PDA

View Full Version : Does your airport WiFi?

john smith
April 26th 05, 09:40 PM
I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
I am now spoiled!
The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides
free wireless internet access in the terminal and restaurant. It is nice
to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather, discuss
it with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and
committing aviation.

I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

How about your airport?

What kind of range have you seen?

Can you get it in your hangar?

Maybe we can even get AOPA to include this as a resource in future
Airport Directories.

Paul Tomblin
April 26th 05, 10:33 PM
In a previous article, john smith > said:
>I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
>that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.
>
>How about your airport?
>
>What kind of range have you seen?
>
>Can you get it in your hangar?

Peidmont-Hawthorne and One of the flying schools at KROC both have free
wi-fi setups and there is also a for-pay WiFi on the commerical side.

The Rochester Flying Club installed a cable modem and a Linux kiosk
computer in our ops center for the use of the members to check weather,
reschedule aircraft, etc. I used Linux because I wanted to be sure the
members didn't infest the computer with viruses and spyware. In fact,
every time you log out it wipes the whole user area and reloads it from
protected disk.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I assume HR did send out the ad I wanted, not "apply for a cool job if

Robert M. Gary
April 26th 05, 10:53 PM
john smith wrote:
> I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
> I am now spoiled!
> The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides

> free wireless internet access in the terminal and restaurant. It is
nice
> to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather,
discuss
> it with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and
> committing aviation.
>
> I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA
airports
> that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.
>
> How about your airport?
>
> What kind of range have you seen?
>
> Can you get it in your hangar?
>
> Maybe we can even get AOPA to include this as a resource in future
> Airport Directories.

I think AOPA should. I've noticed than most of the larger shops offer
WiFi for customers waiting for aircraft.
I can also attach my laptop (or PDA) to my cell phone (via Bluetooth)
and use the GPRS data network to use the internet anywhere I can get a
cell phone signal. Make sure you have a data plan though before you do
that since you can be paying up to 5 cents per K.

-Robert

John Clonts
April 27th 05, 12:58 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message ...
>I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
> I am now spoiled!
> The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides free wireless internet access in the
> terminal and restaurant. It is nice to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather, discuss it
> with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and committing aviation.
>
> I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports that offer this service, but find
> mostly aircarrier sources.
>
> How about your airport?

Temple KTPL, no.
Austin KAUS Trajen, yes.
Abilene KABI, yes (but I have never been able to successfully connect...)

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

CryptWolf
April 27th 05, 01:09 AM
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I think AOPA should. I've noticed than most of the larger shops offer
> WiFi for customers waiting for aircraft.
> I can also attach my laptop (or PDA) to my cell phone (via Bluetooth)
> and use the GPRS data network to use the internet anywhere I can get a
> cell phone signal. Make sure you have a data plan though before you do
> that since you can be paying up to 5 cents per K.

If you have one of the cell phones with the modem (mine is a Motorola V60)
built in, you can connect at around 19k and do the same thing. You need
a local (local to your cell phone number) dialup ISP service number.
You may also need a special USB cable for the phone and some extra
software. I've demonstrated this to a few pilots getting DUATS over
the net and supplemented with ADDS graphics though the graphics load
slow. It's a free call or counts as regular minutes since it is handled the
same as any voice call.

Matt Barrow
April 27th 05, 02:31 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message
> I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
> I am now spoiled!
> The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides
> free wireless internet access in the terminal and restaurant. It is nice
> to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather, discuss
> it with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and
> committing aviation.
>
> I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
> that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.

AirNav has an icon in the FBO sections for WiFi.

For example, look at http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCOS and note the two
main FBO's.

> How about your airport?

Nope, I do it at home first.

> What kind of range have you seen?

Never tried to test it but have had good results at five feet.

> Can you get it in your hangar?

No, but why would you want to?

> Maybe we can even get AOPA to include this as a resource in future
> Airport Directories.

They should.

Peter R.
April 27th 05, 02:48 AM
john smith > wrote:

> I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
> that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.
>
> How about your airport?

One of the FBOs at Syracuse, NY (KSYR), ExecAir, offers free wireless
Internet access.

After reading the other post about the icon on AirNav, I looked there to
see if there is an icon for this FBO. There is no icon there so either
a) no one has contacted AirNav about the wireless access or b) displaying
icons is a pay service offered by AirNav and I know this FBO does not like
to spend any money.

> What kind of range have you seen?

I was able to receive a signal out at the airplane, about 150 feet away
from the FBO. This is the same area where transients park.

> Can you get it in your hangar?

No.

--
Peter

Matt Barrow
April 27th 05, 03:07 AM
"Peter R." > wrote in message
> john smith > wrote:
>
> > I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
> > that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.
> >
> > How about your airport?
>
> One of the FBOs at Syracuse, NY (KSYR), ExecAir, offers free wireless
> Internet access.
>
> After reading the other post about the icon on AirNav, I looked there to
> see if there is an icon for this FBO. There is no icon there so either
> a) no one has contacted AirNav about the wireless access or b) displaying
> icons is a pay service offered by AirNav and I know this FBO does not like
> to spend any money.

I believe it costs to have any information other than the FBO name and phone
number is subscription. Oddly, they link to their web site from Airnav, so
they are spending some $$$. They don't mention it in their listing of other
services (hangers, rentals, etc).

Sounds more like a matter of half-assed marketing. That they have a virtual
monopoly at that airport might be a factor. :~)

--
Matt
---------------------

Peter R.
April 27th 05, 03:11 AM
Matt Barrow > wrote:

> Sounds more like a matter of half-assed marketing. That they have a virtual
> monopoly at that airport might be a factor. :~)

You said it! With 100LL over US$4.25 per gallon there and no sign of going
down, they have Park Place and Boardwalk property there. :)

--
Peter
(A reference to the two best paying properties in the board game, Monopoly)

OtisWinslow
April 27th 05, 01:06 PM
I do this too. It's very handy. I have nationwide free long distance
so I can just dial into the same number all the time when using
the cell phone.

"CryptWolf" > wrote in message
news:1114560412.db96457d9f5e51cc973659a3925d1e67@t eranews...

> If you have one of the cell phones with the modem (mine is a Motorola V60)
> built in, you can connect at around 19k and do the same thing. You need
> a local (local to your cell phone number) dialup ISP service number.
> You may also need a special USB cable for the phone and some extra
> software. I've demonstrated this to a few pilots getting DUATS over
> the net and supplemented with ADDS graphics though the graphics load
> slow. It's a free call or counts as regular minutes since it is handled
> the
> same as any voice call.

Dave Butler
April 27th 05, 02:34 PM
On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access at
Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very nearby.

I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on the
stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.

Is there any chance EAA would do something like that?

Any idea how to approach EAA or whom to contact about it?

How about some entrepreneur/vendor/display booth setting up an access point on
the grounds, either for a fee or as a public service for the advertising value?

Dave

Kyler Laird
April 27th 05, 03:08 PM
"Matt Barrow" > writes:

>> Can you get it in your hangar?

>No, but why would you want to?

Have you missed all the threads on remote preheater starting? I'd
also use it to enhance security. (Hmmm...maybe even have my GPS
and engine analyzer dump their logs too?)

Performing quick preflight DUAT actions at high speeds from inside
my plane would be handy.

--kyler

Robert M. Gary
April 27th 05, 04:40 PM
I have a Motorola V551, I've only used it for GPRS internet, not for
dial up internet. I have Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools software on my
PC. Is that the software you use to create the dial up connection?
-Robert

Blanche
April 27th 05, 05:28 PM
In article <1114609193.690100@sj-nntpcache-3>, Dave Butler > wrote:
>On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access at
>Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very nearby.
>
>I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on the
>stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.
>
>Is there any chance EAA would do something like that?
>
>Any idea how to approach EAA or whom to contact about it?
>
>How about some entrepreneur/vendor/display booth setting up an access point on
>the grounds, either for a fee or as a public service for the advertising value?

[not a flame, just a gripe]

You kidding? EAA can't even provide sufficient handwash stations around
the field. You expect anything higher-tech? I'm convinced PP has
an under-the-table deal with the companies that make those
water-less cleaning gels and baby wipes.

[end gripe]

Dave Butler
April 27th 05, 05:35 PM
Blanche wrote:
> In article <1114609193.690100@sj-nntpcache-3>, Dave Butler > wrote:
>
>>On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access at
>>Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very nearby.
>>
>>I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on the
>>stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.
>>
>>Is there any chance EAA would do something like that?
>>
>>Any idea how to approach EAA or whom to contact about it?
>>
>>How about some entrepreneur/vendor/display booth setting up an access point on
>>the grounds, either for a fee or as a public service for the advertising value?
>

> [not a flame, just a gripe]
>
> You kidding? EAA can't even provide sufficient handwash stations around
> the field. You expect anything higher-tech? I'm convinced PP has
> an under-the-table deal with the companies that make those
> water-less cleaning gels and baby wipes.
>
> [end gripe]

Heh. Right. Good point, Blanche. I should have known better. I still think there
might be value for someone with a display booth, though. They'd probably need a
satellite internet provider, like, say, DirecWay. I think it would attract a lot
of people to their booth.

Juan Jimenez
April 27th 05, 08:00 PM
The fastest connection you can get at AirVenture, because of its distance
from the nearest facility, appears to be ISDN. There's no DSL, that I know
of, or anything faster. ANN sets up WiFi but encrypted for use by the staff
and stringers. It would be ridiculously easy to slow down an ISDN to a crawl
if it was opened up. In order to handle the traffic for so many people at
the show EAA would probably have to temporarily setup multiple T-1's, and
that costs a lot of money for just one week of the show...

"Dave Butler" > wrote in message

> On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access
> at Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very
> nearby.
>
> I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on
> the stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.
>
> Is there any chance EAA would do something like that?
>
> Any idea how to approach EAA or whom to contact about it?
>
> How about some entrepreneur/vendor/display booth setting up an access
> point on the grounds, either for a fee or as a public service for the
> advertising value?
>
> Dave

Darrel Toepfer
April 27th 05, 08:02 PM
Dave Butler wrote:

> Heh. Right. Good point, Blanche. I should have known better. I still
> think there might be value for someone with a display booth, though.
> They'd probably need a satellite internet provider, like, say, DirecWay.
> I think it would attract a lot of people to their booth.

