PDA

View Full Version : Airmap 100 Obsolete. Need recent database

Mike Palmer
May 13th 05, 07:49 AM
Rats. I just called LEI Extras to buy a database update for our
Lowrance Airmap 100. They said they no longer offer GPS updates for that
unit. Database has gotten too big.

They offer a rebate on newer units if you turn your old one in -

$100 off the Airmap 500
$175 off the Airmap 1000
$225 off the Airmap 2000

(Anyone gotten a better offer?)

No thanks. I'll wait for Garmin to put Bluetooth in the 3600a. (And
maybe bring the screen up to 256 colors.)

The gal said Lowrance stopped offering the update about 3 months ago.

If anyone has a recent database (like Fall '04 or later) and has sent or
is sending their old 100 in for rebate (so won't be using the database),
I'd sure like to have the database update.

Please contact me at

mppalmer at a o l . c o m

Thanks,

Mike Palmer <><

Darrel Toepfer
May 13th 05, 12:28 PM
Mike Palmer wrote:

> Rats. I just called LEI Extras to buy a database update for our
> Lowrance Airmap 100. They said they no longer offer GPS updates for that
> unit. Database has gotten too big.
>
> They offer a rebate on newer units if you turn your old one in -
>
> $100 off the Airmap 500
> $175 off the Airmap 1000
> $225 off the Airmap 2000
>
> (Anyone gotten a better offer?)
>
> No thanks. I'll wait for Garmin to put Bluetooth in the 3600a. (And
> maybe bring the screen up to 256 colors.)
>
> The gal said Lowrance stopped offering the update about 3 months ago.
>
> If anyone has a recent database (like Fall '04 or later) and has sent or
> is sending their old 100 in for rebate (so won't be using the database),
> I'd sure like to have the database update.
>
> Please contact me at
>
> mppalmer at a o l . c o m
>
> Thanks,

Database updates are free here: http://pocketfms.com if you have a palm
or notebook in the cockpit... So any serial port equipped GPS will never
geaux out use...

Juan Jimenez
May 13th 05, 03:35 PM
"Mike Palmer" > wrote in message

> No thanks. I'll wait for Garmin to put Bluetooth in the 3600a. (And
> maybe bring the screen up to 256 colors.)

The 3600a already has a 256-colors screen.

> The gal said Lowrance stopped offering the update about 3 months ago.

Did you call Gulf Coast or any of the other avionics suppliers to see if
they have it? I am surprised that Lowrance thinks it can just stop offering
the database updates and not allow anyone else to make them available. Are
they going to make themselves responsible for any issues that arise out of
this?

Juan

MikePalmer
May 14th 05, 07:34 AM
> The 3600a already has a 256-colors screen.

You're correct. My mistake. I misread Garmin's "16 bit color" as 16 colors.

Okay, so all they have to add is Bluetooth (and maybe a slightly faster
processor) and I'll bite.

Someone told me Lowrance is going to add terrain to their 2000C. But if
I can use a $1000 product outside the cockpit, that's more utility for
the money.

Mike Palmer <><

Juan Jimenez
May 14th 05, 09:50 AM
>> The 3600a already has a 256-colors screen.
>
> You're correct. My mistake. I misread Garmin's "16 bit color" as 16
> colors.
>
> Okay, so all they have to add is Bluetooth (and maybe a slightly faster
> processor) and I'll bite.

I wrote a review of the 3600a for www.aero-news.net, use the search function
and look for "3600a".. I thought it was an outstanding value for the money,
but I also thought that the lack of wireless connectivity was a drawback,
one of very few I found.

> Someone told me Lowrance is going to add terrain to their 2000C. But if I
> can use a $1000 product outside the cockpit, that's more utility for the
> money.

The 2000c has a number of problems, mostly related to QA. I wrote a review
of that unit as well, I only gave it 2.5 stars out of five (the Garmin 3600a
got 4.5). For example, under some conditions oceans disappear, as well as
shorelines, and it seems to me that the rendering was ported directly from
the greyscale version, resulting in very poor use of color. There are errors
with things like country names in their database, and the translations of
the user interface (which I know are not an issue for you) are not very
good, as well as incomplete. The unit doesn't last long on the AA batteries,
or even NiMH, but Lowrance does warn you about that (but on the other
hand... the Garmin 3600a doesn't have a removable battery pack, which si a
big drawback IMO -- if your electrical fails, you're dead in the water, and
you can't use it on aircraft that don't have a generator or an accessory
plug from a battery.)

Juan

Darrel Toepfer
May 14th 05, 01:07 PM
MikePalmer wrote:

> Someone told me Lowrance is going to add terrain to their 2000C. But if
> I can use a $1000 product outside the cockpit, that's more utility for
> the money.

If you pay $1k for the Lowrance, you aren't a very good shopper...

Smitty
May 14th 05, 03:17 PM
In article <YYghe.10188$D91.3977@fed1read01>,
MikePalmer > wrote:

> > The 3600a already has a 256-colors screen.
>
> You're correct. My mistake. I misread Garmin's "16 bit color" as 16 colors.

16 bit color is about sixty-five thousand colors. 256 colors is only 8
bits. So which does it have?

MikePalmer
May 14th 05, 07:17 PM
Hi Juan:

Nice review. I didn't know you guys existed.

Are you big enough that the manufacturers send you stuff to review or do
you go out an buy it?

Mike Palmer <><

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
May 14th 05, 09:02 PM
MikePalmer wrote:
> Hi Juan:
>
> Nice review. I didn't know you guys existed.
>
> Are you big enough that the manufacturers send you stuff to review or do
> you go out an buy it?
>
> Mike Palmer <><

Mike, fair warning, take juan's advise with a lot of skepticism. A
better source is Aviation Consumer.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Juan Jimenez
May 15th 05, 03:57 AM
Both Garmin and Lowrance sent us the hardware for review. When we finished,
I sent it all back in.

