PDA

View Full Version : Re: Navy Performs Maximum Range Test of Boeing SLAM-ER

KDR
June 2nd 05, 02:03 AM
Andy Tompkins wrote:
> http://i-newswire.com/pr21007.html
[snip]
> The maximum-range test was from an altitude of 40,000 feet from a U.S.
> Navy F/A-18B more than 170 miles ( 150 nm ) from a mobile ship target.
> After being released, the SLAM-ER twice received updated target
> information, changed its course and directly hit the target. The
> SLAM-ER is the only weapon in the Navy's arsenal capable of hitting a
> moving target from standoff outside area defense ranges.
[snip]

Any info about how far & high the F/A-18B was from the target when the
missile twice received updated target information from the launch
aircraft?

leadfoot
June 2nd 05, 03:09 AM
"KDR" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Andy Tompkins wrote:
>> http://i-newswire.com/pr21007.html
> [snip]
>> The maximum-range test was from an altitude of 40,000 feet from a U.S.
>> Navy F/A-18B more than 170 miles ( 150 nm ) from a mobile ship target.
>> After being released, the SLAM-ER twice received updated target
>> information, changed its course and directly hit the target. The
>> SLAM-ER is the only weapon in the Navy's arsenal capable of hitting a
>> moving target from standoff outside area defense ranges.
> [snip]
>
> Any info about how far & high the F/A-18B was from the target when the
> missile twice received updated target information from the launch
> aircraft?

Who said it received the update from the launch aircraft?

KDR
June 2nd 05, 03:54 AM
There's no mention about any other aircraft involved in the 150NM-shot
test. Whether the launch aircraft sent target info updates to the
missile or not, what I want to know is this: the maximum possible
distance between the controlling aircraft and SLAM-ER.

TOliver
June 2nd 05, 06:49 AM
"KDR" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> There's no mention about any other aircraft involved in the 150NM-shot
> test. Whether the launch aircraft sent target info updates to the
> missile or not, what I want to know is this: the maximum possible
> distance between the controlling aircraft and SLAM-ER.

The links are (as in most other similar examples) "Line of Sight", with
range solutions depending on launch and flight profiles. From what has been
the limited info available, the context and inferences which may be drawn,
it's likely that the corrections were supplied by another a/c (which after
all is sort of the point of the program).

TMO

John Doe
June 4th 05, 12:44 PM
"KDR" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Andy Tompkins wrote:
>> http://i-newswire.com/pr21007.html
> [snip]
>> The maximum-range test was from an altitude of 40,000 feet from a U.S.
>> Navy F/A-18B more than 170 miles ( 150 nm ) from a mobile ship target.
>> After being released, the SLAM-ER twice received updated target
>> information, changed its course and directly hit the target. The
>> SLAM-ER is the only weapon in the Navy's arsenal capable of hitting a
>> moving target from standoff outside area defense ranges.
> [snip]
>
> Any info about how far & high the F/A-18B was from the target when the
> missile twice received updated target information from the launch
> aircraft?

Where does it say the updated information came from the launch aircraft?

Kyle
June 13th 05, 03:27 AM
The answer to your question is classified. I wouldn't be expecting an answer
from anyone involved. And there is no one answer. As stated before, it
depends on a lot of factors including luck. Having said that, the launch
aircraft certainly could have guided the weapon and it would not have to do
it at 150 NM. By following the weapon inbound, the range would be less than
150 NM upon guidance. It could have also been done by another aircraft
equipped with a data link pod at some range to the weapon.

"KDR" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> There's no mention about any other aircraft involved in the 150NM-shot
> test. Whether the launch aircraft sent target info updates to the
> missile or not, what I want to know is this: the maximum possible
> distance between the controlling aircraft and SLAM-ER.

Fred J. McCall
June 13th 05, 07:43 AM
"KDR" > wrote:

:... what I want to know is this: the maximum possible
:distance between the controlling aircraft and SLAM-ER.

Classified.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney

KDR
June 13th 05, 07:56 AM
If the launch or other aircraft must maintain line of sight with
SLAM-ER throughout the missile's flight then it surely it cannot be
called an "over-the-horizon" weapon?

Google