Reads like "Burning Man". Course that might fit in with Montblack's
'black'n everything'...

Dave Butler
April 27th 05, 08:35 PM
Juan Jimenez wrote:
> The fastest connection you can get at AirVenture, because of its distance
> from the nearest facility, appears to be ISDN.

I'm not sure there's no DSL, you could be right. DSL advertisers are notorious
liars. Also, there's satellite. If the bandwidth can't support the demand, the
number could be restricted to some arbitrary number of simultaneous users,
first-come first-served. Better than nothing.

> There's no DSL, that I know
> of, or anything faster. ANN sets up WiFi but encrypted for use by the staff
> and stringers. It would be ridiculously easy to slow down an ISDN to a crawl
> if it was opened up.

ISDN is not a practical solution.

> In order to handle the traffic for so many people at
> the show EAA would probably have to temporarily setup multiple T-1's, and
> that costs a lot of money for just one week of the show...

I'd be willing to pay for access if there were an on-field provider. I suspect
I'm not alone.

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367

Dave Butler
April 27th 05, 08:37 PM
Juan Jimenez wrote:
> The fastest connection you can get at AirVenture, because of its distance
> from the nearest facility, appears to be ISDN. There's no DSL, that I know
> of, or anything faster.

NorthNet http://www.ntd.net/internet.htm claims to offer DSL.

Montblack
April 27th 05, 09:28 PM
("Dave Butler" wrote)
> I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on
> the stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.

Found an open hot-spot last year, next to the N-40 showers (by the homes)
one night at around 9:30pm. Stylus and a handheld something - don't remember
the brand the guy had.

But yes, sounds too hit and miss for what you're after.

Montblack

George Patterson
April 27th 05, 10:39 PM
Dave Butler wrote:

> NorthNet http://www.ntd.net/internet.htm claims to offer DSL.

In nearly all of the U.S., the internet providers are running on lines that
they've taken over from the local Bell company. The lines are still provisioned
by the local baby Bell. If the local Bell says that they can't give you DSL at
your location, nobody else can either. That doesn't stop the internet service
companies from claiming they can. I think the baby Bell in that area is Ameritec?

Here, Earthlink was claiming that they could provide me DSL for two years before
my line could actually support it. Verizon had to condition the line for DSL
before anyone could provide service on it.

In order to handle DSL, the service address must be pretty close to the central
office (IIRC, 5,000'). The entire cable must also be free of load coils. Most
ISPs simply check the distance but have no way of knowing if coils are on the cable.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

RST Engineering
April 28th 05, 12:05 AM
I don't promise what I am not absolutely SURE of delivering, but it is these
little amenities that a friendly person on the EAA Board of Directors might
be able to bring to pass.

Just a thought, mindya.

Jim

Montblack
April 28th 05, 12:25 AM
("RST Engineering" wrote)
>I don't promise what I am not absolutely SURE of delivering, but it is
>these little amenities that a friendly person on the EAA Board of Directors
>might be able to bring to pass.

A broadband in every po(r)t?

Montblack

April 28th 05, 02:23 AM
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:39:57 GMT, George Patterson
> wrote:

>Dave Butler wrote:
>>
>> NorthNet http://www.ntd.net/internet.htm claims to offer DSL.
>
>In nearly all of the U.S., the internet providers are running on lines that
>they've taken over from the local Bell company. The lines are still provisioned
>by the local baby Bell. If the local Bell says that they can't give you DSL at
>your location, nobody else can either. That doesn't stop the internet service
>companies from claiming they can. I think the baby Bell in that area is Ameritec?
>
>Here, Earthlink was claiming that they could provide me DSL for two years before
>my line could actually support it. Verizon had to condition the line for DSL
>before anyone could provide service on it.
>
>In order to handle DSL, the service address must be pretty close to the central
>office (IIRC, 5,000'). The entire cable must also be free of load coils. Most
>ISPs simply check the distance but have no way of knowing if coils are on the cable.

thread drift warning (you have been warned)

Contacted the local telco (brand V) several years ago concerning my
new residential service. It was a line running in a ditch for about
3/8 of a mile from the neighbor's junction box and literally
duct-taped to the poles to cross the road to my house.

Got passed around for awhile, and ended up with the engineer
responsible for jobs in my area. My primary concern was garbage coming
in from the street goofing up my brand new wired network in the house
(half telco/half LAN). Had no idea if it would be an issue-that's why
I was asking.

He assured me that the job would be completed by the end of the week
(it was) and asked me if I had ever considered DSL. Told him all the
contacts with the "sales team" told me that it was not available in my
area. He mashed a couple buttons on his keyboard, came up with my
location, and asked me how far away I was from the "box".

Turns out I was 8,200' of wire away. He did a "line test", and put me
in contact with a person within the company (not related to the sales
team) that had me hooked up within 2 weeks.

The company has since made a nationally advertised plan available in
my area. I knew it was going to be a PITA, but I switched to save $25
a month. Took about three days on the phone to convince them that I
had existing fixed IP DSL and get signed up for an annual contract.
Took another week on the phone to get the info I needed to get hooked
up/swapped over to the telco ISP. Initially, my existing service was
cut off, and I was told again that DSL wasn't available in my area,
and that I never should have been offered/sold service.

Long story short, have talked to other locals (a lot closer than my
8200') who were sold "self-install" kits and contracts from the sales
team and found out from the same engineer that their lines were not
suitable/compatible.

Cable is not a available option for me, but if the cable companies
offer any customer service at all, it's no surprise that they are
kicking the phone company's collective asses.

TC

Darrel Toepfer
April 28th 05, 02:32 AM
George Patterson wrote:

> In order to handle DSL, the service address must be pretty close to the
> central office (IIRC, 5,000'). The entire cable must also be free of
> load coils. Most ISPs simply check the distance but have no way of
> knowing if coils are on the cable.

My ISDN line (128k) back in the mid 90's was over 40 miles long. My DSL
line(s) today are under 18,000 foot. Even with 3 DSLs and a cablemodem
connection, I'm still saving money over what I used to pay...

Jon A.
April 28th 05, 02:36 AM
As long as someone wants to line Poberesny's pocket, he can come to
AirVenture. Doesn't matter if he's selling WiFi or pussy.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 09:34:10 -0400, Dave Butler > wrote:

>On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access at
>Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very nearby.
>
>I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on the
>stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.
>
>Is there any chance EAA would do something like that?
>
>Any idea how to approach EAA or whom to contact about it?
>
>How about some entrepreneur/vendor/display booth setting up an access point on
>the grounds, either for a fee or as a public service for the advertising value?
>
>Dave

Jon A.
April 28th 05, 02:39 AM
I'll vote for the misguided Jim Weir. Hey, if can't make California
governor, then EAA director is just as good. I know he'll be just as
aggravated serving either one.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:05:23 -0700, "RST Engineering"
> wrote:

>I don't promise what I am not absolutely SURE of delivering, but it is these
>little amenities that a friendly person on the EAA Board of Directors might
>be able to bring to pass.
>
>Just a thought, mindya.
>

>Jim

Dave
April 28th 05, 02:45 AM
Yes...

Free, for last 3 years... (CYFC)

Covers the"Public area" of the terminal, but "leaks"
substantially into other areas...

Intended for business travellers...

About 30% of our city (Fredericton, NB, Canada) is covered
with free (Really!) wi-Fi.....installed by the city & partners.....

And the footprint is growing rapidly, - 40% this year...

The city is ringed with "dark fiber" , so now it is easy...

Dave

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:40:13 GMT, john smith >
wrote:

>I just added a wireless networking card to my laptop.
>I am now spoiled!
>The airport I fly out of (KOSU/Don Scott Field, Columbus OH) provides
>free wireless internet access in the terminal and restaurant. It is nice
>to relax and eat breakfast, pull up all the pertinent weather, discuss
>it with the the other pilots before getting in the airplane and
>committing aviation.
>
>I have been searching several websites for listing of other GA airports
>that offer this service, but find mostly aircarrier sources.
>
>How about your airport?
>
>What kind of range have you seen?
>
>Can you get it in your hangar?
>
>Maybe we can even get AOPA to include this as a resource in future
>Airport Directories.

George Patterson
April 28th 05, 05:08 AM
wrote:

> Cable is not a available option for me, but if the cable companies
> offer any customer service at all, it's no surprise that they are
> kicking the phone company's collective asses.

Here, they don't. I'm paying $40 a month *less* for my DSL line than the local
cable company wants for computer access cable. The Comcast customer service
lines were a real PITA when we had cable. Verizon's service lines were great,
except for the long holding time. The hold actually wouldn't be so bad, except
that they would play the "self-help" tips over and over again while you were
waiting. With Comcast, if there was a problem in the area, they just wouldn't
answer the phone.

One of the advantages of DSL is that I have a direct line to the switch -- I
have to share the bandwidth on cable. Granted, if there's a lot of traffic on
the server, I'll still see a slow connection, but I don't see the service
degradation caused by congestion on the cable. IIRC, cable was frequently a
little faster than my DSL line usually is, but there were also times when it
crawled, and I don't see that on DSL.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Juan Jimenez
April 28th 05, 05:36 AM
> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>> The fastest connection you can get at AirVenture, because of its distance
>> from the nearest facility, appears to be ISDN.
>
> I'm not sure there's no DSL, you could be right. DSL advertisers are
> notorious liars. Also, there's satellite. If the bandwidth can't support
> the demand, the number could be restricted to some arbitrary number of
> simultaneous users, first-come first-served. Better than nothing.

If you think about it, the area where the show takes place is well separated
from the rest of civilization. For DSL to work you have to be a certain
distance from the closest telco facility, due to limitations of POTS wire.

>> There's no DSL, that I know of, or anything faster. ANN sets up WiFi but
>> encrypted for use by the staff and stringers. It would be ridiculously
>> easy to slow down an ISDN to a crawl if it was opened up.
>
> ISDN is not a practical solution.
>
>> In order to handle the traffic for so many people at the show EAA would
>> probably have to temporarily setup multiple T-1's, and that costs a lot
>> of money for just one week of the show...
>
> I'd be willing to pay for access if there were an on-field provider. I
> suspect I'm not alone.

