PDA

View Full Version : views on Apache 235 twin?

June 29th 05, 07:29 PM
I am considering purchasing one of these "cheap" twins but before even
making the long trip to check it out, I am wondering if there are any
views on the flight characteristics and costs of ownership of this
plane. Is it a difficult thing to land? Single engine performance and
stall and other flight characteristics?

Thanks,

Tien

Denny
June 30th 05, 12:15 PM
Performance numbers for aircraft are on the web... Do a search and in
0.15 seconds you shall know...

The Apache is a sweetheart to land... Your questions suggest a degree
of inexperience... I'm wondering if starting with owning a single might
be the better chioce... Only you can answer that...

Good luck ... denny

June 30th 05, 12:28 PM
Tien,

No twin is "cheap" other than for the initial purchase.

The 235 has been reviewed by Aviation Consumer, so you might want to
look it up.

The hydraulic system can be extremely expensive to maintain. Handling
is about as benign as it comes for a twin and single engine performance
is as one would expect in a piston twin - lousy (although better than
some). Figure on losing 90% of rate of climb with a loss of an engine.

The 235 Apache was an intermediate step to the Aztec. Folks who own
them seem to like them, but you put a lot of fuel through those engines
to go slowly, after all, the Apache is the world's largest flying sweet
potato.

No matter what you do, insist on a very detailed prepurchase
inspection. An Apache can have a negative value if it is in poor
condition, and many are. You can buy the thnigs for $40,000 and have
to put $60,000 into it to make it airworthy.

All the best,
Rick

Google