PDA

View Full Version : Rigger Information

cdeerinck
May 5th 20, 06:55 PM
I am looking at getting an electric rigger for a DG-800S 15/18m.
Currently, I am aware of two on the market IMI (Wings and Wheels) and SoaringXX (Cumulus).
Can anyone advise on the differences between the two?
Are there any others out there that I should be checking out?
Does anyone have a used one for sale?

Trying to get one very soon. Thanks for any feedback.

May 5th 20, 07:36 PM
I think the style with 4 or 5 wheels is more stable than the single-axle type...

Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
May 5th 20, 07:59 PM
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
> I am looking at getting an electric rigger for a DG-800S 15/18m.
> Currently, I am aware of two on the market IMI (Wings and Wheels) and SoaringXX (Cumulus).
> Can anyone advise on the differences between the two?
> Are there any others out there that I should be checking out?
> Does anyone have a used one for sale?
>
> Trying to get one very soon. Thanks for any feedback.

SoaringXX from Craggy Aero

http://www.craggyaero.com/ground_handling.htm

2G
May 6th 20, 03:16 AM
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
> I am looking at getting an electric rigger for a DG-800S 15/18m.
> Currently, I am aware of two on the market IMI (Wings and Wheels) and SoaringXX (Cumulus).
> Can anyone advise on the differences between the two?
> Are there any others out there that I should be checking out?
> Does anyone have a used one for sale?
>
> Trying to get one very soon. Thanks for any feedback.

I have the IMI rigger. It is well-constructed using quality materials and disassembles into a relatively small package for storage. The remote controls are GREAT! No more back and forth adjustments as you are trying to get the wings aligned. Just be sure that you start with enough remaining travel to get things aligned (pretty much the same issue with any rigger). The only issue I have had with it was that (somehow) the power switch was either left on, or it got bumped and the battery was drained when I was ready to use it. No battery - no rig. Furthermore, the battery was drained so badly that my Hitec X2 would not charge it, so I had to attach my solar panel to get some charge into the battery. Then the clouds blocked the sun! Lesson learned: buy a 2nd battery. But the connections are soldered to the battery terminal, so I had to unsolder them and attach slip-on terminals. Other than that I have no complaints.

The SoaringXX rigger looks very similar and is a little cheaper, but haven't seen it in person to assess its construction quality.

Tom

Colin Roney
May 6th 20, 08:36 AM
At 02:16 06 May 2020, 2G wrote:
>On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
>> I am looking at getting an electric rigger for a DG-800S 15/18m.
>> Currently, I am aware of two on the market IMI (Wings and Wheels) and
>Soa=
>ringXX (Cumulus).
>> Can anyone advise on the differences between the two?
>> Are there any others out there that I should be checking out?
>> Does anyone have a used one for sale?
>>=20
>> Trying to get one very soon. Thanks for any feedback.
>
>I have the IMI rigger. It is well-constructed using quality materials and
>d=
>isassembles into a relatively small package for storage. The remote
>control=
>s are GREAT! No more back and forth adjustments as you are trying to get
>th=
>e wings aligned. Just be sure that you start with enough remaining travel
>t=
>o get things aligned (pretty much the same issue with any rigger). The
>only=
> issue I have had with it was that (somehow) the power switch was either
>le=
>ft on, or it got bumped and the battery was drained when I was ready to
>use=
> it. No battery - no rig. Furthermore, the battery was drained so badly
>tha=
>t my Hitec X2 would not charge it, so I had to attach my solar panel to
>get=
> some charge into the battery. Then the clouds blocked the sun! Lesson
>lear=
>ned: buy a 2nd battery. But the connections are soldered to the battery
>ter=
>minal, so I had to unsolder them and attach slip-on terminals. Other than
>t=
>hat I have no complaints.
>
>The SoaringXX rigger looks very similar and is a little cheaper, but
>haven'=
>t seen it in person to assess its construction quality.
>
>Tom

You need to make sure it is up to the job regarding electric power. I
bought one for a Lak 12 and it simply wasn`t man enough to lift the wing.
They all seem to be underpowered.

