PDA

View Full Version : Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day

Deborah McFarland
June 27th 05, 06:09 PM
July 4, 2005. Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day and Fly-In, Jasper,
Ga. (JZP) Vintage Flights and Alpha Helicopter will hop rides. Static
Displays. Children's Tent. Fly-in and have lots of fun in conjunction with
the city of Jasper's Fourth of July festivities. Contact: Pickens County
Airport at 706/253-8830 or event organizer, Deborah McFarland at
.

The first 100 kids will receive a free "Front Porch Gang" t-shirt (
http://home.alltel.net/damcfarland/ ) and a bag of aviation-related goodies.
There will be concessions on the field (Bubba's BBQ as well as hot dogs and
hamburgers).

All local pilots are invited to attend! Most of the crowd arrives after the
parade at 10:30 am.

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)

W P Dixon
June 27th 05, 06:53 PM
Hi Deborah,
Do yall happen to have a CFI down there with a Luscombe? I really really
really want to try one out! ;) Flying another Champ in Southwest Ohio this
coming weekend, wish I could make it down to see the McFarland
Squadron!!!!!!! ;)

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech
"Deborah McFarland" > wrote in message
> July 4, 2005. Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day and Fly-In, Jasper,
> Ga. (JZP) Vintage Flights and Alpha Helicopter will hop rides. Static
> Displays. Children's Tent. Fly-in and have lots of fun in conjunction with
> the city of Jasper's Fourth of July festivities. Contact: Pickens County
> Airport at 706/253-8830 or event organizer, Deborah McFarland at
> .
>

> The first 100 kids will receive a free "Front Porch Gang" t-shirt (
> http://home.alltel.net/damcfarland/ ) and a bag of aviation-related
> goodies. There will be concessions on the field (Bubba's BBQ as well as
> hot dogs and hamburgers).
>

> All local pilots are invited to attend! Most of the crowd arrives after
> the parade at 10:30 am.
>

> Deb
>

> --
> 1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
> 1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)
> 1954 Cessna 195B, restoring (Ours)
> Jasper, Ga. (JZP)

Deborah McFarland
June 27th 05, 07:47 PM
In the north metro Atlanta area:

Tom Shaw instructs out of Winder flight school at WDR. His home telephone.
706-654-2011; cell 706-658-7135. He has a Luscombe and has done many
Luscombe checkouts and zillions of tailwheel endorsements.

James Tatum at Habersham County (AJR) is 706-778-9978. Very nice gentleman
and a great airport! He has a Champ and Luscombe time.

James Collins at Calhoun (CZL) can be reached at Home: 706-232-1865.
Airport: 706-602-8000. No airplane, but this was/is my instructor, and he
can fly anything without training wheels including Luscombes of various
models.

Jimmy Garland is at S&S Aviation at Cherokee County (47A). He can be reached
at 770-479-6389. Again, no tailwheel airplane to rent, but he can give you
an endorsement in a Luscombe.

Try http://www.popav.com/Luscombe/ for more Luscombe information. A word of
caution: if you purchase a Luscombe, don't let a CFI in it unless he or she
has Luscombe time. More of our airplanes are groundlooped by inept CFIs than
any other cause. Luscombes are a dream to fly, but they are not Citabrias.

Come by when ya can, I'll give you a ride in each. They handle differently.

Deb

--

"W P Dixon" > wrote in message
> Hi Deborah,
> Do yall happen to have a CFI down there with a Luscombe? I really really
> really want to try one out! ;) Flying another Champ in Southwest Ohio this
> coming weekend, wish I could make it down to see the McFarland
> Squadron!!!!!!! ;)
>
> Patrick
> student SPL
> aircraft structural mech