There is. If you can use a cellphone, you can probably use one of their
PCMCIA access cards and hook up that way. If you can rent cellphones, why
not the cards? There's a business opportunity for ya. Pitch it to EAA. :)

Juan

Juan Jimenez
April 28th 05, 05:38 AM
But to where? What part of Wittman Field? WiFi will get you about a 300 ft
radius, maybe a bit more if you get fancy with the antennas. You then have
to deploy an infrastructure to which you can connect the access points. It
takes money, and all for 1 week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors,
volunteers, etc.

> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>> The fastest connection you can get at AirVenture, because of its distance
>> from the nearest facility, appears to be ISDN. There's no DSL, that I
>> know of, or anything faster.
>
> NorthNet http://www.ntd.net/internet.htm claims to offer DSL.

Juan Jimenez
April 28th 05, 05:39 AM
> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:39:57 GMT, George Patterson
> > wrote:
>
> Turns out I was 8,200' of wire away. He did a "line test", and put me
> in contact with a person within the company (not related to the sales
> team) that had me hooked up within 2 weeks.

I believe the limit on DSL is 15,000 ft from the telco facility and at that
range, quality of the signal is so degraded to be almost worthless. But
under exceptional conditions, you may get service at that distance.

David Lesher
April 28th 05, 05:40 AM
One choice is EVDO. If the area has coverage, you can feed an 802.11b
access point from the cellular service. At least one commercial
product <https://evdo.sslpowered.com/wifi-router-evdo-sharing.htm>
and one project (StompBox) do the trick.
--
A host is a host from coast to

Blanche Cohen
April 28th 05, 05:59 AM
Juan Jimenez > wrote:
>But to where? What part of Wittman Field? WiFi will get you about a 300 ft
>radius, maybe a bit more if you get fancy with the antennas. You then have
>to deploy an infrastructure to which you can connect the access points. It
>takes money, and all for 1 week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors,
>volunteers, etc.

"takes money".

And just how much do you think Airventure grosses that week?

Let's see...how many visitor per day? Lowball it at 10K per day.
Assume half are EAA members at $20/day and the other half are
paying the $30. Times 6 days = 1.5M USD.

Now about those exhibitors...and sponsors, etc. Every single one of
them pays a substantial fee. Don't know what the fee/sq ft is but
I've been involved with very large technical trade shows over the
years and it aint cheap. I'd make a WAG and say that more than
$25M comes in from the exhibit fees.

OK, I'll agree that the show funds most of the rest of the year's
efforts, the museum, rent, utilities and the rest of the
EAA infrastructure.

But I'd speculate that the phone company could easily and happily
install a few T3's for 2 weeks at not more than $100K.

As an example, Universal Studios theme park near Orlando installs
an extra thousand (or more!) lines for the month of October to
support the Halloween attractions.

Roger
April 28th 05, 07:03 AM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 04:08:47 GMT, George Patterson

wrote:

>> Cable is not a available option for me, but if the cable companies
>> offer any customer service at all, it's no surprise that they are
>> kicking the phone company's collective asses.
>
>Here, they don't. I'm paying $40 a month *less* for my DSL line than the local

Good Gawd!
It cost me about $97 a month for 128K DSL. Another $90 some for a
dedicated IP at my provider, web hosting, and about a gig of storage.

The cable company is around $29 a month for 3 Mbs down and 256Kbs up.
Plus the first three months were free when I provided my own modem.
Other than the cable company's auto hook up software didn't work, it
was simple to do manually, call the proper number, give them the MAC
address of the main computer.

Once connected, I went to the router manufacturer's site, logged in
and cloned the MAC addresses for the rest of the computers on the
network.

>cable company wants for computer access cable. The Comcast customer service
>lines were a real PITA when we had cable. Verizon's service lines were great,

So far, Charter has been very helpful. Only once did I get a "clueless
newbie" at the help desk. Or it may have been a tech with no
communications skills <:-))

>except for the long holding time. The hold actually wouldn't be so bad, except
>that they would play the "self-help" tips over and over again while you were
>waiting. With Comcast, if there was a problem in the area, they just wouldn't
>answer the phone.

Here it's the phone company that's the PITA. Guess it all depends on
what company, what division, and who's on duty when you call.

>One of the advantages of DSL is that I have a direct line to the switch -- I
>have to share the bandwidth on cable. Granted, if there's a lot of traffic on
>the server, I'll still see a slow connection, but I don't see the service
>degradation caused by congestion on the cable. IIRC, cable was frequently a
>little faster than my DSL line usually is, but there were also times when it
>crawled, and I don't see that on DSL.

Being a power user, I hope no one on our cable feed decides to try
VoIP as it's gonna be pretty intermittent.
I also hope no one in the neighborhood decides to automate with home
plug next to my legal limit radio station.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>George Patterson
> There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
> mashed potatoes.

Roger
April 28th 05, 07:06 AM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:39:50 -0400, "Juan Jimenez" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:39:57 GMT, George Patterson
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Turns out I was 8,200' of wire away. He did a "line test", and put me
>> in contact with a person within the company (not related to the sales
>> team) that had me hooked up within 2 weeks.
>
>I believe the limit on DSL is 15,000 ft from the telco facility and at that
>range, quality of the signal is so degraded to be almost worthless. But
>under exceptional conditions, you may get service at that distance.

I was a tad over 5 miles (25000 plus change) and it was very reliable.
Of course it was only 128Kbs and cost me nearly a hundred a month. For
slightly less than twice as much I could have had 256Kbs.

Now the local ISP is working on wireless.
I've offered to help Beta test.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Roger
April 28th 05, 07:10 AM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:38:15 -0400, "Juan Jimenez" >
wrote:

>But to where? What part of Wittman Field? WiFi will get you about a 300 ft
>radius, maybe a bit more if you get fancy with the antennas. You then have
>to deploy an infrastructure to which you can connect the access points. It
>takes money, and all for 1 week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors,
>volunteers, etc.

You could probably put up some wide area WAPs with 3 or 4 to cover the
whole works. It's not simple, but could be done.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>"Dave Butler" > wrote in message
>> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>>> The fastest connection you can get at AirVenture, because of its distance
>>> from the nearest facility, appears to be ISDN. There's no DSL, that I
>>> know of, or anything faster.
>>
>> NorthNet http://www.ntd.net/internet.htm claims to offer DSL.

Ron Natalie
April 28th 05, 02:04 PM
Dave Butler wrote:

> On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access
> at Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very
> nearby.

The nearest WIFI's last year was a few of the neighboring hotels and
the Starbucks up the road. We spent the last night in the American
Suites or whatever it is (the one that has the LaSeurs catering hall
attached and it has WIFI).

Having an internet cafe on the field would sure be nice.

Nathan Young
April 28th 05, 02:10 PM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 04:40:59 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
> wrote:

>One choice is EVDO. If the area has coverage, you can feed an 802.11b
>access point from the cellular service. At least one commercial
>product <https://evdo.sslpowered.com/wifi-router-evdo-sharing.htm>
>and one project (StompBox) do the trick.

Any of the high-speed cellular connections would work as the backhaul.

Another option that might allow better bandwidth...

Since backhauling the 802.11b/g data isn't a mobile application,
better datarates would be achieved through point to point last mile
type connectivity. In Chicago, we have several such carriers, but I
haven't looked at Oshkosh.

Nathan Young
April 28th 05, 02:15 PM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:36:22 -0400, "Juan Jimenez" >
wrote:

>"Dave Butler" > wrote in message
>> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>>> The fastest connection you can get at AirVenture, because of its distance
>>> from the nearest facility, appears to be ISDN.
>>
>> I'm not sure there's no DSL, you could be right. DSL advertisers are
>> notorious liars. Also, there's satellite. If the bandwidth can't support
>> the demand, the number could be restricted to some arbitrary number of
>> simultaneous users, first-come first-served. Better than nothing.
>
>If you think about it, the area where the show takes place is well separated
>from the rest of civilization. For DSL to work you have to be a certain
>distance from the closest telco facility, due to limitations of POTS wire.

That distance is typically a maximum of 18,000 feet of copper from the
central office or remote terminal hosting the DSLAM.

That is not very far considering OSH airport itself is probably a 2
mile by 3 mile chunk of land.

-Nathan

Nathan Young
April 28th 05, 02:21 PM
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:39:57 GMT, George Patterson
> wrote:

>Dave Butler wrote:
>>
>> NorthNet http://www.ntd.net/internet.htm claims to offer DSL.
>
>In nearly all of the U.S., the internet providers are running on lines that
>they've taken over from the local Bell company. The lines are still provisioned
>by the local baby Bell. If the local Bell says that they can't give you DSL at
>your location, nobody else can either. That doesn't stop the internet service
>companies from claiming they can. I think the baby Bell in that area is Ameritec?
>
>Here, Earthlink was claiming that they could provide me DSL for two years before
>my line could actually support it. Verizon had to condition the line for DSL
>before anyone could provide service on it.

My previous home was in a new subdivision in a growing area of my
community. We were one of the first homes in the subdivision. We
were approx 16k feet from the CO, with a clean line (no DLCs,
repeaters, etc.). At the time (~4-5 years ago) Ameritech was the
phone carrier, and they did not provide DSL. I was able to get a CLEC
to provide DSL services.

As the subdivision built and more phone and data services were
provisioned on the bundles accompanying my phone line - the DSL
service got worse and worse. Eventually, it got to a point where I
could 'sense' network loading based upon whether the DSL modem would
sync and provide service.

It worked fine during low times of usage - the mid of the day, and
the mid of the night. However, during peak usage hours of 7am-9am,
and 4pm-10pm it would never work.

An interesting problem, which I solved by moving.

-Nathan

Paul Tomblin
April 28th 05, 02:24 PM
In a previous article, "Juan Jimenez" > said:
>But to where? What part of Wittman Field? WiFi will get you about a 300 ft
>radius, maybe a bit more if you get fancy with the antennas. You then have
>to deploy an infrastructure to which you can connect the access points. It
>takes money, and all for 1 week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors,
>volunteers, etc.