Colin Roney
May 6th 20, 09:53 AM
At 07:36 06 May 2020, Colin Roney wrote:
>At 02:16 06 May 2020, 2G wrote:
>>On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
>>> I am looking at getting an electric rigger for a DG-800S 15/18m.
>>> Currently, I am aware of two on the market IMI (Wings and Wheels) and
>>Soa=
>>ringXX (Cumulus).
>>> Can anyone advise on the differences between the two?
>>> Are there any others out there that I should be checking out?
>>> Does anyone have a used one for sale?
>>>=20
>>> Trying to get one very soon. Thanks for any feedback.
>>
>>I have the IMI rigger. It is well-constructed using quality materials
and
>>d=
>>isassembles into a relatively small package for storage. The remote
>>control=
>>s are GREAT! No more back and forth adjustments as you are trying to get
>>th=
>>e wings aligned. Just be sure that you start with enough remaining
travel
>>t=
>>o get things aligned (pretty much the same issue with any rigger). The
>>only=
>> issue I have had with it was that (somehow) the power switch was either
>>le=
>>ft on, or it got bumped and the battery was drained when I was ready to
>>use=
>> it. No battery - no rig. Furthermore, the battery was drained so badly
>>tha=
>>t my Hitec X2 would not charge it, so I had to attach my solar panel to
>>get=
>> some charge into the battery. Then the clouds blocked the sun! Lesson
>>lear=
>>ned: buy a 2nd battery. But the connections are soldered to the battery
>>ter=
>>minal, so I had to unsolder them and attach slip-on terminals. Other
than
>>t=
>>hat I have no complaints.
>>
>>The SoaringXX rigger looks very similar and is a little cheaper, but
>>haven'=
>>t seen it in person to assess its construction quality.
>>
>>Tom
>
>You need to make sure it is up to the job regarding electric power.
>bought one for a Lak 12 and it simply wasn`t man enough to lift the wing
>They all seem to be underpowered.

I should have added that a Lak 12 wing weighs in at about 230lbs.

Dave Nadler
May 6th 20, 12:36 PM
On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:16:12 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
> No battery - no rig...

Equip your rigger with a long power lead and the same connectors
as your plane battery. Then you can use the plane battery when
you forget something and run down the rigger battery ;-)

PS: Yes, I did need to use that feature once, oops.

May 6th 20, 01:41 PM
I am using IMI power rigger for over one year now. Very happy so far, no more running multiple times to wing stands. Saves a lot of my energy especially in hot weather.I have light 15M glider and with full battery charge I can rig glider about 5 times.

2G
May 6th 20, 05:16 PM
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 12:45:05 AM UTC-7, Colin Roney wrote:
> At 02:16 06 May 2020, 2G wrote:
> >On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, cdeerinck wrote:
> >> I am looking at getting an electric rigger for a DG-800S 15/18m.
> >> Currently, I am aware of two on the market IMI (Wings and Wheels) and
> >Soa=
> >ringXX (Cumulus).
> >> Can anyone advise on the differences between the two?
> >> Are there any others out there that I should be checking out?
> >> Does anyone have a used one for sale?
> >>=20
> >> Trying to get one very soon. Thanks for any feedback.
> >
> >I have the IMI rigger. It is well-constructed using quality materials and
> >d=
> >isassembles into a relatively small package for storage. The remote
> >control=
> >s are GREAT! No more back and forth adjustments as you are trying to get
> >th=
> >e wings aligned. Just be sure that you start with enough remaining travel
> >t=
> >o get things aligned (pretty much the same issue with any rigger). The
> >only=
> > issue I have had with it was that (somehow) the power switch was either
> >le=
> >ft on, or it got bumped and the battery was drained when I was ready to
> >use=
> > it. No battery - no rig. Furthermore, the battery was drained so badly
> >tha=
> >t my Hitec X2 would not charge it, so I had to attach my solar panel to
> >get=
> > some charge into the battery. Then the clouds blocked the sun! Lesson
> >lear=
> >ned: buy a 2nd battery. But the connections are soldered to the battery
> >ter=
> >minal, so I had to unsolder them and attach slip-on terminals. Other than
> >t=
> >hat I have no complaints.
> >
> >The SoaringXX rigger looks very similar and is a little cheaper, but
> >haven'=
> >t seen it in person to assess its construction quality.
> >
> >Tom
>
> You need to make sure it is up to the job regarding electric power. I
> bought one for a Lak 12 and it simply wasn`t man enough to lift the wing.
> They all seem to be underpowered.

