PDA

View Full Version : VAQ-129 EA-18G Paint Scheme

C.D.Damron
April 19th 05, 03:36 AM
Hot off the press.

http://damrontech.com/vaq129.ppt

MICHAEL OLEARY
April 20th 05, 09:53 PM
The wingtip stations do have the receivers on them in the photo. The rest
of the stuff looks correct. I also agree that the EA-6B needs to be
retired!
-Moe

"fudog50" > wrote in message
> Pretty cool artistry.
> Hey! I see 2 HARM's and an empty outboard wing station! Pretty sure
> that is where the 99 receivers and antennas will go. Everytime I see a
> picture of a G, it excites the hell out me, lets get this jet fielded!
> I was a Prowler guy (MMCO) for a tour and currently onboard a carrier.
> Last cruise, Prowlers were our heaviest hitters for logistics, that
> is, per aircraft. C/D squadrons overall require the most support but
> have more jets. E/F is great, other than the P.O.S. APG-73. Prowlers
> need to go away fast!
>
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 02:36:10 GMT, "C.D.Damron" >
> wrote:
>
>>Hot off the press.
>>
>>http://damrontech.com/vaq129.ppt

fudog50
April 21st 05, 01:10 AM

wrote:

>Hot off the press.
>
>http://damrontech.com/vaq129.ppt

C.D.Damron
April 21st 05, 03:27 AM
"MICHAEL OLEARY" > wrote in message
> The wingtip stations do have the receivers on them in the photo. The rest
> of the stuff looks correct. I also agree that the EA-6B needs to be
> retired!

Retirement will start in 2009 and the last Prowler is scheduled for
retirement in 2014 if current timetables hold up.

That PowerPoint presentation was given to me by the head of the EA-18G
program, so I would hope that he would have noticed any obvious problems
with the portrayals.

April 22nd 05, 06:55 PM
I understand your enthusiasm about EA-18G ;-) - it could be called an
"F/A-18F Plus" rather than "EA-6B replacement".

First version of the story was that EA-18G was incapable of carrying
AIM-9X (having wingtips EW pods permanently attached), but now appears
it can do anything F/A-18F can do, plus missions requiring dedicated
electronic warfare equipment not available in F version.

That would be a plane for every day of the war - from the start, when
jamming, recce, SEAD/time-critical strike missions are especially
important, until the later phase, when it could support F/A-18E/F on
tanker, strike, or fighter duties. It could also act as a Forward Air
Controller (Airborne) or UAV control platform.

The only question is: will it be as effective jammer as Prowler is?

Best regards,

Jacek

C.D.Damron
April 23rd 05, 12:57 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The only question is: will it be as effective jammer as Prowler is?

I'll ask my father, he is head of the Growler program and is a former
Prowler ECMO.

Allen Epps
April 23rd 05, 01:58 AM
In article <Obgae.9310$WI3.5518@attbi_s71>, C.D.Damron
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > The only question is: will it be as effective jammer as Prowler is?
>

> I'll ask my father, he is head of the Growler program and is a former
> Prowler ECMO.

upgraded ICAP III system and ALQ-99 pods. Why not?

C.D.Damron
April 23rd 05, 02:05 AM
"Allen Epps" > wrote in message
news:220420052058559276%> upgraded ICAP III system and ALQ-99 pods. Why not?

I'm curious about crew workload going from 2-3 ECMO's to 1.

Mike Kanze
April 23rd 05, 07:34 AM
>The only question is: will it be as effective jammer as Prowler is?

Not really the only question.

When the Prowler came into service in the early 1970s, the question in some
misinformed quarters was:

"How much gas can it give?"

This was actually a very serious question coming from folks accustomed to
operations with the Electric Whale (EKA-3B). With tanking assets at a
premium, I am sure this question will resurface with the Growler if it
hasn't already.

--
Mike Kanze

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."

- Claude Swanson (Secretary of the Navy, second Roosevelt administration)

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I understand your enthusiasm about EA-18G ;-) - it could be called an
> "F/A-18F Plus" rather than "EA-6B replacement".
>
> First version of the story was that EA-18G was incapable of carrying
> AIM-9X (having wingtips EW pods permanently attached), but now appears
> it can do anything F/A-18F can do, plus missions requiring dedicated
> electronic warfare equipment not available in F version.
>
> That would be a plane for every day of the war - from the start, when
> jamming, recce, SEAD/time-critical strike missions are especially
> important, until the later phase, when it could support F/A-18E/F on
> tanker, strike, or fighter duties. It could also act as a Forward Air
> Controller (Airborne) or UAV control platform.
>
> The only question is: will it be as effective jammer as Prowler is?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jacek

Allen Epps
April 23rd 05, 12:31 PM
In article <ybhae.10294$r53.7704@attbi_s21>, C.D.Damron
> wrote:

> "Allen Epps" > wrote in message
> news:220420052058559276%> upgraded ICAP III system and ALQ-99 pods. Why not?
>
> I'm curious about crew workload going from 2-3 ECMO's to 1.

I've only flown the Growler sim a couple times, one a very early
version circa 96 in St. Louis and once the latest road show version in
early 04 and it's come a long ways in that time. I have about 2200
hours (ECMO) in the Prowler starting with the baseline ICAP II and
finished up with the block 89A as a reference point . Given the changes
in the ICAPIII system and that the pilot will now have more tasks than
currenty in the Prowler my own opinion is the job can be done pretty
easily by two folks.

Of course, cross countries may be less fun with less of your buds along!