The Linksys WRT54G wireless access point/router supports (at least it does
if you get the Sveasoft firmware, and believe me, you don't want it
without it) a mode where each WAP can relay traffic for all the other WAPs
in its range, so you can chain a bunch of them together wirelessly with
only one connected to the cable/dsl/fat pipe. You can also turn up the
power on them and increase the range.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Man in the tower, this is the man in the bird, I'm ready to go, so give me

Juan Jimenez
April 28th 05, 02:47 PM
"Blanche Cohen" > wrote in message

> And just how much do you think Airventure grosses that week?

Just pointing out that Airventure charges to get in is not a justification
for spending money on a WiFi infrastructure to be used just 2 weeks out of
the year.

Dave Butler
April 28th 05, 02:48 PM
George Patterson wrote:

> In nearly all of the U.S., the internet providers are running on lines
> that they've taken over from the local Bell company. The lines are still
> provisioned by the local baby Bell. If the local Bell says that they
> can't give you DSL at your location, nobody else can either. That
> doesn't stop the internet service companies from claiming they can.

Exactly. That's why I mentioned in one of my earlier postings that DSL providers
are notorious liars.

Dave Butler
April 28th 05, 02:58 PM
Juan Jimenez wrote:
> But to where? What part of Wittman Field?

Pick a spot. It doesn't have to cover the whole field.

> WiFi will get you about a 300 ft
> radius, maybe a bit more if you get fancy with the antennas. You then have
> to deploy an infrastructure to which you can connect the access points. It
> takes money, and all for 1 week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors,
> volunteers, etc.

I don't think the infrastructure is *so* expensive just to provide a hot spot,
if you don't try to cover the whole airfield. The local coffehouse can afford it.

Dave Butler
April 28th 05, 03:05 PM
Montblack wrote:
> ("Dave Butler" wrote)
>
>> I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on
>> the stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.
>

> Found an open hot-spot last year, next to the N-40 showers (by the homes)
> one night at around 9:30pm. Stylus and a handheld something - don't
> remember
> the brand the guy had.

Heh, that might have been me. :-) I found that spot by the homes next to the N40
showers with my Tungsten|C.

Dave

Matt Barrow
April 28th 05, 03:39 PM
"Nathan Young" > wrote in message

> An interesting problem, which I solved by moving.

And when the ashtrays full you buy a new car, right? :!~)

Matt Barrow
April 28th 05, 03:39 PM

> Exactly. That's why I mentioned in one of my earlier postings that DSL
providers
> are notorious liars.

So are the dial-up providers.
--
Matt
---------------------

Jay Honeck
April 28th 05, 03:41 PM
> The Linksys WRT54G wireless access point/router supports (at least it does
> if you get the Sveasoft firmware, and believe me, you don't want it
> without it) a mode where each WAP can relay traffic for all the other WAPs
> in its range, so you can chain a bunch of them together wirelessly with
> only one connected to the cable/dsl/fat pipe. You can also turn up the
> power on them and increase the range.

Ha. We tried the "repeater" method at the hotel, in an effort to adequately
cover two 3-story buildings.

It turned out to be incredibly unstable. All it would take was a 2 second
power outage, and the repeater "lost its mind" and would not recover -- a
completely untenable solution in a commercial application. Other times it
would lose its connection for no apparent reason at all, and have to be
"rebooted" from scratch -- a time consuming, aggravating affair.

Our solution was a separate DSL line and network in both buildings. A bit
more expensive, but rock-solid.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
April 28th 05, 03:43 PM
> I don't think the infrastructure is *so* expensive just to provide a hot
> spot, if you don't try to cover the whole airfield. The local coffehouse
> can afford it.

It's not. We covered our entire hotel -- two 3-story buildings, plus the
pool area -- for a grand investment of maybe $225. (Not counting the
monthly DSL line charges, of course.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>> But to where? What part of Wittman Field?
>
> Pick a spot. It doesn't have to cover the whole field.
>
>> WiFi will get you about a 300 ft radius, maybe a bit more if you get
>> fancy with the antennas. You then have to deploy an infrastructure to
>> which you can connect the access points. It takes money, and all for 1
>> week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors, volunteers, etc.

John Theune
April 28th 05, 04:08 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> Dave Butler wrote:
>

>> On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless
>> access at Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no
>> access very nearby.
>>
> The nearest WIFI's last year was a few of the neighboring hotels and
> the Starbucks up the road. We spent the last night in the American
> Suites or whatever it is (the one that has the LaSeurs catering hall
> attached and it has WIFI).
>
> Having an internet cafe on the field would sure be nice.
While it did not have WIFI, there was net access at the EAA members tent
last year with ethernet connections. They had a fair amount of trouble
witht he sat link, but it was there.

Nathan Young
April 28th 05, 04:39 PM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 07:39:08 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
> wrote:

>"Nathan Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> An interesting problem, which I solved by moving.
>
>And when the ashtrays full you buy a new car, right? :!~)

Yep. I also buy a new plane when the tanks run low!

Rob
April 28th 05, 07:45 PM
I spent some time scouting for WiFi last year at Oshkosh with my Ipaq
PDA. There were several networks in each of the four conference halls
but none of them were publicly accessible. EAA apparently charges
exhibitors big bucks to access the networks. At the "member center"
there were a couple of rows of PCs set up for public web browsing. I
asked the hostess there about WiFi and she looked at me like I had two
heads.

-R

Paul Tomblin
April 28th 05, 08:22 PM
In a previous article, "Rob" > said:
>exhibitors big bucks to access the networks. At the "member center"
>there were a couple of rows of PCs set up for public web browsing. I

Any chance of plugging your own laptop into their network? I don't like
typing in passwords on public terminals, because of people sticking
keystroke loggers on them. If I use my laptop, all my communications will
be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Sign on door of computing lecturer: "If your project is 90% right,

Dave Butler
April 28th 05, 08:38 PM
Paul Tomblin wrote:
> In a previous article, "Rob" > said:
>
>>exhibitors big bucks to access the networks. At the "member center"
>>there were a couple of rows of PCs set up for public web browsing. I
>

> Any chance of plugging your own laptop into their network? I don't like
> typing in passwords on public terminals, because of people sticking
> keystroke loggers on them. If I use my laptop, all my communications will
> be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.

If I understood John Theune's post correctly, there were wired ethernet ports
available.

George Patterson
April 28th 05, 11:20 PM
Roger wrote:

> Good Gawd!
> It cost me about $97 a month for 128K DSL. Another $90 some for a
> dedicated IP at my provider, web hosting, and about a gig of storage.

Verizon just went up to $37.95/month. With Federal fees & taxes, it totals
$42.45. If you sign a contract for a year, they charge $29.95. I'm still
thinking about that.

> The cable company is around $29 a month for 3 Mbs down and 256Kbs up.

We switched when Comcast passed $70/month. IIRC, they were charging $79 at the end.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

George Patterson
April 28th 05, 11:23 PM
Juan Jimenez wrote:

> Just pointing out that Airventure charges to get in is not a justification
> for spending money on a WiFi infrastructure to be used just 2 weeks out of
> the year.

For that short a timespan, sattelite might be the best way to go.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Jon A.
April 28th 05, 11:33 PM
wrote:

>> I'd be willing to pay for access if there were an on-field provider. I
>> suspect I'm not alone.
>
>There is. If you can use a cellphone, you can probably use one of their
>PCMCIA access cards and hook up that way. If you can rent cellphones, why
>not the cards? There's a business opportunity for ya. Pitch it to EAA. :)
>
>Juan

Just bring your proposal and a basket of money in unmarked bills.

Rob
April 28th 05, 11:38 PM
George Patterson Wrote:

> For that short a timespan, sattelite might be the best way to go.

Can you get broadband service via satellite dish in an RV? Maybe we
could convince someone to put up a hotspot that way.

-R

Jon A.
April 28th 05, 11:45 PM
On 28 Apr 2005 04:59:58 GMT, (Blanche Cohen)
wrote:

>And just how much do you think Airventure grosses that week?
>
>Let's see...how many visitor per day? Lowball it at 10K per day.
>Assume half are EAA members at $20/day and the other half are
>paying the $30. Times 6 days = 1.5M USD.

A real lowball! How about the "camping" fees. If 70% are members,
10K relates to 450 people a day. Let's assume that everyone is a
member and stays 1 day. 200,000 X 20 = 4,000,000. My guess is that
it's around $15 million in admission, camping and the rest. A friend
exhibits, or did exhibit, and was paying $2400 for a 10 foot booth, or
whatever the smallest was, inside. Had to be there and manned the
entire time. How many booths are there and what are the sizes? then
there's the outdoor vendors, the split from the junk sale, the
exorbitant prices the food vendors must pay and everything else.
Makes a fine living for the little pober boy. And to top it all off,
all of those fine people working the event are volunteers. God bless
them, but I wouldn't do that for free for that organization if my life
depended on it. If they paid me $1.00 a day, it would be different.

>Now about those exhibitors...and sponsors, etc. Every single one of
>them pays a substantial fee. Don't know what the fee/sq ft is but
>I've been involved with very large technical trade shows over the
>years and it aint cheap. I'd make a WAG and say that more than
>$25M comes in from the exhibit fees.

Jon A.
April 28th 05, 11:47 PM
Sure it is. By showing what is grossed, you can estimate the
attendance, then extrapolate or WAG what the demand would be. If
there's sufficient demand and you can make money, then you can best
decide if your costs justify the end result.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:47:23 -0400, "Juan Jimenez" >
wrote:

>"Blanche Cohen" > wrote in message
>
>> And just how much do you think Airventure grosses that week?
>
>Just pointing out that Airventure charges to get in is not a justification
>for spending money on a WiFi infrastructure to be used just 2 weeks out of
>the year.

Jay Beckman
April 29th 05, 12:27 AM
"Rob" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> George Patterson Wrote:
>
>> For that short a timespan, sattelite might be the best way to go.
>
> Can you get broadband service via satellite dish in an RV? Maybe we
> could convince someone to put up a hotspot that way.
>
> -R

Incoming, yes.
Outgoing (unless you want to spend big $$$), you need a landline.

