PDA

View Full Version : F-8J APQ-124 MAGDARR question

Guy Alcala
May 12th 05, 11:59 PM
Any of you F-8 guys have experience with the J's radar? I
have a source which states (and has a photo of what is
stated to be the APQ-124 control head indicating the same)
that the APQ-124 had a Pulse-doppler mode as well as Pulse,
similar to the APG-59 of the F-4J. Was this mode actually
available on the APQ-124 and, if so, how well did it work?
TIA,

Guy

John Carrier
May 13th 05, 02:08 AM
"Guy Alcala" > wrote in message
. ..
> Any of you F-8 guys have experience with the J's radar? I
> have a source which states (and has a photo of what is
> stated to be the APQ-124 control head indicating the same)
> that the APQ-124 had a Pulse-doppler mode as well as Pulse,
> similar to the APG-59 of the F-4J. Was this mode actually
> available on the APQ-124 and, if so, how well did it work?
> TIA,

Yes. We're workin' with 29 year old memories here, Guy. Last flight in
March 1976.

No, the radar didn't have a PD mode. IIRC, there was a switch position
(non-functional) for PD, indicating that the designers intended to have it.
Given the lack of a radar missile (AIM-9C notwithstanding, never carried it,
never even SAW it), pretty much a moot point.

Not a great radar (albeit better than that installed in the D/H and C/K).
Our intercept doctrine could be described on a business card: "Give us a
Talley Ho!"

R / John

Guy Alcala
May 13th 05, 12:15 PM
John Carrier wrote:

> "Guy Alcala" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Any of you F-8 guys have experience with the J's radar? I
> > have a source which states (and has a photo of what is
> > stated to be the APQ-124 control head indicating the same)
> > that the APQ-124 had a Pulse-doppler mode as well as Pulse,
> > similar to the APG-59 of the F-4J. Was this mode actually
> > available on the APQ-124 and, if so, how well did it work?
> > TIA,
>
> Yes. We're workin' with 29 year old memories here, Guy. Last flight in
> March 1976.
>
> No, the radar didn't have a PD mode. IIRC, there was a switch position
> (non-functional) for PD, indicating that the designers intended to have it.

I wondered if that might have been the case, kind of like the APS-107 (actually
an RWR not a radar) switch in the air force's F-4Es-- the system was never
installed in the F-4E. BTW, your memory is quite accurate. The radar function
switch has positions labeled OFF, STBY, PULSE, PD (this and PULSE under an arc
labeled OPR) and EMER.

> Given the lack of a radar missile (AIM-9C notwithstanding, never carried it,
> never even SAW it), pretty much a moot point.

If the PD mode had actually been available and worked, I'd think look-down
capability would be useful. But that assumes that it and the F-4J's APG-59 PD
mode worked looking down over land. Anyone care to comment on how well the
Phantom's PD mode worked (when the radar worked at all, that is) over water and
land?

> Not a great radar (albeit better than that installed in the D/H and C/K).

How'd the APQ-94 in the E stack up,and what if any changes were there between it
and the J's -124? There's also mention of an APQ-149, which may apply to the
F-8H as an upgrade of the APQ-83 in the D, as they use the same control head.

<snip>

Guy

Google