PDA

View Full Version : Good account of Randy Cunningham's dogfight?

April 5th 05, 02:05 AM
Can anybody point me to a good account of Randy Cunningham's dogfight in
Vietnam? Book or magazine form is okay.

Andrew Venor
April 5th 05, 05:59 AM
D wrote:
> Can anybody point me to a good account of Randy Cunningham's dogfight in
> Vietnam? Book or magazine form is okay.

It's not a book or magazine, but I remember years ago Rep. Cunningham
giving a talk about what happened on that mission in an interview on the
History Channel. I think the show was called Weapons at War. You might
want to see if you can find that episode on video.

ALV

mah
April 5th 05, 12:19 PM
D wrote:

> Can anybody point me to a good account of Randy Cunningham's dogfight in
> Vietnam? Book or magazine form is okay.

Can't remember the author but look for the book "One Day in a Long
War". It goes through one of the busiest days and Cunninghams fight was
in there.

MAH

April 5th 05, 04:47 PM
It's been awhile since I read the book, but John Sherwood's
"Afterburner: Naval Aviators and the Vietnam War" (New York University
Press, May 2004) held a pretty detailed account ISTR.

Will Dossel
Last of the Steeljaws (VAW-122)

Guy Alcala
April 5th 05, 08:37 PM
There's always the first person account in Cunningham's book
"Fox Two", and I'm pretty sure that Wilcox' book about the
formation of TopGun, "Scream of Eagles", includes an
account. Lou Drendel's "and Kill MiGs", 1st and 2nd ed. for
sure and probably 3rd., will include Cunningham's account of
all 5 kills. In short, you can find more accounts of
Cunningham and Driscoll's fight on 10 May than just about
any other single occurrence of the air war in Vietnam. I'd
probably go with Ethell and Price in "One Day in a Long
War", as IIRR they listened to/read the radio transcripts as
well as interviewed many of the other aircrew involved, so
you get a more objective version of events than that based
on one or two people's always fallible
memories/perspectives.

Guy

Google