Pugs

April 25th 05, 10:10 AM
Considering the fact that the whole fleet of F/A-18E/F & EA-18G in
future IS NOT to refuel F-35s, but IS to refuel all F/A-18s and UAVs, I
think emerging that question again is probable.

By the way, I learnt it just a few weeks ago that who actually invented
aerial refueling were Germans in WWII. They also thought about a winged
fuel tank towed by a bomber. Quite an interesting idea. To be adopted
in F/A-18s to compensate "short legs" problem?;-)

Best regards,

Jacek Zemlo

Mike Kanze wrote:

> When the Prowler came into service in the early 1970s, the question
in some
> misinformed quarters was:
>
> "How much gas can it give?"
>
> This was actually a very serious question coming from folks
accustomed to
> operations with the Electric Whale (EKA-3B). With tanking assets at a

> premium, I am sure this question will resurface with the Growler if
it
> hasn't already.

Keith W
April 25th 05, 08:19 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Considering the fact that the whole fleet of F/A-18E/F & EA-18G in
> future IS NOT to refuel F-35s, but IS to refuel all F/A-18s and UAVs, I
> think emerging that question again is probable.
>
> By the way, I learnt it just a few weeks ago that who actually invented
> aerial refueling were Germans in WWII.

Then you learned wrong

The first inflight refuelling took place in 1921 when Wesley May, a
barnstorming stuntman, strapped a five-gallon gas can to his back
and stepped from the wing of his Lincoln Standard to the wing skid
of a Curtis JN-4, unstrapped the can and emptied its contents into
the Jenny's fuel tanks.

In July of 1923, the Army Air Service, conducted the first successful
air-to-air refueling that used a hose to refuel one aircraft from another
and two Air Service lieutenants, John Richter and Lowell Smith, used
aerial refueling to fly their de Havilland DH-4B non-stop from the Canadian
border to Tijuana, Mexico, covering the 1,300 miles in twelve hours with
two refuelings.

The USAAC let things drop after an accident but another of the early
barnstormers, Sir Alan Cobham founded Flight Refuelling Ltd
and manufactured the first commercially available refuelling
systems.

In 1939 these were use to refuel Imperial Airways 'C' Class flying boats
from FRL's Harrow tankers allowing the aircraft to cross the Atlantic
non-stop.

In 1945 the RAF were planning to use IFR operationally
to provide its Lancaster bombers with the range to bomb Japan
when the war ended.

In 1948 the US Air Force purchased Flight Refuelling Ltd 'looped hose'
AAR equipment for their KB29 tanker fleet and in 1949 Flight Refuelling Ltd
invented the 'probe and drogue' method of AAR still used by the USN
and RAF.

Keith

Mike Kanze
April 26th 05, 11:37 PM
Anyone stationed at NAS Meridian, Mississippi, might remember the Key
brothers.

Al and Fred Key took a modified Curtiss Robin aloft from Meridian's airport
and kept it airborne via an improvised in-flight refueling scheme for 27
days (!) in July 1935.

(Those among us who bitch about being double- or triple-cycled, or whine
about 8 hour hops over Afghanistan can shut up for a while.)

I remember when Fred Key died in 1971, a noteworthy event in Meridian then.
Key Field, Meridian's commercial / general aviation field, is named after Al
and Fred.

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/aviation/old.htm
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues97/oct97/flew.html
http://www.lib.usm.edu/~archives/key.htm

--
Mike Kanze

"Experience proves that the man who obstructs a war in which his nation is
engaged, no matter whether right or wrong, occupies no enviable place in
life or history."

- U. S. Grant, Personal Memoirs

"Keith W" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Considering the fact that the whole fleet of F/A-18E/F & EA-18G in
>> future IS NOT to refuel F-35s, but IS to refuel all F/A-18s and UAVs, I
>> think emerging that question again is probable.
>>
>> By the way, I learnt it just a few weeks ago that who actually invented
>> aerial refueling were Germans in WWII.
>
> Then you learned wrong
>
> The first inflight refuelling took place in 1921 when Wesley May, a
> barnstorming stuntman, strapped a five-gallon gas can to his back
> and stepped from the wing of his Lincoln Standard to the wing skid
> of a Curtis JN-4, unstrapped the can and emptied its contents into
> the Jenny's fuel tanks.
>
> In July of 1923, the Army Air Service, conducted the first successful
> air-to-air refueling that used a hose to refuel one aircraft from another
> and two Air Service lieutenants, John Richter and Lowell Smith, used
> aerial refueling to fly their de Havilland DH-4B non-stop from the
> Canadian
> border to Tijuana, Mexico, covering the 1,300 miles in twelve hours with
> two refuelings.
>
> The USAAC let things drop after an accident but another of the early
> barnstormers, Sir Alan Cobham founded Flight Refuelling Ltd
> and manufactured the first commercially available refuelling
> systems.
>
> In 1939 these were use to refuel Imperial Airways 'C' Class flying boats
> from FRL's Harrow tankers allowing the aircraft to cross the Atlantic
> non-stop.
>
> In 1945 the RAF were planning to use IFR operationally
> to provide its Lancaster bombers with the range to bomb Japan
> when the war ended.
>
> In 1948 the US Air Force purchased Flight Refuelling Ltd 'looped hose'
> AAR equipment for their KB29 tanker fleet and in 1949 Flight Refuelling
> Ltd
> invented the 'probe and drogue' method of AAR still used by the USN
> and RAF.
>
> Keith

Google