PDA

View Full Version : Time to hang it up?

John Sinclair[_5_]
April 22nd 21, 12:55 AM
It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
Pat & JJ Sinclair

Semantics Michael
April 22nd 21, 01:24 AM
John,
Wait, wait, wait a minute.....tell me it isn't so, unless you've closed the door already. Can we vote you back in if you could be persuaded? From you post, I see some wiggle room.... had you argued "it's no fun anymore" or "my pilot decision-making is making the risk too great", there'd be no rebuttal. What about joint ownership in a glider, or a hangar to store it assembled? Might a safety pilot provide some added assurance? Never met you, but I think you're the guy who built his own Duster and whose enthusiasm helped lead me into the sport (...and I bought a Duster too!).
Mike

> I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair

Semantics Michael
April 22nd 21, 01:35 AM
On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 7:24:33 PM UTC-5, Semantics Michael wrote:
> John,
> Wait, wait, wait a minute.....tell me it isn't so, unless you've closed the door already. Can we vote you back in if you could be persuaded? From you post, I see some wiggle room.... had you argued "it's no fun anymore" or "my pilot decision-making is making the risk too great", there'd be no rebuttal. What about joint ownership in a glider, or a hangar to store it assembled? Might a safety pilot provide some added assurance? Never met you, but I think you're the guy who built his own Duster and whose enthusiasm helped lead me into the sport (...and I bought a Duster too!).
> Mike
> > I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> > Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> > Pat & JJ Sinclair

Aha, I looked you up at the SSA; you are listed as a "LIFE MEMBER". You shouldn't mess with us. Sure, you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave! (courtesy of the Eagles). Seriously, sir, I hope you'll find some way of making it work.

Hank Nixon
April 22nd 21, 02:14 AM
> It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair

Great run- NO regrets.
UH

Matt Herron Jr.
April 22nd 21, 06:15 AM
Hey JJ,

Even if you truly have decided not to fly any more, you will continue to be an inspiration to us all. I will always remember the advice, encouragement, and especially the stories you told at the ASI meets (all while kicking everyone's butts...). Thank you for your lifelong dedication and commitment to the soaring community, and in particular, to myself and my father. To you, and your ever present and engaged wife Pat, I salute you both.

Matt Herron

> It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair

gkemp
April 22nd 21, 01:26 PM
I soloed back in 1968 and lasted for about 40 years, I had alway said (when I started) that I would retire when I was 70, which I did, that was 15 year ago and though I dream of soaring often, always watch the sky and clouds and watch a lot of gliding videos, for me I think it was the right decision.. I never wanted a young instructor to tap me on the shoulder and say, "hey, I think you need to take a ride with me." Besides the need for instantaneous decision making in competition flying and the degrading of that as you get older, I owed much to my wife who had endured my hobby for those 40 years. I think this decision can only be made by you and if you do, it is a good one. That doesn't mean you still won't be lurking on these forums. Like it ha been said, "it was a good run!"

gkemp "NK"

> On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 4:55:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> > Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> > Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> > Pat & JJ Sinclair

Morgan[_2_]
April 22nd 21, 04:08 PM
Good finish JJ!

I think we all wonder if we will have the strength to make the right decision early enough. I've seen people wait too long and it's not a good outcome.

I can always make room in the back seat of 5H if you want some flying without the responsibility of rigging. Still gotta make the long ass drive.

Always a pleasure having you visit Avenal.

