PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh yodeler gone West

Jay Honeck
June 24th 05, 06:01 AM
http://www.airventure.org/2005/news/050623_ricketts.html

To those of us who have awakened every morning at Oshkosh to his haunting
yodel for many years, this is truly a sad day
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

June 24th 05, 10:44 PM
Jay,

With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
to get that early morning noise stopped.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Dave Stadt
June 24th 05, 10:54 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Jay,
>
> With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
> either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
> condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
> to get that early morning noise stopped.
>
> Warmest regards,
> Rick

Have no fear he was recorded and his early morning serenade will continue.

Blueskies
June 24th 05, 11:28 PM
"Dave Stadt" > wrote in message m...

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Jay,
>>
>> With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
>> either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
>> condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
>> to get that early morning noise stopped.
>>
>> Warmest regards,
>> Rick
>
> Have no fear he was recorded and his early morning serenade will continue.

I surely hope his yodel continues and at the same time.

Jay Honeck
June 24th 05, 11:44 PM
> With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
> either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
> condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
> to get that early morning noise stopped.

Sorry, Rick. From what Dave says, it sounds like we will still be
"enjoying" the haunting sounds of yodeling at OSH for many years to
come.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

George Patterson
June 25th 05, 02:03 AM
wrote:

> With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
> either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
> condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
> to get that early morning noise stopped.

Well, I was always thankful for poor hearing when I was at Osh. But I'd bet they
come up with some other way to disturb your slumber.

At Sun'n Fun several years back, they sent a B-17 up about sunup. I was camping
at the departure end of the runway. Quite a few of us were outside in jockeys
that morning. :-)

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.

tony roberts
June 25th 05, 05:26 AM
> With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
> either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
> condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
> to get that early morning noise stopped.

> With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
> either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
> condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
> to get that early morning noise stopped.
>
> Warmest regards,
> Rick

For about 8 years, each Victoria Day (yep - Queen Victoria's birthday is
a national holiday here in Canada - if you fart in an embarrassing place
let us know - we would like another holiday - as you can see, we don't
need a compelling reason for one) I camped at Lac Le Jeune Lake, and
each morning at 0530 hours an Austrian neighbour would stand outside his
cabin, play his accordian and yodel - and it echoed all around the lake
- and the loons would even respond!

So one year, he is outside yodelling - and the neighbours dog bit him in
the ass! See how democratic we are - even dogs get to vote!
And it was the sweetest sound we ever heard - particularly for those of
us who were up playing cards untin 0330 hours and don't actually
appreciate some out of tune old fart disturbing our sleep at 0530 hours.
I still vividly recaqll that particular yodel going waaaaaay higher than
was customary :)

Not that this has anything to do with the regrettable demise of your
Oshkosh yodeller - but it did remind me of this particular incident -
just thought I would share it.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Jay Honeck
June 25th 05, 05:30 AM
> Not that this has anything to do with the regrettable demise of your
> Oshkosh yodeller - but it did remind me of this particular incident -
> just thought I would share it.

I think it's funny that folks would get upset about the OSH yodeler, since
his warbling wake-up call would herald the start of dozens of radial and
in-line piston engines.

Within minutes, ain't NO ONE sleeping anymore, anyway!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

tony roberts
June 25th 05, 05:43 AM
Anyone who wakes me to listen to a radial starting up is indeed a friend!
Some things are just too special to miss - even if I have been up most
of the night !

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article <N55ve.102042$xm3.86784@attbi_s21>,
"Jay Honeck" > wrote:

> > Not that this has anything to do with the regrettable demise of your
> > Oshkosh yodeller - but it did remind me of this particular incident -
> > just thought I would share it.
>
> I think it's funny that folks would get upset about the OSH yodeler, since
> his warbling wake-up call would herald the start of dozens of radial and
> in-line piston engines.
>
> Within minutes, ain't NO ONE sleeping anymore, anyway!

W P Dixon
June 25th 05, 06:56 AM
Never slept on an aircraft carrier huh Jay? ;)

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>> Not that this has anything to do with the regrettable demise of your
>> Oshkosh yodeller - but it did remind me of this particular incident -
>> just thought I would share it.
>
> I think it's funny that folks would get upset about the OSH yodeler, since
> his warbling wake-up call would herald the start of dozens of radial and
> in-line piston engines.
>
> Within minutes, ain't NO ONE sleeping anymore, anyway!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Dave Stadt
June 25th 05, 01:16 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > With all due respect, for all of us who repeatedly asked the EAA to
> > either have him yodel several hours later or shut him up, my
> > condolences to his family, but it's frustrating that it took his death
> > to get that early morning noise stopped.
>
> Sorry, Rick. From what Dave says, it sounds like we will still be
> "enjoying" the haunting sounds of yodeling at OSH for many years to
> come.
>
> :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

This is the word direct from Tom P.

LEGENDARY EAA YODELER PASSES AWAY
We were saddened this week to hear of Bill Ricketts' death after a battle
with
cancer. Bill was the legendary "EAA Yodeler," who awakened campers at
AirVenture every morning for more than 20 years. His performances became
part
of the unique fabric of the event and were noted by attendees, volunteers
and
the media. Fortunately, many of his yodels have been recorded so that
wake-up
call will not be lost forever. Our condolences go to Bill's family and his !
many
friends in the Communications Center "Green Gang" volunteer group. His
family
has directed any memorials in his name to go to the EAA Young Eagles Program
or
the American Lung Association of Maryland.

Google