W P Dixon
June 27th 05, 08:24 PM
Thanks,
I will have to give those fellows a ring! I had checked around up here
and online and had come up with the big zero! But of course you can't even
find a Champ to rent up here. 7 hour drive Friday night to fly Saturday
morning!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Deborah McFarland" > wrote in message
> In the north metro Atlanta area:
>
> Tom Shaw instructs out of Winder flight school at WDR. His home telephone.
> 706-654-2011; cell 706-658-7135. He has a Luscombe and has done many
> Luscombe checkouts and zillions of tailwheel endorsements.
>
> James Tatum at Habersham County (AJR) is 706-778-9978. Very nice gentleman
> and a great airport! He has a Champ and Luscombe time.
>
> James Collins at Calhoun (CZL) can be reached at Home: 706-232-1865.
> Airport: 706-602-8000. No airplane, but this was/is my instructor, and he
> can fly anything without training wheels including Luscombes of various
> models.
>
> Jimmy Garland is at S&S Aviation at Cherokee County (47A). He can be
> reached at 770-479-6389. Again, no tailwheel airplane to rent, but he can
> give you an endorsement in a Luscombe.
>
> Try http://www.popav.com/Luscombe/ for more Luscombe information. A word
> of caution: if you purchase a Luscombe, don't let a CFI in it unless he or
> she has Luscombe time. More of our airplanes are groundlooped by inept
> CFIs than any other cause. Luscombes are a dream to fly, but they are not
> Citabrias.
>
> Come by when ya can, I'll give you a ride in each. They handle
> differently.
>
> Deb
>
> --
> 1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
> 1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)
> 1954 Cessna 195B, restoring (Ours)
> Jasper, Ga. (JZP)
>
> "W P Dixon" > wrote in message
>> Hi Deborah,
>> Do yall happen to have a CFI down there with a Luscombe? I really
>> really really want to try one out! ;) Flying another Champ in Southwest
>> Ohio this coming weekend, wish I could make it down to see the McFarland
>> Squadron!!!!!!! ;)
>>
>> Patrick
>> student SPL
>> aircraft structural mech

kontiki
June 27th 05, 09:24 PM
Great little airport! I practiced many a touch and go up there.
Wish I could fly up for the get-together but I'll be working. :^(

Here's a link to pic I took on final approach to runway 34 one time
a few years ago... http://www.frontiernet.net/~kontiki/pickens.jpg

Good luck with the fly in!

larsen-tools
June 27th 05, 11:42 PM
I jumped at Pickens County airport in 1962, but I thought I was in South
Carolina.
Am I loosing my mind or did they move it ?? ...... it was a dirt strip at
the time.

"Deborah McFarland" > wrote in message
> July 4, 2005. Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day and Fly-In, Jasper,
> Ga. (JZP) Vintage Flights and Alpha Helicopter will hop rides. Static
> Displays. Children's Tent. Fly-in and have lots of fun in conjunction with
> the city of Jasper's Fourth of July festivities. Contact: Pickens County
> Airport at 706/253-8830 or event organizer, Deborah McFarland at
> .
>

> The first 100 kids will receive a free "Front Porch Gang" t-shirt (
> http://home.alltel.net/damcfarland/ ) and a bag of aviation-related
goodies.
> There will be concessions on the field (Bubba's BBQ as well as hot dogs
and
> hamburgers).
>

> All local pilots are invited to attend! Most of the crowd arrives after
the
> parade at 10:30 am.
>

> Deb
>

> --
> 1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
> 1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)
> 1954 Cessna 195B, restoring (Ours)
> Jasper, Ga. (JZP)

Deborah McFarland
June 28th 05, 01:19 AM
You have not lost your mind. Pickens, South Carolina is almost 100 miles due
east of us. There's Pickens County, Ala. and a Jasper, TN, too. The unicom
frequency can get confusing sometimes on clear days!

Deb

--

"larsen-tools" > wrote in message
>I jumped at Pickens County airport in 1962, but I thought I was in South
> Carolina.
> Am I loosing my mind or did they move it ?? ...... it was a dirt strip at
> the time.