Morgan

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 5:27:02 AM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
> I soloed back in 1968 and lasted for about 40 years, I had alway said (when I started) that I would retire when I was 70, which I did, that was 15 year ago and though I dream of soaring often, always watch the sky and clouds and watch a lot of gliding videos, for me I think it was the right decision. I never wanted a young instructor to tap me on the shoulder and say, "hey, I think you need to take a ride with me." Besides the need for instantaneous decision making in competition flying and the degrading of that as you get older, I owed much to my wife who had endured my hobby for those 40 years. I think this decision can only be made by you and if you do, it is a good one. That doesn't mean you still won't be lurking on these forums. Like it ha been said, "it was a good run!"
>
> gkemp "NK"
> > On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 4:55:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > > It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> > > Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> > > Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> > > Pat & JJ Sinclair

joel!!!!@yahoo,com
April 22nd 21, 04:37 PM
> It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair
It was a Good Ride JJ - may the winds carry you to new adventures nd even better Finishes

BG[_4_]
April 22nd 21, 05:49 PM
It was an honor and pleasure to know you, I too got in to soaring inspired by a few like yourself with such fantastic success in a racing and accomplishments . Hope this does not sound like a good bye, but a thank for all you have done for us all. You even fixed a few planes over time, including my own

As an instructor for 35 years now, the worse part of my job is to give that person a tap on the shoulder, but it comes with the job. It is my hope the legacy we leave behind won't be one that puts another black mark on soaring. I am 72 now and feel I have just a few more good years unless I find that hot springs fountain of youth..... I am looking..

Aloha and Mahalo Nui LOa

Buzz Graves

5Z
April 22nd 21, 06:42 PM
I's been a while since we've last seen you, but we'll miss you.

Tom & Karen 5Z

> It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
April 24th 21, 06:06 PM
On 4/21/2021 4:55 PM, John Sinclair wrote:
> It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane.............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> Pat & JJ Sinclair

I completely understand, and I'm younger and don't to drive nearly so far. A
smaller, lighter, simpler glider sounds very attractive to me right now. Jan and
I are happy we knew you and Pat during the years we went to contests. May good
fortune continue to find you two.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

April 25th 21, 10:42 PM
On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 1:06:13 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> On 4/21/2021 4:55 PM, John Sinclair wrote:
> > It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> > Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> > Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> > Pat & JJ Sinclair
> >
> I completely understand, and I'm younger and don't to drive nearly so far.. A
> smaller, lighter, simpler glider sounds very attractive to me right now. Jan and
> I are happy we knew you and Pat during the years we went to contests. May good
> fortune continue to find you two.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - USA
> - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
SIR ,

Just back from the race at Perry and I read this ..

I say well done , I say you did it right, I say you were my friend, you got what "we " got to do in the past.............!!!!!! , I say it is .........almighty !

You helped me when we asked, you helped lots and lots of folks.

Perfect JJ !

HW

2G
April 29th 21, 01:26 AM
On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 2:42:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 1:06:13 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> > On 4/21/2021 4:55 PM, John Sinclair wrote:
> > > It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> > > Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> > > Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> > > Pat & JJ Sinclair
> > >
> > I completely understand, and I'm younger and don't to drive nearly so far. A
> > smaller, lighter, simpler glider sounds very attractive to me right now.. Jan and
> > I are happy we knew you and Pat during the years we went to contests. May good
> > fortune continue to find you two.
> >
> > --
> > Eric Greenwell - USA
> > - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> > https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
> SIR ,
>
> Just back from the race at Perry and I read this ..
>
> I say well done , I say you did it right, I say you were my friend, you got what "we " got to do in the past.............!!!!!! , I say it is .........almighty !
>
> You helped me when we asked, you helped lots and lots of folks.
>
> Perfect JJ !
>
> HW
If I had to travel 3 hours, plus assembly and derigging time, to fly I would probably quit too. That is why I own a motorglider that I keep tied down at my local airport. Pulling the covers off only takes 10 min and the airport is 15 min from my house. This week I played 18 holes of golf, drove to the airport, and had a 6 hour flight.