I fly an ASH31Mi, not exactly a feather weight. The IMI actuators are rated for 1500 N (337 lb), which should be more than adequate for your LAK 12. One thing that could reduce this is a bad or marginal battery. Try using a larger, temporary battery to see if this is the problem.
https://wingsandwheels.com/power-rigger.html

Tom

May 6th 20, 07:39 PM
As the producer of the WingRigger, I toyed with the idea of remote electric adjustment. I built a few, and made the parts to be retrofittable to existing WingRiggers. I learned that, the more powerful the actuator, the slower it operated due to the gear ratio from the motor to the screw drive. To allow for a faster speed without giving up the lifting capacity, I used an actuator with about 150 lbs. power and also had a 100 lb. gas spring. That seemed to work well. Unfortunately, demand never really developed, so I put the idea aside.

David Salmon[_3_]
May 7th 20, 09:06 AM
At 11:36 06 May 2020, Dave Nadler wrote:
>On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 10:16:12 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
>> No battery - no rig...
>
>Equip your rigger with a long power lead and the same connectors
>as your plane battery. Then you can use the plane battery when
>you forget something and run down the rigger battery ;-)
>
>PS: Yes, I did need to use that feature once, oops.

I decided on an IMI PR due to having had other IMI equipment including a
OMR, and all do the job well.
One point, about 2 years ago at annual inspection, a plastic tube end bung
was found in an inaccessible place in the bottom of my Discus fuselage. It
turned out to be from the OMR (not Power rigger), and must have gone in
through the side where the wing fits. I now glue them in.

Dave do you mean to plug the lead into the Charge XLR on the control
panel?
Also can anyone identify the small green plug and socket used on the
battery?
Dave

Dave Nadler
May 7th 20, 10:54 PM
On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 4:15:04 AM UTC-4, David Salmon wrote:
> Dave do you mean to plug the lead into the Charge XLR on the control panel?

No, battery connector so you can unplug the dead inbuilt battery and
connect to a glider battery.

> Also can anyone identify the small green plug and socket used on the battery?

I believe that's an MPX power lead as used by SH for battery connections.
While I haven't seen the connector inside the IMI,
MPX is what I used and suggested to IMI as it matched the glider battery.
Example:
https://powerbox-americas.com/products/mpx-extension?_pos=1&_sid=7ed57685d&_ss=r&variant=13909604630592

Hope that helps!
Best Regards, Dave

David Salmon[_3_]
May 8th 20, 09:18 AM
At 21:54 07 May 2020, Dave Nadler wrote:
>On Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 4:15:04 AM UTC-4, David Salmon wrote:
>> Dave do you mean to plug the lead into the Charge XLR on the control
>panel?
>
>No, battery connector so you can unplug the dead inbuilt battery and
>connect to a glider battery.
>
>> Also can anyone identify the small green plug and socket used on the
>battery?
>
>I believe that's an MPX power lead as used by SH for battery connections.
>While I haven't seen the connector inside the IMI,
>MPX is what I used and suggested to IMI as it matched the glider battery.
>Example:
>https://powerbox-americas.com/products/mpx-extension?_pos=1&_sid=7ed57685d&_ss=r&variant=13909604630592
>
>Hope that helps!
>Best Regards, Dave

Thanks Dave, yes the MPX does look like the connector fitted to the battery
on the IMI PR.
Regards and stay safe
Dave

Google