PDA

View Full Version : Re: GPS and Beyond: The SatNav Transition for aviation

Kevin Horton
September 21st 04, 11:41 AM
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:11:27 +0000, UltraJohn wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>somethingggggoing to make a prediction.
>>> Within 20 years we will no longer depend on GPS for navigation, at
>>> least not as the primary, or sole means of navigation toward which we
>>> are currently moving.
>>>
>>> We already have some pretty good solid state gyros and inertial
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> I'd bet that we are going to reach a point where we will be able to
>>> have small, compact, and inexpensive systems that will be independent
>>> of outside sources except for possibly "correction, or reference
>>> points". those points could be GPS and/or widely spaced ground
>>> stations.
>>>

> According to my "SR-71 POH" it used and INS with star mapping to correct
> it. They have improved tremendously in the optics and microcontroller
> since that system was devised so I would think you could use something
> like that today without to much trouble.
> John

Sure, if you can fly high enough so the stars are visible during daylight.
Otherwise, this will only work at night and if there isn't too much cloud
cover.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

B2431
September 22nd 04, 09:34 PM
>From: Jack Yeazel
>Date: 9/22/2004 8:03 AM Central Daylight Time
>

>Bob Noel wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Eunometic,

>> > No. It needs initial position information.
>>
>> It most definitely can be independent. The initial position does not
>> have to be determined by a sat system.
>
>OK, but then by what??
>--
>Jack

The various INS systems I worked on in the Air Farce could be
updated/initialized manually. There is a memory that would keep the location
and direction information at time of power off. The older systems I worked on
had magnetic core memory.

The INS can determine true north all by itself, but uses compass information to
give it an approximation to speed this process.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Google