Tom

Evan K
April 29th 21, 06:02 PM
On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 8:26:32 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
> On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 2:42:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > > >
> > > I completely understand, and I'm younger and don't to drive nearly so far. A
> > > smaller, lighter, simpler glider sounds very attractive to me right now. Jan and
> > > I are happy we knew you and Pat during the years we went to contests. May good
> > > fortune continue to find you two.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Eric Greenwell - USA
> > > - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
> > > https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
> > SIR ,
> >
> > Just back from the race at Perry and I read this ..
> >
> > I say well done , I say you did it right, I say you were my friend, you got what "we " got to do in the past.............!!!!!! , I say it is .........almighty !
> >
> > You helped me when we asked, you helped lots and lots of folks.
> >
> > Perfect JJ !
> >
> > HW
> If I had to travel 3 hours, plus assembly and derigging time, to fly I would probably quit too. That is why I own a motorglider that I keep tied down at my local airport. Pulling the covers off only takes 10 min and the airport is 15 min from my house. This week I played 18 holes of golf, drove to the airport, and had a 6 hour flight.
>
> Tom
Congratulations Tom, your medal is in the mail.

Steve Leonard[_2_]
April 30th 21, 12:11 AM
Thank you, JJ, for all your help and advice. I am saddened to see you are stopping flying, but glad you were able to make the decision on your own and without "prompting" from others. I will remember many things from my few meetings with you. Your willingness to provide relays while on air retrieves to save yourself and Pat many hours. The story of the landout where Pat got the nick name, "The Torch" and your tale of the helpers having two speeds: Stopped and faster than a a run. I will remember your serious side, as well as the fun side I got to see.

Congratulations on all you have accomplished, and Thank You for all those you helped keep in the air. I hope I can be a part of the trip to get that latest project you did. It looks GORGEOUS!

Thank you so much and do keep in touch and monitoring the frequency.

Steve Leonard

2G
April 30th 21, 12:55 AM
On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:02:20 AM UTC-7, Evan K wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 8:26:32 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

> > > SIR ,
> > >
> > > Just back from the race at Perry and I read this ..
> > >
> > > I say well done , I say you did it right, I say you were my friend, you got what "we " got to do in the past.............!!!!!! , I say it is .........almighty !
> > >
> > > You helped me when we asked, you helped lots and lots of folks.
> > >
> > > Perfect JJ !
> > >
> > > HW
> > If I had to travel 3 hours, plus assembly and derigging time, to fly I would probably quit too. That is why I own a motorglider that I keep tied down at my local airport. Pulling the covers off only takes 10 min and the airport is 15 min from my house. This week I played 18 holes of golf, drove to the airport, and had a 6 hour flight.
> >
> > Tom
> Congratulations Tom, your medal is in the mail.
As is your sarcasm metal. Now, maybe you have something meaningful to say (but probably not)...

Roy B.
April 30th 21, 02:24 PM
I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair

JJ:
Although you are not going to fly anymore, you are still a walking library of gliding knowledge. I hope that you can find a way to preserve that and share with the younger pilots all that you have learned in a lifetime of gliding. It would be wonderful if one of the younger "Podcast" pilots could interview you about your memories, flying techniques and repair knowledge. What you possess in your mind is invaluable the the sport.
All the best,
ROY

Roy B.
April 30th 21, 02:28 PM
JJ:
Although you are not going to fly anymore, you are still a walking library of gliding knowledge. I hope that you can find a way to preserve that and share with the younger pilots all that you have learned in a lifetime of gliding. It would be wonderful if one of the younger "Podcast" pilots could interview you about your memories, flying techniques and repair knowledge. What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
All the best,
ROY

gkemp
May 1st 21, 12:42 AM
What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
> All the best,
> ROY

Wellllll!!!! some of us have been the victim of what is in his mind, I don't think we have to go there.

(for those with no sens of humor, just joking)

gkemp "NK"

John Sinclair[_5_]
May 1st 21, 06:11 PM
On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:42:54 PM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
> What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
> > All the best,
> > ROY
> Wellllll!!!! some of us have been the victim of what is in his mind, I don't think we have to go there.
>
> (for those with no sens of humor, just joking)
>
> gkemp "NK"

Now, now Dr. Kemp,
Just because I flew 1000K before you did, is no reason to be vindictive!
😁JJ

