut the radio off in the pattern after making their initial radio call?
>
> I want to know what all traffic is doing at all times.
>
> Saved my butt a number of times with conflicts in the pattern that arose after the initial call - mostly with power traffic.
>
> Perhaps this is less of an issue at glider only locations.
>
> Lou

I watched a similar situation play out at our field one day when a Discus launched and his spoilers popped open at the beginning of the tow. The tow pilot and several of us on the ground kept calling him on the radio, telling him to close them but he never responded. Fortunately, the Pawnee was strong enough to drag him up and he released at 2000' as planned. After the day was over and he had landed, we all asked him about the spoilers and he told us he was wondering why the tow took so long and figured it out after he released. We asked why he couldn't hear all of us calling him on the radio and he said "I turn that thing off on takeoff and landing so I can concentrate better without all that yakking going on". SMH

April 11th 20, 06:39 PM
"I turn that thing off on takeoff and landing so I can concentrate better without all that yakking going on"

Violates the what's it going to look like on the accident rule.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 12th 20, 02:30 AM
True that....

I remember a club glider on final, non-local power guy making a conflict on final....club ground calling a glider on final to the power guy (most club ships don't have radios)....finally worked out OK.

I did do a "worm burner" in a single place glass ship just off his wingtip as he rolled out to let him know he was not the only ship using the airport.

There is "right", and then there is "dead right".....all comes down to "see and avoid".. complain later....

AS
April 12th 20, 02:44 AM
On Saturday, April 11, 2020 at 9:30:46 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> True that....
>
> I remember a club glider on final, non-local power guy making a conflict on final....club ground calling a glider on final to the power guy (most club ships don't have radios)....finally worked out OK.
>
> I did do a "worm burner" in a single place glass ship just off his wingtip as he rolled out to let him know he was not the only ship using the airport.
>
> There is "right", and then there is "dead right".....all comes down to "see and avoid".. complain later....

I just ran the latest update and now have sexy female voice tell me 'Caution - your zipper is down!'

Uli
'AS'

May 1st 20, 01:11 AM
Well I have kept an eye on the Oudie as best I could on the last two landings and never saw it give a gear warning. Wonder if my firmware version doesn't play with the software or something?

Unfortunately the guy at Naviter didn't seem to grasp my query. Anybody write in Slovene?

May 1st 20, 01:28 AM
> Well I have kept an eye on the Oudie as best I could on the last two landings and never saw it give a gear warning. Wonder if my firmware version doesn't play with the software or something?
>
> Unfortunately the guy at Naviter didn't seem to grasp my query. Anybody write in Slovene?

Please make sure you're running the Naviter Updater on your PC and connect the Oudie to confirm you have the most recent software on it. I can't remember exactly which version added this capability but it was within the last 12-18 months. If you're not running the new version, it won't work.

Hope this helps,

Chuck Werninger
LS-4 VL
Soaring Club of Houston

May 3rd 20, 06:00 PM
Thanks Chuck, am definitely running latest software. Dunno if first-generation Oudie firmware might be the issue but comms with Naviter are not productive.

Would love to get the functionality - I haven't left the gear up yet in 38 years but I ain't getting any younger/smarter...

May 16th 20, 08:45 PM
OK, so after a good seven or so flights I finally saw that the gear warning works, then disappears. Pretty useless unless you are conditioned to look at a moving map full-time, and I should hope not! So I have suggested to Naviter that they make it aural and/or have it continuous until acknowledged. Please chime in as MNLou did and maybe they will improve the feature in the future.

Now, for you techno folks - is there any way I can bootleg the Oudie gear warning to drive something aural in the cockpit? No, I really don't want to add a flarm or a cappucino maker...

MNLou
May 16th 20, 09:06 PM
I'm definitely getting a sweet loud female voice saying "Check gear" as well as the on screen message.

I'm not sure what is triggering the audio. I assumed it was the Oudie2.

Lou

May 16th 20, 09:12 PM
Thanks Lou - can you look into how the gadgets interact? Or test by leaving the S8 off on a circuit? Don't gear-up on my account!

krasw
May 18th 20, 07:35 AM
On Saturday, 16 May 2020 23:12:27 UTC+3, wrote:
> Thanks Lou - can you look into how the gadgets interact? Or test by leaving the S8 off on a circuit? Don't gear-up on my account!

The Oudie2 voice warning comes from Oudie speaker, just TURN UP THE VOLUME.

May 21st 20, 06:06 PM
On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 2:35:39 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
> On Saturday, 16 May 2020 23:12:27 UTC+3, wrote:
> > Thanks Lou - can you look into how the gadgets interact? Or test by leaving the S8 off on a circuit? Don't gear-up on my account!
>
> The Oudie2 voice warning comes from Oudie speaker, just TURN UP THE VOLUME.

krasw - Thanks - if this is the right track then I am baffled that Naviter did not point me this way. I disabled SeeYouMobile from starting automatically so that I can get to the device's settings screen without having to wait for SYM to boot up and then have to shut it down. I raised the volume to max and saved the setting, definitely works, BUT - as soon as I run SYM again the volume is turned off. I exit SYM and the setting is back to zero volume. IF I shut down and reboot the Oudie without running SYM the volume setting I save stays put. Any ideas?

May 22nd 20, 01:47 AM
OK, I figgered out how to change the speaker volume in the .xml file. Sheesh. I set it to 99 and now get volume, verified by using the check box for screen touch sounds. Flying Saturday and we shall see if Betty speaks up!

May 24th 20, 05:22 AM
Yes, I can now report that after I stopped SeeYou Mobile from cutting off my speaker volume, I get sort of an electronic donkey sound with the gear warning.

To match the convention elsewhere in aviation, it would be better if it repeated both on screen and audio until acknowledged, perhaps every 3-5 seconds of so.

Google