PDA

View Full Version : Airport buyer may have been murdered.

George Patterson
June 21st 05, 02:48 PM
Anyone who misses Marlboro airport in New Jersey might be interested in this

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-nj--crash-investigati0619jun19,0,3247180.story

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Matt Barrow
June 21st 05, 09:55 PM
"George Patterson" > wrote in message
> Anyone who misses Marlboro airport in New Jersey might be interested in
this

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-nj--crash-investigati0619jun19,0,3247180.story

Maybe...but sounds a bit like paranoia to me. Sounds very much like Howard
Hughes and his paranoia.

Also, a bolt coming loose on a 40 year old airplane...???

George Patterson
June 22nd 05, 01:47 AM
Matt Barrow wrote:

> Maybe...but sounds a bit like paranoia to me. Sounds very much like Howard
> Hughes and his paranoia.
>
> Also, a bolt coming loose on a 40 year old airplane...???

Well, the Asbury Park Press ran another story today. Basically, this guy had
made an offer on the airport, which had been accepted. He intended to keep it
open as an airport. A developer also wanted the property for a restricted age
community development.

When the plane went down, the FBI launched an investigation. One week later, the
NTSB announced the probably cause as a bird strike. Knocking the tail off a
twin? (I have a bridge to sell you, too).

The FBI figured the NTSB knew their stuff and dropped the investigation. The
airport was sold to the developer.

Fast forward. For a variety of reasons, the developer paid several bribes to
several township officials to get zoning changes made for the property. The FBI
has been investigating these guys over the years, and is now pressing charges on
seven people, including the former mayor and the developer. During the process
of this investigation, it came to light that the NTSB has absolutely no evidence
or reason to believe that there was a bird strike. As a result, the FBI is
reopening their investigation. The NTSB refuses to comment.

Now the aircraft may not have been sabotaged, but there's pretty much no way it
could've been a bird strike -- we don't have condors here. And anyone who thinks
it's paranoia knows nothing about New Jersey.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Orval Fairbairn
June 22nd 05, 02:24 AM
In article <ky2ue.18471$fa3.11776@trndny01>,
George Patterson > wrote:

> Matt Barrow wrote:
> >
> > Maybe...but sounds a bit like paranoia to me. Sounds very much like Howard
> > Hughes and his paranoia.
> >
> > Also, a bolt coming loose on a 40 year old airplane...???
>
> Well, the Asbury Park Press ran another story today. Basically, this guy had
> made an offer on the airport, which had been accepted. He intended to keep it
> open as an airport. A developer also wanted the property for a restricted age
> community development.
>
> When the plane went down, the FBI launched an investigation. One week later,
> the
> NTSB announced the probably cause as a bird strike. Knocking the tail off a
> twin? (I have a bridge to sell you, too).
>
> The FBI figured the NTSB knew their stuff and dropped the investigation. The
> airport was sold to the developer.
>
> Fast forward. For a variety of reasons, the developer paid several bribes to
> several township officials to get zoning changes made for the property. The
> FBI
> has been investigating these guys over the years, and is now pressing charges
> on
> seven people, including the former mayor and the developer. During the
> process
> of this investigation, it came to light that the NTSB has absolutely no
> evidence
> or reason to believe that there was a bird strike. As a result, the FBI is
> reopening their investigation. The NTSB refuses to comment.
>
> Now the aircraft may not have been sabotaged, but there's pretty much no way
> it
> could've been a bird strike -- we don't have condors here. And anyone who
> thinks
> it's paranoia knows nothing about New Jersey.

The way developers covet airports, it would not surprise me one bit.
Developers are the most politically influential group in state and local
government.

Matt Barrow
June 22nd 05, 03:12 AM
> Matt Barrow wrote:
> >
> > Maybe...but sounds a bit like paranoia to me. Sounds very much like
Howard
> > Hughes and his paranoia.
> >
> > Also, a bolt coming loose on a 40 year old airplane...???
>
> Well, the Asbury Park Press ran another story today. Basically, this guy
had
> made an offer on the airport, which had been accepted. He intended to keep
it
> open as an airport. A developer also wanted the property for a restricted
age
> community development.
>
> When the plane went down, the FBI launched an investigation. One week
later, the
> NTSB announced the probably cause as a bird strike. Knocking the tail off
> twin? (I have a bridge to sell you, too).
>
> The FBI figured the NTSB knew their stuff and dropped the investigation.
The
> airport was sold to the developer.
>
> Fast forward. For a variety of reasons, the developer paid several bribes
> several township officials to get zoning changes made for the property.
The FBI
> has been investigating these guys over the years, and is now pressing
charges on
> seven people, including the former mayor and the developer. During the
process
> of this investigation, it came to light that the NTSB has absolutely no
evidence
> or reason to believe that there was a bird strike. As a result, the FBI is
> reopening their investigation. The NTSB refuses to comment.
>
> Now the aircraft may not have been sabotaged, but there's pretty much no
way it
> could've been a bird strike -- we don't have condors here. And anyone who
thinks
> it's paranoia knows nothing about New Jersey.