Kyle Boatright
June 28th 05, 02:04 AM
Is the Red Barn up and running again?

For those of you unfamiliar with the area, the Red Barn is/was a very large
store just off the Pickens County airport that specialized in outdoor
stuff - hunting, camping, fishing, etc. A great Saturday destination if
you'd already eaten your $100 hamburger and had another $500 or $1,000
burning a hole in your pocket. Once you'd spent that money, you could just
fly to Falcon Field, which is 60 or so miles South, and spend the rest of
your inheritance at Aircraft Spruce East...

Unfortunately, the Red Barn burned a year or so ago, and I'm not sure if it
has been rebuilt/reopened...

KB

Deborah McFarland
June 28th 05, 02:50 AM
"Kyle Boatright" > wrote in message
> Is the Red Barn up and running again?

They put up a yellow tent immediately to sell seasonal stuff and opened a
small store for clothing. The new building is coming along, and the style is
more southern in design. The big red barn helps us find the airport ;-).

Deb

--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)
1948 Luscombe 8E (Hers)
1954 Cessna 195B, restoring (Ours)

Jasper, Ga. (JZP)
> For those of you unfamiliar with the area, the Red Barn is/was a very
> large store just off the Pickens County airport that specialized in
> outdoor stuff - hunting, camping, fishing, etc. A great Saturday
> destination if you'd already eaten your $100 hamburger and had another
> $500 or $1,000 burning a hole in your pocket. Once you'd spent that
> money, you could just fly to Falcon Field, which is 60 or so miles South,
> and spend the rest of your inheritance at Aircraft Spruce East...
>
> Unfortunately, the Red Barn burned a year or so ago, and I'm not sure if
> it has been rebuilt/reopened...
>
> KB

Mike Gaskins
June 28th 05, 04:03 AM
That had me a bit confused too. I went to college at Clemson (which is
in Pickens County SC) and though it was close to the border, I didn't
think it was THAT close :).

As to the event, maybe next year. Still working on my PPL and it's
further than I'd like to drive (I'm down near Charleston, SC). Sounds
like great fun though!!

Mike Gaskins

Deborah McFarland wrote:
> You have not lost your mind. Pickens, South Carolina is almost 100 miles due
> east of us. There's Pickens County, Ala. and a Jasper, TN, too. The unicom
> frequency can get confusing sometimes on clear days!

larsen-tools
June 28th 05, 02:47 PM
Mike, I went to Clemson too, '66, but that's in Ocone County.
As I'm fond of saying, "the most I ever got to be in life was vice-president
of the Dixie Sky Divers, 1963, Clemson, South Carolina."
I'm in Encinitas, CA ... and not current..... otherwise, I'd like to be
there too.
I checked my atlas after my first post and yes, they have a Pickens County
in GA ....... I think my mind is slipping anyway.

"Mike Gaskins" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> That had me a bit confused too. I went to college at Clemson (which is
> in Pickens County SC) and though it was close to the border, I didn't
> think it was THAT close :).
>
> As to the event, maybe next year. Still working on my PPL and it's
> further than I'd like to drive (I'm down near Charleston, SC). Sounds
> like great fun though!!
>
> Mike Gaskins
>
> Deborah McFarland wrote:
> > You have not lost your mind. Pickens, South Carolina is almost 100 miles
due
> > east of us. There's Pickens County, Ala. and a Jasper, TN, too. The
unicom
> > frequency can get confusing sometimes on clear days!

larsen-tools
June 28th 05, 03:21 PM
See, I told you so, my mind IS slipping.......
Clemson is in Oconee County. :-)

> Mike, I went to Clemson too, '66, but that's in Ocone County.
> As I'm fond of saying, "the most I ever got to be in life was
vice-president
> of the Dixie Sky Divers, 1963, Clemson, South Carolina."
> I'm in Encinitas, CA ... and not current..... otherwise, I'd like to be
> there too.
> I checked my atlas after my first post and yes, they have a Pickens County
> in GA ....... I think my mind is slipping anyway.
>