Jay

TaxSrv
April 29th 05, 01:04 AM
"Jon A." > wrote:
> A real lowball! How about the "camping" fees. If 70% are members,
> 10K relates to 450 people a day. Let's assume that everyone is a
> member and stays 1 day. 200,000 X 20 = 4,000,000. My guess is that
> it's around $15 million in admission, camping and the rest.

The entire convention has been grossing around $9 million, including
exhibitor fees and advertising. However, gross is irrelevant, as this
is really a business venture. Whether net access is worth the cost is
a matter of whether it will bring in additional attendees, as you
implied in another post. While AirVentrure makes money, overall EAA
has been losing money in recent years, so maybe even relatively small
costs are carefully considered.

Fred F.

Dave
April 29th 05, 03:42 AM
Very, very true! :)

Dave

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:18:31 +0200, Martin Hotze
> wrote:

>Dave > wrote:
>
>> The city is ringed with "dark fiber" , so now it is easy...
>
>the costly part is to light the fiber and keep it lit.
>
>#m

Javier Henderson
April 29th 05, 04:42 AM
(Paul Tomblin) writes:

> In a previous article, "Rob" > said:
> >exhibitors big bucks to access the networks. At the "member center"
> >there were a couple of rows of PCs set up for public web browsing. I
>
> Any chance of plugging your own laptop into their network? I don't like
> typing in passwords on public terminals, because of people sticking
> keystroke loggers on them. If I use my laptop, all my communications will
> be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.

Set up one-time passwords...

-jav

RST Engineering
April 29th 05, 06:29 AM
Well, sir, since I'm running for the board that will spend all this
largesse, why don't you educate me on the matter.

My numbers show a $20M income from all sources.

My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA payroll for the whole
year).

Net to the EAA is about $3M a year from the flyin.

That makes for one HELL of a lot of bratwurst in the differential.

Jim

"TaxSrv" > wrote in message
> "Jon A." > wrote:
>> A real lowball! How about the "camping" fees. If 70% are members,
>> 10K relates to 450 people a day. Let's assume that everyone is a
>> member and stays 1 day. 200,000 X 20 = 4,000,000. My guess is that
>> it's around $15 million in admission, camping and the rest.
>
> The entire convention has been grossing around $9 million, including
> exhibitor fees and advertising. However, gross is irrelevant, as this
> is really a business venture. Whether net access is worth the cost is
> a matter of whether it will bring in additional attendees, as you
> implied in another post. While AirVentrure makes money, overall EAA
> has been losing money in recent years, so maybe even relatively small
> costs are carefully considered.
>
> Fred F.

Juan Jimenez
April 29th 05, 07:08 AM
"Dave Butler" > wrote in message
> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>> But to where? What part of Wittman Field?
>
> Pick a spot. It doesn't have to cover the whole field.
>
>> WiFi will get you about a 300 ft radius, maybe a bit more if you get
>> fancy with the antennas. You then have to deploy an infrastructure to
>> which you can connect the access points. It takes money, and all for 1
>> week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors, volunteers, etc.
>
> I don't think the infrastructure is *so* expensive just to provide a hot
> spot, if you don't try to cover the whole airfield. The local coffehouse
> can afford it.

Which one? You can get coffee at a gazillion places at Airventure! :)

Personally, I bring my own brand, Wake Up The Dead. If you can see the
bottom of the cup and the spoon won't stand up unassisted, it's not coffee,
it's tea. :)

Paul Tomblin
April 29th 05, 07:50 AM
In a previous article, Javier Henderson > said:
(Paul Tomblin) writes:
>> Any chance of plugging your own laptop into their network? I don't like
>> typing in passwords on public terminals, because of people sticking
>> keystroke loggers on them. If I use my laptop, all my communications will
>> be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.
>
>Set up one-time passwords...

And not be able to be able to change them back until I'm home a week
later? Somebody could do a lot of damage in a week.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is

Peter Duniho
April 29th 05, 08:31 AM
(Paul Tomblin) writes:
>>> [...] If I use my laptop, all my communications will
>>> be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.
>>
>>Set up one-time passwords...
>
> And not be able to be able to change them back until I'm home a week
> later? Somebody could do a lot of damage in a week.

If I recall, PuTTY is basically a standalone program (and supports SSH).
Doesn't require any installation. You could just copy that to a thumb drive
or something, and run that on any public terminal.

It's impossible to guarantee a public terminal is completely safe, of
course, with respect to key logging or other capturing. However, there are
ways to enter passwords without actually typing them. Given the relatively
low risk of there being ANY logging installed, along with the even lower
chance that whatever logging is installed would deal with anything other
than keystrokes, IMHO the risk is reduced to no greater than someone hacking
into the system remotely with no assistance from you whatsoever (ie if it
were REALLY that important, you wouldn't allow access from the Internet at
all in the first place).

Finally, depending on the nature of the password-protected resources, you
may be able to have the password reset over the phone, so you don't have to
wait until you get home to change them. This would be true of many
financial web sites, for example.

Pete

Jay Honeck
April 29th 05, 12:59 PM
> My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA payroll for the whole
> year).

Does that figure include the museum? Or is that self-supporting?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

TaxSrv
April 29th 05, 03:37 PM
> > My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA
> > payroll for the whole year).
>
> Does that figure include the museum? Or is that self-supporting?
> --
> Jay Honeck

The museum is a separate organization, and is the one that receives
substantial charitable gifts and bequests. It's "net income" is thus
considerable and cannot be used to subsidize the sister EAA org to
much extent, but lately EAA has consolidated the financial statements.
Whether that's to hide the losses in EAA, Jim Weir can find out at
future Board meetings. :-)

Fred F.

Dave Butler
April 29th 05, 03:38 PM
George Patterson wrote:
> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>

>> Just pointing out that Airventure charges to get in is not a
>> justification for spending money on a WiFi infrastructure to be used
>> just 2 weeks out of the year.
>

> For that short a timespan, sattelite might be the best way to go.

That's what I was thinking, too.

What if someone had DirecWay at home and just brought their dish and receiver
and set it up beside the showers in the N40?

TaxSrv
April 29th 05, 03:38 PM
"RST Engineering" > wrote:
> Well, sir, since I'm running for the board that will spend all this
> largesse, why don't you educate me on the matter.
>
> My numbers show a $20M income from all sources.
>
> My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA
> payroll for the whole year).
>
> Net to the EAA is about $3M a year from the flyin.

That's probably about right for the fly-in itself, though their
financials on the public record don't tell you much. Their IRS tax
forms are on guidestar.org, and yes they have had overall net losses
lately. Not alarmingly large, but they no longer have relative cash
like the old days. And nothing like AOPA.

Once seated on the Board, you might see if they look much to the
future beyond the next AirVenture. In a recent Tom P. editorial,
there was a number quoted which suggests membership is in decline, and
kits are approaching 90% of amateur-built completions. With kits,
plus the internet, you no longer need much support at chapter level
like the old days. Interest in classic planes and warbirds will wane,
as younger generations age into hobby-spending. I suspect also that
EAA chapters are increasingly aging, social clubs, and their push for
light sport aircraft if successful may not change that.

Fred F.

Dave Butler
April 29th 05, 03:41 PM
Jay Beckman wrote:
> "Rob" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>George Patterson Wrote:
>>

>>>For that short a timespan, sattelite might be the best way to go.
>>
>>Can you get broadband service via satellite dish in an RV? Maybe we
>>could convince someone to put up a hotspot that way.
>>
>>-R
>>

> Incoming, yes.
> Outgoing (unless you want to spend big $$$), you need a landline.

Why is that (not disputing, just ignorant)?

Anyway, I don't think anyone is proposing setting up a server on the hotspot.

Jay Masino
April 29th 05, 04:47 PM
In rec.aviation.owning Dave Butler > wrote:
> Jay Beckman wrote:
>> Incoming, yes.
>> Outgoing (unless you want to spend big $$$), you need a landline.
>
> Why is that (not disputing, just ignorant)?
>
> Anyway, I don't think anyone is proposing setting up a server on the hotspot.

I believe that early satellite internet services used the satellite for
inbound traffic and a telephone line for outbound traffic, but if you
look at the web page for services like DirecWay, you'll see that they
uplink using the satellite, too. It's just not very fast (50kbps).

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Jay Masino
April 29th 05, 04:53 PM
In rec.aviation.owning Dave Butler > wrote:
> What if someone had DirecWay at home and just brought their dish and receiver
> and set it up beside the showers in the N40?

Considering the "home" version of Direcway seems to be 500kbps download
and 50kbps upload, I'm not sure I'd want to share it with a bunch of
other people over a WiFi connection. It would probably be pretty slow.
In addition, the ping times are real long, so it often seems even slower
than the throughput would suggest.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
http://www.oceancityairport.com
http://www.oc-adolfos.com

Paul Tomblin
April 29th 05, 05:44 PM
In a previous article, Martin Hotze > said:
>Dave > wrote:
>> Very, very true! :)
>as we are already off topic ... it seems that you are running your own
>newsserver (news.rogers.com?) how about a peering?

Rogers.com is the largest cable (TV and internet) company in Canada. They
also do cell phones. I don't think Dave is their news admin.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Fly the airplane, then work the problem"

Peter Duniho
April 29th 05, 06:41 PM
"Jay Masino" > wrote in message
> Considering the "home" version of Direcway seems to be 500kbps download
> and 50kbps upload, I'm not sure I'd want to share it with a bunch of
> other people over a WiFi connection. It would probably be pretty slow.

It would be slow no matter how you share it. :)

> In addition, the ping times are real long, so it often seems even slower
> than the throughput would suggest.

Ping times shouldn't be more than about 500ms add-on. How many people are
really going to notice a half-second difference in response time?

I certainly would agree that you couldn't share a link that slow (500kpbs
down/50kbps up) with many people before it got completely congested. 10
people all downloading at the same time, and they all might as well be on
dial-up. But I don't see how ping times are an issue. It's not like people
are going to be playing Quake from the North 40. :)

Pete

Ron Natalie
April 29th 05, 10:47 PM
TaxSrv wrote:

> The entire convention has been grossing around $9 million, including
> exhibitor fees and advertising. However, gross is irrelevant, as this
> is really a business venture. Whether net access is worth the cost is
> a matter of whether it will bring in additional attendees, as you
> implied in another post. While AirVentrure makes money, overall EAA
> has been losing money in recent years, so maybe even relatively small
> costs are carefully considered.

