PDA

View Full Version : Re: Liquid to liquid coolers

Paul Millner
July 5th 03, 09:22 AM
>> Has anyone ever used a liquid to liquid cooler on a home built. I know
this type of cooler is normal on a turbin engine but what would it do to
a normally asperated engine and none JP rated fuels?

What do you have in mind, using a heat exchanger to cool your oil and warm
up the avgas in your tanks?

It shouldn't take long, a few minutes, to vaporlock your engine that way.
:-(

Or, what did you have in mind?

Paul

Ben Haas
July 5th 03, 02:31 PM
Liquid to Liquid coolers work great in boats, now if ya want to use on
in a plane it will take a looooooooooooong hose.
Frederick Wilson > wrote in message news:<%xsLa.46680$Bg.29470@rwcrnsc54>...
> Has anyone ever used a liquid to liquid cooler on a home built. I know
> this type of cooler is normal on a turbin engine but what would it do to
> a normally asperated engine and none JP rated fuels?
>
> Thanks,
> Fred

Frederick Wilson
July 5th 03, 02:32 PM
Paul,

Of course the no brainer is that oil needs to be kept cool. However, I
know in turbine engines it likes to have the fuel warmed to allow for
better atomization. Of course these engines normally have a high
pressure positive pump before the cooler to ensure that the fuel
continues to flow and that a vapor lock doesn't happen.

Fred

Paul Millner wrote:
>>>Has anyone ever used a liquid to liquid cooler on a home built. I know
>
> this type of cooler is normal on a turbin engine but what would it do to
> a normally asperated engine and none JP rated fuels?
>
> What do you have in mind, using a heat exchanger to cool your oil and warm
> up the avgas in your tanks?
>
> It shouldn't take long, a few minutes, to vaporlock your engine that way.
> :-(
>
> Or, what did you have in mind?
>
> Paul

Google