All the while I was reading your response I was thinking of EXACTLY what
your conclusion stated.

But then, the same could be said about any major city...and quite a few
small ones (as one in the development business, I can attest to).

Matt Barrow
June 22nd 05, 03:14 AM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article <ky2ue.18471$fa3.11776@trndny01>,
> George Patterson > wrote:
>
> > Matt Barrow wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe...but sounds a bit like paranoia to me. Sounds very much like
Howard
> > > Hughes and his paranoia.
> > >
> > > Also, a bolt coming loose on a 40 year old airplane...???
> >
> > Well, the Asbury Park Press ran another story today. Basically, this guy
had
> > made an offer on the airport, which had been accepted. He intended to
keep it
> > open as an airport. A developer also wanted the property for a
restricted age
> > community development.
> >
> > When the plane went down, the FBI launched an investigation. One week
later,
> > the
> > NTSB announced the probably cause as a bird strike. Knocking the tail
off a
> > twin? (I have a bridge to sell you, too).
> >
> > The FBI figured the NTSB knew their stuff and dropped the investigation.
The
> > airport was sold to the developer.
> >
> > Fast forward. For a variety of reasons, the developer paid several
bribes to
> > several township officials to get zoning changes made for the property.
The
> > FBI
> > has been investigating these guys over the years, and is now pressing
charges
> > on
> > seven people, including the former mayor and the developer. During the
> > process
> > of this investigation, it came to light that the NTSB has absolutely no
> > evidence
> > or reason to believe that there was a bird strike. As a result, the FBI
is
> > reopening their investigation. The NTSB refuses to comment.
> >
> > Now the aircraft may not have been sabotaged, but there's pretty much no
way
> > it
> > could've been a bird strike -- we don't have condors here. And anyone
who
> > thinks
> > it's paranoia knows nothing about New Jersey.
> >

> The way developers covet airports, it would not surprise me one bit.
> Developers are the most politically influential group in state and local
> government.

Yes and no -- try developing ANYTHING in California. Less extreme but
stultifying nonetheless are many other areas in which the EPA thinks they
own EVERYTHING.

--
Matt
---------------------

Carl Orton
June 22nd 05, 03:21 AM
I got my certificate there in 1981. Fun little airport - especially the hi
voltage lines of of rwy 9 in the NJ summer - 95 degrees, 95% humidity. You
really had to manage your airspeed and flare!

Since I grew up in the area, I'll just say that George has it right on about
the paranoia.

"George Patterson" > wrote in message
> Matt Barrow wrote:
>>
>> Maybe...but sounds a bit like paranoia to me. Sounds very much like
>> Howard
>> Hughes and his paranoia.
>>
>> Also, a bolt coming loose on a 40 year old airplane...???
>
> Well, the Asbury Park Press ran another story today. Basically, this guy
> had made an offer on the airport, which had been accepted. He intended to
> keep it open as an airport. A developer also wanted the property for a
> restricted age community development.
>
> When the plane went down, the FBI launched an investigation. One week
> later, the NTSB announced the probably cause as a bird strike. Knocking
> the tail off a twin? (I have a bridge to sell you, too).
>
> The FBI figured the NTSB knew their stuff and dropped the investigation.
> The airport was sold to the developer.
>
> Fast forward. For a variety of reasons, the developer paid several bribes
> to several township officials to get zoning changes made for the property.
> The FBI has been investigating these guys over the years, and is now
> pressing charges on seven people, including the former mayor and the
> developer. During the process of this investigation, it came to light that
> the NTSB has absolutely no evidence or reason to believe that there was a
> bird strike. As a result, the FBI is reopening their investigation. The
> NTSB refuses to comment.
>
> Now the aircraft may not have been sabotaged, but there's pretty much no
> way it could've been a bird strike -- we don't have condors here. And
> anyone who thinks it's paranoia knows nothing about New Jersey.
>
> George Patterson
> Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
> and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
> Because she smells like a new truck.

George Patterson
June 22nd 05, 03:31 AM
Matt Barrow wrote:

> But then, the same could be said about any major city...and quite a few
> small ones (as one in the development business, I can attest to).

Marlboro is a relatively small township; however, most of New Jersey is corrupt.
The mayors of several small to medium-size towns in Monmouth County were
recently indicted as the result of Federal sting operations and other
investigations. One is on record as telling one of the investigators "I can
smell a cop a mile away." I'm just glad the Feds are finally taking an interest;
the State will never do anything.