ANN is the largest aviation daily on the planet. Welcome to the subscriber
base. :)

> Hi Juan:
>
> Nice review. I didn't know you guys existed.
>
> Are you big enough that the manufacturers send you stuff to review or do
> you go out an buy it?
>
> Mike Palmer <><

Juan Jimenez
May 15th 05, 03:58 AM
"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" > wrote in message
> MikePalmer wrote:
>> Hi Juan:
>>
>> Nice review. I didn't know you guys existed.
>>
>> Are you big enough that the manufacturers send you stuff to review or do
>> you go out an buy it?
>>
>> Mike Palmer <><
>
> Mike, fair warning, take juan's advise with a lot of skepticism. A better
> source is Aviation Consumer.
>
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Get over it, dannyboy... go back to rec.nude or wherever it is you like to
hang out. :)

Juan Jimenez
May 15th 05, 03:59 AM
256 colors.

"Smitty" > wrote in message
> In article <YYghe.10188$D91.3977@fed1read01>,
> MikePalmer > wrote:
>
>> > The 3600a already has a 256-colors screen.
>>
>> You're correct. My mistake. I misread Garmin's "16 bit color" as 16
>> colors.
>
> 16 bit color is about sixty-five thousand colors. 256 colors is only 8
> bits. So which does it have?

Matt Whiting
May 15th 05, 12:53 PM
Juan Jimenez wrote:
> Both Garmin and Lowrance sent us the hardware for review. When we finished,
> I sent it all back in.
>
> ANN is the largest aviation daily on the planet. Welcome to the subscriber
> base. :)

Probably the only one. :-)

Matt

Juan Jimenez
May 15th 05, 04:28 PM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Juan Jimenez wrote:
>> Both Garmin and Lowrance sent us the hardware for review. When we
>> finished, I sent it all back in.
>>
>> ANN is the largest aviation daily on the planet. Welcome to the
>> subscriber base. :)
>
> Probably the only one. :-)

Yes., we only have one subscriber base. That's what it is, by definition, a
single subscriber base. Where did you go to school, Baghdad U.?

Go play in the sandbox or something, Matt. You just don't have what it takes
upstairs to play this type of adult game. Maybe in the next life.

Juan

Dan
May 15th 05, 04:43 PM
Why don't you two take it elswhere, I don't know or care what "J" did to "M"
or anyone else. It is a waste of everyones time. I DO care about the updates
for my airmap. My OLD airmap, don't need colour, or many of the other
features they are building into new units. The more features they add the
more complex these units get and the shorter the battery life.

"Juan Jimenez" > wrote in message

> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>> Juan Jimenez wrote:

Matt Whiting
May 15th 05, 09:18 PM
Juan Jimenez wrote:
> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>
>>Juan Jimenez wrote:
>>
>>>Both Garmin and Lowrance sent us the hardware for review. When we
>>>finished, I sent it all back in.
>>>
>>>ANN is the largest aviation daily on the planet. Welcome to the
>>>subscriber base. :)
>>
>>Probably the only one. :-)
>

> Yes., we only have one subscriber base. That's what it is, by definition, a
> single subscriber base. Where did you go to school, Baghdad U.?

Try to read for understanding. I meant ANN is the only aviation daily,
not that it had only one subscriber base. I typed this much slower so
that you can keep up. :-)

Matt

Juan Jimenez
May 15th 05, 10:31 PM
"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>> Yes., we only have one subscriber base. That's what it is, by definition,
>> a single subscriber base. Where did you go to school, Baghdad U.?
>
> Try to read for understanding. I meant ANN is the only aviation daily,
> not that it had only one subscriber base. I typed this much slower so
> that you can keep up. :-)

ROFLMAO! Is that why you allegedly have three degrees but work for FedEx as
a mechanic and moonlight for a college band? What a buffoon.

Juan

Matt Whiting
May 16th 05, 12:58 AM
Juan Jimenez wrote:
> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>
>>>Yes., we only have one subscriber base. That's what it is, by definition,
>>>a single subscriber base. Where did you go to school, Baghdad U.?
>>
>>Try to read for understanding. I meant ANN is the only aviation daily,
>>not that it had only one subscriber base. I typed this much slower so
>>that you can keep up. :-)
>

> ROFLMAO! Is that why you allegedly have three degrees but work for FedEx as
> a mechanic and moonlight for a college band? What a buffoon.

Three degrees? FedEX? College band? You've went way over the edge.
Forgot to take your meds again?

Matt

ChuckSlusarczyk
May 16th 05, 01:24 AM
In article >, Matt Whiting says...

>Three degrees? FedEX? College band? You've went way over the edge.
>Forgot to take your meds again?

Hey Matt don't forget your dealing with one of the "Super Duper" ANN reporters
who's motto is "facts don't count" LOL!!! The best reporting ad money can buy.
:-)

See ya

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

"zoom can fool most of the people some of the time,some of the people none of
the time and jaun all the time" anon

Juan Jimenez
May 16th 05, 02:29 AM
"ChuckSlusarczyk" > wrote in message
> In article >, Matt Whiting says...
>
>>Three degrees? FedEX? College band? You've went way over the edge.
>>Forgot to take your meds again?
>
> Hey Matt don't forget your dealing with one of the "Super Duper" ANN
> reporters
> who's motto is "facts don't count" LOL!!! The best reporting ad money can
> buy.
> :-)

As opposed to the super duper pathological liar who's motto is "customers
don't count"?

Yet another thread turned into sewer meat by the RAH Gaggle "Guilt By
Association" Septic Tank Team. What's the matter, Chucksteak, no customers
calling so all you have to left is useless usenet trolling?

Juan

Google