The last time I looked at the public numbers the EAA and the foundation
each netted about a million on a five million gross for Airventure.
It's a big large portion of the annual revenue for both organizations.

Jon A.
April 30th 05, 01:41 AM
I think you'll find that board member or not, you'll be excluded from
much of the financial reporting. Ask the present board members if
they can account for all of Tommy's salary and "benefits", or better
said, if Tommy will account for the $400,000 in expense money above
his salary.

Dig down deep before you enter this world.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:29:23 -0700, "RST Engineering"
> wrote:

>Well, sir, since I'm running for the board that will spend all this
>largesse, why don't you educate me on the matter.
>
>My numbers show a $20M income from all sources.
>
>My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA payroll for the whole
>year).
>
>Net to the EAA is about $3M a year from the flyin.
>
>That makes for one HELL of a lot of bratwurst in the differential.
>

>Jim
>

>"TaxSrv" > wrote in message
>> "Jon A." > wrote:
>>> A real lowball! How about the "camping" fees. If 70% are members,
>>> 10K relates to 450 people a day. Let's assume that everyone is a
>>> member and stays 1 day. 200,000 X 20 = 4,000,000. My guess is that
>>> it's around $15 million in admission, camping and the rest.
>>
>> The entire convention has been grossing around $9 million, including
>> exhibitor fees and advertising. However, gross is irrelevant, as this
>> is really a business venture. Whether net access is worth the cost is
>> a matter of whether it will bring in additional attendees, as you
>> implied in another post. While AirVentrure makes money, overall EAA
>> has been losing money in recent years, so maybe even relatively small
>> costs are carefully considered.
>>
>> Fred F.

George Patterson
April 30th 05, 02:06 AM
Dave Butler wrote:

> Anyway, I don't think anyone is proposing setting up a server on the
> hotspot.

Actually, I was sort of leaning that way. Setup time for a satellite link is
minimal, compared to a T1 or T3. About 15 years ago, it was common practice in
some places to set up satellite feeds for bank ATMs for the short run until the
bugs could be worked out of the cable setup.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

George Patterson
April 30th 05, 02:10 AM
Juan Jimenez wrote:

> Personally, I bring my own brand, Wake Up The Dead.

I like Disobedient Donkey (AKA "bad ass"). I gave serious thought to raiding my
401K to set up a franchise. Of course, what I don't know about retail would fill
several books.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Roger
April 30th 05, 03:11 AM
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:41:06 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
> wrote:

>> The Linksys WRT54G wireless access point/router supports (at least it does
>> if you get the Sveasoft firmware, and believe me, you don't want it
>> without it) a mode where each WAP can relay traffic for all the other WAPs
>> in its range, so you can chain a bunch of them together wirelessly with
>> only one connected to the cable/dsl/fat pipe. You can also turn up the
>> power on them and increase the range.
>
>Ha. We tried the "repeater" method at the hotel, in an effort to adequately
>cover two 3-story buildings.
>
>It turned out to be incredibly unstable. All it would take was a 2 second
>power outage, and the repeater "lost its mind" and would not recover -- a

That's why they make UPSs.
My tower gets hit by lightening about three times a year. The last
time, the lights went out, The alarms on the UPSs sounded, the network
rebooted (probably went down from the voltage spike - It's hard wired)
and other than the couple second pause on the network everything kept
running. Other than being slow, wireless should be just as reliable
even using repeaters. There are repeaters and there are the WAPs.
which are quite different animals and I don't know which you tried.

I have the wireless equipment but it was just too slow for my
application. Backing up a 100 or so gig with four computers at even
100 Base T is agonizingly slow. OTOH defragging a computer with 500
plus Gig in EIDE drive capacity total in three drives plus two 200 Gig
SATA drives in a spanned and stripped array seems to take forever.

>completely untenable solution in a commercial application. Other times it
>would lose its connection for no apparent reason at all, and have to be
>"rebooted" from scratch -- a time consuming, aggravating affair.

It sounds to me like you had an interfering signal, or some bad
noise. Even another system near by can some times do it.

A friend has/had 2.4 gig phones, a 2.4 Gig X-10 web cam and a 2.4 Gig
wireless network. He found the phone would trash the network and the
signal from the web cam. Those in turn would trash the signal from
the phone. He now has 5 gig phones and the rest of the system is
happy.

With wireless, I'm waiting until they get the speed up for my network.
For Internet connections you don't need anything faster than 10 Base T
and most wireless networks far surpass that with 802.11g being almost
as fast as 100 Base T in most installations. With 4 large computers
and over two terabytes of storage, I'm now on a gigabit network. That
means the drive I/O is the limiting factor on most file transfers.
Even the SATA RAID isn't that fast.

But wireless is getting there. although I'd suggest using a name
other than default for D-Link, or Linksys for ... well...LinkSys <:-))
which I'd bet over 60 to 70% of the users are doing and they are doing
it without encryption enabled..

Good Luck,

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Our solution was a separate DSL line and network in both buildings. A bit
>more expensive, but rock-solid.

Martin Hotze
April 30th 05, 10:44 AM
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:44:36 +0000 (UTC), Paul Tomblin wrote:

>In a previous article, Martin Hotze > said:
>>Dave > wrote:
>>> Very, very true! :)
>>as we are already off topic ... it seems that you are running your own
>>newsserver (news.rogers.com?) how about a peering?
>
>Rogers.com is the largest cable (TV and internet) company in Canada. They
>also do cell phones. I don't think Dave is their news admin.

Somehow I got the impression that his last name was Rogers. Never heard of
rogers.com, but I'll check their website. Thanks for the info.

martin
--
<http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg>

Cub Driver
April 30th 05, 11:29 AM
My airport doesn't even take credit cards!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Darrel Toepfer
April 30th 05, 12:39 PM
Paul Tomblin wrote:

> Rogers.com is the largest cable (TV and internet) company in Canada.

A big source of spam to the north too, behind Videotron, Shaw, NF.net
and Sasktel... Sadly they all pale in comparison to Comcast though...

Martin Hotze
April 30th 05, 12:57 PM
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:11:41 -0400, Roger wrote:

>For Internet connections you don't need anything faster than 10 Base T
>and most wireless networks far surpass that with 802.11g being almost
>as fast as 100 Base T in most installations.

only if you run your wired 100 Base T in half duplex mode.
..11g is 54 mbit/s half duplex, overhead included (there are 108 mbit/s
systems available, but still half duplex), then wireless is hub like
(broadcast), and wired you most likely have a switch (and not a hub).

but I am with you on the internet connection issue. you most likely don't
need much more than .11_b_ - unless you have a fast upstream (*hehe*).

#m

--
<http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg>

Jay Masino
April 30th 05, 10:03 PM
In rec.aviation.owning Peter Duniho > wrote:
> Ping times shouldn't be more than about 500ms add-on. How many people are
> really going to notice a half-second difference in response time?
>
> I certainly would agree that you couldn't share a link that slow (500kpbs
> down/50kbps up) with many people before it got completely congested. 10
> people all downloading at the same time, and they all might as well be on
> dial-up. But I don't see how ping times are an issue. It's not like people
> are going to be playing Quake from the North 40. :)

Yea, you might be right. In my head, I've been comparing it to a
satellite link we had between two NASA centers (Goddard and Wallops) and
how using ssh was painful. We even tried running PC Anywhere over it. It
really sucked, and we had 900 kbps in each direction. 525ms ping time.
Of course, both of those apps would be far more sensitive to response time
than a web browser.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
http://www.oceancityairport.com
http://www.oc-adolfos.com

Peter Duniho
April 30th 05, 10:53 PM
"Jay Masino" > wrote in message
> Yea, you might be right. In my head, I've been comparing it to a
> satellite link we had between two NASA centers (Goddard and Wallops) and
> how using ssh was painful. We even tried running PC Anywhere over it. It
> really sucked, and we had 900 kbps in each direction. 525ms ping time.
> Of course, both of those apps would be far more sensitive to response time
> than a web browser.

Exactly.

I'd expect ssh to be a worst-case scenario, since you're getting echo from
the other end. Highly noticeable to the user.

PC Anywhere should be less noticeable, since throughput is more important
than ping time, but the interactive nature would still allow the user to
notice an increase in ping time.

For more conventional stuff, like email, web browsing, and (of course :) )
newsgroups, I would expect the user to have very little perception, if any,
of the increase in ping time. The user is already used to the "provide
input, wait a little while for the response" in those scenarios.

Of course, even for the more interactive tasks, the user can run ahead of
the link. The *perception* will be of a slow link, but in reality, there
will only be a half-second delay for each operation.

I would guess that if the choice is between no link, and a link with a 500
ms lag in it, many people would choose the latter. Me, one of the things I
like about vacations is getting away from the computer. :)

Pete

Jay Honeck
May 1st 05, 11:58 PM
> My airport doesn't even take credit cards!

No way! With gas at $3.40 per gallon? Who the heck walks around with that
much cash in their wallets?

And don't even tell me they take checks...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Peter R.
May 2nd 05, 03:08 AM
Jay Honeck > wrote:

> No way! With gas at $3.40 per gallon? Who the heck walks around with that
> much cash in their wallets?
>
> And don't even tell me they take checks...

In planning my across-the-US trip for late May, I found a couple of
relatively inexpensive fuel stops, thanks to Airnav.com.

When I called these airports to inquire about fuel prices, availability,
etc., two of them told me they do not take credit cards. I jokingly asked
if they take out of state checks and they answered, "of course we do!"

--
Peter

Morgans
May 2nd 05, 04:21 AM
"Peter R." > wrote

> In planning my across-the-US trip for late May, I found a couple of
> relatively inexpensive fuel stops, thanks to Airnav.com.
>
> When I called these airports to inquire about fuel prices, availability,
> etc., two of them told me they do not take credit cards. I jokingly asked
> if they take out of state checks and they answered, "of course we do!"