A couple weeks ago, we went to an open house at an estate a few blocks away.
Turns out that it was built by the guy who was the original model for "The
Godfather." They only put his son away a few years ago. Dunno how much of his
empire is still intact. And that's just one of the larger operators.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Bob Noel
June 22nd 05, 03:32 AM
In article >,
Orval Fairbairn > wrote:

> The way developers covet airports, it would not surprise me one bit.
> Developers are the most politically influential group in state and local
> government.

The airport NIMBY goons aren't the most?

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

George Patterson
June 22nd 05, 03:37 AM
Bob Noel wrote:

> The airport NIMBY goons aren't the most?

Not usually. Most of them don't have enough money.

Then, there's Forbes & crew.

"Carl Orton" > wrote in message
> I got my certificate there in 1981. Fun little airport - especially the hi
> voltage lines of of rwy 9 in the NJ summer - 95 degrees, 95% humidity.
You
> really had to manage your airspeed and flare!
>
> Since I grew up in the area, I'll just say that George has it right on
about
> the paranoia.

Actually, it was myself that was wondering about paranoia -- George
(rightfully, no doubt) thought otherwise. Evidently the FBI thinks so, too.
(Though that infor came later).

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

> "George Patterson" > wrote in message
> > Matt Barrow wrote:

Matt Barrow
June 22nd 05, 03:40 AM
> Bob Noel wrote:
> >
> > The airport NIMBY goons aren't the most?
>
> Not usually. Most of them don't have enough money.

George, if you ever come out west, I'll put you to work dealing with the
federal and local EPA's.

--
Matt
---------------------

Margy
June 22nd 05, 03:42 AM
Matt Barrow wrote:
> "Carl Orton" > wrote in message
>
>>I got my certificate there in 1981. Fun little airport - especially the hi
>>voltage lines of of rwy 9 in the NJ summer - 95 degrees, 95% humidity.
>
> You
>
>>really had to manage your airspeed and flare!
>>
>>Since I grew up in the area, I'll just say that George has it right on
>
> about
>
>>the paranoia.
>

> Actually, it was myself that was wondering about paranoia -- George
> (rightfully, no doubt) thought otherwise. Evidently the FBI thinks so, too.
> (Though that infor came later).

I grew up in NJ, my 9th grade lab partner's father owned a garbage
company, enough said.

Margy (when the Sopranos came out the teacher from NY and I thought,
hey! a real tv show)

George Patterson
June 22nd 05, 03:46 AM
Matt Barrow wrote:

> George, if you ever come out west, I'll put you to work dealing with the
> federal and local EPA's.

That wouldn't be profitable for either of us.

Actually, NJ is great for the developers. It's divided up into tons of small
towns, and all of them value their power. That makes the bribes pretty cheap
(usually). The article I read today quoted the former mayor as saying that
$1,500 was a "standard" payment for a typical zoning change. One of the airport
property bribes came to $20,000 and was split amoungst most of the zoning board.
That was to get the zoning increased from 51 units to 151 units on the same land.

I don't think the EPA would sell out for that, do you?

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

Orval Fairbairn
June 22nd 05, 03:56 AM
In article
Bob Noel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Orval Fairbairn > wrote:
>
> > The way developers covet airports, it would not surprise me one bit.
> > Developers are the most politically influential group in state and local
> > government.
>
> The airport NIMBY goons aren't the most?

Very often, you will find developers behind their campaigns.

RomeoMike
June 22nd 05, 05:58 AM
Having spent some of formative years living in Long Branch, N.J., I know
exactly what you mean. SOP

George Patterson wrote:
And
> anyone who thinks it's paranoia knows nothing about New Jersey.
>
> George Patterson
> Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
> and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
> Because she smells like a new truck.

Bob Fry
June 23rd 05, 01:57 AM

GP> most of New
GP> Jersey is corrupt.

The one experience I had with NJ was when I got a taxi from Newark to
Manhattan. In addition to the standard fare he wanted payment for
tolls enroute, which I paid, not knowing the custom. When I paid the
fare I rounded up so his tip came out to something like $2, which was
stiffing him but he was a surly SOB. He literally threw the bills
back at me and demanded I pay return fares too. That sounded bogus
and I refused. He then tried to grab a carry-on suitcase from my
wife, and when he couldn't steal that he grabbed my cell phone off my
belt and hopped back in the cab! He said I had 10 seconds to pay up,
when I still didn't he left. I had the yellow fare slip from the
Newark airport, so I called the Newark Taxi Commission office and
started the explain what had just happened. They interrupted me and
said "our drivers don't steal cell phones, you must have left it in
the cab." That was my introduction to Newark-style corruption.

Google