Mark Fisher
May 2nd 21, 09:26 AM
On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 3:11:05 AM UTC+10, wrote:
> On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:42:54 PM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
> > What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
> > > All the best,
> > > ROY
> > Wellllll!!!! some of us have been the victim of what is in his mind, I don't think we have to go there.
> >
> > (for those with no sens of humor, just joking)
> >
> > gkemp "NK"
> Now, now Dr. Kemp,
> Just because I flew 1000K before you did, is no reason to be vindictive!
> 😁JJ

Mike Carris[_2_]
May 3rd 21, 07:09 AM
https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/181998166_4652632591418458_3451729765462893098_n.j pg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=3riWE9Snkc0AX_xTSJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=18ef4615c0cc0e4a4e23eb34862b0aad&oe=60B5C858

John Sinclair[_5_]
May 3rd 21, 03:08 PM
Photo needs some explanation..........
The ship is a Zanonia replica that I just finished up fo the South West Soaring Museum. Johnny Robinson flew it to 3 US National Championships, World Altitude Record (Bishop, Ca) and Worlds first Diamond Badge! No wheel, it took off on a 2 wheel dolly that was then dropped off.........
Johnny installed a Venturi and a needle & ball, then taught himself To fly in clouds! Car tow at Torrey Pines into slope lift, then thermal when a Cu drifted inland. John would enter the cloud and taught himself to fly blind! In competition He would often win the day with 1000 points and the guy in second place would maybe get 200 points!
After winning the Nationals 3 times in a row, cloud flying was forbidden in the US rules.
JJ

Mike Carris[_2_]
May 4th 21, 03:52 PM
On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:08:10 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> Photo needs some explanation..........
> The ship is a Zanonia replica that I just finished up fo the South West Soaring Museum. Johnny Robinson flew it to 3 US National Championships, World Altitude Record (Bishop, Ca) and Worlds first Diamond Badge! No wheel, it took off on a 2 wheel dolly that was then dropped off.........
> Johnny installed a Venturi and a needle & ball, then taught himself To fly in clouds! Car tow at Torrey Pines into slope lift, then thermal when a Cu drifted inland. John would enter the cloud and taught himself to fly blind! In competition He would often win the day with 1000 points and the guy in second place would maybe get 200 points!
> After winning the Nationals 3 times in a row, cloud flying was forbidden in the US rules.
> JJ

That is a beautiful sailplane design and I bet the workmanship is as impressive as the Super Albatross replica you also donated to the SWS museum. Looking forward to seeing it there.

Mike

Aldo Cernezzi
May 4th 21, 11:13 PM
Backseat available in Italy, if you wish to visit the Alps or the Appennines.

all the best for your future life,

Aldo Cernezzi

Mike Koerner[_2_]
May 6th 21, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the use of the sleeping bag, JJ.
May not seem like much, to loan the bag to a kid who flies in without a crew. But it was heart-warming for me… And a lot more comfortable than my canopy cover.
I flew back to Cal City the next day; May 19, 1979.
Mike Koerner

John Sinclair[_5_]
May 6th 21, 04:43 PM
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 12:43:36 AM UTC-7, Mike Koerner wrote:
> Thanks for the use of the sleeping bag, JJ.
> May not seem like much, to loan the bag to a kid who flies in without a crew. But it was heart-warming for me… And a lot more comfortable than my canopy cover.
> I flew back to Cal City the next day; May 19, 1979.
> Mike Koerner

Hi Mike,
We remember well........kid flies without a crew and not even a toothbrush. Tows out of Cal City, lands at Minden, spends the night, then takes another tow and flies back to Cal City! You got to be packin’ a large pair of Cohunas!
Well done,
JJ

Mike Koerner[_2_]
May 12th 21, 07:43 PM
JJ,
I know you’re just having fun, but I’m worried someone reading your comments might walk away with a misimpression of cross-country soaring.
I know where some alternate landing sites are and keep one within glide all the time. And I keep my airspeed in the green, stay away from thunderstorms and avoid hitting mountains. So, except for the tooth decay issue, my cross-country flights are no more dangerous than local soaring.
Now, flying around in the back of an F-4 or B-52 like you used to do, that’s a whole different story.
Mike Koerner

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION 2010 MOCIUNPICTURES
May 12th 21, 09:06 PM
> It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
> Pat & JJ Sinclair

JJ, respectfully, are you confusing the ground work with the flying? I'm also getting older, and find the ground work an increasing burden, but still feel ok to fly. I'm going back to power flying a rental (turn up, fly, go home) and am looking to join a 2-seat glider partnership... with younger pilots who appreciate someone to share the financial burden.