It isn't all that hard to figure out. They are selling fuel as cheap as
they can, and do not want to lose the percentage of the sale they would have
to pay to the card company.
--
Jim in NC

Peter R.
May 2nd 05, 04:37 AM
Morgans > wrote:

> It isn't all that hard to figure out. They are selling fuel as cheap as
> they can, and do not want to lose the percentage of the sale they would have
> to pay to the card company.

I wasn't questioning the obvious. Rather, I was simply surprised that in
this age of widespread fraud a business would still take an out of state
check.

There is certainly a cost up to the amount of purchase in handling out of
state checks that are returned for insufficient funds. Apparently the
percentage of checks that actually are returned must be very close to zero,
which says something about the quality of their customers.

--
Peter

Jay Honeck
May 2nd 05, 01:01 PM
>> It isn't all that hard to figure out. They are selling fuel as cheap as
>> they can, and do not want to lose the percentage of the sale they would
>> have
>> to pay to the card company.
>
> I wasn't questioning the obvious. Rather, I was simply surprised that in
> this age of widespread fraud a business would still take an out of state
> check.
>
> There is certainly a cost up to the amount of purchase in handling out of
> state checks that are returned for insufficient funds. Apparently the
> percentage of checks that actually are returned must be very close to
> zero,
> which says something about the quality of their customers.

For sure. One returned check for a $150 fill up will eat up more than a
month's worth of the 3% they'd be paying to have a credit card machine.
Which, of course, they could pass along to their customers, as do we all.
(Business people, that is...)

Which, of course, we would all appreciate, given the relative convenience of
using a self-serve pump with a credit card reader. Too often I've landed
in some out-of-the-way airport (on a Sunday, naturally) only to find a
padlocked FBO and no credit card reader on the pump...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

George Patterson
May 3rd 05, 04:01 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> For sure. One returned check for a $150 fill up will eat up more than a
> month's worth of the 3% they'd be paying to have a credit card machine.
> Which, of course, they could pass along to their customers, as do we all.

Maybe you would do that, but they have the N-number and check number, and in
many States, bouncing a check falls under the fraud statutes. Bounce one in
Tennessee and fail to make it good (with penalties) within ten days, and you're
looking at 2 to 10 years. And they *will* extradite.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

Jay Honeck
May 3rd 05, 04:15 AM
> Maybe you would do that, but they have the N-number and check number, and
> in many States, bouncing a check falls under the fraud statutes. Bounce
> one in Tennessee and fail to make it good (with penalties) within ten
> days, and you're looking at 2 to 10 years. And they *will* extradite.

While I would love to believe this to be true, in my experience law
enforcement regards a bounced check as a civil matter.

Personally, I would institute the death penalty for kiting checks -- but,
since most people regard that as a bit extreme, we simply (and regretfully)
don't accept personal checks at all.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

W P Dixon
May 3rd 05, 04:29 AM
Yep Jay,
They usually take bounced checks pretty serious in Tennessee. I am not sure
of the amount but over a certain figure is considered a felony..I am
thinking 500 bucks, but it may be lower than that. I try not to bounce any
so I don't know! ;) But you can and will go to jail for doing it. Maybe the
difference between misdemeanor and felony is county jail and state pen? hee
hee

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

George Patterson
May 3rd 05, 04:45 AM
W P Dixon wrote:

> Maybe the difference between misdemeanor and felony is county jail
> and state pen?

Pretty close. Misdemeanors carry sentences of less than 1 year. There's also a
limit on the fine that can be levied, but I'm sure it's gone up since the last
time I knew any details (used to be $1,000 back around 1970). Sentences of less
than 1 year are typically served in the county jail. Felony convictions are
served in State penitentiaries.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.

W P Dixon
May 3rd 05, 05:07 AM
Yeah,
That's pretty much how I had it figured. So don't write bad checks around
my house, or you go to the big house and become Bubba's love slave!!! HAHAHA
And I think over the state line in Virginia they behead you if your
exhaust system is not up to code. Yeah I am just kidding there, but Virginia
is terrible at harassing drivers. Always lots of police reports in the paper
( they put the Scott, Lee and Wise County , VA. in the Kingsport, TN paper)
with lots and lots of out of state people being pulled over and fined for
window tint. Hole in exhaust pipe, etc. etc.
But oh well we go over to VA and get groceries because their sales tax
is so low. So I just keep my fingers crossed the whole time I am in The Old
Dominion.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech
"George Patterson" > wrote in message
>W P Dixon wrote:
>>
>> Maybe the difference between misdemeanor and felony is county jail and
>> state pen?
>
> Pretty close. Misdemeanors carry sentences of less than 1 year. There's
> also a limit on the fine that can be levied, but I'm sure it's gone up
> since the last time I knew any details (used to be $1,000 back around
> 1970). Sentences of less than 1 year are typically served in the county
> jail. Felony convictions are served in State penitentiaries.
>
> George Patterson
> There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
> mashed potatoes.

Jay Honeck
May 4th 05, 02:50 PM
> And I think over the state line in Virginia they behead you if your
> exhaust system is not up to code.

I wish Iowa had something like that. I've got a neighbor who takes great
pride in the fact that his '73 Dodge Dart still runs. Unfortunately, he's
kept it original stock -- including the muffler...and he goes to work EARLY.

I've been sticking pins in little Dodge Dart dolls for months now. Luckily,
I think it blew a head gasket the other day, so my voo-doo finally worked!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
May 4th 05, 08:48 PM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> I've been sticking pins in little Dodge Dart dolls for months now.
> Luckily, I think it blew a head gasket the other day, so my voo-doo
> finally worked!

....and you think this will kill that slant six? I laugh at you. Haha. He'll
probably drive it that way for months :-)

Voo-doo the "brain box" on the firewall. That'll stop a slant six Dart every
time - easy fix if you have a spare and recognize the symptoms though. Other
voo-doo point are the tie-rods and/or rusted A-frames. Snap! Doh.

Starters are too easy to replace (come at it from the top, like you're
changing a spark plug) and engines never die - don't waste your mojo there.

Dart 225 slant six ...........3 (1973, 75, 76)
Dart 318 V-8 ..................1 (1974)
Aspen 225 slant six .......1 (1979?)
Total ...............................(5)

Montblack

Jay Honeck
May 4th 05, 10:05 PM
> Voo-doo the "brain box" on the firewall. That'll stop a slant six Dart
> every time - easy fix if you have a spare and recognize the symptoms
> though. Other voo-doo point are the tie-rods and/or rusted A-frames. Snap!
> Doh.

Hey, thanks!

You guys still coming to Iowa City tomorrow?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Frank
May 4th 05, 10:25 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

>> And I think over the state line in Virginia they behead you if your
>> exhaust system is not up to code.
>
> I wish Iowa had something like that. I've got a neighbor who takes great
> pride in the fact that his '73 Dodge Dart still runs. Unfortunately, he's
> kept it original stock -- including the muffler...and he goes to work
> EARLY.
>
> I've been sticking pins in little Dodge Dart dolls for months now.
> Luckily, I think it blew a head gasket the other day, so my voo-doo
> finally worked!
>
> ;-)

Just be grateful you're not in Milwaukee. The Harleys are starting to appear
again and as we all know they are exempt from any of the muffler laws.

I should be able to charge my neighbor the cost of my Tivo. Until I bought
it I'd miss 15 minutes of dialog every time he'd go somewhere on his "hog".

--
Frank....H

Jay Honeck
May 4th 05, 10:33 PM
> Just be grateful you're not in Milwaukee. The Harleys are starting to
> appear
> again and as we all know they are exempt from any of the muffler laws.
>
> I should be able to charge my neighbor the cost of my Tivo. Until I bought
> it I'd miss 15 minutes of dialog every time he'd go somewhere on his
> "hog".

Hee hee! I've lived all over Wisconsin, including Milwaukee -- and I know
EXACTLY what you mean.

Quite frankly, I just don't understand many Harley riders. I've ridden
motorcycles for 28 years, and have NEVER felt the urge to drill holes in my
mufflers -- yet, for some odd reason, Harley owners feel compelled to make
themselves as annoying as possible.

I suppose they are the equivalent of the guy in the 210 that flies over Iowa
City at high RPM and low altitude every few days...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
May 5th 05, 01:23 AM
("Jay Honeck" wrote)
> You guys still coming to Iowa City tomorrow?

Yup.

Mont and Black

Jay Masino
May 5th 05, 12:48 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:
> Quite frankly, I just don't understand many Harley riders. I've ridden
> motorcycles for 28 years, and have NEVER felt the urge to drill holes in my
> mufflers -- yet, for some odd reason, Harley owners feel compelled to make
> themselves as annoying as possible.

The reasoning they use is louder=safer. We all know that car drivers tend
to ignore motorcyclists. If your bike is loud, it give the drivers
another clue that you might be in their blind spot.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
http://www.oceancityairport.com
http://www.oc-adolfos.com

Jay Honeck
May 5th 05, 03:34 PM
> The reasoning they use is louder=safer. We all know that car drivers tend
> to ignore motorcyclists. If your bike is loud, it give the drivers
> another clue that you might be in their blind spot.

That's pretty funny. Especially given the riding prowess of the Harley
riders I've had the misfortune of riding with...

(Now before anyone blasts me, I realize that most Harley riders are safe,
and nowadays are probably my dentist. I rode with these guys in the 1980s,
and -- aside from stopping at every Pabst sign for 300 miles, and
deliberately cutting off auto traffic on a 4-lane highway -- they were great
riders...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Masino
May 5th 05, 03:44 PM
Jay Honeck > wrote:
> That's pretty funny. Especially given the riding prowess of the Harley
> riders I've had the misfortune of riding with...

It's no funnier than riding a Goldwing. :)

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
http://www.oceancityairport.com
http://www.oc-adolfos.com

Frank
May 5th 05, 08:21 PM
Jay Masino wrote:

> Jay Honeck > wrote:
>> Quite frankly, I just don't understand many Harley riders. I've ridden
>> motorcycles for 28 years, and have NEVER felt the urge to drill holes in
>> my mufflers -- yet, for some odd reason, Harley owners feel compelled to
>> make themselves as annoying as possible.