> "Mike Gaskins" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > That had me a bit confused too. I went to college at Clemson (which is
> > in Pickens County SC) and though it was close to the border, I didn't
> > think it was THAT close :).
> >
> > As to the event, maybe next year. Still working on my PPL and it's
> > further than I'd like to drive (I'm down near Charleston, SC). Sounds
> > like great fun though!!
> >
> > Mike Gaskins
> >
> > Deborah McFarland wrote:
> > > You have not lost your mind. Pickens, South Carolina is almost 100
miles
> due
> > > east of us. There's Pickens County, Ala. and a Jasper, TN, too. The
> unicom
> > > frequency can get confusing sometimes on clear days!

larsen-tools
June 28th 05, 05:45 PM
Mike, you are correct.

"Mike Gaskins" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Actually, no, Clemson is in Pickens County. When you cross the bridge
> going towards Seneca you enter Oconee County ;). It's only about a
> quarter mile drive from the University to the border so it is pretty
> close.
>
> Some of the town of Clemson might actually straddle the the county
> lines, but most of the town and the University for sure is in Pickens
> County.

Mike Gaskins
June 28th 05, 06:22 PM
Actually, no, Clemson is in Pickens County. When you cross the bridge
going towards Seneca you enter Oconee County ;). It's only about a
quarter mile drive from the University to the border so it is pretty
close.

Some of the town of Clemson might actually straddle the the county
lines, but most of the town and the University for sure is in Pickens
County.

June 29th 05, 12:18 AM
larsen-tools wrote:
> I jumped at Pickens County airport in 1962, but I thought I was in South
> Carolina.
> Am I loosing my mind or did they move it ?? ...... it was a dirt strip at
> the time.

It's big and paved now and slightly corporate after a big growth spurt
in Pickens, SC and Pickens County.

I fly over it occasionally on the way over the lakes to Clemson from
Hendersonville, NC.

Beautiful trip over mountains and valleys, btw, and Clemson has a great
little paved airport too.

larsen-tools
June 29th 05, 01:36 AM
A friend sent me to www.pickensairport.com
It sure didn't look like that in '62.
I remember a rough dirt strip, jumping from SuperCub, going through a tree
and landing in a stream, at dusk in October.
We started jumping at the Clemson airport in Nov '63...... a grass
strip...... much better.

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> larsen-tools wrote:
> > I jumped at Pickens County airport in 1962, but I thought I was in South
> > Carolina.
> > Am I loosing my mind or did they move it ?? ...... it was a dirt strip
at
> > the time.
> >

> It's big and paved now and slightly corporate after a big growth spurt
> in Pickens, SC and Pickens County.
>
> I fly over it occasionally on the way over the lakes to Clemson from
> Hendersonville, NC.
>
> Beautiful trip over mountains and valleys, btw, and Clemson has a great
> little paved airport too.

Wizard of Draws
July 1st 05, 02:54 AM
On 6/27/05 1:09 PM, in article ,
"Deborah McFarland" > spewed:

> July 4, 2005. Pickens County Airport Appreciation Day and Fly-In, Jasper,
> Ga. (JZP) Vintage Flights and Alpha Helicopter will hop rides. Static
> Displays. Children's Tent. Fly-in and have lots of fun in conjunction with
> the city of Jasper's Fourth of July festivities. Contact: Pickens County
> Airport at 706/253-8830 or event organizer, Deborah McFarland at
> .
>

> The first 100 kids will receive a free "Front Porch Gang" t-shirt (
> http://home.alltel.net/damcfarland/ ) and a bag of aviation-related goodies.
> There will be concessions on the field (Bubba's BBQ as well as hot dogs and
> hamburgers).
>

> All local pilots are invited to attend! Most of the crowd arrives after the
> parade at 10:30 am.
>

> Deb

I'll have to stop in.
--