John Sinclair[_5_]
May 13th 21, 02:30 PM
On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 11:43:28 AM UTC-7, Mike Koerner wrote:
> JJ,
> I know you’re just having fun, but I’m worried someone reading your comments might walk away with a misimpression of cross-country soaring.
> I know where some alternate landing sites are and keep one within glide all the time. And I keep my airspeed in the green, stay away from thunderstorms and avoid hitting mountains. So, except for the tooth decay issue, my cross-country flights are no more dangerous than local soaring.
> Now, flying around in the back of an F-4 or B-52 like you used to do, that’s a whole different story.
> Mike Koerner

I salute your spirit, Mike. The spirit of youth..........Actually one could say, “the spirit of soaring”, Hitchhiking on the wind!
All the best,
Pat & JJ

John Sinclair[_5_]
May 13th 21, 02:54 PM
IWednesday, May 12, 2021 at 1:06:53 PM UTC-7, NEW YEARS RESOLUTION 2010 MOCIUNPICTURES wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 4:55:53 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
> > Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
> > Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
> > Pat & JJ Sinclair
> JJ, respectfully, are you confusing the ground work with the flying? I'm also getting older, and find the ground work an increasing burden, but still feel ok to fly. I'm going back to power flying a rental (turn up, fly, go home) and am looking to join a 2-seat glider partnership... with younger pilots who appreciate someone to share the financial burden.

I have always said that I planned to keep flying as long as I was making good decisions and my health held out. After my family had “ the talk” with me, I made a brutally honest assessment at my recent flying. My landings were getting worse, not better! I landed in a dry lake that wasn’t all that dry! It looked completely dry from the air and my landing on the edge was fine, but then I called for an aero-retrieve! The Pawnee rolled to a stop beside my ship and then sank up to its axles in “not so dry”, mud! Getting both ships out of there took a gang of people and several 4 wheel drive vehicles, most of the next day! All caused by a very bad call on my part. Did I mention that I no longer have sharp vision in my left eye? It’s time for me to hang it up, good memories and no regrets!
JJ

Steve Leonard[_2_]
May 14th 21, 02:15 PM
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 8:31:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 11:43:28 AM UTC-7, Mike Koerner wrote:
> > JJ,
> > I know you’re just having fun, but I’m worried someone reading your comments might walk away with a misimpression of cross-country soaring.
> > I know where some alternate landing sites are and keep one within glide all the time. And I keep my airspeed in the green, stay away from thunderstorms and avoid hitting mountains. So, except for the tooth decay issue, my cross-country flights are no more dangerous than local soaring.
> > Now, flying around in the back of an F-4 or B-52 like you used to do, that’s a whole different story.
> > Mike Koerner
> I salute your spirit, Mike. The spirit of youth..........Actually one could say, “the spirit of soaring”, Hitchhiking on the wind!
> All the best,
> Pat & JJ
I like Mike's "hitchhiking on the wind" adventure of April 1984. Makes that 290 or so mile weekend trip to Minden and back seem like the early training run it was. I probably have a couple of details wrong, but 902.95 miles from Cal City to Seminole, Texas on Saturday. Secures plane. Takes bus to Odessa, Texas. Hops airline back to LA. Gets back Sunday and back at work Monday. He becomes a Father for the first time early in the week, so he and his wife and new son decide to delay retrieving the Kestrel for a couple of weeks.

Please don't stop contributing to discussions and flying, JJ. We can't afford to have you just walk away. And, Mike, keep having those grand adventures!

Steve Leonard

Google