I don't get it either. The really ironic part is that most of these guys are
well to do types (that's about the only kind that can afford Harleys
nowadays), hardly "rebels". A friends neighbor is a wealthy business owner
with a Ferrari and a Mercedes SL in his 6 car garage, yet the bike has
straight pipes.

> The reasoning they use is louder=safer. We all know that car drivers tend
> to ignore motorcyclists. If your bike is loud, it give the drivers
> another clue that you might be in their blind spot.

Then we should all take the mufflers off our cars too, after all, I want to
be safer too.....

If they're not paying attention then noise isn't going to matter. Around
here anyway there are so many bikes the noise doesn't make them stand out.

--
Frank....H

Jay Masino
May 5th 05, 08:43 PM
Frank > wrote:
> I don't get it either. The really ironic part is that most of these guys are
> well to do types (that's about the only kind that can afford Harleys
> nowadays), hardly "rebels". A friends neighbor is a wealthy business owner
> with a Ferrari and a Mercedes SL in his 6 car garage, yet the bike has
> straight pipes.

"Rebels" aren't defined by their salaries.

>> The reasoning they use is louder=safer. We all know that car drivers tend
>> to ignore motorcyclists. If your bike is loud, it give the drivers
>> another clue that you might be in their blind spot.
>>
> Then we should all take the mufflers off our cars too, after all, I want to
> be safer too.....

That's ridiculous. There's a significant difference between car/car
interaction vs motorcycle/car. Motorcycles are regularly ignored by car
drivers. Everyone who's ridden any amount of time has had cars cut in
front of them or change lanes into the motorcycle's path.

> If they're not paying attention then noise isn't going to matter. Around
> here anyway there are so many bikes the noise doesn't make them stand out.

You would think that would be the case, but in practice, every additional
thing you can do to make the cars notice you makes you safer.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino ! ! !
http://www.oceancityairport.com
http://www.oc-adolfos.com

Morgans
May 5th 05, 09:48 PM
"Jay Masino" > wrote

> That's ridiculous. There's a significant difference between car/car
> interaction vs motorcycle/car. Motorcycles are regularly ignored by car
> drivers. Everyone who's ridden any amount of time has had cars cut in
> front of them or change lanes into the motorcycle's path.

You all are missing the point. They want to be a thorn in your side. They
want to **** you off; to get a reaction. They often even point them up, so
they blare right in your face.

Most of all, they want attention. Everyone should see and hear them, and
their long hair, and tattoos.
--
Jim in NC

Frank
May 6th 05, 06:35 PM
Jay Masino wrote:

> Frank > wrote:
>> I don't get it either. The really ironic part is that most of these guys
>> are well to do types (that's about the only kind that can afford Harleys
>> nowadays), hardly "rebels". A friends neighbor is a wealthy business
>> owner with a Ferrari and a Mercedes SL in his 6 car garage, yet the bike
>> has straight pipes.
>
> "Rebels" aren't defined by their salaries.

Certainly not. But it is hard to take seriously a guy who's all "corporate"
Monday thru Friday and dons biker's garb on the weekends. "Big hat, no
cattle" I believe is the expression.

>>> The reasoning they use is louder=safer. We all know that car drivers
>>> tend
>>> to ignore motorcyclists. If your bike is loud, it give the drivers
>>> another clue that you might be in their blind spot.
>>>
>> Then we should all take the mufflers off our cars too, after all, I want
>> to be safer too.....
>
> That's ridiculous. There's a significant difference between car/car
> interaction vs motorcycle/car. Motorcycles are regularly ignored by car
> drivers. Everyone who's ridden any amount of time has had cars cut in
> front of them or change lanes into the motorcycle's path.

I have spent considerable time on a bike. I find I get cut off just as often
in the car as the bike.

It's a bit surprised to learn that anyone really takes the "loud pipes save
lives" thing seriously. It's a joke.

If you actually believe it to be true then you'll have to explain why the
straight pipe crowd is pretty much limited to Harleys. Surely the riders of
other makes would want to be equally "safe".

All my toys (bike, plane, sporty car) are street legal, and that's all I ask
of anyone else. There are noise limits for a reason. If the Harley crowd
want exemptions based on "safety" they should obtain them legally,
hopefully by supplying supporting evidence.

Loud pipes annoy neighbors.

>> If they're not paying attention then noise isn't going to matter. Around
>> here anyway there are so many bikes the noise doesn't make them stand
>> out.
>
> You would think that would be the case, but in practice, every additional
> thing you can do to make the cars notice you makes you safer.

How about really bright, flashing lights? Air horns going off every 5
seconds or so? Strobe lights?

--
Frank....H

Dave
May 11th 05, 12:44 PM
Hi Martin!

I have been away for a while, just catching up with this late
post...

Nope, as a following post indicates, Rogers is a major ISP
in Canada.

Great service and bilstering fast connections....

And their customers include the usual crop of spamers... :(

They are trying to close them down, but it's a cat & mouse
game, same as other ISP's :(

Cheers!

Dave

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 13:29:20 +0200, Martin Hotze
> wrote:

>Dave > wrote:
>
>> Very, very true! :)
>>
>> Dave
>>

>as we are already off topic ... it seems that you are running your own
>newsserver (news.rogers.com?) how about a peering?
>
>see http://service.hotze.com/usenet/peering.htm for details.
>

>#m

>> >the costly part is to light the fiber and keep it lit.
>> >
>> >#m

John Doe
July 9th 05, 05:09 PM
Does your cell phone get a digital signal there? I just plug my laptop into
my cellphone/modem and I get pretty good internet speeds through that. Much
less hassle than trying to find a hotspot anywhere.

"Dave Butler" > wrote in message

> On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access
> at Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very
> nearby.
>
> I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on
> the stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.
>
> Is there any chance EAA would do something like that?
>
> Any idea how to approach EAA or whom to contact about it?
>
> How about some entrepreneur/vendor/display booth setting up an access
> point on the grounds, either for a fee or as a public service for the
> advertising value?
>
> Dave

Newps
July 10th 05, 04:04 AM
John Doe wrote:

> Does your cell phone get a digital signal there? I just plug my laptop into
> my cellphone/modem and I get pretty good internet speeds through that. Much
> less hassle than trying to find a hotspot anywhere.

On a related issue I recently upgraded my phone to a Treo 600. I am a
Verizon customer. This phone is digital only, no analog service. I
flew to the Twin Cities and back in the last week. Eastbound I was at
7500 MSL about half the way and then about 3500 MSL the rest of the way.
Westbound I was at about 1500 AGL all the way to keep my tailwind. I
haven't received my adapter yet for my Cellset so I didn't make any
phone calls. I checked my email about 25 times in each direction. If I
had three or more bars the phone would connect and send or receive
email. If I had two it was hit or miss. Never with one bar. Until I
get my connector for my cellset I will assume a phone call will work the
same as a data call.

Roger
July 10th 05, 07:42 AM
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 16:09:40 GMT, "John Doe" > wrote:

>Does your cell phone get a digital signal there? I just plug my laptop into
>my cellphone/modem and I get pretty good internet speeds through that. Much
>less hassle than trying to find a hotspot anywhere.

If you and 100 others are tying to use a hot spot I think the cell
phone would be a better way to go. <:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>"Dave Butler" > wrote in message
>>
>> On a related note: there was a thread here earlier about wireless access
>> at Oshkosh. IIRC the sad conclusion was that there was no access very
>> nearby.
>>
>> I wonder whether anyone has contacted EAA and requested that they get on
>> the stick and provide WiFi on the North 40.
>>
>> Is there any chance EAA would do something like that?
>>
>> Any idea how to approach EAA or whom to contact about it?
>>
>> How about some entrepreneur/vendor/display booth setting up an access
>> point on the grounds, either for a fee or as a public service for the
>> advertising value?
>>
>> Dave

Roger
July 10th 05, 08:08 AM
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:04:17 -0600, Newps > wrote:

>John Doe wrote:
>
>> Does your cell phone get a digital signal there? I just plug my laptop into
>> my cellphone/modem and I get pretty good internet speeds through that. Much
>> less hassle than trying to find a hotspot anywhere.
>
>On a related issue I recently upgraded my phone to a Treo 600. I am a
>Verizon customer. This phone is digital only, no analog service. I
>flew to the Twin Cities and back in the last week. Eastbound I was at
>7500 MSL about half the way and then about 3500 MSL the rest of the way.
> Westbound I was at about 1500 AGL all the way to keep my tailwind. I
>haven't received my adapter yet for my Cellset so I didn't make any
>phone calls. I checked my email about 25 times in each direction. If I
>had three or more bars the phone would connect and send or receive
>email. If I had two it was hit or miss. Never with one bar. Until I
>get my connector for my cellset I will assume a phone call will work the
>same as a data call.

My phone has always worked at Oshkosh any where on the field with a
full scale signal and that goes way back into the early 90's.

OTOH I've had guys wanting to borrow mine because theirs didn't find a
signal.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Maule Driver
July 11th 05, 08:32 PM
My experience (Treo 600 Sprint) has been that SMS messaging and email
work but voice calls rarely work above 2-3K. And that's independent of
the number of bars - 1 or better seems make txt messages work.

I would be interested in hearing about your voice experienc

Newps wrote:

> On a related issue I recently upgraded my phone to a Treo 600. I am a
> Verizon customer. This phone is digital only, no analog service. I
> flew to the Twin Cities and back in the last week. Eastbound I was at
> 7500 MSL about half the way and then about 3500 MSL the rest of the way.
> Westbound I was at about 1500 AGL all the way to keep my tailwind. I
> haven't received my adapter yet for my Cellset so I didn't make any
> phone calls. I checked my email about 25 times in each direction. If I
> had three or more bars the phone would connect and send or receive
> email. If I had two it was hit or miss. Never with one bar. Until I
> get my connector for my cellset I will assume a phone call will work the
> same as a data call.

Newps
July 12th 05, 03:47 PM
Maule Driver wrote:

> My experience (Treo 600 Sprint) has been that SMS messaging and email
> work but voice calls rarely work above 2-3K. And that's independent of
> the number of bars - 1 or better seems make txt messages work.
>
> I would be interested in hearing about your voice experienc

When I get the adapter I'll try it out.

Google